Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's some amazing printing. You certainly get what you pay for. :Cool:

Comment

• I added all the files I'm using to my account on Shapeways, you can choose a different material if you want but I set the default to the "Frosted Ultra Detail".
      TiredIron Aviation
      Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Thanks for the info. Definitely a premier service for that quality detail and finish but it looks very good.

Comment

• Got the B-24 and finally cleared some space in the garage to start working on it. 1.5 weeks post move and the project has begun. I’ve got a long way to go.

Comment

• Painted the cowlings and doing Witchcraft at 100 missions.

Comment

• Here's a graphic to go behind the pilots, just cut the foam between the seat and wall and side it down into place. Printed graphic should be 3.75" X 2".

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear_Cockpit_View.png
Views:	1113
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	110937

Name:	20171230_194711045_iOS.jpg
Views:	933
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	110942

Name:	20171230_220018614_iOS.jpg
Views:	865
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	110938

Name:	20171230_220105640_iOS.jpg
Views:	873
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	110939

Name:	20171230_220132122_iOS.jpg
Views:	852
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	110941

Name:	20171230_170223000_iOS.jpg
Views:	886
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	110940

TiredIron Aviation

Comment

• Originally posted by SPUD 37 View Post
                Painted the cowlings and doing Witchcraft at 100 missions.
                Mind sharing what paint you used? Looks like a nice match.

Comment

• Originally posted by mirored View Post

Mind sharing what paint you used? Looks like a nice match.
                  I had some made up at Lowes.....The grey was a good match, but the green was off. So I mixed my own up from Tamiya colors khaki drab and added buff until it matched. I think someone had theirs posted a page or two back. They used Home Depot. Here's the photo they had. His looked real good in the post. Yeah post 641 and 652. Hope this helps.

Comment

• Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post
                    Here's a graphic to go behind the pilots, just cut the foam between the seat and wall and side it down into place. Printed graphic should be 3.75" X 2".

Name:	Rear_Cockpit_View.png
Views:	1113
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	110937

Name:	20171230_194711045_iOS.jpg
Views:	933
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	110942

Name:	20171230_220018614_iOS.jpg
Views:	865
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	110938

Name:	20171230_220105640_iOS.jpg
Views:	873
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	110939

Name:	20171230_220132122_iOS.jpg
Views:	852
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	110941

Name:	20171230_170223000_iOS.jpg
Views:	886
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	110940
                    Wow! What a difference that makes. Very nice. :Cool:

Comment

• Originally posted by SPUD 37 View Post

I had some made up at Lowes.....The grey was a good match, but the green was off. So I mixed my own up from Tamiya colors khaki drab and added buff until it matched. I think someone had theirs posted a page or two back. They used Home Depot. Here's the photo they had. His looked real good in the post. Yeah post 641 and 652. Hope this helps.
                      Thanks, I can work with this.

Comment

• TI, nice work on painting the cockpit details! And thanks for another graphic.

Comment

• Originally posted by NoDirt! View Post
                          TI, nice work on painting the cockpit details! And thanks for another graphic.
                          No problem, thanks for the compliment!
                          TiredIron Aviation

Comment

No problem, thanks for the compliment!
                            Nice addition, TI! One question for you or anyone else, not a big deal, but does it look like the stock pilots are overly large, especially if you compare them to the 1/18 scale P-51 pilots? I also added one (of the 1/18 scale pilots) to the nose turret and the head of one in the top turret. But they seem significantly smaller than the pilot figures in the cockpit. I probably won't change anything, but was thinking if I get the upgraded cockpit interior, I might put a couple more 1/18 scale pilots in there for consistency.

Comment

• Improper scale pilot figures are very common in foamy ARF/PNP/RTF models.
                              FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

• They make them oversize for grass field ops. No, wait, that's the wheels. LOL

Comment

• Today, Success with the maiden flight on my B-24! Had my friend Shaq do the maiden to be sure nothing crazy happened, but it flew beautifully in the cold, windy morning. My dad, who flew a plane looking just like this in WWII, would have been 100 years old tomorrow had he lived.
                                  I did a number of changes on this airplane so far: repainting the plane to one flown by my dad with the 446th BG, 705th BS, in December 1943 when they started their combat tour out of England. Converted the nose turret from a Consolidated to Emerson (Emerson turrets were more cylindrical versus the angled glass Consolidated turrets that come with the model). Redid windows in nose area per a H model that this depicts. Added scale (ish) main gear doors, redid waist windows and added wind screen in front of the hatch. Replaced nose wheel with 2.25" dia. nose wheel for more scale appearance, no problem using this on hard surface, by the way. Also added movable top and nose turrets (inspired by Tired Iron!).
                                  Still to do: add nose gear doors, and looking into adding a ball turret maybe with some printed parts, not sure yet. Great start for this airplane and its first flight! Happy New Year, everyone!!

Comment

• Looks fantastic! I bet your Pap was smiling down on you ;)
                                    TiredIron Aviation

Comment

Looks fantastic! I bet your Pap was smiling down on you ;)
                                      Thanks, TI. It was a fun project for me to do and I look forward to enjoying flying it many times in the future. It was extremely stable and flew in a very scale like manner.

Comment

• Bomb bay doors...

Posted this in rcgroups, since I am having some success thought I would cross post here...there's a bit more detail in the rcgroups listing, and those interested in how I cut the fuselage should go here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=1127

This is build #2, #1 had some design flaws (if interested in #1, details at rcgroups). I decided to redo the tracks in order to have deeper channels to hopefully reduce binding. I also went to 1/8" balsa for all main formers for same reason. Pics pretty well show what I did. Some notes:

1. The 1/8" former is carefully sanded down a bit to allow for the 1/64" ply that will be glued around it to allow track channels to be made.
                                        2. The Depron copy is ultimately used to support one side of the track channel. It is first used to push the 1/64" ply against the spacer. The three ply layers on the front and back sections are 1/2", 3/8", and 1/2" wide, respectively.
                                        3. If you think the former looks a little odd, it is. Turns out the fuselage sides are not symmetrical, one side is bit rounder than the other. You don't notice it unless doing something like this.
                                        4. The spacer is 3mm depron, which I happen to have a supply of, but could easily be 1/8" balsa.
                                        5. The back former is done the same as the front. The middle former is different in that you have to do channels on both sides, and ply widths are changed accordingly. It is still a 1/2" wide of ply around the middle former (former is in the middle of the ply width), then 3/16" wide ply, then 5/16" wide around the Depron matching formers.
                                        6. The torque rod holes and spar holes followed the patterns from Take one, they don't change.
                                        7. The front and back formers are glued so that they are flush against the fuselage. The middle former is glued in place, measuring to be sure the side and top distances between formers are the same. On mine, the front bay is 5 3/4" long, the rear is 5 7/8" long.

Next the doors, where I have made some changes from design 1 as well...Pete M

Comment

• A quick read comparing two war fighters 60 years separated. Ed Avena, one of the two, is who I am building the 146" Don Smith B24 in honor of.

Comment

Working...
                                          X