X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post

He's probably busy playing with a new toy.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20180105_041135146_iOS.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	111671
    TiredIron Aviation
    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• See... I was right.

Comment

• Hahahaa... go figure. Nice one, TI. :Cool:

Regatoni, again, outstanding job, shipmate! :Cool:

Comment

• Originally posted by whstlngdeath View Post
          OV10,
          I measure the strut length of the main gear at 120mm from axle to where it mates with the trunnion.

Jesse
          Thanx Jesse ;)
          Glad your good TI........maybe rephrase that and say your OK brother LOL
          Warbird Charlie
          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post

Name:	20180105_041135146_iOS.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	111671
            TI, your 104 is looking fair and balanced!:Cool:

Comment

• Nice news pun! :Cool:
              Current Fleet: Flightline Tigercat, Flightline Bearcat, Eflite Corsair, ESM Skyraider, Pilot RC Yak-54 30%:corsair

Comment

• Originally posted by ruffneckx1 View Post
                Davegee...........I'm not really sure as to the scale of the B-17. For me it will serve the purpose. I hope to be able to extend/retract.In the air the difference in scale will be hard to tell. It'll be easier then trying to scratch build one.

Might be a moot point as they appear to be sold out.

Woody
                they will be back in stock, eventually. I have put a request to be informed when they are. I will buy one, just to see if it will work for me. It will probably be close enough in size to work, I would think. If you get one too, please post in HS how it came out!
                cheers

Comment

• A couple more sets have been added! Black Cat was the last American bomber to be shot down over Germany in World War II.

On 21 April 1945 at around 06:30 local time 137 B-24 bombers from the 466th Bombardment Group departed from their air force base near Norfolk, England to bomb a railway bridge in Salzburg, Austria. Within the formation, Black Cat led the third squadron. However once the target was reached four hours later, the mission had to be abandoned due to the heavy cloud and thunderstorms covering the area. The lead aircraft flew a return course over Regensburg. This decision was queried by several navigators in the formation because Regensburg was a heavily bombed and defended city: it was home to the Messerschmitt factory which had been the Eighth Air Force's first major bombing target of the war in August 1943.

At 20,000 feet above Regensburg, the formation received eight bursts of flak. Black Cat was the only casualty. It was struck by a shell on the left wing causing the aircraft to crash. Ten of the crew were killed including the pilot, Richard Farrington. The tail gunner, Albert Seraydarian, and the bombardier, Chris Manners, survived and were liberated from German POW camps within a few weeks. (info from Wikipedia)

Name:	b-24 black cat.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	111721Click image for larger version

Name:	b-24 slow time sally.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	111722

Comment

• One more... Georgia Peach.

B-24J-45-CO Liberator
                    s/n 42-73445
                    375th BS, 308th BG, 14th AF
                    Destroyed in a take-off accident at Nadzab Airfield on April 2,1944

Name:	B-24 GEORGIA PEACH.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	111730

B-24J-45-CO Liberator, s/n 42-73445, 375th BS, 308th BG, 14th AFDestroyed in a take-off accident at Nadzab Airfield on April 2,1944.

Comment

• 'Tupelo Lass' a Ploesti survivor from the 93rd BG / 409th BS is RTF. Just waiting on a few extra graphics from Callie. Everything tested well including Mr. RC Sound and the rotating upper turret.. DX9 is programmed. Will do Brandenmoon's light mod soon but maybe not to the extreme he did with the formation led's . I'm already starting to get a rats nest. Maybe Just the retractable landing lights and some nav lights . Pics and vid to come soon, hopefully this weekend if I can get to the field..

Another test was absolutely superb: She fits inside my Ford Explorer without taking her apart. I'm stoked ! Just removed the magnetic nose so I wouldn't damage the machine gun . Perfect !

Can't wait to maiden this one. A lot of personal attachment to it.
                      Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
                      Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
                      I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

• Has anyone else had any problems with their B-24? Mine has crashed twice now with only 3 attempts to fly it. The first one crashed due to ailerons reversing after pre-flights were compleeted and verified by 5 experienced pilots. I troubleshot what the cause was and replaced the control board due to a huge amount of corrosion on the back side of the circuit card. Pics added. The second crash was caused by a new fresh out of the package propeller exploding inwhich tore off the #1 nacell and rolled the plane over and into the ground. This all happened at the point the bomber rotated for take off. Also pics added. I’m not trying to put a bad rep on the bird but mine is absolutly cursed therefore making me replace the nose art into “Humpty Dumpty” since it’s been put back together again. Well atleast twice this is the url for the video of the crash https://youtu.be/wq3-fcezWug I hope it links up.
                        Last edited by 4923crew; Jan 5, 2018, 08:05 PM. Reason: Added URL for video of crash

Comment

• Ailerons will seem to reverse if you are near stall. Its Adverse Yaw and I used to demonstrate turning left with full right rudder and full right aileron using a plane that was very predictable about how it reacted.

Multi-engine planes can be EXTREMELY sensitive to loss of an outboard engine just after lift off because they are near stall and you may not have airspeed to make the correction with rudder. Using the ailerons can be a death sentence in this situation. Kill power to ALL and get the nose down. Apply power slowly and carefully if you are going to attempt going around, but its generally better to just pull up the wheels and take the grass.

I dial in significant differential aileron for takeoff and landing of a multi-engine to help combat the adverse yaw issues. (DX-18, flight modes)
                          FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

• Dang, not a flight report I was hoping for. Sorry to hear that. You’’ have already sustained battle damage . Nice for weathering. LOL. Just kidding. Possible that control board suffered excess salt air moisture from trip over in the sea container ? I’’ve never experienced that but can’t think of another reason for corrosion.

How do think the prop came off on your second incident ?

I have heard a few reports that this plane wants to rotate prematurely before there’s enough airspeed to sustain the take off. I have ground looped a few. I’m definately gonna look to keep the nose down as long as possible.

Keep us posted.

Hawk
                            Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39

Comment

• Originally posted by dahawk View Post
                              Possible that control board suffered excess salt air moisture from trip over in the sea container ? I’’ve never experienced that but can’t think of another reason for corrosion.
                              Hawk
                              Since the product boxes are pretty well sealed up it is highly doubtful that it is salt air induced corrosion.
                              The more probable cause based on the pic is chemical corrosion most likely caused by the board not being properly cleaned with a solvent after the soldering process to remove the corrosion agent of flux.
                              The white powderish looking residue only around the solder joints and no place else is indicative of liquid flux squirted on the through hole joints for soldering and the corrosive white appears after having been soldered.
                              My knowledge base.............I had 30+ folks working for me in a DoD circuit card manufacturing facility in the early 80's that made the computer cards that went in the Space Shuttle.
                              If it is any consolation to 4923crew, most likely an unfortunate isolated case that he shouldn't worry about on his replacement.
                              Warbird Charlie
                              HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Justgot this picture from my buddies B-24 i had him look at his before he maidens his bird

Comment

• Looks like they have an assembly line issue. Not properly cleaning the circuit boards after assembly.

Thinking about it a little...

They are probably using the wrong flux.
                                  Acid flux is for plumbing. Rosin flux doesn't cause corrosion that fast.
                                  FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

• Originally posted by fhhuber View Post
                                    Looks like they have an assembly line issue. Not properly cleaning the circuit boards after assembly.

Thinking about it a little...

They are probably using the wrong flux.
                                    Acid flux is for plumbing. Rosin flux doesn't cause corrosion that fast.
                                    Yes it can
                                    Warbird Charlie

Comment

• I would hope that this discovered chemical corrosion issue is something that slipped through undetected and is not a widespread bad practice and potential looming time bomb.

The flight reports are just just now starting to come in and this is the first I have heard about a possible manufacturing practice problem. Fingers crossed that it was a one-off . Maybe it was a Monday.

My antenna’s will be up.

Comment

• When I get mine, if this is found I'm blasting it with corrosionx and cleaning it as best I can before the build begins

Comment

• If found, what should be used to properly clean these boards?
                                          I do have CorrosionX

Comment

Working...
                                          X