Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sounds like one is out of synch at times. Hard to say more than that.

You definitely need a prop load for actual testing and you need the props for motor cooling, even though the motors won't make as much heat with no load as when loaded.

The minor variance in friction in the motors due to the bearings never (ever) being identical will amplify any imbalance when there is no prop load. Getting perfect synch through the full throttle range is virtually impossible. Even APC grey molded composite props from the same production run are not really identical. (very close... and those are the best at being matched that I know of)

Someone (many years ago) built a scale B-25 using a .35ci on one side and a .40ci on the other. Absolutely never in synch. It flew just fine.

Full scale multi-engine planes of the 1930's through 1950's they often flew with each engine at a different throttle setting to eliminate the need for rudder trim. (or eliminate the need for the pilot to keep pressure on one rudder pedal for several hours)
    FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
      I would advise caution running up the motors for an extended period of time without props attached. It's a good way to burn something out prematurely. I would put the props on, then take it outside and run it up to see if you still hear the noise, and to see if any motors are not pulling as hard as the others.
      Will do sir! Only ran them for the two minute video, and just up and down before filing. wouldn't think that was enough time to heat up to bad, do you? But I get what your saying, don't make a habit of it, or don't run them very much.
      Thanks. Jim

Comment

• Running a motor for any length of time without a prop, especially at full throttle, could quickly damaged the motor and/or ESC. The only time I ever run mine without a prop is to check rotation, and that's only for a few seconds.
        Pat

Comment

• Programming these esc's - I reversed the throttle to negative since I am using Futaba gear. I reduced the throttle top end. I started with full throttle and reduced to low. Still no luck on calibration. These are a tough bugger to figure out. Any other suggestions?

Comment

• Futaba has reduced range of values vs most others. Crank its range up to max both ways. (I think that was 150% for the 8UAP)

Default 0 throttle with trim all the way down on Futaba is about 90% of JR/Spektrum default full throttle pulse value with trim centered. (recognizing that you need to reverse throttle, but assuming you hadn't)
            Similarly the default Futaba full with trim all the way up is still above 10% Jr/Spectrum's default full throttle pulse value.
            Without extending the range of the Futaba into 120% to 150% (computer travel range adjustment) you need to use the trims to be able to program and arm some ESCs

Comment

• I'm guessing, so take it as that, but, did you calibrate the ESC's?
              I'm wondering if that could help????

Grossman56
              Team Gross!

Comment

• I haven't even tried my old Futaba radio with the ESCs Freewing uses.

I ran into several ESCs (including 2 by Electrifly, which don't need Futaba throttle channel reversed) that simply would not work without using ATV/Endpoint adjustments to extend the values of the throttle stick range as I described above.

If you can't feed the expected low throttle value to some ESCs, they just won't "arm" (initialize and allow you to turn on the motor) Default expected is more often based on the default throttle stick range values from JR/Spektrum/Airtronics (and their clones) than from Futaba (and their clones.)

Comment

• Originally posted by snyder_man View Post
                  Programming these esc's - I reversed the throttle to negative since I am using Futaba gear. I reduced the throttle top end. I started with full throttle and reduced to low. Still no luck on calibration. These are a tough bugger to figure out. Any other suggestions?
                  Ok so throttle is reversed. How did you reverse it? Did you bind the rx? What happens when you plug in the flight batteries? Is throttle trim down?

Comment

• I looked into the ESC and discovered that it looks a LOT like a neutered version of the HobbyKing 30A ESC 3A UBEC. (I posted more info about this over on the RCG thread). I posted the following over there and am posting it here as well.

Unfortunately, the manual posted on MotionRC is not the correct one for the B-24 ESC. I just tested the beeping programming sequence and there are 22 sets of four pattern repeats - exactly as described in the HK30 manual attached below. Here is a screenshot of the 22 parameter Tx selections from the HK manual:

Click image for larger version

Name:	B-24_ESC_22_TONES.png
Views:	543
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	115309

I found that these patterns match up perfectly with what one of my Lib's ESC puts out.

[ATTACH]n115310[/ATTACH]
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by ridgerunner View Post
                      I looked into the ESC and discovered that it looks a LOT like a neutered version of the HobbyKing 30A ESC 3A UBEC. (I posted more info about this over on the RCG thread). I posted the following over there and am posting it here as well.

Unfortunately, the manual posted on MotionRC is not the correct one for the B-24 ESC. I just tested the beeping programming sequence and there are 22 sets of four pattern repeats - exactly as described in the HK30 manual attached below. Here is a screenshot of the 22 parameter Tx selections from the HK manual:

Click image for larger version

Name:	B-24_ESC_22_TONES.png
Views:	543
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	115309

I found that these patterns match up perfectly with what one of my Lib's ESC puts out.

[ATTACH]n115310[/ATTACH]
                      And this is why you want the programming card. Trying to deal with programming that by beep code and moving the TX stick will drive you batty. One error and you have to start over.

Comment

• Hello Ridgerunner,
                        There are only 2 Chinese ESC manufactures and both of which do distribution relabeling.
                        The Hobby King relabeling is actually manufactured by Hobbywing.
                        Hobbywing has been the primary provider to Freewing/Flight Line via the Skywalker line........ie on the A-10, P-38, F7F and so on.
                        Even though I can not see the label of the ESC in the Liberators spare parts listing, my bet is that it is a Hobbywing Skywalker.
                        The manual that you said you found with some help from kwhabq ( https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/10...iles/fwesc.pdf ) is absolutely not correct for the 30A device because it lists 40A and above devices.
                        I also see that Ryan asked if you tried using the HK program card which is the same as the Dynam and is now been relabeled to Tomcat Skylord.
                        https://www.motionrc.com/collections...ogramming-card.
                        I would suspect but haven't verified it yet that the Freewing/Hobbywing program card is the same. Physical configuration is identical.
                        https://www.motionrc.com/collections...ogramming-card.
                        Just more info for the investigation.;)
                        Best regards,
                        Warbird Charlie
                        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• The tones and beeps listed above are absolutely correct regardless of whatever else may be at play. I just shot a video and verified that these are what we need to be looking at in the event we need to program our esc's.

Comment

• I will put the ATVs back out to full on the throttle. Right now I am only getting two beeps and nothing else when I plug in the battery.
                            Snyder-man

Comment

• Originally posted by snyder_man View Post
                              I will put the ATVs back out to full on the throttle. Right now I am only getting two beeps and nothing else when I plug in the battery.
                              Snyder-man
                              What's "ATV"? You've tried reversing the throttle, but what does the monitor tell you where the throttle actually is? Did you lower throttle trim tab to the bottom?

Comment

• ATV = Adjustable Travel Volume. Sometimes you adjust each end of travel , sometimes just overall range.

It may be called End Point Adjust (EPA) if implemented one side at a time.

The monitor adjusts its range based on the ATV/EPA

Again... the default 100% range of Futaba may not allow proper operation of some ESCs. Non-computer radios without dual rate function sometimes you can get around it with the analog trim lever, pulling it all the way down along with the stick (which is appx 115% low throttle vs just the stick with trim centered) Then when setting throttle range, push the trim app the way up at the same time as the stick.

Take a Futaba radio and do a servo travel range test seeing how far it can rotate at default settings with trim centered.
                                Then take the same servo and check default range, trim centerd with Spektrum. It will travel more when commanded by the Spektrum.

Futaba max ATV is 150%
                                Spektrum max ATV is 120%.
                                These are actually very close to the same total travel range.

Comment

• Ahh, 'cause out here in Wyoming that would be an All Terrain Vehicle;)
                                  So you can see why that would cause confusion amoungst us cowboys.

Grossman56
                                  Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Prowler901 View Post
                                    Hey, does anybody know what this part is supposed to be for? It is file number 2 of the 3d models. Is it a gun mount for the waist gunners? And, if so, does the gun with the pin on the bottom (file 1) go in it?

Thanks.
                                    I looked for a reply to this but didn't see one. Does anyone know what that part is for? It appears that the pin on one of the guns fit within it.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

• When I received this for Christmas, I found the 3D printer files (STL) on the website. When I figured out how much a service charges to print the files, I decided to take on my own effort and purchased a 3D printer to learn this. Long story short, I have learned a lot in a short period and can print my own parts whenever I want. I have seen some items that were printed by another service and my output is far superior, if I say so myself. On top of that, I am using my Autocad experience to create 3D parts in their modelling program and can now print them out as well.

In that interest, I have drawn and printed a lot of files, improving on the previous one, until I got it where I want it. I have created a mount that holds a hitec HS55 servo to rotate a turntable to fit the flightline parts provided with the kit as well as the STL file outputs. This one is able to be used on the front and rear turrets. I am working on the same concept for the top turret. It is very clean and easy to install and maintain.

EDIT: Sorry for the order of the photos, not sure how to move them.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180204_103418.jpg Views:	1 Size:	63.3 KB ID:	115852Click image for larger version  Name:	20180204_103254.jpg Views:	1 Size:	63.9 KB ID:	115853Click image for larger version  Name:	20180204_102814.jpg Views:	1 Size:	88.4 KB ID:	115854Click image for larger version  Name:	20180204_102714.jpg Views:	1 Size:	98.0 KB ID:	115855Click image for larger version  Name:	20180204_103655.jpg Views:	1 Size:	84.8 KB ID:	115856Click image for larger version  Name:	20180204_103802.jpg Views:	1 Size:	49.9 KB ID:	115857Click image for larger version  Name:	20180204_103543.jpg Views:	1 Size:	83.4 KB ID:	115858Click image for larger version  Name:	20180204_103518.jpg Views:	1 Size:	72.8 KB ID:	115859Click image for larger version  Name:	20180204_102705.jpg Views:	1 Size:	119.4 KB ID:	115860Click image for larger version  Name:	20180204_103212.jpg Views:	1 Size:	82.7 KB ID:	115861

Comment

• Excellent work, mirored! :Cool: That looks fantastic. As for the two small pieces in your previous post. I believe they are mounts for the waste gunners positions. I've printed up all the parts as well, and that what I plan on using them for.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with the top turret. :)

Comment

• Hi, Crew New to the post and have been back flying for about 3 Years after taken off about 35 years for life. Just bought the B24 and ready to install the receiver. Where are you installing it, so the batteries do not interfere. Pictures would be great. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                          X