Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I gotta ask, anyone gonna try the retractable ball turret?

Comment

• brandonmoon has one working (I believe he is fine tuning it now), and I am working on one here and there as I finish my bomb bay doors (had to order some parts so in wait mode)...Pete M

Comment

• Of the 3D printed parts that can be printed from the STL files, any idea on which gun part is used for the upper turret. It isn't obvious to me.

Thanks

Andy

Comment

• Originally posted by Prowler901 View Post

Looking forward to seeing what you do with the top turret. :)
          Finished the top turret parts and installation. I modified the HS55 servo for 360 operation. Works extremely well and not a lot of room taken up inside the fuselage. Pretty happy with it.

I made one tool that has a slot for the X-Acto knife to cut a circle using the original turret pivot for center.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180205_101832.jpg
Views:	525
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	116041Click image for larger version

Name:	20180205_101849.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	116040Click image for larger version

Name:	20180205_102029.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	116039Click image for larger version

Name:	20180205_104710.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	116036Click image for larger version

Name:	20180205_104721.jpg
Views:	575
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	116038Click image for larger version

Name:	20180205_105114.jpg
Views:	559
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	116037Click image for larger version

Name:	20180205_105142.jpg
Views:	576
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	116043Click image for larger version

Name:	20180205_105125.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	116042

Comment

• Originally posted by mirored View Post

Finished the top turret parts and installation. I modified the HS55 servo for 360 operation. Works extremely well and not a lot of room taken up inside the fuselage. Pretty happy with it.
            Very neat install!

TiredIron Aviation
            Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Ingenious! That tool for the X-Acto is brilliant. :Cool: Any chance you might share the stl files? :)

Comment

Of the 3D printed parts that can be printed from the STL files, any idea on which gun part is used for the upper turret. It isn't obvious to me.

Thanks

Andy
                Use the barrels that come with the kit and glue them in the holes of the upper turret. I wish all the machine guns had come that way. I didn't like the 3-D printed barrels and cut them off. Drilled out the gun receivers and glued in the kit barrels for a better look.

Mark

Comment

• Originally posted by Prowler901 View Post
                  Ingenious! That tool for the X-Acto is brilliant. :Cool: Any chance you might share the stl files? :)
                  Shoot me a note at 4MRNAVY at gmail dot com

Comment

• Originally posted by zorkahn View Post

Use the barrels that come with the kit and glue them in the holes of the upper turret. I wish all the machine guns had come that way. I didn't like the 3-D printed barrels and cut them off. Drilled out the gun receivers and glued in the kit barrels for a better look.

Mark
                    When I saw the output of a vendor that printed items for a friend, I am not surprised that you would feel that way. The ones I am printing are equal or better looking than the ones from the kit. I might just cut a barrel from one of the 3D printed ones and glue it in to the turret. Maybe I just got lucky with the printer I obtained or got the upgrades to it just right. No matter, I am pretty thrilled over the new hobby of 3D printing and 3D modelling. My next endeavor is going to be a CAD/CAM cutting bed, probably laser. It should be illegal to have this much fun.

Comment

It should be illegal to have this much fun.
                      Right?! I have three separate hobbies going right now. And, this 3D printer fits nicely in each one. Kinda ties them all together. :)

Comment

• Does anyone know whatever happened to Motion carrying the 3D parts already printed? I suspect whatever Alpha was thinking in terms of printing them might be of better quality than what my friends have for printers.

Comment

• Originally posted by dkalwishky View Post
                          Does anyone know whatever happened to Motion carrying the 3D parts already printed? I suspect whatever Alpha was thinking in terms of printing them might be of better quality than what my friends have for printers.
                          3D printing 1-off for yourself is not too big a deal.

3D printing dozens or hundreds of different items and stocking them for sale is not practical. The 3D printing takes hundreds of times longer than injection molding and needs to be monitored so the parts can be removed from the printer for the next print. Then there's the packaging, labeling and then boxing for shipment....

What would cost you $0.20 to $0.50 to print yourself (some city libraries now have 3D printers that you pay per ft of the plastic off the reel) would end up being $10 to $20 to make it worthwhile for MotionRC to print it for you and then ship it to you.
                          FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

• I'm guessing the parts will be molded. Like you said, printing would be cost prohibitive.
                            And I hope they show up soon. I have my canopy and glass all removed waiting for their arrival

Comment

• Alpha was very specific in this thread when he said they would be 3D printed.

Comment

• DK..........I remember the Alpha posting. I hunted it down and it was post #8.
                                Yes he did say printed but there was also a caveat which was Motion would stock printed kits(not individual parts) if the interest in this sort of idea was popular. The term "popular" has a wide interpretation.
                                Here's a cut-n-paste from that post #8. I took the liberty of underlining relevant aspects of the posting.
                                Motion RC Exclusive:
                                As mentioned in Post #1, we're trying something new with the B-24 Liberator. Models like the Freewing MiG-21 and A-10, and the FlightLineRC F7F Tigercat really lit a fire in the "Inner Modeler" inside many of us, and we here at Motion RC were very gratified to see that. The photos of repaints and mods we've seen from pilots has really been inspiring. To continue that trend of encouraging Personalization and Customization, we have prepared 3D-Print-Ready files that fit perfectly into the B-24. For anyone with a 3D Printer, we'll be making these files available for download in about two weeks, and they'll be FREE while the first pre-order lasts. These files, just to start, comprise different detail Kits, allowing a modeler to further detail his/her B-24 with interior details. For those of you without access to a 3D printer, there are online companies that offer 3D printing service, and better yet, if the interest in this sort of idea is popular, we are prepared to stock printed Kits in our inventory that will just require paint and some glue to finish.
                                Warbird Charlie
                                HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• That's what I was looking for. So now how about an update on stocking these. I also found his thread asking people what other 3D kits they would like to see. Seems like this is being seriously considered.

Comment

• I'm sure they thought it would be a nice thing to do. But when you look at the economics of it, its just not practical for them to do it.
                                    FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

• Much depends on the printer quality. Big difference between the cheapie Hobby printers and professional grade.

My buddy had to do a lot of cleanup to the STL files provided.
                                      Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
                                      Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
                                      I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

• Originally posted by ridgerunner View Post
                                        I looked into the ESC and discovered that it looks a LOT like a neutered version of the HobbyKing 30A ESC 3A UBEC. (I posted more info about this over on the RCG thread). I posted the following over there and am posting it here as well.

Unfortunately, the manual posted on MotionRC is not the correct one for the B-24 ESC. I just tested the beeping programming sequence and there are 22 sets of four pattern repeats - exactly as described in the HK30 manual attached below. Here is a screenshot of the 22 parameter Tx selections from the HK manual:

Click image for larger version

Name:	B-24_ESC_22_TONES.png
Views:	543
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	115309

I found that these patterns match up perfectly with what one of my Lib's ESC puts out.

[ATTACH]n115310[/ATTACH]
                                        Just letting everyone know we've update the ESC Setup guide on the product pages and here is a video showing you what you should be listening for when calibrating your ESC's. (disregard the thumbnail saying Strut Upgrade, for some reason youtube isn't showing the real thumbnail)

Comment

• Originally posted by MotionJB View Post

Just letting everyone know we've update the ESC Setup guide on the product pages and here is a video showing you what you should be listening for when calibrating your ESC's. (disregard the thumbnail saying Strut Upgrade, for some reason youtube isn't showing the real thumbnail)
                                          Good stuff MotionJB. I always appreciate the efforts that Ryan does with the videos to help the users and am sure the updated ESC user guide is welcomed.
                                          In the case of programming these ECS's using the Tx and audible beeps, if the rest of the community is like me, this process of beep counting is the least favorite thing I like to do.
                                          I would much rather program an ESC using a programming card.
                                          Back on post #931 I indicated a possible one based on a suggestion from Ryan.
                                          Please tell the community what is the correct programming card to use.
                                          Best regards,
                                          Warbird Charlie
                                          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Working...
                                          X