X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
    Lots of good books about the English carrier pilots with the Corsair. Much different attitude than the Americans.
    Right! I believe they were the first to figure out how to get a Corsair safely on the deck using a continuous descending 180 degree turn from downwind leg and set up to landing attitude at the last second while they still had "some" forward visibility with that long nose! Quite a feat to accomplish that!

Comment

• Daveegee,, i always thought truk (chuuk) lagoon would b an awe inspiring place to go, for bit of a dive,, wrecks of all types😃

Comment

• Originally posted by f4u ausie View Post
        Daveegee,, i always thought truk (chuuk) lagoon would b an awe inspiring place to go, for bit of a dive,, wrecks of all types😃
        Yeah, I always dreamed of diving at Truk. But in 2014 I was part of an expedition to Palau where the team found the remains of a F6F Hellcat and its pilot, and a TBM Avenger, with two of the three crewmembers onboard. They were eventually returned to their relatives in the USA and got proper military burials. Others have been found over the years, too. It had a tremendous amount of aircraft that got shot down in 1944, I think about 80 aircraft. It was an amazing experience to be a small part of this expedition.

Comment

• Clearly would have been a life changing experience

Comment

• I think it was. Very difficult and challenging work. People come from all over the world to dive in Palau’s pristine tropical waters. But where we were searching often was near mangroves where visibilities were sometimes poor, next to zero. On the land, we searched for remains of executed POWs in areas where there is still unexploded ordnance (UXO). We had to have paths cleared for us in the thick jungles for us to do our work.

Comment

• My baby (got me into rc) ready to hit the air again ,,, its been a bit,,.. she always asks about some excersize with a zero,, but i look blanckly,, fline wont do a zero,,,,, anyway replaced a retract all good.. thought it needed 2 but one.... changed one from a left to a right retract not hard,, only diff is the trunnion... so sunday my fly day,, up she goes..... will report,, Click image for larger version

Name:	1711094465512910513920685376263.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	241.6 KB
ID:	399354 Click image for larger version

Name:	17110945251021242243678751000736.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	254.6 KB
ID:	399355

Comment

• f4u ausie, I, too, would love to see a 1600 mm "Zeke".

But alas, I think we are at the mercy of "EPO" the god of foam designs.

Your Corsair is 'a beaut' and I need to 'weather' mine up a bit, too.

Glad to hear from you, Craig.

Best, Steve

I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Works of art do not need the harsh treatment this has had.. from a very willing ex learner(now ok intermediate i think)..b safe steve.... spring is in your air as fall is in mine

Comment

• Elbee
                    Elbee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you my friend.

My baby (got me into rc) ready to hit the air again ,,, its been a bit,,.. she always asks about some excersize with a zero,, but i look blanckly,, fline wont do a zero,,,,, anyway replaced a retract all good.. thought it needed 2 but one.... changed one from a left to a right retract not hard,, only diff is the trunnion... so sunday my fly day,, up she goes..... will report,, Click image for larger version

Name:	1711094465512910513920685376263.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	241.6 KB
ID:	399354 Click image for larger version

Name:	17110945251021242243678751000736.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	254.6 KB
ID:	399355
                  Good luck on your next flight with that Corsair! I'm sure you'll tear up the sky with her this weekend!

Cheers

Davegee

Comment

My baby (got me into rc) ready to hit the air again ,,, its been a bit,,.. she always asks about some excersize with a zero,, but i look blanckly,, fline wont do a zero,,,,, anyway replaced a retract all good.. thought it needed 2 but one.... changed one from a left to a right retract not hard,, only diff is the trunnion... so sunday my fly day,, up she goes..... will report,, Click image for larger version  Name:	1711094465512910513920685376263.jpg Views:	55 Size:	241.6 KB ID:	399354 Click image for larger version  Name:	17110945251021242243678751000736.jpg Views:	44 Size:	254.6 KB ID:	399355
                    Sweet looking f4u!!! Got out recently with my 8S F4, F16, Euro and the 6S Mig and the Corsair, everything flying on the SMC HiV's. Been a while since I flew the Corsair, but each time out I'm always amazed at how well this particular model flies, especially on the SMC HiV 5900. 10 minutes of flight time!! (Spitfire gets 13 minutes on that pack). The winds were blowing 15, gusting to 20mph (don't ask me how much in kph ) at a 45 to sometimes direct crosswind but the Corsair couldn't give a where or how strong the winds were, handled it like nothing out of the ordinary. As did the Mig, although the F4/F16 and Euro were a rockin! Got to fly with a monster CARF folding wing Corsair with a Moki radial which was a blast. He took off just after me, and 8 minutes in asked if was running on empty. Told him not yet and he landed just before me! But then again I would give my left n...t to be able to afford and fly his Corsair, but the Freewing Corsair ain't no slouch either, especially for us peasants! Absolutely love flying it!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20240320_131142.jpg Views:	0 Size:	284.2 KB ID:	399669

You Can see the Big Corsair in the Background!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20240320_131124.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	294.7 KB
ID:	399670
                    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                    Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• The carfs are incredable.. i agree ,but aload of. To put in the air.... 12 miles is 20 kph value for the doller 1600 is awsome

Comment

• f4u ausie Hugh Wiedman , Absolutely the 'best bang for the buck' Corsair in the hobby, IMHO. Best, LB
                        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Working...
                        X