Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Wayne, come to Nefi, we'll get you caught up.
    I'm bringing my Super Bearcat. Replaced the running gear with a 1400mm Corsair prop and and 650 kv/85A ESC.
    Goes like stink!!
    Flap settings at 15 and 30 degrees are ideal.

Grossman56
    Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
      Hey Wayne, come to Nefi, we'll get you caught up.
      I'm bringing my Super Bearcat. Replaced the running gear with a 1400mm Corsair prop and and 650 kv/85A ESC.
      Goes like stink!!
      Flap settings at 15 and 30 degrees are ideal.

Grossman56
      I'd like to see it fly. How do you set the flaps to a certain degree setting? The only thing I can see doing is setting them to a certain percentage of travel in the Tx...

Comment

• Originally posted by gack View Post

I'd like to see it fly. How do you set the flaps to a certain degree setting? The only thing I can see doing is setting them to a certain percentage of travel in the Tx...
        Degree settings aren't on the Tx. It is done with a physical gauge/protractor device that measures deflection in degrees.
        Here's what I use:
        https://hobbyking.com/en_us/control-...row-gauge.html
        Warbird Charlie
        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• ESC over heat problems with Dynam Spitfire. Anyone else? Click image for larger version

Name:	1491676007105-1795853739.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	70775

Comment

• I cut open a chin scoop and vent holes on the bottom rear of the fuse and have had no more problems even on 4s.

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post

Degree settings aren't on the Tx. It is done with a physical guage/protractor device that measures deflection in degrees.
              Here's what I use:
              https://hobbyking.com/en_us/control-...row-gauge.html
              A definite must in your tool box

Grossman56
              Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post

A definite must in your tool box

Grossman56
                Not to be defiant, but couldn't a person do the same thing by setting the flap travel to a lower approximate setting, and then just play around with nearby settings until the desired amount is achieved?

Comment

• Originally posted by gack View Post

Not to be defiant, but couldn't a person do the same thing by setting the flap travel to a lower approximate setting, and then just play around with nearby settings until the desired amount is achieved?
                  Yes you can but that is not what you originally asked. That is why there are protractors, the human eye is not precise and you asked "How do you set the flaps to a certain degree setting".
                  The decisions is yours. ;)
                  Warbird Charlie
                  HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post

Yes you can but that is not what you originally asked. That is why there are protractors, the human eye is not precise and you asked "How do you set the flaps to a certain degree setting".
                    The decisions is yours. ;)
                    Sorry, I meant percentage as you'd see on the Tx...and how do you get 2 positions on the flaps? I'm pretty sure mine only has up or down...

Comment

• It would depend on your radio. My DX8 has a three way flap switch where my Dx6i only has a two position switch. The protractors are a great investment and probably one of the cheapest things you'll buy in this hobby!
                      I just adjust my flaps via the clevis to neutral and put the protractors on them, then I boost up the tail until the protractors read zero, then hit the first position and dial it on at 15 degrees then the second at 30. After Charlie put me on to this little gadget, I've redone all my birds, the exception being the slit flap birds like the P-40 and the Spitfire, where I dump full flaps down as far as I can get them. Works great for me.

Grossman56
                      Team Gross!

Comment

• in Abilene Tx now and the wind finally dyed down enough to fly some lol...the dark blue seems to blend into itself as it gets a few 100 feet away but alls good...

Comment

• a friend at the field has this f8f and he was amazed that mine balanced correctly with a 4s 4000 and his needed 4 oz and the 4s 4000 battery anyone figured why this is?

Comment

• Are they the exact same brand battery and C rating? If not, this may be the reason as different batteries have different weights.
                            Pat

Comment

• A 10c difference can cause that easily

Comment

• Interesting, I just put my 4000's all the way forward and flew, it was fine. The CG as Ryan show it, is slightly different.
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	image_5537.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	72827

Grossman56
                                Team Gross!

Comment

• Maiden report. Finally, yesterday maidened my Bearcat. 4 successful flights on 4S 5000mah. I had her ready last November but had to wait for good weather. I'm getting easily 10 minutes on this pack and probably could get more. First flight, wow was she pitch sensitive. I usually don't use expo but found out quickly elevator on expo is a must! Flights 2-4 I was able to get this dialed at about 30%. I got very comfortable with the flying tendencies. She can be slowed way down with no stalling issues. Flies very well with flaps down also. The one problem I couldn't seem to solve is nosing over on taxiing. The 5000 is about a quarter inch back from fire wall for 85mm CG so I don't think its too nose heavy. High rate on elevator helps a little but any small imperfection in the runway would cause it to nose over. I have some 3600 packs that I will experiment with and see if this helps. I also need to go back through this thread and read if any of you guys have had this issue and how you resolved it. Other than that the bird is a very fun plane to fly.

Comment

• Update. I shimmed the retracts with two washers under the rear of the retract. This has solved the nosing over issues for me. The gear still retracts fine into the wheel well with no issues. Just a little bit of added rake makes her taxi fine now. I got a couple of flights with the 3600 packs and I'm getting 8 minutes on those with better performance than the 5000 pack due to the weight savings...CG was no issue as I put the 3600 all the way forward...trim was exactly the same as the 5000 pack about 1/4 inch from front. This plane is no speed demon but so what. I love the slow flying characteristics and how scale like it looks at 3/4 throttle. She'll get up and go at full throttle and seems to have unlimited vertical on the 3600 packs. Lots of fun!

Comment

• Excellent!

Comment

• Hey Tsmith, that sound like an interesting mod. I don't have that problem myself, but since I've modified mine with a 650 kv and the 1400 mm Corsair prop, that might be something to think about.
                                        Before the mods, I ran my 4000s in her, all the way forward and it was great, now with the mod, I have to move it back to the foam cross member in the fuse, still an amazing plane, with this power system it goes like a rocket!!

Grossman56
                                        Team Gross!

Comment

• Its been a while since I have been here on the Squawk and I was wondering if anyone has done a suspension mod on the Bearcat by installing shock absorbing gear on this bird?

Comment

Working...
                                          X