X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mad Baron View Post
    I am needing some help. I took my B-26 flying today (light breeze and sunny skys) I put one flight on it and it flew great let it sit for about 30 minutes and flew it again about 3 minutes into the flight it was in a left turn and I heard a pitch change in the motors because it banked real hard I was able to recover it I thought that I overcorrected the turn. About anther minute into the flight the motors seemed to be cutting out I immediately set it up for landing and as I was ready to touch down one of the motors dropped rpm which made for semi controlled landing that bent the crap out of the nose gear. I replaced the broken prop and ran up the motors for bout 1-2 minutes and they seem to run fine but after shutting down the motors the prop nuts were really hot as well as the battery lead in the plane was warmer than it should be. I have cooling holes cut out in the cowl. Any thoughts? Any help would be appreciated!
    Check your ESC to motor leads, mine had one lead that was only held on to the bullet connector by one little strand of solder.
    TiredIron Aviation
    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• sounds like you have a motor that might be bad and drawing a lot more amps than it should, can you turn it by hand freely,have you checked it with a watt/amp meter?
      Just let me fly so I may be free

Comment

• Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post

Check your ESC to motor leads, mine had one lead that was only held on to the bullet connector by one little strand of solder.
        I was thinking that might be a problem with my plane is it difficult to access the esc?

Bearcat
        I am not sure how to check it with watt/amp meter. Both motors turn freely but they sound different when they are spun by hand.

Comment

• Just guessing, but it does sound like a motor failure. Could be the ESC like TI stated, but go motor first and work your way back. Glad it got down in one piece. More or less!!! :Cool:

Comment

• Yeah I was really worried when it was acting up in flight I had visions of a busted up plane I was very glad that it landed with minimal damage.:Whew: I am going to look at these motors it just seems odd that both motors got real hot.

Comment

I was thinking that might be a problem with my plane is it difficult to access the esc?

Bearcat
              I am not sure how to check it with watt/amp meter. Both motors turn freely but they sound different when they are spun by hand.
              Pull the cowls and cut a hole on the bottom of the nacele and you'll see the ESC.
              TiredIron Aviation
              Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Thanks TI. I put an amp meter on the input lead from the battery and it was pulling 7 amps at half throttle seems a little high to me.

Comment

• Well I got to the motor wires and they had corrosion on the bullet connectors I am going to get some new connectors and see if that will help. I had to replace the front retract so I pulled out and found these nuts glued to the retract..... UNBELIEVABLE!!!:Thinking:

Comment

• What are they for? Spacers? wow......

Comment

• Yeah mine had them as well

Comment

• Top notch quality! Spared no expense!!!

Comment

• They all have those nuts. Cheaper to add nuts than to re-engineer the mounting bracket. :Silly:

Comment

• Well I am going to cut out a spacer out of aluminum plate instead of these nuts.

Comment

Well I am going to cut out a spacer out of aluminum plate instead of these nuts.
                              If you're going to replace the stock retracts (highly recommended if you plan to fly in cool temps), you might want to dry fit the new ones before making the plate. They may fit differently and your plate may not be the same as what is needed for the stock retracts.

Comment

• I haven't planned on replacing the retracts for different ones I would have to find out what brand would work and depending on the price would determine weather or not to get them.

Comment

• Maidened mine today with a full bomb load, but got a little distracted with the nose wheel not going up. What a great plane. This thing is going to be getting a lot of flight time now. Flew 7.17 minutes Dirty and Heavy on a Glacier 3300 4s battery. Definitely needs more run way then my B-17 without an flaps on take off and the runouts on landing are pretty long,but she is well behaved for the most part. I did almost blow the first landing by pulling the elevator too hard. She looked like she wanted to start a tip stall so I pushed the nose down to a one strut at a time landing. Second landing was a greaser.
                                  Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

• Congratulations, Adam. I will be building my second B-26 tomorrow. I have new motors and new retracts planned. Did you drop any bombs?

Comment

• Congrats, Adam! You'll need to bring a larger foam village to Apollo now.
                                      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Sounds like a good maiden flight. AND with a bomb load :Cool:

How many bombs on board? And if you dropped, did it affect the CG?
                                        I just cut my bomb bay open and am working on the details.

Comment

• No I didn't release the 4 bombs on both flights using one battery. The nose wheel got hung on the plastic cover and I kind of got distracted looking at the plane as it flew around to see if the retract was indeed back in the down position or did I burn the motor on it. If flew around with the gear hung for a few circuits before I noticed it wasn't up. 7 minutes felt like nothing. I was playing with the flaps a bunch too. I don't think the bombs effect CG as they are basically on CG and as long as the plane is slightly nose heavy like mine was to begin with it should be fine. I used 60mm as my CG. @NoDirt. without making custom fiberglass doors there is no hope of fitting 4 bombs inside using the stock foam as doors. The most that would fit using the foam would be 2, but it would be easier to make. I highly recommend that everyone move their servos back one bay as I did. Access is super easy and it just makes sense for CG purposes. It was also really easy.

@ Alpha The foam village usually is good for no wind, but you didn't get to see the Hokaze Destroyer.
                                          Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

Working...
                                          X