X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by terrygrau View Post
    CG'ed and maidened yesterday at 70mm. It reguired significant weight in nose to balance with a large 4500 mah 4s.
    Should have sensed something wrong but was pushing to fly in event this weekend. Result tip stall, crash and new fuselage required.

Somebody needs to figure out these 2 large tail weights and why they are there.
    I could not find them during assembly so had to add about the same amount to the nose to balance. Now I have a high wing loading and a high polar moment of inertia and she turned into the original "baltimore *****". Basiclly unflyable even with a gyro.

Next flight will be without any weights and a smaller battery and possibly some up trim.

I am beginning to think this is a good looking twin "without any visable means of support"
    Welcome to Hobby Squawk Terry!

Mine didn't have any weights in it and my CG is at 65mm with an Admiral 4S 4000mAh at the very front edge of where the battery "ramp" is.
    TiredIron Aviation
    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• My new parts should be in today. I'm going to build this one very methodically, since I bought all the spare wing parts, cowls, necells, and fuselage. I really want to make sure it's perfect ground up. Here's to success on v2.0

Comment

• Originally posted by Mad Baron View Post
        Has anyone changed out the red and green LED in the wing? I would like to install white LEDs for landing lights I am going to figure out a way to have them come on when the gear is lowered.
        The constant "on" of the landing lights I have remedied very easily and inexpensively(less than $5) on other birds like the FMS 1400 Corsair and T-28.
        To get the lights to being on when gear is down and off when gear is up is done with one reversing circuit and one Y cable.
        The reversing circuit ........... https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...rser-long.html

Plug the Y lead male end in the gear channel of the receiver.
        Plug the lead of the retracts into one of the female connectors of the Y lead.
        Plug the reverser(input) into the other female connector of the Y lead.
        Plug the gear lights into the reverser female(output) connector. [ ensure polarity is correct ie , red + positive and black/brown - negative.................the signal white/yellow wire on reverser is of no consequence ;)]
        Warbird Charlie
        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
          That's odd. I'm using the mid-way point (70-75mm) and 4000mah, 4s battery - it's still nose heavy. I'm guessing mine actually balanced at around 65mm, so I put back that one weight I took out that was loose. For you to use an even bigger battery and still need more weight up front is weird.
          I'm about to maiden mine in an hour or so. Will report back later today, maybe with video.

My intro shows where I cg for maiden. Also lower the throw on elevator and make sure the deflection is even. I think low throw on elevator helps keep a friendly aoa thus making a gentler handler and more of a Baltimore respectable lady rather than the other.

Comment

• What do y'all think of the viability of a vector unit installation?

Comment

• Originally posted by terrygrau View Post
              CG'ed and maidened yesterday at 70mm. It reguired significant weight in nose to balance with a large 4500 mah 4s.
              Should have sensed something wrong but was pushing to fly in event this weekend. Result tip stall, crash and new fuselage required.

Somebody needs to figure out these 2 large tail weights and why they are there.
              I could not find them during assembly so had to add about the same amount to the nose to balance. Now I have a high wing loading and a high polar moment of inertia and she turned into the original "baltimore *****". Basiclly unflyable even with a gyro.

Next flight will be without any weights and a smaller battery and possibly some up trim.

I am beginning to think this is a good looking twin "without any visable means of support"
              Did it look like this?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ryan@Motion/ryramZ View Post

My intro shows where I cg for maiden. Also lower the throw on elevator and make sure the deflection is even. I think low throw on elevator helps keep a friendly aoa thus making a gentler handler and more of a Baltimore respectable lady rather than the other.
                Exactly - this backs up what I suggested earlier in the thread - keep the elevator throw to a minimum. Too much elevator - and "bam" instant aerobatics. So... agreed!
                I like the way mine flies, it does very well as long as you don't pull back too much on the stick. When it slows down, I use the flaps and tip stalling is not an issue. At least, it hasn't been an issue yet. Four nice takeoffs (with flaps partially down) and four nice landings (with full flaps) so far.

Terrygrau - I'm very sorry to hear that your plane went in.

I'm looking forward to Xviper's flight report...!
                Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
                  What do y'all think of the viability of a vector unit installation?
                  Pardon my ignorance .......................... what's a "vector unit"?

Comment

• Originally posted by themudduck View Post
                    I'm looking forward to Xviper's flight report...!
                    I was so hoping to give my report. Went to the field and flew everything I had except the B-26. There was a lot of construction work going on all around the perimeter of the field. The B-26 is too big and I didn't want to risk a bad maiden. The law says we're not supposed to fly near or over people/equipment. My other planes were very small and easily maneuverable (eg, UMX Radian). Hoping to go to another field tomorrow and get it done.

Comment

• Viper, here's the vector https://www.readymaderc.com/store/in...oducts_id=2307

Comment

So yeah I'm thinking of making an fpv system out of the old canopy hatch, just because I do love fpv so much

Comment

• Thanks. I haven't done FPV for some time now, so I'm somewhat out of date with the latest stuff. I had a very simple OSD and even with that, I found it was too much information to keep track of. That Vector unit seems to push out way more information than I could handle. The way I see it, installing it shouldn't be a problem. There's plenty of room up there for it. What I can see as potential problems are multi-fold. It would seem that this plane is already a bit nose heavy (hence the decision to put those weights in the tail), so adding the FPV gear may add to the balancing issue. From what we've heard, this plane has a tendency to stall and drop a wing. Such a plane may not be the best choice for FPV. FPV planes are usually "floaty" planes that can fly on minimal power and can stay aloft for longer periods of time, since it's easy to get "way out there" and the need to have the ability to get back. This B-26 doesn't appear to float well and it needs good airspeed to stay away from it's stall speed. Flying it via goggles or even a big view screen may be hard to judge it's airspeed. All this may conspire to make for a bad outcome. But that's just my own paranoia talking.

Comment

• Indeed it does excellent in the FL P38, as matter of fact I've only flown that plane once los. Only planes I haven't flown fpv are the hellcat, Corsair, and P39. The rest that I own it's goggles on. Here's a video of the P38.

Comment

Indeed it does excellent in the FL P38, as matter of fact I've only flown that plane once los. Only planes I haven't flown fpv are the hellcat, Corsair, and P39. The rest that I own it's goggles on. Here's a video of the P38.
                              https://youtu.be/CvCqeJ7DXVg
                              That was in one simple word............amazing.
                              How the hell do ya keep from getting directional disorientation cause your lateral views are quite limited.?
                              Warbird Charlie
                              HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• By the way everyone. I have two weights in the tail of mine as well. Flies great. I like forward cg and have a little up trim. I'm going to slowly move my battery back and see what I think.

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post

That was in one simple word............amazing.
                                  How the hell do ya keep from getting directional disorientation cause your lateral views are quite limited.?
                                  Mostly for me it's just knowing the area, and watching the distance and compass. Also the tick mark pointing from center tells me if I'm headed towards me or away. If I can honestly say my favorite part of it all is the take off and landing. I also fly an fpv Catalina off my pond as well as an fpv Seawind off the same pond as well as out at that field. The Catalina is probably the most relaxing to me. I was hoping this being a bomber it would be as relaxing, boy was I in for a surprise..
                                  heres the pby https://youtu.be/xPo3y5CLJlw

Comment

• Got the graphics in today from Callie.... All are installed with a modified paint scheme for Hamilton's Hey Maker II... Starting to finish the wiring on the CC BEC and then install a platform for the gyro and the receiver. Reworked the wiring in the wing. Put one long extension on each aileron and used heat shrink on all the connectors and used new Y and 3 way harnesses...
                                    And of course, new wheels!! Also painted the cockpit interior green. May do the wheel wells too....

Comment

• Finally got the camera to download! Callie had these to me in two days!!! Thank you! :-)

Comment

• Alright now I'm beyond pissed to no end someone's gonna bleed for this ****! Why in the name of all things holy would the gun kit not supply the nose gun, and the plastics kit not include the plastic canopy or nose glass! I'm actually feeling sick I'm so mad. I wanted to fly this plane this weekend. NOPE! half the parts I expected to be in these parts kits aren't there! I'm probably going to be dead over this. I've never been so pissed in my life. Uuuuughhhhh!

Comment

• Take a breath, say a prayer, and have a cold beer.... I agree that sucks. The nose gun is the same as all of them, just been snipped off, so that is doable from your other stuff. As far as the canopy and nose, that is an issue.... Sorry Bro!!! Wish I could help more.... :(

Comment

Working...
                                          X