X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
    Got the F-16 Wisconsin version out again today along with the SU-30 and a few others. Beautiful day, which must be why about 20 members showed up as well (what doesn't anybody work any more). Probably because every Friday a few of us do a BBQ as well. Today was Kielbasa, Italian sausage cooked with onions, peppers and tomatoes and some burgers. Now that's what I'm talking about, RC flying and eatin good in the neighborhood, what virus! And if anyone says there was alcohol there, DO NOT believe them!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200807_125326.jpg
Views:	723
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	267250

As I've mentioned before, we have about 400 members and I think there are only about 5 of us that fly electric, everyone else large gas or way to costly turbines (where do these guys get all this money, every time they come out their trailer has a new $15,000 jet in it-I doubt I could even afford the trailer, and some have A/C in their trailers). So this is the kind of I have to put up with. I feel like Trump at a Freedom rally in Beijing! I get a lot of good natured ribbing about my foamy electrics, especially all my prop warbirds with a sound system in them and all my EDF's with afterburners, but it seems everyone in this hobby is just a really great person. Too bad we can't say that about our politicians! I'd love to have something like the ones below, but then I'd have to sell my truck to get one and couldn't even get to the field, although some of these fly like I could just jump on the top of it and fly me and the jet to the field (now there's a thought). And the guy who flies the big SU-30 with thrust vectors does 3D maneuvers with it, "C'mon Man"! I bet you can't guess which bird is mine in these photos!

Name:	20200807_095521.jpg
Views:	693
Size:	235.0 KB
ID:	267251Click image for larger version

Name:	20200807_100440.jpg
Views:	687
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	267252

Name:	20200807_120925.jpg
Views:	708
Size:	263.8 KB
ID:	267253Click image for larger version

Name:	20200807_121034.jpg
Views:	690
Size:	278.2 KB
ID:	267254

if ya cant own em,, wow u get to c some niiiicccee planes fly hugh

Comment

• Well Hugh Wiedman the way I look at it is that there are "Big Boy Toys" and "Bigger Boy Toys".

Either we are all in the wrong line of business or they are all spending their kid's college funds. I prefer to think of the latter as it makes me feel better. ​​​​​​​
      My YouTube RC videos:
      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
        Well Hugh Wiedman the way I look at it is that there are "Big Boy Toys" and "Bigger Boy Toys".

Either we are all in the wrong line of business or they are all spending their kid's college funds. I prefer to think of the latter as it makes me feel better.
        I think it's both, and maybe a few others I can't think of. The amazing thing is that in the last 3 weeks, I've seen 4 different guys lose one of these big boys, not all from pilot error (OK, a couple) , but also from mechanical failures, ranging from stuck thrust vectoring to losing signals (even though they all use THE most expensive TX and RX out there). They seem to take it like "no big deal", rebuild it, replace it, but in the meantime pull one of about 10 others out and keep on flying. It seems they hardly bring the same one out they have so many. I have a "breakdown" just thinking of losing one of mine and on the couple I did, I almost had a heart attack! Losing one of these for me would be like having my house blown away in a hurricane and forgetting to renew my insurance before it!
        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
        Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Whenever my wife and I look at a million+ dollar mansion she says "Think of the property taxes on that." And I say "If they can afford that mansion they can afford the property taxes."

That's how I feel about these guys with their 25K+ giant scale turbines. If they can afford them in the first place chances are they can afford to crash them too.

So THAT'S how the other half lives.

Meanwhile I would lose my s*** if I lost my $1,000 EPO foamie or $3,000 giant scale Corsair.
          My YouTube RC videos:
          https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• I figure, fly what you got, and have fun doing it. Honestly, I've had a LOT of fun flying the foamboard planes from Flite Test, and part of that is, I know that "replacement parts" are as cheap as a sheet of foamboard from the dollar store. I don't stress over the thought that I've got thousands of dollars riding on whether everything goes okay on this flight.

I've had great fun with my 3S 64mm Stinger, and I expect to have some fun with the new 70mm Rebel that arrived this week. Both of those are fairly inexpensive planes, too.

And, I don't need to buy a special trailer to haul them, either.

Comment

• The Flite Test birds are great runabouts! I especially like the Sea Duck, ever since flying with Josh and the gang after hours at Oshkosh 2016.
              Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• I don't fly the big turbine high dollar jets but I do fly the big scale electric helis, still cheaper than those big turbine jets but the nervousness might be about the same, I think I would rather fly the jet myself, I enjoyed my EDF jets when I had a runway in front of my house, lost my runway so now I'm flying these scale helis close by, don't need a runway but you need airspace, these things can be scaaarrry when they pass by a little to close, but those $15,000+ jets, no way, I flew with a guy up in Sacramento Ca. and he was flying a very large $20,000 turbine heli, no way am I spending that kind of money on any of that turbine stuff, because I don't have it to spend, well I was thinking about trying a HSD Turbine T-33, about the same money as for one of these 800 size helis RTF........
                Attached Files

Comment

• No flying for a while, but finally moved out of my apartment and into a house. Gave me a chance to re-organize the airplane racks. Pretty happy with how things turned out!

Comment

• Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post
                    No flying for a while, but finally moved out of my apartment and into a house. Gave me a chance to re-organize the airplane racks. Pretty happy with how things turned out!
                    Jesus how do you decide what to fly?? lol...great collection.

I for one flew for the first time in 10 YEARS today, maiden with my Freewing 80mm A-10. Flew like a dream.

Name:	Maiden1.jpg
Views:	537
Size:	351.0 KB
ID:	268808

Comment

• Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post
                      No flying for a while, but finally moved out of my apartment and into a house. Gave me a chance to re-organize the airplane racks. Pretty happy with how things turned out!
                      First off, you can't be married??? second thing, you have a nice place and shelves and a nice selection of toys.

Comment

• Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post

First off, you can't be married
                        That's not true Click image for larger version

Name:	SNDQ0861.JPG
Views:	529
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	268859Click image for larger version

Name:	LVJS6849.JPG
Views:	524
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	268860
                        AMA 424553

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	NCFF6301.JPG
Views:	691
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	268864Click image for larger version

Name:	PQVM8364.JPG
Views:	705
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	268865 Just have to have an understanding Wife. Click image for larger version

Name:	EWWR4782.JPG
Views:	712
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	268863
                          AMA 424553

Comment

• Originally posted by RRHandy View Post

Name:	NCFF6301.JPG
Views:	691
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	268864Click image for larger version

Name:	PQVM8364.JPG
Views:	705
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	268865 Just have to have an understanding Wife. Click image for larger version

Name:	EWWR4782.JPG
Views:	712
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	268863
                            It also helps tremendously, if we're just as understanding of her hobbies and interests.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hoomi View Post

It also helps tremendously, if we're just as understanding of her hobbies and interests.
                              Correct. The planes in the dining room are in the trailer most of the time I needed it to go to Perry this year.
                              AMA 424553

Comment

• F106DeltaDart Nice Typhoon, I missed it last month! Hawker types have such presence.

RRHandy All I see is the domain of a master negotiator! Well done in convincing the wife.
                                Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• RRHandy ............................................. You win!

Comment

• Flew the FW 80mm A-10, Bird of Time and this ............................

Comment

• Went up to the Gunnison (Utah) R/C FLight Park this morning (The "Sanpete Aero Squadron"). Half a dozen guys showed up. A good time was had by all and all craft ended up coming home in one piece!

I'm still liking the Pandora!

Pandora over Gunnison R/C Flight Park

Comment

• Originally posted by ridgerunner View Post
                                        Went up to the Gunnison (Utah) R/C FLight Park this morning (The "Sanpete Aero Squadron"). Half a dozen guys showed up. A good time was had by all and all craft ended up coming home in one piece!

I've still liking the Pandora!

Pandora over Gunnison R/C Flight Park
                                        One of the times we get up to visit family in Manti, I'm going to have to visit that park.

Comment

• Originally posted by Splat View Post

Jesus how do you decide what to fly?? lol...great collection.

I for one flew for the first time in 10 YEARS today, maiden with my Freewing 80mm A-10. Flew like a dream.
                                          Thanks Splat! Definitely gives some options for the field rotation. Enough of them are still in the "project" phase selection is pretty easy. Nice choice on the A-10 and congratulations!

Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post
                                          First off, you can't be married??? second thing, you have a nice place and shelves and a nice selection of toys.
                                          Nope, happily single for the moment. Its nice to have some space to display them in an organized manner as opposed to being stuffed in the apartment.

RRHandy, wow! That is an awesome fleet there!

Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                                          F106DeltaDart Nice Typhoon, I missed it last month! Hawker types have such presence.
                                          Thanks Alpha, that little Typhoon is a sweet flyer. Definitely love the unique look of those machines.

Comment

Working...
                                          X