X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bobaroo View Post
    Used a Click image for larger version  Name:	66-7709.jpg Views:	661 Size:	44.6 KB ID:	182117 FreeWing attachment to the Rail !! As Good a place as any, considering the Pylons are Multi-Use anyway !!
    Here are a couple of more pictures of "709" in the air when it was assigned to the 13th TFS (circa 1969-1970). That's my Dad in the back seat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	F-4D Aug 27 1970 Over North Viet Nam.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	362692Click image for larger version

Name:	F-4D Over Viet Nam (August 1970).jpg
Views:	523
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	362693

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobaroo View Post

Yes,... I put a Drop on the No.1 F-4D Nozzles and used a Plastic Drinking Cup for the Nozzles. Extended them to the Later E-Model Length.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20190424_141432.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.7 KB ID:	191598

No.2 F-4E (Early) has the FW 3DP Nozzles shown here before the Drop and Chop !!! This Extraordinarily Wide Exit Lip was unacceptable to me. This is what you get when you just stick them onto the Foam after removing the stock plastic cones. Most guys just leave it like this.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20190424_141433.jpg Views:	0 Size:	84.1 KB ID:	191599

The No.3 F-4F will be getting the RCGeek LongNose F-4E/F 3DP Nozzles. They are 'Longer' and have a very nice Exit Lip on them and are already at a nice Thickness. No need for Chopping back the Foam as they are already extended past the Inner Nozzle Boundary. Depending on which Aircraft you are modeling, there is a nice set of Nozzles to be added for someone who desires a more realistic F-4C/D/E/F look on their Foamie !! Cheers

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20190424_141548.jpg Views:	0 Size:	73.4 KB ID:	191600

Click image for larger version Name:	-8 vs -10 Annotated Pictures.jpg Views:	1 Size:	135.7 KB ID:	191601
      This is some great work. I really like the "dash 10" nozzles. Of the research I have done and the pictures I have from my Dad's planes - those seem to be the right ones. Love the attention to detail. Awesome stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by jthenry8 View Post

This is some great work. I really like the "dash 10" nozzles. Of the research I have done and the pictures I have from my Dad's planes - those seem to be the right ones. Love the attention to detail. Awesome stuff.
        I think I am going to correct myself. It looks like the "turkey feathers" nozzle may be the right one for a 1968 produced F-4D. The definitive picture I have is of F-4D 68-709 on a low power setting and you can clearly see the collar. I mistook the constricted nozzle to be more representative of the "dash 10." Looks like upon closer inspection that the nozzle has a collar. Would love some feedback on this one.

Name:	image.png
Views:	509
Size:	290.1 KB
ID:	362724

Comment

• Originally posted by EA-6B Geek View Post
          :)Waiting for the fog to burn off this morning, got a few photos of the Phantom out on the runway. Can't say enough about how sweet flying this airplane is.

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1250
Size:	336.4 KB
ID:	192732Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1217
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	192731
          Holy Crud, Batman! What great pictures. The sky is perfectly matched to the paint scheme!

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
            Hey Y'all, She's on her own feet for the first time. Some soft weathering on the upper fuselage, light touch up, airbrushing the tailhook, and a matte finish coat yet to do. Ordinance is a work in progress. :Whew:Best, LB

Name:	IMG_0163.JPG
Views:	2267
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	192907Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0164.JPG
Views:	2001
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	192908Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0178.JPG
Views:	2049
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	192909Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0186.JPG
Views:	2073
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	192910Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0168.JPG
Views:	1990
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	192911Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0180.JPG
Views:	2090
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	192912Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0181.JPG
Views:	2024
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	192913Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0183.JPG
Views:	1996
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	192914
            Love the intake ramps and the pilot figures. in the first picture it seems like he is looking directly at ground crew directing him to the catapult. I commented previously on the nozzles. Great work. Looks like you did some work on the chin air intakes. Would like to hear some details about if you made the parts or if they are available somewhere else. Overall, exceptional craftmanship.

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post

The G nose (Wild Weasel) is different than the E nose. I only know of two sources for the E nose and that is Tom Mansel and Chris Wolfe. Chris's is more scale. The small door on mine was hinged with a standard Dubro hinge.

I want to build a G variant, but the "E" nose variant looks a little bit off - too thick? Has anyone else noticed this? Is it because the base of the nose from the kit to round and a difficult transition? Thoughts? Please don't think this is a criticism of the work of those who developed the E nose - it is not. Those who developed that mod are amazing craftsman. Just trying to understand the build and the dimensions affecting the nose adaptation. Humbly submitted.

Comment

Would like to hear some details about if you made the parts...
                JT, I thank you for the kind words. The parts you mentioned are 3D printed mods of my design. Mostly, I took the OEM piece parameters and changed the profiles. The VIRs need to look sharp and thinned in my opinion, that was a given, the A/C intakes should look cleaner, and so on.

The pilots are JHH 1/12th scale from "The RC Geek" as are the "B" Nozzles (I did not have my printer when I bought all the parts for this build). The Cockpit is the Freewing version offered by Motion RC. It is a resin 3D print and fits perfectly.

I built the "B" variant the best I could without changing any fuselage profiles and you wrote about doing an "E" or "G". The fuselage is wide on this model, though I have seen others in this thread that have squared the cockpit section to better represent the "E". I do not know if there are other 3D printable designs for modding the Freewing "D" to an "E" or "G".

This was an early project in design for me, but all the parts turned out quite good, I think. Each design change I made was a compromise to the OEM and I did not want to stray to far from what is a very detailed and flyable model.

If you have a 3D printer or access to one, I can send G-codes of those parts. I would need to know the printer manufacturer, filament, and nozzle size you are using. The parts print nicely.

Best, LB

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0002 PS 1 Cropped Blow Up Contrast.jpg Views:	2 Size:	137.8 KB ID:	362747
                Click image for larger version  Name:	..and kill MIGs.jpg Views:	2 Size:	113.9 KB ID:	362748
                I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Radar-Guy View Post
                  Yep, crewed by JHH pilots. Visors covered with Future floor finish....

Click image for larger version Name:	A62CD2B4-584F-4210-A160-7F8DF2034D15.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	85.4 KB ID:	235164
                  Did you raise the WSO up towards the canopy? I have always thought they looked like there were sitting really low in the cockpit. From this angle it looks just about right.

Comment

• Originally posted by vduniec View Post

Ready for inspection! Here's the final product. Weapons, "E" nose, cockpit, pilots, TIESO and centerline tank are 3D printed. Only one flight on it so far. It has survived the maiden but was pretty nose heavy and I bounced the landing shearing the nose gear pin. Already repaired and ready for the next sortie.

Name:	IMG-3375.jpg
Views:	1134
Size:	237.9 KB
ID:	252899Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-3377.jpg
Views:	1136
Size:	311.9 KB
ID:	252900

Name:	IMG-3378.jpg
Views:	1189
Size:	295.3 KB
ID:	252898
                    Absolutely fantastic. My Dad was the Ops Officer and later the squadron commander of the 3rd TFS at Clark. Your Rhino looks great.

Comment

• Originally posted by heisteff View Post
                      hi just wanted to show some pics of my rhino. maiden still to come
                      Looks absolutely fantastic. Is that the RC Geek "E" conversion kit?

Comment

Absolutely fantastic. My Dad was the Ops Officer and later the squadron commander of the 3rd TFS at Clark. Your Rhino looks great.
                        Also, did you create the Standard ARM and AN/ALQ-184 pod? I am trying to pull together everything I would need to build a "G" variant, and these pieces would really help.

Comment

Did you raise the WSO up towards the canopy? I have always thought they looked like there were sitting really low in the cockpit. From this angle it looks just about right.
                          Yes, I did. These are JHH pilot busts raised with some balsa. The GIB deserves his view of the outside world.

Regarding the printed ‚long nose‘ conversions. After some trials and looking at ‚good‘ drawings‘, I decided to make another design starting right in front of the wind screen including the different air scoops.

Name:	909B2A28-3C8D-4B30-8C2B-BFE37F9D5AA1.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	363224

Name:	1ECD62CC-1A74-4607-91A2-CE224005EF4D.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	363225

Name:	825B9813-60C0-469F-99C7-72FA1EDC5670.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	363226

Name:	67DBEB30-C786-4A4B-8C76-77D5DFDC4B48.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	363227

Comment

I want to build a G variant ...
                            Also, make sure to add the outer wing slats then!

Name:	120F7D71-74B0-4740-9AB7-44BEADA9AD58.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	363215Click image for larger version

Name:	EAF2E73D-6E6C-4229-9FE3-DFF46EF7C1F3.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	363216Click image for larger version

Name:	FEFE4ADC-1154-48D6-AA45-67C088160F8F.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	363217

Comment

• Radar-Guy That's just beautiful work, Sir. Outstanding. Best, LB
                              I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                              ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Looks absolutely fantastic. Is that the RC Geek "E" conversion kit?
                                hi, no it´s the F-nose posted on thingivers

Comment

• Originally posted by Radar-Guy View Post

Yes, I did. These are JHH pilot busts raised with some balsa. The GIB deserves his view of the outside world.

Regarding the printed ‚long nose‘ conversions. After some trials and looking at ‚good‘ drawings‘, I decided to make another design starting right in front of the wind screen including the different air scoops.

Name:	909B2A28-3C8D-4B30-8C2B-BFE37F9D5AA1.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	363224

Name:	1ECD62CC-1A74-4607-91A2-CE224005EF4D.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	363225

Name:	825B9813-60C0-469F-99C7-72FA1EDC5670.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	363226

Name:	67DBEB30-C786-4A4B-8C76-77D5DFDC4B48.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	363227

Awesome job! Is this nose printed or hand made with wood or foam?

Comment

• Originally posted by spook View Post
                                    Awesome job! Is this nose printed or hand made with wood or foam?
                                    Thanks! The entire nose section is printed (ASA filament) and reinforced with carbon tow.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4233.jpg Views:	0 Size:	96.2 KB ID:	363300

Comment

I want to build a G variant, but the "E" nose variant looks a little bit off - too thick? Has anyone else noticed this? Is it because the base of the nose from the kit to round and a difficult transition? Thoughts? Please don't think this is a criticism of the work of those who developed the E nose - it is not. Those who developed that mod are amazing craftsman. Just trying to understand the build and the dimensions affecting the nose adaptation. Humbly submitted.
                                      I obtained the 3D files from Thingiverse. I printed out both the "E" and "F" versions. The "E" didn't look right to me so I went with the "F" version. Dirty_Dee is a great 3D designer and had the "G" version up on Cults3D.com a while ago but I don't see it there anymore. Maybe you can reach out to him to inquire about the "G."

Comment

• Those look great! Have you flown it yet? How did you address ensuring that they're at the same angle to each other? I was nervous I wouldn't be able to do a good job on that so I kept mine a "Hard-wing" version. Technically inaccurate but the plane is at least still in one piece.
                                        Thanks.

Originally posted by Radar-Guy View Post

Also, make sure to add the outer wing slats then!

Name:	120F7D71-74B0-4740-9AB7-44BEADA9AD58.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	363215Click image for larger version

Name:	EAF2E73D-6E6C-4229-9FE3-DFF46EF7C1F3.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	363216Click image for larger version

Name:	FEFE4ADC-1154-48D6-AA45-67C088160F8F.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	363217

Comment

Also, did you create the Standard ARM and AN/ALQ-184 pod? I am trying to pull together everything I would need to build a "G" variant, and these pieces would really help.
                                          Here's the link for the Standard missile:

This is a 1/11.5 scale AGM-78 Standard ARM missile. It I scaled for the Freewing F-4 Phantom. I downloaded a two piece version and a four piece version. Both will assemble into the same missile. The four piece version can be printed with only a 150mm height printer. The longest piece of the two piece missile is 260mm tall. When I test printed the four piece missile with one piece at a time it took 12:19 minutes to print. There is a slot for using the Freewing F-16 male weapons attachment hardware. The final painted missile ended up weighing 99 grams.

I added the ALQ-119(slightly different from the ALQ-184):

1/10th scale ECM Pod specifically made for the Freewing A-10 Thunderbolt II. Body has a slot to fit attachment hardware: https://www.motionrc.com/products/freewing-f-16c-90mm-weapons-attachment-hardware. There is a variant of the bodies "w support" which help prevent wobble of the parts during printing. They are fairly tall and skinny so the nozzle may cause the parts to wiggle as it lays down the upper layers.

I don't recall if I had to resize it for the F-4.

There is an ALQ-184 on Cults3D, but it's 1/72 scale and I don't know how well it will scale up so much to the fit the FW F-4.

Comment

Working...
                                          X