X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
    Side by side won't work on the tray in either width or weight (1500g for the two batteries and a parallel connector).

If you do remove the interconnection board (not a blue box) and stuff one of the batteries up there it may be possible. He really should just get the correct batteries.
    Yeh that is true, but worst case scenario (for now) I can at least use the 4500's on their own - not a million miles away from the recommend 5000...and it'll be light at should get off pretty quick. Even if the flight times are short.

Comment

• All true Ben. I have to say that 5000 would be too small too and require me to start setting up after a 2 min flight...

Comment

• I've never flown mine with less than a 6000.

Comment

• Originally posted by BenAtkinsonUK View Post
          Hey guys - I'm looking at the 6S as I already have an avanti and fly that off grass (which it does superbly). This looks the next most capable grass flyer (as well as the F22/A10 but they don't interest me as much). I'm hoping the zippy 4500Mah 40C packs that work very well in the avanti will work with the 6S version well enough? I would go 8S but by the time I've bought 2S batteries and the extra 8s plane cost - its over budget really.
          Phantom has a great suggestion, hook them up in parallel. I also have an Avanti and 2 F-4's and fly off of grass. You'll have no problem getting it off with mid flaps. But I definitely suggest that you do not fly the F-4 on a single 4000 mah 6S. 90 seconds to 2 minutes will drive you crazy, barely enough time to get it trimmed. I fly both the Avanti and the F-4 on a Roaring Top 6250 35C battery. On the Avanti, I get over 5 minutes. On the F-4, 4:30 or better. The outrunner in the F-4 does not need a high C battery (in my experience, inrunners definitely like a higher C battery). I've also flown the HRB 6000 50C and the Admiral 6000 50C in both, but I like the RT because it actually weighs less than both (790g vs 825g).

If you don't want to get at least a single 6000 mah 6S, then the two 4000 in parallel are a great option, maybe even THE BEST option. Phantom is the high capacity/longer flight time guru so take his advice, but please do not fly it on a single 4000 mah, if you need a go-around, that's all she wrote!
          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
          Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

Phantom has a great suggestion, hook them up in parallel. I also have an Avanti and 2 F-4's and fly off of grass. You'll have no problem getting it off with mid flaps. But I definitely suggest that you do not fly the F-4 on a single 4000 mah 6S. 90 seconds to 2 minutes will drive you crazy, barely enough time to get it trimmed. I fly both the Avanti and the F-4 on a Roaring Top 6250 35C battery. On the Avanti, I get over 5 minutes. On the F-4, 4:30 or better. The outrunner in the F-4 does not need a high C battery (in my experience, inrunners definitely like a higher C battery). I've also flown the HRB 6000 50C and the Admiral 6000 50C in both, but I like the RT because it actually weighs less than both (790g vs 825g).

If you don't want to get at least a single 6000 mah 6S, then the two 4000 in parallel are a great option, maybe even THE BEST option. Phantom is the high capacity/longer flight time guru so take his advice, but please do not fly it on a single 4000 mah, if you need a go-around, that's all she wrote!
            Awesome info. Avanti is very fun to fly. Just fancy something scale now too!

However - they are 4500's - total weight of the two is 1400g. I have definitely been put off bothering on a single 4500 though (thanks for all your input on this).

Question is - will the 2x 4500's fit? And it cope with the weight?

Anyone with a Freewing F4 able to see if two Zippy Compact 4500mah's would fit? 157x45x52mm is the sizing....!
            This is the battery...
            https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-co...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Failing that - I could add a 2000 or so in parallel (cheap ish option), or go full bore 8s

Comment

However - they are 4500's - total weight of the two is 1400g. I have definitely been put off bothering on a single 4500 though (thanks for all your input on this).

Anyone with a Freewing F4 able to see if two Zippy Compact 4500mah's would fit? 157x45x52mm is the sizing....!
              This is the battery...

Failing that - I could add a 2000 or so in parallel (cheap ish option), or go full bore 8s
              If none of that works, you can always try a single HRB 6000 mah 50C-100C burst for $84 on Amazon or the RT 6250 35C for $92. I've been testing several batteries for EDF's and will publish the results either later today or tomorrow, comparing the actual C tested on an IR& C rating meter, weight, dimensions, power output on various fans (using a GT power meter) and cost for Admirals, Roaring Top, HRB and Hobbystar. You'll see the results, but I think the HRB's are very good and the cheapest of that group. I'm not sure I'd put 2 completely different mah batteries together in parallel, just in case one drains faster, but I've never done that and you'll need Phantom to give you his experienced opinion. And for me, the 6S stock has plenty of punch and speed and gets off the grass well so not sure you need to go 8S, but let someone who has done the conversion give you his opinion.
              Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
              Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Since you are asking maybe you didn't see my post before? Then a couple of us said that while they won't fit or balance side by side that you MAY be able to shove on in the the turtle deck area behind the battery tray. Very doubtful if it'll fit or balance.

Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                The two batteries and a parallel adapter will be 1.5kg. I've flown 1050g packs and had to cut foam to move them back to where I wanted balance.

Also at 157x90x52 they might not fit.

Comment

• Hugh, for the record I've never done this...

"I'm not sure I'd put 2 completely different mah batteries together in parallel, just in case one drains faster, but I've never done that and you'll need Phantom to give you his experienced opinion."

I've mixed 5s and 3s in a series to create 8s, but both the 5s and the 3s were identical mah capacity, C rating, and even identical manufacturers and age.

For paralleled lipos, I've always used identical batteries, manufacturers, cell count, C rating, and mah capacity.

Not saying one can't mix, I just never have.

Comment

This is the battery...

BenAtkinsonUK In my opinion, since you are just getting into scale RC jets, I would recommend you keep it simple. Just get the 6S stock version F-4 and invest in a couple HRB 6000 50 C ($84 on Amazon & Ebay) or Roaring Top 6250 35 C batteries ($93). Either of those will also fly exceptionally well in the Avanti as well and as you no doubt will probably get additional EDF's, both batteries will serve you well with any other jet, especially the HRB because that one is great in both outrunners and inrunners. The stock F-4 with mid flaps and those batteries will get you off grass in 50 feet and will give you about 4 minutes or more flying time (depending on your throttle management). The stock F-4 has plenty of power for Cuban 8's, Split S's and other altitude climbing maneuvers but also cruises nicely at 50-60% throttle. But that just my 2 cents.
                    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

BenAtkinsonUK In my opinion, since you are just getting into scale RC jets, I would recommend you keep it simple. Just get the 6S stock version F-4 and invest in a couple HRB 6000 50 C ($84 on Amazon & Ebay) or Roaring Top 6250 35 C batteries ($93). Either of those will also fly exceptionally well in the Avanti as well and as you no doubt will probably get additional EDF's, both batteries will serve you well with any other jet, especially the HRB because that one is great in both outrunners and inrunners. The stock F-4 with mid flaps and those batteries will get you off grass in 50 feet and will give you about 4 minutes or more flying time (depending on your throttle management). The stock F-4 has plenty of power for Cuban 8's, Split S's and other altitude climbing maneuvers but also cruises nicely at 50-60% throttle. But that just my 2 cents.
                      Thats a good point. Really appreciate your input. Found similar 6200's that are more readily available with a good C rating for about ยฃ70 - so could easily go that route - that's for the inspiration !

Comment

Thats a good point. Really appreciate your input. Found similar 6200's that are more readily available with a good C rating for about ยฃ70 - so could easily go that route - that's for the inspiration !
                        And as I said, a side benefit of buying the 6200's for the F-4 will be that when you put them in your Avanti and you'll be getting up to or over 5 minutes of spirited flying instead of the 3 minutes or so your getting on the 4000's. You'll think you "died and went to heaven".
                        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Just posted (in a way to long 2 posts) the results of the internal resistance testing and power testing I did on some batteries I have for the F-4 (along with other EDF's) under the topic of Batteries, Lipo-Wars: Admiral vs RT/HRB/Hobbystar. Didn't want to muck up this thread with my brain dump so check it out there if you're interested.
                          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• BIG MISTAKE>>>>>>>>>>>>

Went to a different park on Tuesday evening ...Loads of tall trees round the edges so need to drop in quick from way up. Never bothered me before but as the F4 sinks like a brick so I started to come in way up... loving the sight ... full flap high AoA ,lights on ...dropping in....till it disappeared with a pretty loud crash! Yes, I was further out than I thought. Went over to the trees and for the life of me I could find no trace of the plane. No wreckage ...nothing. Tried the fan and listened but nothing (turned out the ESC shot forward and disconnected the wires) ...Spent half an hour looking for it and eventually saw the nav lights ...waaaaay up a huge f tree. Jeeze it was huge . Not a hope of getting it down myself, I came home wondering what to do. ยฃ700 stuck up a tree and me a Scotsman !!!!! Checked out tree surgeons on the net and found one pretty close but by this time it was midnight ....single malt came out! Anyway, yesterday morning I phoned the company and it turned out the owner, Mike, flew rc till a few years back so understood the problem..... told me to phone back lunchtime to give him time to work something out. Well, he phoned me back to say one of his crews was held up on another job by a huge wasps nest and he was sending it to the park at 1 o'clock!! When I got there they were all ready and the recovery started. They set up ropes swinging weights over branches and one guy started hauling himself up the tree. It was a lesson on how to think of everything BEFORE doing it. It was brilliant...to cap it all when they lowered the F4 on a carefully guided line it was obvious that it was very repairable, cracked wing ..few dents and wee bits here and there....but easily fixable. They would not bill me for their work ..Mike said he'll settle for a bottle of 12yr old MacAllen.... Happy days....

Comment

• Great story!

Comment

• Originally posted by locharrow View Post
                                BIG MISTAKE>>>>>>>>>>>>.Mike said he'll settle for a bottle of 12yr old MacAllen.... Happy days....
                                LA, that's an expensive mistake, laddie, but worth the many wee drams just to say it's so. Best always, LB
                                I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Thanks for all your help. I clicked PAY NOW last night and a 6S PNP camo version is on itโ€™s way to me in the UK ๐Ÿ‘

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	20190926_182630.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	264268Click image for larger version

Name:	20190926_220005.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	264269Click image for larger version

Name:	20191231_152410.jpg
Views:	618
Size:	252.1 KB
ID:	264267 I haven't been here in a long time, so I can't go through 200 pages .
                                    BVM Bandit, EFlite Carbon Z T-28, EFlite Carbon Z Cub, EFlite Promethus, FW Avanti S, FW A-10 ThunderBolt, FW P-51 Mustang, EFlite Convergance, EFlite Carbon Z Cessna 150, EFlite Habu, EFlite Styker Q-F27, HSD Navy Super Viper

Comment

• t33jetman looks a little cold where you are, especially for the summer. Must be at the South Pole. But then you never can trust someone wearing a "Buckeyes" cap, Go Big Blue!
                                      Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• William, where have you been?!

Comment

t33jetman looks a little cold where you are, especially for the summer. Must be at the South Pole. But then you never can trust someone wearing a "Buckeyes" cap, Go Big Blue!
                                          ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜ GO BUCKS !
                                          Just wanted to show off my F4 repaint from last August.
                                          The Covid19 virus really changed things on my job. We lost alot of money. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200708_223910.jpg
Views:	893
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	264302
                                          So I retired from my job July 1st. Now what to do....paint more airplanes.
                                          BVM Bandit, EFlite Carbon Z T-28, EFlite Carbon Z Cub, EFlite Promethus, FW Avanti S, FW A-10 ThunderBolt, FW P-51 Mustang, EFlite Convergance, EFlite Carbon Z Cessna 150, EFlite Habu, EFlite Styker Q-F27, HSD Navy Super Viper

Comment

Working...
                                          X