Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The ones I am using came from the tip tanks of the F-104. They have perfect flat plastic lenses that look like they were stock on the L-39. They used to sell them separate but I don't see them listed now.

Freewing F-104 Starfighter Yellow 90mm EDF Jet - PNP - FJ31021P Following up on their popular 70mm variant, Freewing has answered the many customer calls to scale up their F-104 Starfighter and give it the full "90mm Super Scale" treatment. The Freewing 90mm F-104 boasts a host of features that until recently were unim

Originally posted by Jez_AU View Post
    Hi guys,

Just ordered the L39 tonight. Looking forward to receiving it! Still making my way through this thread but what I have read so far was enough to convince me this is the edf I was after :) One quick question as I may not have reached this in the thread, what kind of LED are you using for the top and bottom fuse strobes?

Cheers

Jeremy

Comment

• Originally posted by Jez_AU View Post
      Hi guys,

Just ordered the L39 tonight. Looking forward to receiving it! Still making my way through this thread but what I have read so far was enough to convince me this is the edf I was after :) One quick question as I may not have reached this in the thread, what kind of LED are you using for the top and bottom fuse strobes?

Cheers

Jeremy
      I used the light set off the f-4. Any newer jet would work also. And I got the light covers for the leds from the l-39 plastic parts set. You use the teardrop ones and cut the tear drop section off with a knife.

Comment

• Thanks for all the info! Just got my shipping notification so should get it next week. Just need to order some batteries and I’ll be good to go

Comment

• Well it arrived! Quality blew me away. This is my first freewing model and wow! Have made a start this evening on the assembly which I finished in half an hour and so am waiting on my battery pack to arrive hopefully tomorrow so I can start setting up the throws and finalising balance.

Put it next to my 7 year old 70mm Tomahawk Viper for size comparison for a mate, the viper has the same wing size as the L39 but the fuse is incredibly shorter!

Now the L39 is here I might give the poor viper some tlc with a new paint job. It’s been one of my most reliable Jets ever, 5 min flight times on a 4s 4000mah pack and just keeps taking whatever I throw at it. Good fun!

Anyway, should be hopefully getting out next weekend weather permitting for the maiden. Will keep you all updated although I don’t think I’ll have any surprises after reading through this thread :)

Cheers

Jeremy

Comment

Well it arrived! Quality blew me away. This is my first freewing model and wow! Have made a start this evening on the assembly which I finished in half an hour and so am waiting on my battery pack to arrive hopefully tomorrow so I can start setting up the throws and finalising balance.

Put it next to my 7 year old 70mm Tomahawk Viper for size comparison for a mate, the viper has the same wing size as the L39 but the fuse is incredibly shorter!

Now the L39 is here I might give the poor viper some tlc with a new paint job. It’s been one of my most reliable Jets ever, 5 min flight times on a 4s 4000mah pack and just keeps taking whatever I throw at it. Good fun!

Anyway, should be hopefully getting out next weekend weather permitting for the maiden. Will keep you all updated although I don’t think I’ll have any surprises after reading through this thread :)

Cheers

Jeremy
            Awesome!!! I was not a L-39 fan at all. Did not like the colors.... So very glad to have her in my hangar! You will love it! I use max throws but a lot of expo. 45 ail, 60 elev, 20 rudder. After the maiden and two other flights, it was a keeper!.. Welcome to Hobby Squawk and many blessings to you Bro!!! Jerry:Cool::Cool::Cool:

Comment

• Thanks Jerry.

I’ve set up everything for now as I had a spare jeti bec I could set to 5v output to replicate the esc bec. Everything working great, all lights and rudder and steering working. Throws all set and dual rates for the first few flights until I get my preferred rates dialled in.

Just need my flight battery to arrive and I’m all set!

Comment

Thanks Jerry.

I’ve set up everything for now as I had a spare jeti bec I could set to 5v output to replicate the esc bec. Everything working great, all lights and rudder and steering working. Throws all set and dual rates for the first few flights until I get my preferred rates dialled in.

Just need my flight battery to arrive and I’m all set!

What battery did you go with Jez? The 5000mah is THE perfect pack for this IMO, but this model is so versatile, it will take a range of packs from all suppliers in this size.

S.

Comment

• Hi Stuart,

Ended up up with a ZIPPY COMPACT 6200MAH 6S 40-50C @ 835gr weight.

I didn’t Have a huge amount of choice but this is similar weight to the Admiral packs so hopefully will be okay and the extra capacity has its benefits

Cheers

Jeremy

Comment

Hi Stuart,

Ended up up with a ZIPPY COMPACT 6200MAH 6S 40-50C @ 835gr weight.

I didn’t Have a huge amount of choice but this is similar weight to the Admiral packs so hopefully will be okay and the extra capacity has its benefits

Cheers

Jeremy
                    Many people have good luck with Zippy Compacts, while some don't. They are great for prop planes with low to medium draw and some are even good for high draw like EDFs. However, don't be necessarily led into thinking you can get that extra flight time because they are rated 1200mah more than a standard 5000. Set your timer conservatively till you see for yourself just how much the plane takes out of the battery. I believe that batteries give you what they put into them (lb for lb). For example my HobbyKing 3000mah Graphenes perform the same (flight time and punch) as a standard 4000mah battery of the same # of cells and of similar "C" rating. Same goes for the HobbyKing Heavy Duty line of Turnigy batteries. A 5000mah HD performs very much like if it were a 6000 standard Turnigy. I use Zippies in one of my hovering jets (very high draw) and both of them have started to puff. The Graphenes can fly that jet the whole flight without even a hiccup. Luckily, the L-39 can be flown at lower draw throttle settings and still look exceptional in the air.
                    I presume you buy from HobbyKing because they are the easiest to get in Australia. Next time you buy batteries, take a look at the Graphene or HD line but get them in the 5000mah size. They'll perform like they were 6000+.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	B2C90B0F-8730-4779-9749-19DD0838F1E2.png
Views:	895
Size:	378.6 KB
ID:	191664 I like these. Cheap and just as good as others.

Comment

• As I've said many times just because a certain cell in one brand works well (or doesn't) doesn't mean they all will or won't. By "certain cell" I mean you may buy a Zippy Compact 3700 25C and it works awesome, like others 50C, but get a ZC 4000 and they puff in a month.

Point being try a battery. If it works well for you buy the same exact cell (mAh and C rating) is the configurations you use (3S, 4S, 5S, 6S, etc). Never assume that because you had good luck with a certain cell that every battery that brand puts out is as good. Also never assume that if you had a bad experience with a certain brand that every battery they make is crap.

That said my current preference for the L-39 (and a lot of other planes) is the Hobby Star 5200, awesome performance and low weight. I wish they were cheaper though.

Check HobbyStar 5200mAh 22.2V, 6S 35C LiPo Battery, SKU: 110-30-110 for just $84.99. HobbyStar LiPo packs combine quality components and powerful cell

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                        Many people have good luck with Zippy Compacts, while some don't. They are great for prop planes with low to medium draw and some are even good for high draw like EDFs. However, don't be necessarily led into thinking you can get that extra flight time because they are rated 1200mah more than a standard 5000. Set your timer conservatively till you see for yourself just how much the plane takes out of the battery. I believe that batteries give you what they put into them (lb for lb). For example my HobbyKing 3000mah Graphenes perform the same (flight time and punch) as a standard 4000mah battery of the same # of cells and of similar "C" rating. Same goes for the HobbyKing Heavy Duty line of Turnigy batteries. A 5000mah HD performs very much like if it were a 6000 standard Turnigy. I use Zippies in one of my hovering jets (very high draw) and both of them have started to puff. The Graphenes can fly that jet the whole flight without even a hiccup. Luckily, the L-39 can be flown at lower draw throttle settings and still look exceptional in the air.
                        I presume you buy from HobbyKing because they are the easiest to get in Australia. Next time you buy batteries, take a look at the Graphene or HD line but get them in the 5000mah size. They'll perform like they were 6000+.

Comment

• rc jet werx has some high c ratted batteries at a decent price https://rcjetwerx.com/

Comment

• Believe it or not, I have just tried these and I set my timer for 3 minutes.

Tower Hobbies carries an expansive collection of RC cars, RC airplanes, RC boats, model trains, sot cars, and supplies for all hobbyists.

They worked great. Landed over the 3 minutes (had to go around for a good landing). Cells were 3.7 to 3.8 and not very warm.

Buy the four pack deal with a coupon, super cheap that way.

Comment

• He's in Australia, guys. His "reasonably" priced access to decent batteries is somewhat limited due to extreme shipping costs. Getting anything from N. America may be prohibitive. They may start out "cheap" but by the time he gets it to his house, they become expensive.

Comment

• He can access HK there and to be fair lipo's is one of the area's they do well. Zippys are OK, graphenes nice and high C, but HEAVY! The discountined the best pack when I was there, the ASPEC's, high C and light weight, but Admiral fills that void nicely now ;)

S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stuart.MotionRC View Post
                                  He can access HK there and to be fair lipo's is one of the area's they do well. Zippys are OK, graphenes nice and high C, but HEAVY! The discountined the best pack when I was there, the ASPEC's, high C and light weight, but Admiral fills that void nicely now ;)

S.
                                  Exactly! That's why I stayed with HobbyKing products for him. Yes, Graphine's are heavy, but that's also why I did the comparison of flight time and punch. If you want a particular MAH and you go with Graphenes, you get one that is approx. 20 - 25% less MAH to do the same job. Same goes for Heavy Duty ones.

Comment

• Thanks for all the info guys.

Yes been in Aus the choice is limited somewhat especially with what’s in stock and available. My understanding is LiPos can’t be air freighted into the country, everything has to come by sea so as much as I’d love to buy some admiral packs that’s not an option yet, I am in the US on business in July so I may look to get a couple of packs then and bring them home as carry on.

Ill be be looking at a 5000 pack as well then. Just to give some perspective, this is all that’s available in stock in HK Australia in the 5000-6000mah range. Out of these 4 choices what would be the recommendation? The Turnighy HD pack has good reviews from a local using them on his FW Avanti so maybe go for this pack too. I have had very good success with the nano-tech on my 70mm viperjet getting nearly 5 minutes on 4s 4000mah packs as well but I do understand this is a different beast :)

These prices don’t include shipping. Would be keen on any feedback. Once I get a pack I like I’ll get a couple more.

Also on a side note, if I was to get one of the Flightline 1600mm Spitfire, would the zippy pack I have purchased be okay?

Thanks for all the help guys, really appreciate it

Cheers

Jeremy

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys.

Yes been in Aus the choice is limited somewhat especially with what’s in stock and available. LiPos can’t be air freighted into the country, everything has to come by sea so as much as I’d love to buy some admiral packs that’s not an option yet, I am in the US on business in July so I may look to get a couple of packs then and bring them home as carry on.

Ill be be looking at a 5000 pack as well then. Just to give some perspective, this is all that’s available in stock in HK Australia in the 5000-6000mah range. Out of these 4 choices what would be the recommendation? I have very good success with the nano-tech on my 70mm viperjet getting nearly 5 minutes on 4s 4000mah packs.

These prices don’t include shipping. Would be keen on any feedback

Thanks for all the help guys, really appreciate it

Cheers

Jeremy
                                      I've owned all 3 of the bottom batteries and a friend has used the top one. The Panther is quite new and has proven to give even more punch than the Graphene. Of the ones I've got, I didn't have much luck with the NanoTech. Flight times diminished quickly with use and puffed early in life. I stick with Graphene and Heavy Duty now but remember that when you get a 5000mah, they are heavy but will perform like they have 5500 to 6000mah of guts in them. I find both perform very similarly, with a marginal advantage going to the Graphene. Get the highest C you can buy. You may not need it but better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Comment

• I've had many hundreds of flights on Turnigy Graphene batteries now, primarily in the 5000mah size, 3S and 6S. They have performed great in my EDF and RC car applications. I've been extremely happy with their cell matching, voltage under load, temperature post flight, and power provided after many flights. The way they perform now is what they performed like when new. For the RC aircraft I fly, I'm not too concerned about the extra weight (the aircraft I've chosen to use them with handle the added weight without noticeable effect of wing loading and flight characteristics, and achieves proper CG easily enough) of the Graphene LiPo's as their cycle life and performance so far has made the tradeoff well worth it.

Comment

• My choice would be the HD, its lighter than the rest and still high C, plus much better price. Keep in mind your ESC will have an EC5, whereas all these lipo's use XT-90's, so you'll need to get an adapter from HK or replace the EC5 on the ESC with XT-90.

S.

Comment

Working...
                                          X