X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Alpha View Post
    Correct! Thanks for pointing this out. The Czech/Russian L-39s from the late 70s into the late 90s used colors similar to FS14079 and 14255, both of which are greens. The first code is the darker green and the second code is the lighter green. These are FS codes, so they're not exact to an aircraft from that region and that time period. But, they're fairly close, and based on our color samples, our L-39 is color scaled to represent those general colors. The lighter green is warmer and closer to tan, but seems less green especially in pictures when considered in contrast with the darker green beside it. If you were to separate the two colors onto separate swatches, most people would agree they're both green. But putting them side by side in certain lighting, there would be less consensus as to if they're both green or if one is decidedly less so. These factors are probably why the scheme has worked as an effective camo for decades, because the colors are relative to each other and yet not relative to each other in other ways. It's confusing. Which is what camo is supposed to do.

We were hesitant to release this color scheme for visibility concerns, but the gray belly and yellow tips and nose to enhance visibility to an acceptable degree. Plus, the scheme just looks so darn cool. :Cool:

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC00858.JPG Views:	0 Size:	139.0 KB ID:	199215

Thanks for clarifying the colors, I have to admit that I was a little surprised when I opened the box, I did think it was more of a desert camo than a light green with dark green. I only posted this to give others a heads-up before they ordered it. This is not a complaint post either, this is an awesome looking jet, you guys did an excellent job on the camo colors and markings, everything worked out of the box no complaints whatsoever and she will look good with a nice gloss satin finish, she is so puuurty I'm not sure I'll even put the drop tanks on, looks more sleek without them.

Comment

• Good luck on your maiden, Dcorsair! Let us know how you think the new color behaves in the sky. Shadier planes feel a little faster to my mind.

The color conversation is a fun one, and it can get deep in a rabbit hole, quick. We color calibrate our monitors and try to rely on physical samples whenever possible. Colorimeters and other gear help get it close, all the while recognizing that after the scale factor equation, there is still a wide range of possible colors which could be called "accurate" on many airplanes. The plastic model guys build castles and moats and wage siege warfare on what color was used on what plane on which day it flew.... we don't get that low in the weeds, but, within reason, it is a subject that fascinates me. I think that foundation shows through in a lot of what we produce. Designing within constraints also applies to color, since custom batches of special paint aren't cheap. All in all, good times.

In any event, back to the on topic thread: Has anyone else flown their Camo L-39 yet? I know we've delivered literally more than a ton of these already. Perhaps everyone is too busy flying to Squawk back about it?
      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• All I can say is, the paint and finish are perfect, you guys must have did this one just for me.:):)​​​​​

If this looks this good, can only imagine what the Blue Angel F-18 will look like in person, thanks for listening to your customers, I wanted a Blue Angel F-18, Camo F-4 and a Camo L-39, you guys did them all.:Cool::Cool:​​​​​​

Will fly mine soon, maybe tomorrow morning will be the camo maiden or I might just look at it for a few days.LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by wvrailfan View Post
          For any here that may have both. how do you compare the L-39 to the Freewing F-86? I consider the F-86 a very easy plane to fly and I'm looking for something similar.
          If you like flying the F-86, you will love the L-39, faster and it tracks like it's on rails, flight times are good too. It is a good all around jet, sporty yet scale, more so with the new camo version.

Comment

• IT'S ONE SEXY PAINT JOB!!
            Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

• Oh yeah it is, and I found something interesting as to why the pics on the MRC website looks different in some of their pics, took these this evening and look at the difference that the sun makes at different angles, looks brown/tan in one pic and green/green in the other pics.
              Got the maiden in also, the camo works is all I can say, it wasn't hard to see the jet, it was like it was all one color top and bottom, now it was cloudy overcast with the sun just setting, lights looked awesome, so I think it will be great in the morning sunrise and a nice blue sky day, have to be honest though, the red,blue & white one is easier to see no matter what the day was like. So the maiden went perfect because I still had the other version still programmed in my radio, all trims are perfectly straight, no out of trim at all. One problem and I found it before the maiden, every time the nose gear went up and as soon as the steering stopped working as it should when retracted, the rudder would twitch to the right about 5mm and stay that way, and then when I dropped the gear it would go back to center right when the steering would start working as the nose gear is coming down, so I bypassed the BB and it all worked fine, I hate these BBoxes, junk in my book, just can't trust them.:P
              Attached Files

Comment

• Congrats on your successful maiden! Yes, "Camo Works". That would make a neat T-shirt slogan.
                Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Got two more flights in this morning before work, so much better to see with the sun just coming up and a blue sky, my wife got it on video, first time she filmed anything for me, it's not great but she did her best, will load it later this evening and post it. Love the Camo, it looks so much better and more scale than the regular version. Think I might go ahead and install the drop tanks but paint them yellow to match the wingtips. Good job Alpha and the crew for making this one possible, now do a repaint on the F-15................:)

Comment

• Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post
                    Got two more flights in this morning before work, so much better to see with the sun just coming up and a blue sky, my wife got it on video, first time she filmed anything for me, it's not great but she did her best, will load it later this evening and post it. Love the Camo, it looks so much better and more scale than the regular version. Think I might go ahead and install the drop tanks but paint them yellow to match the wingtips. Good job Alpha and the crew for making this one possible, now do a repaint on the F-15................:)
                    Awesome! After I finish my custom Grey F-18, I will print and paint these up for the camo L-39. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3656501

Comment

• The Russian stars on the bottom of the wing on my camo L-39 delivered today have been put on back to front.
                      My friend also got his L-39 kit today, and he has the same problem on his kit too.

Gordon.
                      U.K.

Comment

• Originally posted by James View Post

Awesome! After I finish my custom Grey F-18, I will print and paint these up for the camo L-39. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3656501
                        Let me know what support type you use. I printed up a version of this but found my supports cracked the small tubes at the base of the unit. I’m using Cura so if by chance you are using this would be interested to know which setting you went with.

Cheers

jeremy

Comment

• Originally posted by Jez_AU View Post

Let me know what support type you use. I printed up a version of this but found my supports cracked the small tubes at the base of the unit. I’m using Cura so if by chance you are using this would be interested to know which setting you went with.

Cheers

jeremy
                          Starting to print now. Going with supports everywhere on a 60 degree overhang, 40mm print speed, 5% infill and a raft to hold it down. I'll report back in 13 hours :Whew:

Comment

• Originally posted by Gordon View Post
                            The Russian stars on the bottom of the wing on my camo L-39 delivered today have been put on back to front.
                            My friend also got his L-39 kit today, and he has the same problem on his kit too.

Gordon.
                            U.K.
                            Yep, just checked mine and they are backwards, I'm sure MRC will get right on it to fix those stars. Here is a video of my Camo version, sorry for the quality, my phone did not do well for some reason.

Comment

Starting to print now. Going with supports everywhere on a 60 degree overhang, 40mm print speed, 5% infill and a raft to hold it down. I'll report back in 13 hours :Whew:
                              Don’t do supports everywhere, I did that on my first attempt and it put supports inside the tubes, my second attempt was with base supports only and that worked however they broke the tubes when removing

Look forward to your reply in 13 hours!

Comment

Don’t do supports everywhere, I did that on my first attempt and it put supports inside the tubes, my second attempt was with base supports only and that worked however they broke the tubes when removing

Look forward to your reply in 13 hours!
                                Did you alter the overhang angle? If you leave it at 0 degrees, supports become almost one with the build, going over 45 degrees, supports have enough space between the print while giving the rigidity for it to build clean. 90 degrees is basically no support.

Comment

Did you alter the overhang angle? If you leave it at 0 degrees, supports become almost one with the build, going over 45 degrees, supports have enough space between the print while giving the rigidity for it to build clean. 90 degrees is basically no support.
                                  Yes had overhang at 60. Giving it another go now. hopefully I've got enough filament left for this one as I'm using white instead of my usual green :) Will report back in the morning if it's done before I leave for work.

Comment

• Finished 15 minutes ago. Everything pulled off easy. Looks good

Comment

• Very nice!

Unfortunately I can’t print vertically as my
                                      machine is just to short for this model (ask me how I know) this is how mine came out overnight. My supports are thick along the base so will have to be careful removing them off the tubes.

Thinking I might split the file along the line towards the rear which will allow me to print two pieces vertically

Attached Files

Comment

Very nice!

Unfortunately I can’t print vertically as my
                                        machine is just to short for this model (ask me how I know) this is how mine came out overnight. My supports are thick along the base so will have to be careful removing them off the tubes.

Thinking I might split the file along the line towards the rear which will allow me to print two pieces vertically

That will look great, a little sanding and some paint and it will be all good. I am half-way into the second one then I will start painting. Will look MEAN on the camo bird!

Comment

• I am having resolution problems on the instrument panels. Geeetech A10, .4mm, 30mm speed and .1mm resolution. What position is best to print these as im doing it flat to the plate. Should i be doing them vertically? The seats came out ok but the instrument face plate and side panels being thin and then have th esupport pegs on back makes the supports hard near impossible to remove. Rank beginner I am! Help me Obi One

Comment

Working...
                                          X