X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JeremySean View Post
    Not looking to do anything crazy like have each control surface have its own channel. Was wondering if I can make a 6 channel receiver work…. Was thinking this setup. Let me know what your guys thoughts are. Was just going to Y connect the TV with the tailerons and rudder.

1. Throttle
    2. Aileron
    3. Taileron 1/ TV (Pitch)
    4. Rudder/ TV (Yaw)
    5. Gear
    6. Taileron 2/ TV (Pitch)

I think this will work… my biggest question is, is it hard to take-off and land with the TV on?
    It looks like you have the wing ailerons mixed with the tailerons? Will this work? When you move the Tx stick left/right you will get Aileron movement and Tail movement. But, when you move the Tx stick up/down won't you get Tail movement and Aileron movement?

For my Su-35 the wing surfaces act as flaps, not as ailerons. The tailerons with TV provide plenty of roll and pitch authority.

Comment

• Originally posted by JeremySean View Post
      Not looking to do anything crazy like have each control surface have its own channel.
      That's not crazy, that's what I would consider standard good practice.

Originally posted by JeremySean View Post
      Was wondering if I can make a 6 channel receiver work….
      That, on the other hand, much more closely resembles my idea of 'crazy'... ( :

It's doable, but it's not a great idea, and anyone telling you otherwise is really not your friend.

8ch is already very borderline for this jet, 6ch sounds like a fever dream.

Get a 16ch transmitter. Nowadays you have cheap decent options from manufacturers like FrSky or Radiomaster at 200$ or lower.

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post

That's not crazy, that's what I would consider standard good practice.

That, on the other hand, much more closely resembles my idea of 'crazy'... ( :

It's doable, but it's not a great idea, and anyone telling you otherwise is really not your friend.

8ch is already very borderline for this jet, 6ch sounds like a fever dream.

Get a 16ch transmitter. Nowadays you have cheap decent options from manufacturers like FrSky or Radiomaster at 200$ or lower.

Okay your convincing me...... so now which FrySky transmitter?? They have like a hundred of them. Also, is the range good on the FrySky??

Comment

• It depends on your personal preferences.
          Be careful though, FrSky and FlySky are different brands. When you say 'FrySky' I don't know what you are referring to.

For FrSky I'd probably get the Horus or one of the latest Taranis iterations.
          Ideally you should get to have them in your hands first before you buy and see which kind of design feels better.
          I personally like more the classic Futaba / JR / Taranis design and feel.
          Try and see if a clubmate will let you pick his so you can see how you like it.

The new Radiomaster also seems to pack quite a lot for the price.

Comment

• Finally... FINALLY!!!! :DDDDDDDDDDDD

Comment

• AG - Amazing!! What EDFs? Batteries? Did you lighten the structure any?

Finally INDEED! I’d call that a success.

-GG

Comment

• Ag.. dude!.. your piloting skills never cease to amaze me!! Very inspiring...
                Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

Rudderbrakes are not really needed, although they are useful to shorten rollout on paved runways.
                  Remember you MUST reinforce the stabs, or glue them in if you plan to use rudderbrakes or they will break in mid-flight and make you crash.

I am not familiar with your radio gear, but assuming 10ch is your limit... I'd rather link vectored yaw with rudders and have wheel steering on a separate channel for convenience.
                  Mechanically trimming the nose-wheel direction is a huge pain.

1> Throttle
                  2> L Aileron (For flaperon use)
                  3> R Aileron (For flaperon use)
                  4> L Taileron
                  5> R Taileron
                  6> Both rudders in a Y harness + TV Nozzle (Yaw)
                  7> L TV Nozzle (Pitch)
                  8> R TV Nozzle (Pitch)
                  9> Wheel Steering
                  10> Gear (with sequencer for the doors)
                  Thanks again,
                  I finally got to it unboxing this weekend and it's almost done.
                  I have the mixes set to a 3 position switch so that I have tailerons with TV, only TV and no tailerons no TV(normal elevator)
                  Ailerons are on a y harness all the time that gives me one port free for the gyro gain knob.
                  I have my hobby eagle gyro controlling just the TV nozzles for all the 3 axis corrections.

Is this a good setup to maiden ? My mixes for the tialeron and TV are at 125% ? Is that good ?
                  Plus how much do you recommend flaperons ? I might remove the y harness on tht ailerons once I dial on the gyro gain and fix it.
                  The setup only needs ailerons or falperons? There I no need of mixing traditional delta setup ( pitch control ) to the ailerons . We have the horizontal stabilizer and TV for that ?
                  It was a pretty interesting setup to get it all working, I selected the Wing type as normal on my NX 10 (one serve aileron one servo tail) did all the mixes manually to get tialeron and TV' the port for the TV on tht rx goes to my gyro set to Delta controlling the TV nozzles. Having a dual servo horizonal stabilizer wing type on tht NX10 didn't work that well with the gyro set to Delta.

Thanks

Comment

• And that's how my Christmas went!

Comment

And that's how my Christmas went!

Nice. Try that with an Avanti!

What packs are you using?

Comment

And that's how my Christmas went!

Excellent flying (again)

You guys at Club Els Cards should really pony up and get a Geotextile runway, it would be perfect in that environment.

Comment

• I got the desert camo version. Overall I was pleased with the build and used the tips RC4ever posted on YouTube. Plane flew well on maiden, except not enough expo on the elevator and CG was too far forward. Landing was really challenging but after a few attempts got it down safely with a really long rollout.

Second flight was much better and thrust vectoring was awesome! Made a hard landing and the super stiff gear didn't give. Broke both main gear cases in same place. Have never seen that on any other set of gear. I ordered replacements and found that the replacements like the original gear was binding when compressed. Even after using carbon lube on them they still don't give easily. So I would ask the community, Any advice on softening up the gear on this big jet?

Appreciate any help

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post
                            Nice. Try that with an Avanti!

What packs are you using?
                            Thanks!
                            HRB 50C 6S 5000mAh (725g) in those flights.

Originally posted by TangoVector View Post
                            Excellent flying (again)

You guys at Club Els Cards should really pony up and get a Geotextile runway, it would be perfect in that environment.
                            Thanks!
                            If all goes well we may get green lights to pave it this year or the next... we'll see!

Originally posted by Ah's Availble View Post
                            I got the desert camo version. Overall I was pleased with the build and used the tips RC4ever posted on YouTube. Plane flew well on maiden, except not enough expo on the elevator and CG was too far forward. Landing was really challenging but after a few attempts got it down safely with a really long rollout.
                            I did mention I was using around 70% expo on pitch though, I think?
                            Well, glad that you sorted it out anyway! :)

Originally posted by Ah's Availble View Post
                            Any advice on softening up the gear on this big jet?
                            I get by with the stock gear, but some people replaced it with the Freewing F-15 trailing link struts which fit more or less easily and are better made. ;)

Comment

• How about posting that short clip of the super high alpha pass?

Comment

• Hi Everyone,

I apologize if this was asked/answered in a prior post. I tried searching through the tread but couldn't find what i'm looking for. I'm awaiting a new transmitter that handle 10+ channels (FySky X20S). The weather is going to be perfect this weekend and I really want to fly it. Are there any issues or concerns if I fly this as a 'basic' 5 channel setup (T,A,E,R,G)? Basically, I want to fly this w/out thrust vectoring.

Thanks.

Comment

• What reciever are you using? I have the X10s running the ethos software. If you tell me what reciever you have planned I can get you where you need to go. If you are running a r8 pro or 10 pro to keep the nozzles centered I would set those in the outputs, trim them in the outputs as flat as possible, and don't set the mixing for those channels. Then when you feel like you want them later, you can always activate them in the mixing menu. If you are running a 6ch like a R6, just keep them unplugged and center the nozzles add some hot glue so later if again you want to activate them you can pull the glue off and go to town with them. That's just my suggestion.

Comment

• Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
                                    What reciever are you using? I have the X10s running the ethos software. If you tell me what reciever you have planned I can get you where you need to go. If you are running a r8 pro or 10 pro to keep the nozzles centered I would set those in the outputs, trim them in the outputs as flat as possible, and don't set the mixing for those channels. Then when you feel like you want them later, you can always activate them in the mixing menu. If you are running a 6ch like a R6, just keep them unplugged and center the nozzles add some hot glue so later if again you want to activate them you can pull the glue off and go to town with them. That's just my suggestion.
                                    That will be great. I'm planning on using a SR10 Pro receiver w/ the X20S. Currently, I have a Spektrum NX8 and will use a AR630 to fly on a simple setup w/out T.V.
                                    I'll use your advice and keep the keep the T.V. channels unplugged and center all surfaces.

Comment

• That aught to work.

Comment

• Originally posted by salali View Post
                                        Hi Everyone,

I apologize if this was asked/answered in a prior post. I tried searching through the tread but couldn't find what i'm looking for. I'm awaiting a new transmitter that handle 10+ channels (FySky X20S). The weather is going to be perfect this weekend and I really want to fly it. Are there any issues or concerns if I fly this as a 'basic' 5 channel setup (T,A,E,R,G)? Basically, I want to fly this w/out thrust vectoring.

Thanks.
                                        If you fly without tv, assuming you still have the servos connected to tv I suggest you align the nozzles as per RC4 ever video. be aware that it is very easy to knock the tv out of line on take off or landing or if you accidentally knock them in transport.so immobilize them once you have set the correct thrust line. Have a good weekend.

Comment

• And remember to detach nozzle trim from stab trim. You don't want to change thrustline every time you adjust stab trim.

Originally posted by kallend View Post
                                          How about posting that short clip of the super high alpha pass?
                                          Will do. You must realize that editing, rendering, uploading, preparing the SEO and distributing videos takes quite some effort and time is limited ;)

It's on the queue though (Along with many others).

Comment

Working...
                                          X