X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by scootergenie View Post
    xviper, my manual has a totally different cg. If I measure back from the break in the wing 4mm, that puts the cg way ahead of mine and yours. I made another mark on the bottom of the wing where I think Click image for larger version  Name:	20200321_194709.jpg Views:	0 Size:	42.1 KB ID:	243662Click image for larger version  Name:	20200321_194726.jpg Views:	0 Size:	71.5 KB ID:	243663 you have yours. Can you confirm this ? I would like to start there, if yours is flying good.
    It was posted that the original manual was incorrect. That's why there was an addendum in subsequent manuals. If you go to the website to the "support" page, you will see the manual and addendum with the picture that I put up earlier. In that picture from post #612, put the CG mark 4mm forward of where the crosshairs are.

Comment

• Gotcha, thanks.

Comment

• Looking for a right side wing for my F35. Anyone got one ?

Comment

• Jut about ready. I went ahead and ordered a new wing set today, and a decal sheet. Getting my electronics together, and running wires. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200323_175102.jpg
Views:	784
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	244226Click image for larger version

Name:	20200323_175124.jpg
Views:	744
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	244227

Comment

• Looking good, Scootergenie.

To all of us F-35 drivers, has anyone engineered an opening canopy mod yet? We had looked at the possibility of doing this at the factory, but ruled it out. In practice, though, it should be easy enough for a modeler to execute, with the additional advantage of the hinge being on the front of the canopy, greatly reducing the risk of an aft-hinged canopy catching wind and flying off mid-flight.

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Thank you Alpha. You got me thinking about the canopy mod. In the mean time, while I wait for my wing and decals, a little weathering occupied my time today. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200324_175455.jpg
Views:	802
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	244621

Comment

• Got my new wing and decals from Motion in record time ! Thanks guys. She's starting to look like her old self again. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200327_172427.jpg
Views:	743
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	245444Click image for larger version

Name:	20200327_173416.jpg
Views:	710
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	245445Click image for larger version

Name:	20200327_210001.jpg
Views:	677
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	245446Click image for larger version

Name:	20200327_214750.jpg
Views:	745
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	245447

Comment

• Nice restoration, scootergenie ! It looks better than new. The weathering along the RAM panels especially help sell the overall effect. Subtle, well toned, and realistic!

Comment

• Your kind words are much appreciated Alpha. On my end, the work you guys do to bring our toys to market deserves recognition. I can't measure the enjoyment I've had over the years building, customizing, and flying the jets you've offered. The design, distribution, and product support have been nothing short of excellent in my experience.

Comment

• Finally finished, and ready for action. Now, if they would just re open our flying field....oh well, on to the next project. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200328_210332.jpg
Views:	755
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	245615

Comment

• Very nice!!! Great job. 👍

Comment

• Thanks Hardway !

Comment

• Hello guys, maybe not the question to ask in this thread but need some reliable information, I am building a scratch built 70mm edf jet and looking for options in retracts and struts, my question is the following, can anyone of you provide measurements for the main and nose LG struts? Specifically: length from strut mounting pin (Not including the Pin) to the Wheel Axle center-line, Mounting pin diameter, Wheel Diameter and width. This would be really helpful as I want to use the struts in my design and buy them as spare parts. Hope is not much to ask. Regards

Comment

• emilioer Welcome to Hobby Squawk! What jet are you scratch-building?

I don't have one of our F-35s in front of me, but I'm sure one of the other members here will post measurements for you.

Comment

• Some months ago I crashed a 70mm F16 beyond repair, I intend to use some of the components to build a Viper Jet,I want to try to make a full fiberglass fuse and balsa wings. Thanks and hope someone can help with the measurements.

Comment

• Originally posted by scootergenie View Post
                                  Finally finished, and ready for action. Now, if they would just re open our flying field....oh well, on to the next project.
                                  Looking good.

I have been doing some repainting on mine to make it a more accurate AF-01 as well. Have erased the upper light colored panel outlines and am working on the lower ones. I erased the black hexagonal dielectric panels on the wing roots, as there are no panels there. Will add the tail formation lights, the LM star on the right wing and other minor odds and ends. Keeping the AF-01 rollout tail art, for the visibility it provides.

One funny minor error at the factory was the aircraft warning markings. The ejection warning triangles are correct, but FW decided to use these same ejection warning triangles all over the airplane, where these other triangles should read either "jet intake" (the ones at front of the intakes) or "jet exhaust" (the ones on the bottom aft part of the fuse.....:) I have the art for these and will like print some correct ones.

AF-01 did not have the DAS sensors installed, but will likely add them (small black trapezoids in front of the canopy, behind the canopy and two on the bottom), since it has the forward fuse DAS windows in place.

One of the main things I want to do it put a much more correct pilot bust in there. I have some micro carbon fiber decals that will conform to the actual helmet shape.

Attached Files

Comment

• Yes, please, someone 3DP that helmet!

I'd need to move 10,000 to amortize the mold (not gonna happen), so 3DP is perfect for this kind of "Perfect Pilot" project

Comment

• Im not sure if Alpha gets across every post made in this forum, but I know there's a bunch of much smarter people than me so welcome anyone to chime in.

This plane never really got along with our grass field. All grass is not created equal. Tried a number of things, mostly related to the AoA (per stuart's video) but only ever got it off the ground a handful of times in dozens of attempts. Did plenty of damage tearing across the field as well lol. Anyway, resigned to the fact it just wasnt meant to be, I put the powerplant in another ARF and put the F35 up on static display.

With plenty of spare time lately I've cracked open the guts of the F35, scooped out some of its internal organs and shoe-horned a 9bl 80mm EDF from an Avanti in there, with a view to giving her a little more oomph to get going.

The diameter of the ducting (thrust tube in the fuse) looks pretty good @ 66mm (perhaps 65.9mm - it's an interference fit with a 66mm measure). This puts it around 87% of the avanti EDF's FSA. Not great, not terrible. I've fabricated (3d printed) an adapter of sorts to make a nice smooth transition from the EDF housing to the 66mm ID of the thrust tube in the rear of the fuse. The tailcone originally tapered to around 60mm (which I've now opened up so it's 66mm straight through from the adapter to the tailcone). Am I right in saying this tapered tailcone is how the clever people at freewing tuned the thrust tube to suit the 70mm inrunner? Because 66mm throughout the fuselage feels kind of big for the FSA of a 70mm EDF, but I understand these matters are quite complex and my understanding is basic.

Now my mind turns to the intake area and whether this is going to be sufficient to feed the 80mm EDF. The cheater on the F35 is quite generous but I'm not afraid to get the knife out if needed.

At the end of the day if this turns out to be a spectacular failure, there's not much lost, but it will be cool if I can get some air time out of this beautiful airframe. What could possibly go wrong lol.

Comment

• Quarantine flying at its best....

Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
                                        I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• U guys r lucky. We can only go out of house 4. Work. Food. Exersize. Or medical. If cops c u. $1600. Fine. U may b the right person to ask!!!! F35. Would b good as. A second edf. I have a me 262. Thanx

Comment

Working...
                                          X