Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To those who fly off grass fields, what is the take off run length you usually see? Our field is 400 ft in length and I'm just waiting for the ends to dry out a bit so I have the full length available. It would be nice to have an idea of how long a run this aircraft needs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scale Freak View Post
      To those who fly off grass fields, what is the take off run length you usually see? Our field is 400 ft in length and I'm just waiting for the ends to dry out a bit so I have the full length available. It would be nice to have an idea of how long a run this aircraft needs.
      Using 1/2 flaps, this thing will get off the grass in just over 200 feet. Of course, it depends on the grass. Until you figure out how much you need, start at the very end and "give 'er".

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	359BFCAA-D26C-493A-9397-DA1967D479E1.jpeg
Views:	1255
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	260408Click image for larger version

Name:	450442BE-E30A-454E-B8BC-6CDF156746B1.jpeg
Views:	1290
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	260409 Got my Max 10 configured with an FPV setup. The camera has a pan function but not tilt due to the limited lines of sight. I tried to make the FPV gear as unobtrusive as possible. Can’t wait to give it a try from the cockpit! Click image for larger version

Name:	1CEAB67F-7E44-48D6-9B6C-69208F54D3B7.jpeg
Views:	1227
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	260406Click image for larger version

Name:	74EDA0B6-6DE1-4D48-B889-7C2FDF7A4BFC.jpeg
Views:	1207
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	260407

Comment

• I’ve just taken delivery of my A37 and the kit looks quality. I do have a couple questions for you experts out there.

Batteries: I have eight 3300mah 6s 40c lipos. Can I parallel 2 up inside the fuselage? I’m a bit concerned on the weight.

Dropping the U/C before assembly of wing to fuselage. To save removing the connector block each time to access the U/C lead, I intend using a y lead on each wing, with one tail sticking out along with the motor leads, so I can use a servo tester to move the U/C.

Have any of you covered the Fuselage joint with the supplied tape? My joint seems good without, just concerned if I try it, don’t like it and pull off the paint if I remove the tape.

Thats all for now..any advice much appreciated

Comment

• Duplicate

Comment

• Originally posted by IanF View Post
              I’ve just taken delivery of my A37 and the kit looks quality. I do have a couple questions for you experts out there.

Batteries: I have eight 3300mah 6s 40c lipos. Can I parallel 2 up inside the fuselage? I’m a bit concerned on the weight.

Dropping the U/C before assembly of wing to fuselage. To save removing the connector block each time to access the U/C lead, I intend using a y lead on each wing, with one tail sticking out along with the motor leads, so I can use a servo tester to move the U/C.

Have any of you covered the Fuselage joint with the supplied tape? My joint seems good without, just concerned if I try it, don’t like it and pull off the paint if I remove the tape.

Thats all for now..any advice much appreciated
              Battery weight is NOT going to be a concern for this plane. It's huge, has a large battery compartment that can allow for lots of movement to place the battery to achieve the correct balance. Although I've only ever flown this plane with 5000mah, I feel it could easily take two of those and not even break a sweat. 6600mah would be nothing for this plane.
              People have done several different things to be able to drop the gear before the wings go on. I just drop them the first time as per the manual, then I just leave them down for transport and storage. Some have moved the control board closer to the rear of the compartment so they can plug in the ribbon cable while the wings are still far enough away from the fuse to drop the gear. Doing as you are planning is another option. I feel there's already enough stuff to plug in that I wouldn't want yet another pair to have to deal with. But whatever works for each person.
              Yes, I used the tape. It looks like crap. And yes, if you pull on it, the paint WILL come off.

Comment

• Thanks for the info xviper. Just spent the evening tidying up the wiring under the battery tray and around the control board. I like to have neat installation of wiring. So always spend some time on this with all my toys.

You are right, the tape looks crap. I’ve used some white Deluxe Materials Model Lite to smooth out the joint and it blends so well it doesn’t even need paint!

No doubt I’ll have further questions going forward.

Comment

• Ok, another question to put out there, for those using a gyro, where did you place it? I am under the impression that they should be at the C of G, so they are at the centre of each axis.
                  that would put it quite far back, so are they ok more forward near the reciever placement?
                  thanks again!

Comment

Ok, another question to put out there, for those using a gyro, where did you place it? I am under the impression that they should be at the C of G, so they are at the centre of each axis.
                    that would put it quite far back, so are they ok more forward near the reciever placement?
                    thanks again!
                    On the CG is ideal BUT this is not always possible nor is it absolutely necessary. I've received 3D jets (SebArt Mig 29) where the factory installed gyro was installed in the nose of the plane and extensions used to reach the RX. No matter where along the plane you put a gyro, the roll axis is covered. Pitch and yaw axis will still work even if the gyro is not even near the CG. Here's where mine is located:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3678.JPG
Views:	934
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	260521

Comment

• I’ve fitted the motor pods onto the wings, and at the same time modified the wiring for the retracts using a y lead to allow the u/c to drop by connecting a servo tester.
                      one socketend of the y lead has been glued beside the flap servo with the socket flush with the wing surface. (see piccy).
                      Once I’ve tested them a few times I’ll paint the ends white to blend.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• For what it's worth, the graphics scale wise from Callie also works for the Winrider 737. I can transport the Winrider without removing the wings.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200621_070312 (2).jpg
Views:	838
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	261470

Comment

• Finally had a good day for a maiden, not a perfect day but good enough, my last attempt was cancelled due to high winds. Today I got there early since I knew that wind would pick up. Flight was uneventful , winds 10-12 MPH right down the runway, I advanced throttle flaps at take off setting, after a roll of about 100 ft she rotated and up she went, gear up flaps up and she settled into a gentle left turn, no trims of any control surfaced needed, I was amazed. She flies great at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle, on a calm day 1/2 is all thats needed. After a few passes and about 4 min I lowered flaps on the down wind flowed by the gear. Since Im used to much larger warbird my flap setting were much less than recommended, is my experience that model plane do not need as much flaps as the full size counterpart, too much flap and you’ll just adding unneeded drag. So once lined up with the runway I reduced power into a glide slope, with the head wind she floated a bit on the flare till mains touched down. This is one fun plane and very realistic in the air, the lack of gyro made it wiggle a bit on cross wind but other than that it was a great maiden. My only complaint ....the paint scheme, the gray is hard to see, I had to ask my spotter to remove my sunglasses cause I had a hard time seeing it with clouds in the background. Great job Freewing.
                          Attached Files

Comment

To those who fly off grass fields, what is the take off run length you usually see? Our field is 400 ft in length and I'm just waiting for the ends to dry out a bit so I have the full length available. It would be nice to have an idea of how long a run this aircraft needs.
                            See my post on maiden, 100 ft and she is up in the air, unless you grass is very high ours is cut like a golf course, but the taxiways are as you see them in the picture and she rolls easily on it.

Comment

• Nice Job Slowflight. need to get mine done when I get home from the Billings MT.Airshow

Comment

• This afternoon my buddy Jason Bennett put together a really cool video presentation of the AL37 flying today, which consists of three different videos playing at the same time - one shot from the tail fin (using a stabilized Insta360 GO micro camera), one shot from the belly (a RunCam) and a chase video shot from Jason's drone. There are some really cool views here, enjoy!

I am still getting used to landing this thing correctly, I always seem to need a little more "up" at touchdown. But it was a pretty good landing.

We pulled out all the fancy new cameras for Marc's flight of his Freewing AL47 Airliner.

Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Any Seahawks fans here??

Comment

• @ Flaming Geyser Field in Washington state:

Comment

• Originally posted by Angryflyer View Post
                                      Any Seahawks fans here??
                                      No!

Comment

• Originally posted by borntoolate View Post

No!
                                        😛

Comment

• Originally posted by Angryflyer View Post
                                          Any Seahawks fans here??
                                          I see you also have the AL-37, too, besides the OV-10. On the topic of gyros, you may have noticed that this plane also has a bit of a “waddle” in cross winds. A simple gyro will also control that quite effectively.

Comment

Working...
                                          X