Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New from Freewing Model! New demo team scheme and installed TV option with 30g metal Stab Servos

Buy yours here while they last!

https://www.rc-castle.com/index.php?...roduct_id=9910
    https://www.rc-castle.com/index.php?...roduct_id=9910

Comment

• Pictures were posted about a month ago with a lot of speculation. If I had the choice of the two I'd prefer this scheme but no way I'm buying another one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
        Pictures were posted about a month ago with a lot of speculation. If I had the choice of the two I'd prefer this scheme but no way I'm buying another one.
        Posted where?

Comment

• RCG

Picture was one of the Taiwan pilots with one I think.

Thanks John!

Comment

• Originally posted by JLambCWU View Post

Posted where?
            Here:

Freewing MiG-29 Fulcrum Twin 80mm EDF Jet​ Freewing first established the Twin 80mm class of EDF jets with its popular F-14 Tomcat and then the A-10 Warthog, and now we are proud to announce the Freewing MiG-29 Fulcrum! Represented in 1/9 scale, this large aircraft is 1878mm (74”) long with a 1257mm (50”) wingspan,

Comment

RCG

Picture was one of the Taiwan pilots with one.

have a link perhaps?

Comment

• I would have preferred that scheme myself.

Comment

• Nope, sorry...

Originally posted by JLambCWU View Post

have a link perhaps?

Comment

• Hey guys, I've finally gotten around to assembling my Mig-29. Mine was shipped shortly after the elevator servo upgrade, so I have them and the solid pushrods. I've read a good number of posts about mods/changes to make to the plane prior to maiden. The one thing I haven't a definitive answer on is if the stock BEC "needs" to be replaced. I agree the wiring is a bit thin for the length of the runs, so heavier gauge wiring is recommend.
                    So the question is, keep the stock BEC or replace it? If replace, what minimum amp rating?

Comment

• Originally posted by Flash Jorden View Post
                      Hey guys, I've finally gotten around to assembling my Mig-29. Mine was shipped shortly after the elevator servo upgrade, so I have them and the solid pushrods. I've read a good number of posts about mods/changes to make to the plane prior to maiden. The one thing I haven't a definitive answer on is if the stock BEC "needs" to be replaced. I agree the wiring is a bit thin for the length of the runs, so heavier gauge wiring is recommend.
                      So the question is, keep the stock BEC or replace it? If replace, what minimum amp rating?
                      I installed the Castle 20 amp BEC pro. Works great! Most left the stock BEC in and haven't heard of any problems though. I used the Pro Modeler servos for the elevators (even though I got the upgraded equipment) and Hangar Nine Titanium pushrods (the upgraded Freewing pushrods still bend-trust me on that, but better than what it comes with) and installed the TV nozzles as well, so wanted to use the 20 amp BEC just to be safe. If you can, locate all electronics under the rear battery tray (including the RX and I used a 10 channel Spektrum AS3X and a Hobby Eagle gyro for the TV nozzles). Then installed the BEC in the raised center, with the 2nd battery all the way in the nose, along with a satellite remote RX. Makes for a nice clean setup and was still able to balance it 15mm behind the book CG with either 2 SMC 5300's or 2 SMC 6200's.
                      Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                      Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• I still have the stock BEC in mine. I agree with Hugh though...

Comment

• Hi FlashJ,

I flew several thousand flights with the stock BEC. No issues, but I did not have the added electrical load of the TV. Don’t fly without TV….I did fly without TV and eventually crashed mine.

-GG

Comment

• After 2000+ flights though, you legend!

Comment

• Legends die hard when they do die. SPLAT!

Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post
                                Hi FlashJ,

I flew several thousand flights with the stock BEC. No issues, but I did not have the added electrical load of the TV. Don’t fly without TV….I did fly without TV and eventually crashed mine.

-GG
                                Oh man, I wasn't planning on adding TV. I'll try my hand without it. Thanks for the heads up!

Comment

• Do be very careful if you fly without TVs. The MiG WILL get into alpha lock and it's not easy to get out. Read the threads here and on RCG.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

I installed the Castle 20 amp BEC pro. Works great! Most left the stock BEC in and haven't heard of any problems though. I used the Pro Modeler servos for the elevators (even though I got the upgraded equipment) and Hangar Nine Titanium pushrods (the upgraded Freewing pushrods still bend-trust me on that, but better than what it comes with) and installed the TV nozzles as well, so wanted to use the 20 amp BEC just to be safe. If you can, locate all electronics under the rear battery tray (including the RX and I used a 10 channel Spektrum AS3X and a Hobby Eagle gyro for the TV nozzles). Then installed the BEC in the raised center, with the 2nd battery all the way in the nose, along with a satellite remote RX. Makes for a nice clean setup and was still able to balance it 15mm behind the book CG with either 2 SMC 5300's or 2 SMC 6200's.
                                    Oh wow, I wouldn't have thought those pushrods would still bend. They seemed plenty stiff when I tried flexing them by hand. In any case, Titanium pushrods and heavy duty pushrod ends/swivels are on the way. So for the BEC I have a couple of options. 1.) I have an identical BEC on hand as the stock one. I can add it to the other pair of battery leads to add redundancy to the receiver, like having a dual receiver battery setup, or 2.) I have a 10Amp and an 18Amp BEC on hand, use one of those instead.

Comment

• Two switching BECs should not be used in parallel. Many have used the upgraded pushrods successfully. If you want to get more into the stab setup the screws holding the elevator horns on are very short and it's a good idea to replace them with the same type but slightly longer, glue the horn down while you are at it. I bypassed the MCBe for most flight controls. I also used a 12ch receiver and did separate the rudders and steering (enabled rudder air brakes), separate hor stabs for tailerons, separate ailerons for crow and full span flaps, separate flaps for full span ailerons. Though I have all that programmed I really use the tailerons and crow with rudder air brakes..

There is a lot of info in these threads.

Really look at putting the TVs on it. Even if you don't do it for the performance increase it helps balance the plane and takes some of the work load off the stabs.

Comment

Do be very careful if you fly without TVs. The MiG WILL get into alpha lock and it's not easy to get out. Read the threads here and on RCG.
                                        Don't try to power out of a high alpha situation...just makes it worse. Cut the throttle to idle and if you have enough altitude the nose will fall through and you can then add power and get back to level flight.

If you don't have enough altitude you get this...

Comment

Do be very careful if you fly without TVs. The MiG WILL get into alpha lock and it's not easy to get out. Read the threads here and on RCG.
                                          Oh I've been reading and reading on both sites. With a combined 820 pages of posts, it's daunting ... but hey, how do you eat an elephant...? One bite at a time....

Comment

Working...
                                          X