Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm thinkin I would keep it semi-simple and do a copy of The Kingsman jet.
    Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

• Is it march yet?

Comment

• xviper I have ordered the Avain 60 amp esc as well. Have you had a chance to put them in your plane yet? I am just waiting on my plane to come from rc castle its been shipped and just waiting. Just wondering if any modifications are needed to install the esc?

Comment

• Originally posted by flyboy787 View Post
          xviper I have ordered the Avain 60 amp esc as well. Have you had a chance to put them in your plane yet? I am just waiting on my plane to come from rc castle its been shipped and just waiting. Just wondering if any modifications are needed to install the esc?
          Not yet. Tonite, I was going to first test the stock fans and ESCs just to make sure they work. Then I'll see about installing the Avian's and getting the reverse working. Other things got me distracted and the evening is disappearing fast. Maybe tomorrow, I'll start that phase of the build.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
            Not yet. Tonite, I was going to first test the stock fans and ESCs just to make sure they work. Then I'll see about installing the Avian's and getting the reverse working. Other things got me distracted and the evening is disappearing fast. Maybe tomorrow, I'll start that phase of the build.
            On an amusing note, just on the heels of Horizon telling me that twin reversing wasn't possible despite my evidence to the contrary, they announced a v2 64mm A10 with reversing. Knuckleheads.

I suspect you will need to extend the wires on your Avians. Almost certainly the wires to the battery,.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gilatrout View Post

On an amusing note, just on the heels of Horizon telling me that twin reversing wasn't possible despite my evidence to the contrary, they announced a v2 64mm A10 with reversing. Knuckleheads.

I suspect you will need to extend the wires on your Avians. Almost certainly the wires to the battery,.
              No kidding! They shot themselves in the foot with that one.
              I haven’t unraveled all the wiring in the tail section. I’m hoping they are Y extensions but if not, I may just cut the existing wires and use them as extensions for the Avians.

Comment

• Did some testing and then did the swap to the Avian ESCs this morning. Here are some pictures .....................................

Here's what it all looks like when yanked out of the plane:
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4021.JPG
Views:	677
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	335358

Close up comparing the sizes of the ESCs:

Name:	IMG_4022.JPG
Views:	610
Size:	180.1 KB
ID:	335359

Avians installed in the plane:

Name:	IMG_4023.JPG
Views:	592
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	335360Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4024.JPG
Views:	613
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	335361

I plugged everything in and it all works like a charm. Thrust reverse works as was expected. However, as mentioned before, power lead from one of the ESCs had to be removed. With both hooked up, both ESCs just kept beeping and couldn't initialize (these things are too smart). I did the throttle calibration and programmed reverse one ESC at a time. When done, disabled one power lead, hooked it all together and BINGO! Now, I just need to make up my own Y to tie the two ESC battery cables together. I'll use the stock wires to make it. Rather than cutting off the IC5s, I'll solder a couple of EC5s to plug into the ICs. A couple of extensions for the throttle cables was all that was needed, using the stock Y. I think this thing is going to be a blast with thrust reverse.

Next: Minwax treatment.

Comment

• This is a cool idea only if they had a 60 amp one.

The Avian Dual 40 Amp Brushless Smart ESC, 3S - 6S by Spektrum is a quality built remote controlled airplane accessory. See all our RC product options online at Horizon Hobby!

Comment

• Originally posted by flyboy787 View Post
                    This is a cool idea only if they had a 60 amp one.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...PMXAE1240.html
                    I'm sure in time, it'll come along. As has been already mentioned, this dual 40A is out of their latest V2 64mm A-10

It's basically two ESCs stacked one on top of another but with one BEC. If a 60A did come along, it would possibly be too thick to go into the space where the ESCs live in the PJ. Foam would have to be removed.

Comment

• Freewing PJ-50 First flight and impressions from Joe Kirton. Joe is president of the Remote Possibilities flying club in beautiful St George UT.

Comment

• Originally posted by JLambCWU View Post

Freewing PJ-50 First flight and impressions from Joe Kirton. Joe is president of the Remote Possibilities flying club in beautiful St George UT.

Comment

• I need a close up pic of the color blue that is the striping on the aircraft. Going to make the vertical stab and winglets the same blue color. Can someone get me a close up pic please?

Comment

• I don't have the two planes together, but I think it's the same blue that came on the AL-37.

Name:	IMG_4036.JPG
Views:	546
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	335622

Comment

I don't have the two planes together, but I think it's the same blue that came on the AL-37.

Name:	IMG_4036.JPG
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	335622
                              Thank you

Comment

• Got it all done. Encountered a glitch in making the dual ESCs go into reverse thrust. It worked perfectly on the bench before the plane was put together but once I got it together, I could not make both engines go into reverse. Only one engine would go into reverse at a time. When both motors were hooked up, they only went forward. I tried everything I could think of to no avail. Then I decided that when the two ESC signal wires were Y'd together, somehow the reverse signal was either not strong enough or got scrambled. So I went and got a 4-channel smart RX and hooked up only one ESC to it, leaving the other RX as it was. Powered the second RX via the ESC BEC. The first RX has the red wire yanked out and is using the external BEC that came with the PJ. Bound it up, did throttle calibration, hooked both RXs to power and BINGO, it worked like it was supposed to. I didn't even have to do the Avian thrust reverse programming from the new RX as it remembered it from being done with the first RX. The first RX didn't have to be re-bound either. It also remembered.

Name:	IMG_4037.JPG
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	335702

Looking at the PJ and then the AL-37, I think the AL should have been this size. The PJ is big but not too big.

Comment

• Question for those that have the PJ50T....the product material says that it has 11 LEDs, I can only figure out 9. Three landing lights, four at the wing tips, one up on the tail, and one red strobe between the main gear. Where are the other two?

Comment

• Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
                                    Question for those that have the PJ50T....the product material says that it has 11 LEDs, I can only figure out 9. Three landing lights, four at the wing tips, one up on the tail, and one red strobe between the main gear. Where are the other two?
                                    Just checked. I can only see 9. And one of the outside flashing wingtip lights is already dead. I'll have to see if I have one from an old dead plane or just leave it.

Comment

• Update on the "dead" wingtip light. It wasn't dead. I had it plugged into the wrong pins on the blue box. Needed a magnifying glass to read the small print on the side of the box. All works well now.

Comment

Just checked. I can only see 9. And one of the outside flashing wingtip lights is already dead. I'll have to see if I have one from an old dead plane or just leave it.
                                        Glad to hear that the LED was OK.

Would you mind taking a measurement of the Freewing logo on the tail? Want to find out how best to cover it with another graphic. Thanks.

Comment

• For you lucky guys that got the PJ already can you anyone give me the O.D. measurements on the main wheels?

Want to see if any of my electric brakes are going to fit it.

Thanks,

Joe

Comment

Working...
                                          X