Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post

Glad to hear that the LED was OK.

Would you mind taking a measurement of the Freewing logo on the tail? Want to find out how best to cover it with another graphic. Thanks.
    The logo appears to be about 51mm X 13mm.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4039.JPG
Views:	603
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	335969Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4040.JPG
Views:	598
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	335970

Comment

• Originally posted by avanti127 View Post
      For you lucky guys that got the PJ already can you anyone give me the O.D. measurements on the main wheels?

Want to see if any of my electric brakes are going to fit it.

Thanks,

Joe
      The OD of one of the main wheels is about 64mm. Call it 65mm and you'll be good.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4041.JPG Views:	0 Size:	95.8 KB ID:	335972

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
        The OD of one of the main wheels is about 64mm. Call it 65mm and you'll be good.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_4041.JPG Views:	0 Size:	95.8 KB ID:	335972
        Thank you so much. I do have a few sets of 65mm so that is awesome. Now I just need to find a pair of AeroStar reversing ESC's.... Come on HK!!!

Comment

Thank you so much. I do have a few sets of 65mm so that is awesome. Now I just need to find a pair of AeroStar reversing ESC's.... Come on HK!!!
          Check out the HobbyWing. HobbyKing's been out of stock for ages.

Comment

• deleted cross postings

Comment

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_4041.JPG Views:	0 Size:	95.8 KB ID:	335972
              Thanks for posting pics of the main wheels/tires. It appears that the PJ50 Main tires are the same exact wheel as the Freewing Avanti 80mm EDF jet Nose tire, which are about 65mm in diameter. On the spare parts page of the PJ50 product page on Motion RC's website, the Main tires of the PJ50 is listed as using the Avanti 70mm diameter Main tires, which appears to be incorrect (hopefully this helps them identify the problem and fix it easily on their website). The difference in the Avanti wheels, Mains versus Nose, is also identified by the spokes, since the Main wheels have 8 spokes and the Nose wheel has 6 spokes (like the PJ50 mains).

Comment

• I just went back and double checked the main wheel OD with the retracts deployed. I couldn't get the calipers far enough in to take into account the slight tire bulge in the center. Well, the tires are exactly 65mm.

Comment

• Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post
                  Posting here to reach a more general audience.

My main transmitter is in the shop, but today was such a beautiful day that I drug out my old 2016 vintage birds (and older radio equipment, of course) to get some flying in.

While the radio gear is about 2015/2016, it is FHSS by design.

My question is posed from what I experienced at the flying field today. There is a cell phone tower about 2000 ft west of my flying position (as measured on Google Earth). When I fly west of my ground position, I narrow the distance to about 1,300 ft. One can assume 5G signals are being transmitted. Note: This is the first time I have flown at this location since 5G was turned on.

Twice today when I was west and near the cell tower, I lost control…total no response. The airplane was heading south and in descent from about 400 ft up. Once the airplane got about 100 feet in altitude and further south, control returned. I was able to complete the flight normally. Again, this happened twice and roughly in the same location. So, I decided to stay closer when west of my location and also flew most of the time to the NW, N, and NE of my location for the rest of the afternoon. Staying away from the cell tower prevented any further loss of control events. I flew two different aircraft today, but only one experienced the loss of control event (twice). The other plane…I kept it away from the “bad” area.

Is this a symptom of 5G? Are we going to start seeing loss of control events when flying near cell towers, now? Thoughts/Comments? Have any of you seen this?

-GG
                  All the cross posting is stupid. Now all the responses and information will be scattered and useless because of it.

Delete the cross posts and create a new thread

Comment

• My bad...an attempt to get the precaution out to more folks. Thanks for the guidance.

I have deleted all that I could. However, some would not accept the edit. I will leave the one in the Radios and Receivers thread.

-GG

Comment

• Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post
                      My bad...an attempt to get the precaution out to more folks. Thanks for the guidance.

I have deleted all that I could. However, some would not accept the edit. I will leave the one in the Radios and Receivers thread.

-GG
                      I think that's where it should have gone all along. Your situation with your "dead zone" may have been unique to your flying site as my dead zone to mine. I highly doubt that the new 5G network will provide widespread RC radio disturbances everywhere. Perhaps a precautionary warning to your own club members at that site would be more appropriate just as it was for me at my location.
                      If I have any further comments, I'll take it to the radio thread.

Comment

• I didn't take GG's post as a precaution, more of a "did this cause the issue" question...

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                          I didn't take GG's post as a precaution, more of a "did this cause the issue" question...
                          I talked to a couple of retired Sandia Labs engineers that worked on radars and other stuff and they said it was extremely unlikely that 5G would cause interference with rc on 2.4.

The biggest concern is how much the receivers can discriminate frequencies. The better the receiver is at ignoring frequencies not used in RC, the less likely that there could be noise affecting the signal.

Unfortunately these aspects of the technology are black boxes and not generally available to us to know.

So the short answer is for now, 5G is.far enough away from RC frequencies that it is not likely to have an effect on us.

Comment

• Knowing RF , I think there is a very good chance it'll interfere especially if you get close to the towers. There's a lot going on there plus side bands and other possible interference. Doesn't take much to play heck with our 500mW/ 1W output signals...

Comment

• This is a job for Mythbusters.

Comment

• Weather finally cooperated and maidened my PJ this morning. This plane is fantastic! It's stable, fast (faster than most of the jets I have and faster than it has any right to be for its size) and has amazing presence in the air, even in totally stock livery and in spite of the fact that it's not a military jet. Here's an Iphone video ........................ Dual Avian 60A ESCs, dual Spektrum smart RXs, SAFE select, Thrust Reversing, flown on 6000mah, 6s HRB. It doesn't exhibit the tail waggle that the stabilized AL-37 has.

Comment

Weather finally cooperated and maidened my PJ this morning. This plane is fantastic! It's stable, fast (faster than most of the jets I have and faster than it has any right to be for its size) and has amazing presence in the air, even in totally stock livery and in spite of the fact that it's not a military jet. Here's an Iphone video ........................ Dual Avian 60A ESCs, dual Spektrum smart RXs, SAFE select, Thrust Reversing, flown on 6000mah, 6s HRB. It doesn't exhibit the tail waggle that the stabilized AL-37 has.

Great flight and I can't wait to get mine. So you were able to get the Avian ESC's to work together without issues. Also, looks like your not far from a full scale airport as I saw a jet taking off from the left side of the runway.

Comment

Great flight and I can't wait to get mine. So you were able to get the Avian ESC's to work together without issues. Also, looks like your not far from a full scale airport as I saw a jet taking off from the left side of the runway.
                                    Yes, our field is about 5 miles away from the international airport. That airliner was a WestJet 737, which my AL37 is liveried after. I thought for a split second, I was going to have a mid-air with another RC plane.
                                    The dual thrust reverse was not without a small complication. When trying to run both ESCs on reverse from the same RX, it did not activate. The motors would only go forward. I believe the reverse signal going through a feedback via the "ghost" 7th channel either wasn't strong enough or it got scrambled when split. Putting one of the ESCs/motors on a separate smart RX resolved it. The second RX is an AR410 (4-ch). It has only the throttle lead plugged into it. Programming reverse must be done individually (one RX at a time).

Comment

Weather finally cooperated and maidened my PJ this morning. This plane is fantastic! It's stable, fast (faster than most of the jets I have and faster than it has any right to be for its size) and has amazing presence in the air, even in totally stock livery and in spite of the fact that it's not a military jet. Here's an Iphone video ........................ Dual Avian 60A ESCs, dual Spektrum smart RXs, SAFE select, Thrust Reversing, flown on 6000mah, 6s HRB. It doesn't exhibit the tail waggle that the stabilized AL-37 has.

Nice flight. Really great jet. No snow out there? We got it all here. An "Alberta Clipper" came through....

Comment

• Originally posted by AirHead View Post

Nice flight. Really great jet. No snow out there? We got it all here. An "Alberta Clipper" came through....
                                        We've hit a warm spell and only small patches of snow/ice remain in the more shaded areas. Snow could return Monday, Tuesday but only slight chance. It's predicted that we won't get colder than single negative digits overnight for the rest of this month. Next month however, is a little colder for the first week, then quite tolerable. It's almost like winter is nearly over but the weather guys could be screwing with us.

Comment

• xviper outstanding flight, nice touch and go and buttery smooth landing. I have a feeling you'll be flying this one a lot. Looked like you were already more than comfortable with her in just the first flight, imaging what you'll be saying about it after a bunch more! Looks like FW's got another winner!
                                          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                          Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

Working...
                                          X