• Show
Clear All

• Click image for larger version

Name:	paint-29.JPG
Views:	360
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	112444
    Originally posted by ElCid View Post
    Good Morning Fellow A-10's . I am about to start painting my a-10 and i wanted to know if any of you used a filler to smooth out the foam before you laid down your paint? I am using some Hobbylite filler to get rid of some of the more obvious molding issues (one nacelle was a bit rough) with good results. i just wanted to see if anyone else is doing the same.
    I was like you and wanted to address some of the more obvious places, especially the leading edges of the nacelles. I also spent a lot of time getting the seams out of the ordinance. I used the exact same stuff as you have and it worked very well. Here are some shots of before and after. Lots of sanding! Rob Click image for larger version

Name:	paint 6.JPG
Views:	368
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	112440Click image for larger version

Name:	paint 9.JPG
Views:	389
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	112441Click image for larger version

Name:	ordinance-4.JPG
Views:	363
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	112442Click image for larger version

Name:	paint-30.JPG
Views:	419
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	112443

Comment

• missed it myself..that sucks

Originally posted by Sky Wolf View Post

You weren't lyin! I missed it already. Wow, either someone ordered more than they needed, or enough weren't shipped. Dang it!!
      www.TSHobbies.com
      Hobby Paint racks and acrylic display stands for collectibles.

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post

Welcome to the squawk Jim, wow not only do we have guys who flew the A-10 and serviced the A-10 and loaded it with ammo and ordinance but now we have a member who helped build it.:Cool: Truly a masterpiece of the most bang for the buck using preexisting parts like the nose gear and different riveting solutions etc. and the titanium tub for the pilot and on and on.Talk about the full meal deal!!!
        Brad
        Hey Brad! I am soooo happy to have joined this thread. In reading through the posts, you guys are awesome with the information you are sharing. And...I received my A-10 TODAY! I am finishing up another project (Top Flite Contender that I will be flying at Vintage RC Society events this year - it is the 2018 Theme Plane), and will roll right into the A-10 in a week or so. Yes, I was fortunate to begin my career building the A-10. The assembly line where I worked on the A-10 was in the exact same floor space that P-47s rolled off the factory floor back in WWII era! Lots of history in the building, but unfortunately, it was torn down in the late 1990s and a movie-plex sits in its place today. Brought a tear to my eye to see the building come down. Anyway, thank you for the shout out, and look forward to reading (and learning) a bunch more. PS: The titanium tub you mentioned for the pilot was awesome protection for our pilots! I spent most of my career at Fairchild building the A-10 nacelles and parts of the wing. Great memories! Take care.

Jim

Comment

Welcome to the squawk Jim, wow not only do we have guys who flew the A-10 and serviced the A-10 and loaded it with ammo and ordinance but now we have a member who helped build it.:Cool: Truly a masterpiece of the most bang for the buck using preexisting parts like the nose gear and different riveting solutions etc. and the titanium tub for the pilot and on and on.Talk about the full meal deal!!!
          Brad
          Brad, et al:

Thought you might enjoy a picture of my team building A-10s at Fairchild Republic...circa 1979. I'm the guy on the top-right of the team picture. You will notice the A-10 fuselage at the top of the picture, and the A-10 nacelles on the left side of the picture. Hard to believe this picture is almost 40 years old (no comments on the hairstyle guys...this was the 70s ;)) Enjoy.

Jim

Comment

• Very cool. Hagerstown? I lived in Frederick for a few years . But after they shut down production.
            Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
            Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
            I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

• Originally posted by dahawk View Post
              Very cool. Hagerstown? I lived in Frederick for a few years . But after they shut down production.
              Dahawk - actually Farmingdale NY. From there, the A-10s went to Hagerstown for final assembly. Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimrc73 View Post

Brad, et al:

Thought you might enjoy a picture of my team building A-10s at Fairchild Republic...circa 1979. I'm the guy on the top-right of the team picture. You will notice the A-10 fuselage at the top of the picture, and the A-10 nacelles on the left side of the picture. Hard to believe this picture is almost 40 years old (no comments on the hairstyle guys...this was the 70s ;)) Enjoy.

Jim
                Cool pic. I bet it brings it all back. I like the babe ... no I dont mean the A-10:)

Comment

• Look what just flew over my house today!! You can'’t make this up - two full scale A-10s landing at Morgantown. Barely was able to get my phone out for a picture of the second one landing. I’'m telling you - it’'s a SIGN for me to start building :)

Comment

Brad, et al:

Jim
                    Really great picture. You must be close to my age group. I will be 69 in four months.:Scared:
                    Brad

Comment

• Hi everyone..quick question ordering some new decals for the A10. Going to use Callie Graphics and was just wondering what scale to use. Callie has very sizes.

Cheers

Comment

• Originally posted by brrzee View Post
                        Hi everyone..quick question ordering some new decals for the A10. Going to use Callie Graphics and was just wondering what scale to use. Callie has very sizes.

Cheers
                        1/10
                        TiredIron Aviation
                        Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Really great picture. You must be close to my age group. I will be 69 in four months.:Scared:
                          Brad
                          Brad, I was actually 19 when that was taken (I know, I've always been told I look older than my actual age :Silly:), so 58 it is for me. BUT, we are in the same age group anyway and having a blast flying our models. Happy Early Birthday to you - it's not the number....it's the fun we have!! Take care young man!:Cake:

Regards,
                          Jim :a10

Comment

• Ordered new wing set for A10. Had an awful landing and bent a wing. Just wondering if anyone has purcharsed new wings and how the electronic installation process was in them. Seems pretty straight forward but any issues, tips etc are appreciated.

Cheers

Comment

Brad, et al:

Jim
                              What a "COOL" pic! Man, you were a bid dude, compared to everyone else in the pic. Bet they used you to move all the heavy stuff! :)

Thanks for sharing the pic!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sky Wolf View Post

What a "COOL" pic! Man, you were a bid dude, compared to everyone else in the pic. Bet they used you to move all the heavy stuff! :)

Thanks for sharing the pic!
                                Sky Wolf - I thought the same when I found the picture recently in my "files" (aka: box of old stuff), but actually, that picture is misleading. I was 6 foot then (shrunk an inch or so since then), and even though the entire back row of that picture is standing on the first step of a work stand for the picture, it is true that the rest of the folks on that row were much shorter. But, you are right - I did have to move all the heavy stuff back then :Sweating:. Thanks for your post!

Regards,
                                Jim

Comment

• What's with the guy in the middle with no shirt? Not many places you can go to work dressed like that these days. LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
                                    What's with the guy in the middle with no shirt? Not many places you can go to work dressed like that these days. LOL
                                    LOLSteve your eyes must be strained making all those bombs for the A-4! Everbodies wearing shirts, at least on my computer! :Confused:

Comment

• Maybe a tank top but very hard to tell on my phone. Looks like he is not wearing a shirt. LOL

Comment

• Hopefully this gear will work better, waiting on the weather:Cool:

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
                                          Maybe a tank top but very hard to tell on my phone. Looks like he is not wearing a shirt. LOL
                                          Let's not spoil it for the ladies. But he's not topless. He's just so pale, it's hard to tell but you can see the lump his shirt makes on his left shoulder. The mullet hides the right shoulder. If he is topless, he's got no nipples or belly button. :Devil:

Comment

Working...
                                          X