X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dahawk View Post
    Grass, albeit fairly short grass. But in the prevailing summer winds, usually a crosswind, I need to clear a set of tall trees obstructing the straight in approach path to runway 090. Sometimes I can do a short final in front of the tree line but if we're getting "rollers" coming off the trees, it can be a bit harrowing.
    Great.
    Do you felt any "over stress" in the mains after you change the position (MOD)? I made the MOD yesterday also but i'm concerned about the lack of suspension for grass operation.
    Thank you.
    Cheers

Comment

• Originally posted by themudduck View Post
      Hey, on the subject of making nice landings... I thought I would shamelessly show off a landing from yesterday, this is a quick 14-second video. This is the original landing gear, no mods. There was practically no wind, perhaps 2-3 mph down the runway. Unfortunately I didn't do much of a flare, but the point is that if you let it slow down on final approach (full flaps), it will land like a feather. Bouncing back into the air isn't an issue when it touches down like this.

You can hear that I kept a bit of throttle in, its not dead stick.

Approach and landing

A very short clip showing my flap settings.
      Excellent job - textbook example.

Another one, for those who care:

Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• Originally posted by janmb View Post

https://youtu.be/gYwqwoRd-ag?t=12m33s
        Beautiful landing!

Comment

• Thanks for the video guys...i´m seeing all many times.

Below is a short video from my maiden flight...on 1m05s i start my landing procedure...a bit too fast...after this video i recorded more 25 flights with 1 dead bounce.

I´ll practice more but must be very careful...this planes in my country cost around USD 1500 (customs taxes) each and usually the companies don´t ship (wen they do, it takes more than 3 months)...jealousy about you guys that can have another A-10 for USD 580 and after one week after order, i´ll definitly fly much, much more.

Cheers and safe flights to all

Comment

• Originally posted by janmb View Post

https://youtu.be/gYwqwoRd-ag?t=12m33s
            Yes yes yes, exactly what I'm talking about. It does take that "touch" to get it right, but when you land it like this there's no problem with the landing gear. Beautiful.
            Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Originally posted by RAPHAEL_CINTRA View Post
              Thanks for the video guys...i´m seeing all many times.

Below is a short video from my maiden flight...on 1m05s i start my landing procedure...a bit too fast...after this video i recorded more 25 flights with 1 dead bounce.

I´ll practice more but must be very careful...this planes in my country cost around USD 1500 (customs taxes) each and usually the companies don´t ship (wen they do, it takes more than 3 months)...jealousy about you guys that can have another A-10 for USD 580 and after one week after order, i´ll definitly fly much, much more.

Super nice job Raphael, I'm very impressed. You did an excellent job on your maiden flight, and that was a perfect landing! And what a beautiful flying field you have, I love the view!
              Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Well done Raphael! I agree, that is a beautiful field with a gorgeous view...kind of reminds me of Oregon! I have loved hearing your analytical thought process and appreciate your attention to detail. It clearly paid off with a great maiden...enjoy your A-10 my friend! Rob

Comment

• Huge congrats Raphael! Very nice maiden flight.

Comment

• Excellent job! Looked perfect from rollout to landing

Comment

Must be possibly the best maiden I've seen on this model to date.

And feels so good to see pilots who use their throttle on landing - far too many don't. Well done!
                      Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

Great job.

Mike
                        \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

• Thank you for the words guys! It brings me more confidence...really thanks.

Despite some punctual dificulties we have in our country for sure the landscapes/nature is gorgeous...this field has 2 rwy of 200m (meters) and 110m thus we can avoid the cross winds...the grass is very well care and the club is great, you can easily spend the whole day with your familiy and friends (good food and beer)...by the way, you guys are very welcome to pay a visit some day :-).

Now i´ll return to the videos sent here in order to learn more.

Cheers and safe flights to all.

Comment

• TRAILING LINK NOSE GEAR FOR FREEWING A-10

I would like to find a trailing link nose gear strut for my Freewing (FW) A-10.

First of all, for purposes of this post, I would like to use the following definitions:
                            An "oleo" strut is one like the stock nose gear on the FW A-10. This means that when it gets a force from below, the strut compresses and then expands when the force goes away. If it gets a force from the front, there is no shock absorbing.
                            A "drag-link" is one where the wheel is typically on a pivot, so that if it gets a force from below, the wheel pivots back and up, thus giving a form of shock absorbing. If it gets a force from the front, the same thing happens. The wheel goes back and up, thus giving a from of shock absorbing.
                            I have tried to find the true definitions of "oleo" and "drag-link" in other world applications, and I think our modelling world definitions are not quite correct. But, again, for this discussion, please use these definitions - even if you think they are wrong.

The stock nose gear strut on the FW A-10 is a typical "oleo". I have attached photos of a typical "drag link". This "drag-link" is a strut available from HobbyKing that is too small for use on the FW A-10.

Typically, we like "oleo" because it absorbs the shock of a drop in on landing, and we like "drag-link" because, in addition to absorbing shocks from below, it will also absorb a shock when we hit a bump (like on a grass field, or a lip on the edge of a runway). The disadvantage to the "drag-link" is that it doesn't look very scale.

I fly on a combo grass/asphalt field where the asphalt is short so we typically land a little short of the asphalt on grass or we run off the asphalt into grass. We also have a small lip on each end of the asphalt part of the runway. And the grass has some bumps.

When Freewing/Motion added an upgrade to the A-10 that was a listed as a "trailing link" I purchased one. When I got the upgrade nose gear, I tested it for absorbing forces from below and in front. The result is that it absorbs forces from below just fine like an "oleo", but when it has a force from the front, the inner post is forced back against the back of the outer strut and it locks up tighter than a drum - with no movement at all. The bottom line is that if you want a strut that will absorb shocks from the front, this strut doesn't work.

Anyway, I am still looking for a "trailing link" strut like the one in the photos, but big enough for my FW A-10. Does anyone know where I can get such a strut? I don't care about the scale look.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000706.JPG
Views:	280
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	131854Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000707.JPG
Views:	281
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	131855

Thanks,
                            BCRC

Comment

• Grats Raphael, nice maiden mate.

Comment

• Raphael,
                                Your field sounds great ! Brazil is on my bucket list. And beer? Wow! You folks are having fun and involving the family to make it a day. Most here abide by the 8 hour bottle to throttle rule. Lol

Hawk
                                Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
                                Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
                                I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

• Model Sounds Inc sound system and 2 exciter speakers installed. This is a great flying EDF. Close up view of the GAU-30 that I did.

Comment

• Man if you have the sound system you gotta add the BBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRT! :) the jet engine sound was great though.

Comment

• Originally posted by ColtPilot View Post
                                      https://photos.app.goo.gl/xoRHFy504SbqoOGz1
                                      Model Sounds Inc sound system and 2 exciter speakers installed. This is a great flying EDF. Close up view of the GAU-30 that I did.
                                      Man that sounds awesome! Great flying!

Comment

• Happy Brrrrtttday A-10! 48 years young and still going strong! First flight on May 10, 1972.
                                        Pat

Comment

• Yes indeed!

Comment

Working...
                                          X