Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ouch, sorry to see that. Mines 8S and has hundreds of flights without issue (knock on wood).

Comment

• My Avanti S ready for Swiss Callie Graphics.

Comment

• I braved the heat and went out this afternoon to fly my Avanti for the second time. I put three flights on it and I'd say it's probably the best flying EDF Jet available. I thought the F-4 was great but this thing has all the good of the F-4 with no bad tendencies. I could easily see this as a turbine K30 plane. If batteries would just double their storage, I'd sell my turbines Just love it

Comment

• Try the F-86, best military EDF.

Comment

• I just swapped in the inrunner from the new FMS Futura V2 in this jet and my L-39 Albatross. I haven't flown the Avanti S yet with the new motor, but in the L-39, there was a slight perceivable increase in top speed. Acceleration was noticeably better and the sound at max throttle was more like a screaming banshee.

PS. As much as the Futura V2 is blindingly fast, there's just something about the way it looks that doesn't do anything for me. I know, they look very similar but I much prefer the looks of the Avanti S.

Comment

• bummer on the loss, mine has glued plastic hinges in bedded, I had heard someone else say their hinge was "loose". Love mine, 100 flights or so and 1 ale servo got buzzy near center, most everything else is wearing very well, retracts are incredibly robust and it cannot be over stated stated , fly's amazing.
              rc flyin addict

Comment

• I didn’t realize the size of the Avanti compared to the Havoc and Futura. I found this pic on FB and it was surprising how big it is. They’re converting the Havoc Xe to a turbine as fast as they can so I guess the Avanti would be a no brainer
                Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                  I just swapped in the inrunner from the new FMS Futura V2 in this jet and my L-39 Albatross. I haven't flown the Avanti S yet with the new motor, but in the L-39, there was a slight perceivable increase in top speed. Acceleration was noticeably better and the sound at max throttle was more like a screaming banshee.

PS. As much as the Futura V2 is blindingly fast, there's just something about the way it looks that doesn't do anything for me. I know, they look very similar but I much prefer the looks of the Avanti S.
                  I agree that the Avanti is a great jet and good looking jet. I sold my 6s to my friend and got another with 8s and a Jetfan set up. It’s fast, when we fly together it’s about 15mph faster at least. Lots of fun
                  Eventually Gravity Always Wins

Comment

• Man, I was on a roll today!!:Cool::Cool:
                    Got the Avanti out to the field and put three flights on her, all perfect!!!
                    Skillset must have went up over the winter 'cause she was no trouble landing on any flight.

Gotta love it!!

Grossman56
                    Team Gross!

Comment

• So, with all this talk about inrunners, what would be recommended for the Avanti and what would it take to install it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Patrnflyr View Post
                        So, with all this talk about inrunners, what would be recommended for the Avanti and what would it take to install it?
                        Look at my post #2505 above. I don't know about "recommended" as each person will have a different opinion of what they think will work. As for what's needed to do this, the FMS inrunner is slightly bigger in diameter by about 2mm and is also slightly longer. Some foam removal will be necessary to make it fit and have the hatch close flush. I'll test it out tomorrow. I put the same inrunner into my L-39 Albatros and my impressions are in that thread.

Comment

• HI everyone. Finally got to maiden my Red Avanti today! Sorry that there are no aerial shots, as I was by myself and it would have been a challenge to take pictures while flying ;). I'll provide some the next time I fly. Anyway, AWESOME airplane! I only needed two clicks of right aileron trim. Used about 10% flaps on takeoff, and it felt like I didn't really need any. Full flaps on landing and it settled in like a sport trainer. I can't wait to go back out to the field. Now my Freewing A-10 has a little brother in the hangar. Enjoy everyone - this is a great flying EDF Jet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimrc73 View Post
                            HI everyone. Finally got to maiden my Red Avanti today! Sorry that there are no aerial shots, as I was by myself and it would have been a challenge to take pictures while flying ;). I'll provide some the next time I fly. Anyway, AWESOME airplane! I only needed two clicks of right aileron trim. Used about 10% flaps on takeoff, and it felt like I didn't really need any. Full flaps on landing and it settled in like a sport trainer. I can't wait to go back out to the field. Now my Freewing A-10 has a little brother in the hangar. Enjoy everyone - this is a great flying EDF Jet.
                            Nice ! .. What are you using for battery ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Hemidoo View Post

Nice ! .. What are you using for battery ?
                              Thank you! I am using an Admiral 5000 in the Avanti. Here is a picture of it, as well as a picture of it in the aircraft where you can see it sits about 7/8" aft of the plywood tray. I glued some balsa "stops" on the forward and aft side of the battery so it is mounted in the same spot each time. Hope this helps! Regards, Jim. Click image for larger version  Name:	Battery1.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	50.3 KB ID:	203348Click image for larger version  Name:	Battery 2 - Aft pic.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	54.2 KB ID:	203349

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimrc73 View Post

Thank you! I am using an Admiral 5000 in the Avanti. Here is a picture of it, as well as a picture of it in the aircraft where you can see it sits about 7/8" aft of the plywood tray. I glued some balsa "stops" on the forward and aft side of the battery so it is mounted in the same spot each time. Hope this helps! Regards, Jim. Click image for larger version Name:	Battery1.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	50.3 KB ID:	203348Click image for larger version Name:	Battery 2 - Aft pic.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	54.2 KB ID:	203349
                                Thanks ! In have 2 5000's and 2 4000's for my Avanti ... Admirals

Comment

• Hi everyone, got my Avanti S red version earlier this week and couldn't resist to fly it. So maiden happened this afternoon. It was the first time I was flying a jet and this one is easy. I'm flying with more dual rate than mentioned in the manual and this is already much engouh for me.
                                  First flight was used to trim a bit the plane and check how it was behaving :Sweating:. Suddenly, when I was preparing my approach for landing, the engine shut off. "Damn'.... what's wrong again?" was I thinking, (did I mention that last week I wanted to maiden my Freewing Mirage and crashed at take off? :) ), the plane was still far from airfield but already at low altitude. I immediately went down to keep a bit of speed and gently landed in the wheat field next to our airfield. No damage. I checked my timer because I did not hear my alarm... I had 5 minutes at throttle timer and forgot to start my flying timer... How stupid I am!
                                  Just the time to change the battery and I made a second flight, with the timer, after 3 minutes, back to airfiled, I cut the engine few meters before touching down and I landed smoothly:Whew:. Very nice plane. With such a good experience I could not avoid doing a third flight. Same, very nice, I decided to keep a bit of engine during the landing to roll longer but this was a bad idea. The plane started to bounce on the grass and made a small jump damaging the front doors :Scared:. Ok, now I know what to not do ;)Definitely a very good trainer for me. Back to home, I set up the controler to have the soft cutoff. Freewing you made me addicted :P
                                  So in summary, standard installation, my full rates are the dual rates of the manual and flying with 85% dual rate. I have 65% of expo and the Avanti is flying nicely with 70% of throttle.
                                  One modification made, I installed a 3D printed front landing gear brace.

BTW, does anyone can tell me if soft cutoff reduce the power of the engine instead of just cutting off the engine?

Greetings from Belgium.

Comment

• Originally posted by LucB View Post
                                    BTW, does anyone can tell me if soft cutoff reduce the power of the engine instead of just cutting off the engine?

Greetings from Belgium.
                                    I think you are talking about the "brake". I prefer to have brakes OFF for EDFs. If you select brake ON, then you have a choice of soft, med, hard. EDFs need time to spool up and when you want to speed up quickly for whatever reason, having the fan "freewheel" reduces the spin up time. If you have the brake ON in any setting, the magnets of the motor actually come into play to stop the spinning and keep it stopped until you increase throttle.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                      I think you are talking about the "brake". I prefer to have brakes OFF for EDFs. If you select brake ON, then you have a choice of soft, med, hard. EDFs need time to spool up and when you want to speed up quickly for whatever reason, having the fan "freewheel" reduces the spin up time. If you have the brake ON in any setting, the magnets of the motor actually come into play to stop the spinning and keep it stopped until you increase throttle.
                                      Thanks for feedback. my brake setting is OFF. I will give a try after a flight.

Comment

• just received my freewing yellow Avantis jet am going thought setting it up and my elevator linkage are to short any help with this would be great

Comment

• Originally posted by davjamhan View Post
                                          just received my freewing yellow Avantis jet am going thought setting it up and my elevator linkage are to short any help with this would be great
                                          Unless someone at the factory actually put in the wrong rods in the package, it is more likely that you've used a set of rods meant for a different control surface. Some folks set up the flaps in such a way as to need a longer or shorter rod than what was meant to be used in the package. Doesn't necessarily mean they sent you the wrong rods, it just might mean you used the wrong ones or didn't "dial in" the flap servo to the correct location before sizing up for the rods.
                                          Take a look at the page that shows all the rods and how they list the measurement for each. Start with the shortest rod (by measurement but not necessarily measuring the real rods) and place them on top of the picture, then go to the next longest and do the same and so on. Try to use each set of rods to the corresponding control surface until you run out. The trickiest ones are for the flaps because those ones will work (or not work) depending on where you program the flap servo to start its travel.
                                          The shortest ones are for the rudder. Look at just the metal part and don't worry about the overall length (including the plastic end part). The next longest are for the flaps and elevator, which are the same length. Last, is the longest, which are the aileron rods. Is it possible that you used a set of the longer ones for the rudder, leaving you to end up with a set that is too short for the elevator? Take a look at all the rods you've got installed. Are there one or two that have the end plastic screwed entirely onto the threads and then some? And is there one or two that are barely biting into the threads because you needed to make it or them as long as possible?
                                          I usually have a few old rods laying around from dead planes that I can salvage and use in such "emergencies". Just cut to length and put a bend on the non-threaded end.

Comment

Working...
                                          X