X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

BTW, nice looking field. Where in Michigan is that. Lived in Traverse City many years and still have family on the farms in Manchester and Clinton. Seeing that location brings back fond memories of summers in Michigan!
    Our field is in Frankenmuth, Michigan, about 80 miles north of Detroit, a sleepy little tourist destination much like Traverse City. We just celebrated our 30th year as a club last weekend. We had a balloon club request permission to launch from our field last Saturday, below are some pictures that gives you a look at our 700' long field and the Frankenmuth country side.

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

Click image for larger version  Name:	SC1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	170.3 KB ID:	270803Click image for larger version  Name:	SC4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	115.9 KB ID:	270804

Comment

• Thanx for the info guys! Will try both the 5000 and 6000 packs. I usually fly mixed bag, full throttle and slow....
      next EDF gonna be 90 mm F-22 Raptor. I wish
      freewing would make a 80 or 90 size Mig 15...got the little 64mm version but it has more glue on it than foam!

Comment

• Originally posted by mirion View Post

Our field is in Frankenmuth, Michigan, about 80 miles north of Detroit, a sleepy little tourist destination much like Traverse City. We just celebrated our 30th year as a club last weekend.
        Yes, know it well, the heartland of the Midwest. My grandparents farm was not too far from there and my father as a teenager worked at the Bomber plant outside of Detroit at the start of WWII before joining the Navy. Spent many hours there stuffing myself like a pig at the several "family style" German restaurants. Seems like bus loads of tourists would flock there everyday from all over the Midwest just to sight-see and pig out. Definitely not the right place to be if your looking for the proper weight to wing load ratio in humans. Hope they didn't suffer too much with the lock down.
        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
        Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• I have the original release avanti. Must say best flying jet on the market. One of our club members just ordered a red one. Confused, the listing in one place says 90mm 9blade, another place 80mm 9 blade and also says 80mm12 blade. He called MRC, rep said it's 90mm 9 blade. I find that hard to believe. Anyone know if they upped to a 90mm.

Comment

• They are 80mm. The only 90mm avanti i know of is the Sebart

Comment

• Originally posted by Ks.jetflyer View Post
              I have the original release avanti. Must say best flying jet on the market. One of our club members just ordered a red one. Confused, the listing in one place says 90mm 9blade, another place 80mm 9 blade and also says 80mm12 blade. He called MRC, rep said it's 90mm 9 blade. I find that hard to believe. Anyone know if they upped to a 90mm.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200828-213749_Gallery.jpg
Views:	933
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	271459 I'm sure Motion like other businesses that are mega busy are struggling to keep up .

Comment

• Originally posted by Bgelok View Post
                They are 80mm. The only 90mm avanti i know of is the Sebart
                That's my thinking also.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ks.jetflyer View Post
                  I have the original release avanti. Must say best flying jet on the market. One of our club members just ordered a red one. Confused, the listing in one place says 90mm 9blade, another place 80mm 9 blade and also says 80mm12 blade. He called MRC, rep said it's 90mm 9 blade. I find that hard to believe. Anyone know if they upped to a 90mm.
                  They are 80mm, but they do offer (or have offered in the past) two different motor/fan combos, a 12-blade 1857kv and a 9-blade 1920kv.

I just check MRC website, and both red and yellow versions of Avanti PNP now say "NEW! 9 Blade factory balanced EDF combined with a powerful brushless 3658-1920kV inrunner motor". I'm pretty sure that as recently as a few weeks ago the yellow one had the 12-blade 1857kv, but it seems now they both come with the 9-blade. If I'm understanding the website correctly, you can't get the 12-blade anymore unless you order without the motor, and then separately order the 12-blade motor/fan (which I still see offered separately).

Comment

• Originally posted by Gringotuerto View Post

They are 80mm, but they do offer (or have offered in the past) two different motor/fan combos, a 12-blade 1857kv and a 9-blade 1920kv.

I just check MRC website, and both red and yellow versions of Avanti PNP now say "NEW! 9 Blade factory balanced EDF combined with a powerful brushless 3658-1920kV inrunner motor". I'm pretty sure that as recently as a few weeks ago the yellow one had the 12-blade 1857kv, but it seems now they both come with the 9-blade. If I'm understanding the website correctly, you can't get the 12-blade anymore unless you order without the motor, and then separately order the 12-blade motor/fan (which I still see offered separately).
                    Seems they've changed this fan several times. I remember when I first got the Red one when it came out, it came with a 9 blade 3658-1857 Kv Inrunner, which is what I have. The yellow at the time had a 12 blade, but can't remember if it was an outrunner (which I think it was) or inrunner. So now both have the 9 blade 3658-1920 Kv inrunner. That must turn this thing into a "rocket". The EDF I have has more than enough speed for me though, rarely am I at full throttle, except for take-off, and even then it doesn't need it!
                    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                    Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• I have the original yellow one, 3 yrs. old. Came with 1850kv outrunner. Still happy with performance and sound.

Comment

• OK so I just ordered the Avanti in the Yellow PNP , and I am wondering if there is anything I need to know about this plane? I have plenty of turbine experience and have been flying R/C for 34 years so I know what I m doing but just want to know if there is anything to know about this model.
                        Looks pretty stable and a breeze to fly. This is going to be my private field sport EDF. I've already had the A-10 and that was a great Freewing plane so I am expecting this to be just as good. Am I right??

Comment

• Originally posted by Eagleone622 View Post
                          OK so I just ordered the Avanti in the Yellow PNP , and I am wondering if there is anything I need to know about this plane? I have plenty of turbine experience and have been flying R/C for 34 years so I know what I m doing but just want to know if there is anything to know about this model.
                          Looks pretty stable and a breeze to fly. This is going to be my private field sport EDF. I've already had the A-10 and that was a great Freewing plane so I am expecting this to be just as good. Am I right??
                          It is much easier than the A-10...it can really slow down to a crawl for landing. I've never seen a plane with such a huge difference between maximum and minimum speed. Various people have various advice, but some common comments in this thread are:

1. The aileron throws in the manual are way too high for many people's liking. Make sure you at least start with low rates, and work you way up cautiously. About 60%. This is the only area where arguably the Avanti can be harder to control than the A-10. The A-10 has a large span and rolls fairly slowly.

2. Many people seem to prefer the CG slightly rearward of the CG recommended in the manual. This is typical of Flightline/Freewing planes. They give you a conservative starting point.

3. Probably the most popular mod for the Avanti is a 3D-printed nosewheel brace. I don't have one installed, but many folks do. I guess it also depends on your field. You can find many designs by Google search, here is one example:
                          This is a part for the Nose gear brace/support for the Freewing AvantiS in ABS or PLA, 30% filling, 0.2mm resolution, 5 layers everywhere If your plane never flew yet print the +1mm, i used the -1mm because i had a crash and i bent the front gear, i could not repaired it as a new one. -1mm = 13mm from the gear to the back of the plate 0mm = 14mm +1mm= 15mm +2mm= 16mm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0F_y3McXKQ

People sell these on e-bay, so you don't need a printer to get one.

This is probably the most popular plane I've ever seen at our club, and for good reason.

Comment

• I have not been able to log in since HobbySquawk updated their web site a few weeks ago. I have sent 3 messages with no reply to any of them. While I was typing this, it was erased and then came back in a few seconds. I tried to recover my password (Which I did not need to do.) and received "Invalid server response. Please try again." and then "Image verification unsuccessful due to incorrect reCAPTCHA parameters. Contact the admin." and then "You have not entered an email address that we recognize. Please try again or contact the administrator." Now, I was not doing anything and the page refreshed on it's own and I was suddenly logged in. Since I was back in, I verified my email address was exactly as I had thought and typed. There is something bad wrong somewhere.

Comment

• Chilly Bear I have two Avanti jets that are the same except one has the fences (painted black) and one does not. I personally do not like them because it seems at the same slow speed in a tight turn the one with the fences will stall and nose down and the one without will not. But then again, I am not a good jet pilot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mach9 View Post
                                Chilly Bear I have two Avanti jets that are the same except one has the fences (painted black) and one does not. I personally do not like them because it seems at the same slow speed in a tight turn the one with the fences will stall and nose down and the one without will not. But then again, I am not a good jet pilot.
                                There has been debate about whether wing fences are better or not. Here's something new I hadn't thought of - one of my main retracts didn't come down last weekend, and I landed on one main and the nosewheel. The wing fence skated along the ground and I ended up with no damage. Without the wing fence it would have been the aileron linkage dragging on the ground. So it also serves as backup main gear :)

Comment

• Ok need some help, i recently brought the new avanti s red high performance 9 blade inrunner along with the recommend 6000mAh admiral pro battery. My CG is 105mm from leading edge as stated in manual so battery is in line with the back of the wooden tray! On the maiden flight yesterday the plane was ridiculously twitchy and needed a lot if up trim, once i had it trimmed out the plane is wobbling about a lot and very difficult to fly so i landed asap!! Is it wrong CG causing this? Ive never maiden'd a jet and had issues like this im nervous about putting it in the air again. Anyone using the 6000mAh admiral pro and can help me out with battery placement?

Comment

• Ok need some help, i recently brought the new avanti s red high performance 9 blade inrunner along with the recommend 6000mAh admiral pro battery. My CG is 105mm from leading edge as stated in manual so battery is in line with the back of the wooden tray! On the maiden flight yesterday the plane was ridiculously twitchy and needed a lot if up trim, once i had it trimmed out the plane is wobbling about a lot and very difficult to fly so i landed asap!! Is it wrong CG causing this? Ive never maiden'd a jet and had issues like this im nervous about putting it in the air again. Anyone using the 6000mAh admiral pro and can help me out with battery placement?

Comment

• Originally posted by Trooper View Post
                                      Ok need some help, i recently brought the new avanti s red high performance 9 blade inrunner along with the recommend 6000mAh admiral pro battery. My CG is 105mm from leading edge as stated in manual so battery is in line with the back of the wooden tray! On the maiden flight yesterday the plane was ridiculously twitchy and needed a lot if up trim, once i had it trimmed out the plane is wobbling about a lot and very difficult to fly so i landed asap!! Is it wrong CG causing this? Ive never maiden'd a jet and had issues like this im nervous about putting it in the air again. Anyone using the 6000mAh admiral pro and can help me out with battery placement?
                                      You received a response on the RCg forums .

Comment

• Well that was helpful

Comment

Working...
                                        X