X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
    themudduck that looks like a custom made casing for the camera. How did you make it?
    Hi Hugh, you're correct!! It was designed by a friend and I printed it using a 3D printer. I am going to post the file soon on Thingiverse.
    I also have a different mount that attaches to a vertical surface (like a tail fin).
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20200623_204848.jpg
Views:	763
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	285025
    Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Hey, I found this F4 for sale in the classifieds. I was thinking of buying it and converting it to electric. If I did that I wouldn't need to get the spare engines that are available.

https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?make=MCDONNELL+DOUGLAS&model_group=NO+MODEL +GROUP&model=F-4+PHANTOM&listing_id=2315633&s-type=aircraft&utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&u tm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark
      Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Elbee
        Elbee commented
        Editing a comment
        TMD, Leave it to you to find the bargains. Best, LB

• You have to have some serious FU money to buy toys like that. I could maybe squeeze out one $15k monthly payment.

Comment

• Originally posted by themudduck View Post
        Hey, I found this F4 for sale in the classifieds. I was thinking of buying it and converting it to electric. If I did that I wouldn't need to get the spare engines that are available.

https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?make=MCDONNELL+DOUGLAS&model_group=NO+MODEL +GROUP&model=F-4+PHANTOM&listing_id=2315633&s-type=aircraft&utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&u tm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark
        Kinda like the financing option of just under $15,000 per month, slightly less than what I spend at MRC per month. Only drawback is that it is only 85% restored to flying condition, although that's a bit more than most of my EDF's are after my initial outings with them.
        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
        Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Still making progress... Albeit work Is preventing more expedient progress..... Pictured is the Nose pin upgrade, the Elevator servo change and linkage rebuild and cockpit progress.
          Attached Files
          Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

• Elbee
            Elbee commented
            Editing a comment
            E4, Lookin' good! Best, LB

• " Elevator servo change and linkage rebuild and cockpit progress."

When I tested me tail servo after my crash it was juddering at the centre position like crazy, a result of the impact no doubt, although there was no actual damage to the tail of the plane. I've changed it out for a standard analogue servo about the same weight. It is a wee bit slower but apart from that it seems good to go.

Any pros or cons ??????????????

Comment

• Originally posted by locharrow View Post
            " Elevator servo change and linkage rebuild and cockpit progress."

When I tested me tail servo after my crash it was juddering at the centre position like crazy, a result of the impact no doubt, although there was no actual damage to the tail of the plane. I've changed it out for a standard analogue servo about the same weight. It is a wee bit slower but apart from that it seems good to go.

The original servo probably broke a gear tooth or two.
            The analog servo won't be as strong, and won't hold the position as well. On the pro side, it won't draw as much current and it will be functional of course.
            I would hazard a guess that most of us won't recommend this for the Phantom. The elevator is under a lot of stress and you'll probably have better results with a good-quality servo and a beefed-up installation like you can see on E4Dragongunner's post. Motion's digital servos aren't very expensive.

Comment

• My friend Brent Lane caught a few great pics of my bird during the flight where I took that belly-cam video a few posts back, here they are. I love the way this plane looks (and how it flies)!
              (the camera can be seen in the first pic, under the "stars and bars")

Name:	_DSC1839.jpg
Views:	590
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	285413

Name:	_DSC1847.jpg
Views:	646
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	285414Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC1834.jpg
Views:	573
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	285415

Comment

• Originally posted by themudduck View Post
                My friend Brent Lane caught a few great pics of my bird during the flight where I took that belly-cam video a few posts back, here they are. I love the way this plane looks (and how it flies)!
                (the camera can be seen in the first pic, under the "stars and bars")

Name:	_DSC1839.jpg
Views:	590
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	285413

Name:	_DSC1847.jpg
Views:	646
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	285414Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC1834.jpg
Views:	573
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	285415
                Just love the pics!! Love the sundowners!
                Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

• Can anyone compare how the Phantom flies vs. other 90mms? I have the F-18 and F-22 and am considering the F-4 or the F-16 next.

Comment

• Originally posted by locharrow View Post
                    " Elevator servo change and linkage rebuild and cockpit progress."

I never liked the idea of combining digital and analog servos, so I recommend you not use the analog one in the elevator either.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mizer67 View Post
                      Can anyone compare how the Phantom flies vs. other 90mms? I have the F-18 and F-22 and am considering the F-4 or the F-16 next.
                      Well, she is not the F-22....Don't have the F-18, well I did have one but sold B4 maiden. The 22 is a Joy, Great 90 mm trainer. Just a regular no brainer flier! Have about 100 flights on mine. The F4 is Awesome, however needs to be shown respect. CG by the manual ends up being somewhat nose heavy. 190mm in the manual, All my F-4 have been at 195 and maybe a little more rearwards but not much. The biggest challenge ( for me ) is site picture. And silhouette orientation.... to help this I fly with the tanks on. Greatly aids in perception. Nose pin is weak and I replaced elevator servo, Love the old JR high end servos. I am building my 3rd F4. This platform will teach you a lot. Very satisfying when you get everything right!

Disclaimer: The above review and advice has worked well for me. I fly with a lot of turbine guys and a many of them are full scale jocks.... I have the least amount of experience in my group and I am always trying to learn more. And!! I have learned a ton from this group as well....

Special quote: Always be in a band with musicians that are better than you !

Hope this helps.

Comment

• Evening All! Been a while, still not flown this since that horrendous maiden. But I’m confident she’ll be good now. Anyway!- stuff - covid - work - life - all got in the way. Hoping come December I’ll get out there if the weather plays ball. Just redecorated the office - had to involve the f4!

Comment

• Originally posted by BenAtkinsonUK View Post
                          Evening All! Been a while, still not flown this since that horrendous maiden. But I’m confident she’ll be good now. Anyway!- stuff - covid - work - life - all got in the way. Hoping come December I’ll get out there if the weather plays ball. Just redecorated the office - had to involve the f4!
                          BA, Now that's a great 'wall hanging'. Bravo Zulu, Sir. Best, LB
                          I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                          ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by BenAtkinsonUK View Post
                            Evening All! Been a while, still not flown this since that horrendous maiden. But I’m confident she’ll be good now. Anyway!- stuff - covid - work - life - all got in the way. Hoping come December I’ll get out there if the weather plays ball. Just redecorated the office - had to involve the f4!
                            Much better than a picture of Dogs playing Poker! I just put mine up on the wall after seeing this where a huge wedding picture used to hang, but my wife had a heart attack. I thought it sure looked better than any picture with me in it!
                            Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                            Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• We finally had some decent weather today after 3 weeks of 45 mph winds and constant rain so I got a few birds out including the F-4. Definitely one of my favorite flying EDF's (but it did take me about 80 flights to get it there). Come on BenAtkinsonUK tkinsonUK, get that baby back up in the air. BTW, early on when they first released this, a lot of guys where complaining that the nose gear pin would break. I changed mine at the beginning on both F-4's because of those comments to a modified Spitfire Wheel Axel. In testing it, the stock pin was stronger, however, on a rough nose landing it would just snap instead of bending, where the Spitfire Axel was not quite as strong, but it would bend but never break based on my bench testing of the 2. Early on I did bend a few, but back then I thought I needed to land at 50 mph to keep from stalling. Now that I finally figured out how to land slow on the mains, haven't had a problem in the last 60 flights. But I did notice today that after some 60 flights on grass, the Spitfire pin was actually getting slightly bent, and to the side, not backwards. So I just put the stiff stock pin back in for the first time since I got it (hopefully my landings don't revert back to my original stock landings). So I say this just in case anyone else out there changed them a while ago and forgot about it, that pin is still softer than the stock and if you have mastered this F-4, you may want to go back to the stock pin, which is the same as the one in the A-10 and F-16, because after a lot of landings, at least on grass, it will end up bending slightly.

Name:	20201115_111208.jpg
Views:	568
Size:	298.6 KB
ID:	286150
                              Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Some more progress.....
                                Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by e4dragongunner View Post
                                  Some more progress.....
                                  E4, Now those are some handsome 3DP pilots. Great work, Sir. Best, LB
                                  I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                  ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

E4, Now those are some handsome 3DP pilots. Great work, Sir. Best, LB
                                    Thanks Elbee ... Pre shading has begun.. Pics to follow.

Comment

• I have been searching through this thread (a lot of pages!). Can someone please direct me to exactly where the nose pin upgrade is outlined (if there is one)? Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                      X