Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The build thread for my MIG-29 turbine conversion is here if anyone is interested.

RC Jets - Freewing Mig 29 EDF to Turbine Conversion - This conversion is in collaboration with my friend Keith (Yellowbird911) and is still a work in progress at this date. As of now the jets have not been flown. We hope to test fly this week. This turbine conversion is not new but the fuel system is unique. Keith

Comment

• Originally posted by janmb View Post
      This is just slow, graceful floating around in the fog
      That is a really interesting video! You fly that really well, too. I would be afraid of going that low and slow, you really have to be in control of the throttle to do that correctly. I have some family in Sweden and visited in winter before - it seemed like one continuous night with brief intermissions for daylight.

Comment

This is just slow, graceful floating around in the fog - if you want fast action, look elsewhere :P
        Smooth!

Comment

• Originally posted by viper1gj View Post

I loved the video, thats the way I enjoy flying. Thanks.

Originally posted by Gringotuerto View Post

That is a really interesting video! You fly that really well, too. I would be afraid of going that low and slow, you really have to be in control of the throttle to do that correctly. I have some family in Sweden and visited in winter before - it seemed like one continuous night with brief intermissions for daylight.
          Thanks!

Yes, energy/throttle management is certainly an important factor in this kind of flying. Then again, not rocket science either - it is certainly something any pilot can do with some practice. The most important factor is really learning to read the model, controlling the altitude with throttle and speed with elevator. As well as coordinated turns using rudder+opposite aileron.

The MiG flies high alpha beautifully, but like has been discussed a few times before, be really careful with it until we get vectoring nozzles. The stock thrust line is up and out, and will lock you into high alpha if you get in too deep. VT will obviously remove that concern entirely.

And yes, winters are fairly dark here. I live at 59.6 degrees north, so we don't lose daylight entirely, but the hours of daylight are indeed not many.

Originally posted by Airguardian View Post

Smooth!
          Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• Very nice Janmb love the slow flying great job.

Comment

• Beautiful — A great last flight, but hope you have a few more.
              Magazine cover, for sure with the color burst captured.

-GG
              Click image for larger version  Name:	512BDF61-190D-44AC-938F-9754AC5C5AAB.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	33.0 KB ID:	286040

Comment

• Since i have few pilots ask me where i find the runcam cover.... JAMES show those 3-4 episodes ago . So thank you for that James , look thingverse . Here the file to search. Using Ender 3 pro ( get one if you can ) and works great .
                Attached Files

Comment

The fall is a bit of a sad time of year here in Norway, knowing full well that winter is about to set a stop to our hobby for a few months. But it also delivers some pretty spectacular days, some with bright red and yellow colors, and like here, fog floating over the fields like wisps of smoke. Almost like a Japanese painting.
                  Nice flying.

Plenty of time now to do-it-yourself and make some afterburners!

Comment

• Originally posted by Griffon Wings View Post
                    Since i have few pilots ask me where i find the runcam cover.... JAMES show those 3-4 episodes ago . So thank you for that James , look thingverse . Here the file to search. Using Ender 3 pro ( get one if you can ) and works great .
                    Actually Griffon, that's the 3DP design I posted on Thingiverse (Foamin at the Mouth is the catchphrase for Rabid Models, my little business). There another older one that was made for the Mobius Action Cam and a brand new one for the Insta-360 GO camera. I use these all the time. They are designed to fit on the standard Freewing weapons pylon. You're saying that James mentioned this? I didn't know!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Camera boxes.jpg
Views:	1047
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	286053
                    Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post

The thing about inverted flat spins is stopping them. I've had several planes that would lock in and would take 2 - 3 turns to exit the spin.
                      It actually recovered very easily. Unlike the f14 flat spin..which takes a good 100ft of alt to recover

Comment

• Originally posted by Jet jocky View Post
                        Very nice Janmb love the slow flying great job.

Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post
                        Beautiful — A great last flight, but hope you have a few more.
                        Magazine cover, for sure with the color burst captured.

Originally posted by kallend View Post
                        Nice flying.

Plenty of time now to do-it-yourself and make some afterburners!
                        Thanks guys, means a lot :D

Comment

• Originally posted by themudduck View Post

Actually Griffon, that's the 3DP design I posted on Thingiverse (Foamin at the Mouth is the catchphrase for Rabid Models, my little business). There another older one that was made for the Mobius Action Cam and a brand new one for the Insta-360 GO camera. I use these all the time. They are designed to fit on the standard Freewing weapons pylon. You're saying that James mentioned this? I didn't know!!

Name:	Camera boxes.jpg
Views:	1047
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	286053
                          Can’t thank you enough! Brilliant idea. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
                          YES, James was showing this on epside 41 or so .
                          did i sat thank you yet ?
                          Thank you

Comment

• Originally posted by themudduck View Post

Would love to try the run cam holder.... do you have a link?

Comment

• Lol those camera mount designs are a little more sophisticated than mine

Name:	20201113_223739.jpg
Views:	727
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	286108

Comment

• Same here. Mine is 1/2 (less than) of an A-10 missile launcher, with Velcro on one side.

Name:	IMG_3766.JPG
Views:	624
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	286120

Name:	IMG_3767.JPG
Views:	620
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	286121

Comment

• Being enclosed may help in keeping the camera warm enough so that they don't shut-off mid-flight.

I know you have that problem janmb , I have run into it too!
                                  Will likely test it out myself! :)

After some digging I found this for the Mobius. Understand there's a separate version for the Runcam.
                                  May even end up doing my own version for a Firefly Q6! :)

This is an aerodynamic box to hold a Mobius ActionCam camera, for mounting on Freewing R/C aircraft weapons pylons. Or, any other object that has the mounting hardware (see notes below). The camera box is offered in TWO versions - one can be mounted under an attachment point, the other can be mounted above an attachment point. An additional two designs are available without the NACA cooling duct (the back of the box is open so cooling air flows through). The box is designed to snugly hold the camera without needing any additional hardware (the camera slides in). DESIGN IS BY GRATEFULFROG I also have a couple of pylons which can be used to extend the camera from the mounting surface, check my other thing files to find those.

Credit to themudduck !

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post
                                    Being enclosed may help in keeping the camera warm enough so that they don't shut-off mid-flight.

I know you have that problem janmb , I have run into it too!
                                    Will likely test it out myself! :)

After some digging I found this for the Mobius. Understand there's a separate version for the Runcam.
                                    May even end up doing my own version for a Firefly Q6! :)

This is an aerodynamic box to hold a Mobius ActionCam camera, for mounting on Freewing R/C aircraft weapons pylons. Or, any other object that has the mounting hardware (see notes below). The camera box is offered in TWO versions - one can be mounted under an attachment point, the other can be mounted above an attachment point. An additional two designs are available without the NACA cooling duct (the back of the box is open so cooling air flows through). The box is designed to snugly hold the camera without needing any additional hardware (the camera slides in). DESIGN IS BY GRATEFULFROG I also have a couple of pylons which can be used to extend the camera from the mounting surface, check my other thing files to find those.

Credit to themudduck !
                                    My brother has a 3d printer and asked him to make one for my Mobias.

Comment

• Here's the one for the Run Cam
                                      This version of the Sleekbox is made specifically for the RunCam HD Camera, which fits snugly inside. The box is designed with a "flow through" design to allow for cooling and streamlining. The box has "hook" mounts that fit Freewing RC airplane's weapon pylon sockets. Note: the box needs to be printed with the large opening face-down on the build plate, and use supports and a brim.

Comment

• Originally posted by Griffon Wings View Post

Can’t thank you enough! Brilliant idea. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
                                        YES, James was showing this on epside 41 or so .
                                        did i sat thank you yet ?
                                        Thank you
                                        Great design, would be interested in the Inst360 print if its available.

Comment

• Got the other set of reinforcement pieces to reinforce the rear elevator mount on my second Mig-29. Will show how it's turning out in future pics.

Comment

Working...
                                          X