Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just came back from the maiden this morning. This plane is a gentle giant, far more gentle than the initial impression of being a big, intimidating airplane. With 1/2 flaps landings, this thing floats in almost like a sailplane. Landed on the grass both times to make sure it didn't run off the end of the runway. But man, it's a power hog. Twin 5000mah, 6s Gens Ace got sucked down to 3.76v/cell with timer set for 4 minutes.

Comment

• Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post

Based on my experience, the one green ferrite ring is not sufficient. As evidenced in my previous posts...

-GG
      If I read you correctly, your ESCs didn't have any ferrite ring at all, not the same.
      Or did they?

Originally posted by Gringotuerto View Post
      Theory aside, a good range check is probably the best way to catch all noise issues pre-flight.
      That will be a range check with motors on... ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
        Just came back from the maiden this morning. This plane is a gentle giant, far more gentle than the initial impression of being a big, intimidating airplane. With 1/2 flaps landings, this thing floats in almost like a sailplane. Landed on the grass both times to make sure it didn't run off the end of the runway. But man, it's a power hog. Twin 5000mah, 6s Gens Ace got sucked down to 3.76v/cell with timer set for 4 minutes.
        Pretty much as I would expect regarding flight time. Obviously depends a lot on throttle management / type of flying, and not least how windy it is, but overall, 4 flat shouldn't be surprising imo

Congrats!
        Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• Originally posted by janmb View Post

Pretty much as I would expect regarding flight time. Obviously depends a lot on throttle management / type of flying, and not least how windy it is, but overall, 4 flat shouldn't be surprising imo

Congrats!
          I'm not disappointed in the flight time. I was just surprised by the end voltage on the batteries. With My A-10 on the same batteries and the same 4 minutes, the batteries reads 3.82v/cell and I always considered the A-10 as being power hungry. I may have to get some bigger batteries. I've wanted to give the Roaring Tops a try.

Comment

• 3.76v after 4 mins is normal for my A-10, F-14 and Mig, but I'm on the gas a lot (I hate flying at half throttle ). I've been wanting to give the new Liperior 5000 75C a try, but they've been out of stock. Great price though, and they have tested out at a true 35C (175A).

Pat

Comment

• 4min take off to taxi back with short taxi on 5200 and add just about a minute on 6200. The 5200 are 620-640g/ ea and the 6200 are 760g/ ea. The 10oz difference total is a little noticeable. The 6200 do have a little better punch. I just bought new same 6200 and the newer ones are 70g/ ea heavier, Going to have to decide if I use them or not. I also have 5800 RT's that are 765g/ ea and fit better since they are long/ narrow.

Comment

• 4min 'in the throttle' time for me on the HRB 6000 50c's and had plenty left in the tank; will probably try to push towards 5 since I had so much left. It all does depend on how your flight goes, but I really like the way the HRB's perform per dollar. The 2 pack is 150 bucks on amazon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post

If I read you correctly, your ESCs didn't have any ferrite ring at all, not the same.
                  Or did they?

That will be a range check with motors on... ;)
                  Affirmative....just the one green ferrite ring was present.

-GG

Comment

I'm not disappointed in the flight time. I was just surprised by the end voltage on the batteries. With My A-10 on the same batteries and the same 4 minutes, the batteries reads 3.82v/cell and I always considered the A-10 as being power hungry. I may have to get some bigger batteries. I've wanted to give the Roaring Tops a try.
                    Congratulations on a successful maiden. If you go to the Roaring Tops, I would not recommend the 6250 35C for these 2 inrunners, not a high enough discharge rate (although great for the outrunners), however if you are taking off of asphalt, which I know you are, then it shouldn't be that much of a problem (just a few more meters of runway) and the additional 1250 mah per battery would help the flight time (and they only weigh 790 g). You could use the RT 5500 70C (same weight), but I think the HRB 6000 50C-100C burst (weight at 824 g) would be better for a little more capacity and just as much power for the inrunners, and at a cost of only $75 per battery. Just my 2 cents.
                    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                    Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
                      3.76v after 4 mins is normal for my A-10, F-14 and Mig, but I'm on the gas a lot (I hate flying at half throttle ). I've been wanting to give the new Liperior 5000 75C a try, but they've been out of stock. Great price though, and they have tested out at a true 35C (175A).

https://rcbattery.com/liperior-pro-5...xt90-plug.html
                      I have a couple of the Liperior 75C's. Great batteries, hold >3.7V under load for a very long time, but they're heavy at 858 grams.

I use them in my F-22 and it shrugs off the extra weight. They're too heavy for my taste in the F-18C.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

Congratulations on a successful maiden. If you go to the Roaring Tops, I would not recommend the 6250 35C for these 2 inrunners, not a high enough discharge rate (although great for the outrunners), however if you are taking off of asphalt, which I know you are, then it shouldn't be that much of a problem (just a few more meters of runway) and the additional 1250 mah per battery would help the flight time (and they only weigh 790 g). You could use the RT 5500 70C (same weight), but I think the HRB 6000 50C-100C burst (weight at 824 g) would be better for a little more capacity and just as much power for the inrunners, and at a cost of only $75 per battery. Just my 2 cents.
                        Thanks, Hugh. A small crowd gathered to watch my second flight. I think it's the first one here.
                        I've checked out the HRBs at Amazon.ca but they are expensive and not too much choice. Amazon.com tells me to go to .ca. I'll check again and take a closer look at the RT. I was going to get more of the ChinaHobbyLine but bigger, but their website was so glitchy, they would accept my money. I'm not spending that kind of effort to find out why I can't give them money.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3739.JPG
Views:	695
Size:	402.8 KB
ID:	277630

Comment

• Can you get these on your Amazon? I got a dozen of the 3700 4S for my Bronco, Tigercat, P-38 and various other warbirds and love them. I want to try their 6000 6S.

https://www.amazon.com/Socokin-Batte...1421827&sr=8-2

Comment

Thanks, Hugh. A small crowd gathered to watch my second flight. I think it's the first one here.
                            I've checked out the HRBs at Amazon.ca but they are expensive and not too much choice. Amazon.com tells me to go to .ca. I'll check again and take a closer look at the RT. I was going to get more of the ChinaHobbyLine but bigger, but their website was so glitchy, they would accept my money. I'm not spending that kind of effort to find out why I can't give them money.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3739.JPG
Views:	695
Size:	402.8 KB
ID:	277630
                            That's too bad about the HRB's, I just checked Amazon here and they are selling 2 for $154, so only $75 US each. The RT 6250's are $93 each and the RT 5500's are $120 each, $US, so for me the HRB's are a better value. I did test out a Liperior battery on my IR meter that a friend had at the field the other day, if I remember it was only a 4000 35-40C 6S battery he uses in his F-22 and I was shocked to have it test out at higher Actual C (by 50%) than any other battery I have ever tested, easily the actual C is equal to what they advertised. Unfortunately, he didn't have anything larger to test out so I'm wondering about those batteries.
                            Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                            Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

My experience with the 6250 35C's are quite the opposite. I use either those or 5800's in all of my Freewing jets, and they love them. They are a true 20C (so capable of 125A sustained on the 6250's) and provide plenty of power. In fact, the T-33 is the first single EDF jet that I can get 4 minutes of spirited flying and still have 25% left upon landing. I fly off asphalt as well, but they work great on unimproved surfaces as well. I still want to try the new Liperior Pro's as the 5000 weighs the same as the 6250 and would be a drop in fit without worrying about CG. Those test out at a true 35C sustained.
                              Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
                                My experience with the 6250 35C's are quite the opposite. I use either those or 5800's in all of my Freewing jets, and they love them. They are a true 20C (so capable of 125A sustained on the 6250's) and provide plenty of power. In fact, the T-33 is the first single EDF jet that I can get 4 minutes of spirited flying and still have 25% left upon landing. I fly off asphalt as well, but they work great on unimproved surfaces as well. I still want to try the new Liperior Pro's as the 5000 weighs the same as the 6250 and would be a drop in fit without worrying about CG. Those test out at a true 35C sustained.
                                Actually the RT 6250's test out on an IR meter more like a true 25C and I love them in all my EDF outrunners and I have 20 of them. I get over 5 minutes on them in the A-10 and F-18 and over 4:30 minutes in both F-4's, Stinger 90 and the Avanti. But you'll find that the power draw on inrunners with a RT 6250 vs the RT 5500 70C (true C closer to 35C) or the HRB 50C (true C also around 35C) is a difference of about 4 Ah and 250 watts. The RT 6250's in my inrunners, specifically the F-16 with the 12 blade inrunner and the SU-30 with twin inrunners, require an extra 25-35 feet to get off of grass versus the RT 5500 or HRB 6000. But if you're flying off of asphalt, not a big deal. Just my thoughts, but I could be full of it!
                                Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Hugh, I use R/T 5000/5500, Jetwerx 6000 and HRB 6000 for the majority of my 80/90mm EDF models but just bought a single R/T 6250 to try. Put it in the T-33 first and wow she had noticeably more thrust AND I came down with more than my usual 14% ! Could have been that all my packs are old and/or this one was shiny new. I never break my packs in and forgot to see what my IR meter gave me as a true C rating but I was impressed, will buy a few more when the time comes.
                                  Don't have a single 6 cell pack (out of my active 17) that began life better than 34C according to my Giles IR meter.

Comment

• Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post
                                    Affirmative....just the one green ferrite ring was present.
                                    With this I mean you can install 'green rings' on the ESCs too... it doesn't have to be the bigger/heavier ferrites from Amazon that you referenced, right?

Actually I'd assume that running the wires around the ring is probably more effective but would love if someone with more knowledge on the topic could confirm, maybe Gringotuerto ?

Comment

HRB distributes direct to customer via ebay down here, worth a look to see if they do the same in canada. They have a sister brand called Yowoo they market the 100C (lol yeah right) carbon 6000 packs under. I dont know if these are the same as the HRB branded 100C packs, but whatever they are, they rock. They sell a pair for ~$250AUD ($240CAD) which is ridiculously good value out here in the sticks (same price as a single spektrum 5000 - no wonder the only guys using them get em for free with their review planes lol).

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post

With this I mean you can install 'green rings' on the ESCs too... it doesn't have to be the bigger/heavier ferrites from Amazon that you referenced, right?

Actually I'd assume that running the wires around the ring is probably more effective but would love if someone with more knowledge on the topic could confirm, maybe Gringotuerto ?
                                        Nope - Not a correct assumption. Can’t wrap big power wires around the green rings. The Amazon chokes are SUPER light.

On another topic and OMG AND LOL!!!!

Several posts back I was detailing how I was having nose gear hangs during retract and how I “fixed” the problem. WWEEELLLL - The problem returned this morning. Only one out of 5 flights did it retract.

TURNS OUT - Not jamming against wind-blown doors!!!

IT WAS A NUTTY SERVO! Always worked on the ground. Stopped working in the air.

Tested it out this evening after installing a new retract servo. The problem is FIXED! Soooo happy / was about to pull my hair out.

-GG

Comment

• Pitot tube....

Does anyone have a spare pitot tube they are not going to use. I'll buy it from you.

Comment

Working...
                                          X