Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yesterday, I assembled my new P-38. Having had a early version and am now assembling this later version, I have a few observations:
    1. I like the ribbon connector between the inner and out wings.
    2. I like that all of the wiring was run within the wings and fuselage, instead of having to figure out which wire goes where.
    3. There seems to be more space at the back of the bay of cockpit/battery bay for stuffing wires and the blue box. It's still tight, but it doesn't seem as tight as it was in my V1 P-38.
    4. Some servo leads are still too short and I had use my own extensions to be able to mount the RX in the bay (instead of having to leave it stuffed in the compartment/feed-through for the cables. Not a big deal, just a touch annoying.
    5. I do find it odd that the oleo struts are still considered upgrade struts, to be purchased separately. I still had a set on hand from my first P-38 and bought another set, when I purchased this P-38. In my mind, the compressible oleo struts should be standard equipment. The Nose Gear Strut is still a PITA to replace, as you have to disassemble the NG trunion.
    6. Related to the above item, I like that the oleo NG strut doesn't require an E-Clip to hold it in the trunion. It was a bit of pain to get the E-Clip off of the stock NG strut, but I liked that I could install the upgrade strut by disassembling the strut, no E-Clip required. I hate those tiny E-Clips!
    7. I was disappointed that the spinner backplates haven't been upgraded. In my opinion, the plastic backplates are the weakest part of the entire P-38 design. On my first P-38, I lost a prop twice inflight, due to a broken backplate. Motion has come out with some good backplates, such as on the 1.6m Spit. I'm kind of baffled that they haven't upgraded the plastic backplates for the P-38, for as long as this plane has been on the market.

Related to my last comment, I'd like to take the opportunity to praise Motion for keeping product lines, and replacement components, going for years. Most other toy-airplane companies seem to only make a run or two, then shut down the product line. To me, this shows that Motion really is customer focused. For that, they get my gratitude and a large portion of my toy warbird budget. Thanks, Motion!!!

Chuck
    ---
    Warbirder

Comment

• Thanks for the update!

Comment

• Hi Oxo…

Thanks for your post.

FW “has” upgraded the prop backplate.

My recent purchase of the P-38 included them. You may want to order a new set and specify they be the upgraded version. See post 4212…photo included:

https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...379#post315379

Additional tips recently offered in;

-GG

Comment

• Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post
          Hi Oxo…

FW “has” upgraded the prop backplate.

My recent purchase of the P-38 included them. You may want to order a new set and specify they be the upgraded version.

-GG
          Really? Now that does piss me off. Royally. With my new P-38, I ordered another set of props and spinners. The PNP spinners and the additional spinners are all the non-upgraded spinners. How have the backplates been updated?

[edit] I went back to the posts that you'd referenced. Is the upgrade simply beefed-up plastic, or is a metal piece included?
          ---
          Warbirder

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	C5E40AE5-0302-4BE7-A84F-781794B89953.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	60.1 KB ID:	331755

No metal added, but additional plastic added. Each prop blade now sits in a channel and the extra plastic reenforces the areas that are prone to crack.

I suggest working this out with MRC customer service.

In the mean time, the non-upgraded backplates are good for about 200 flights, in my experience.

Keep us posted.

-GG

Comment

• I’ve just ordered a new set of spinners for my olive drab P38 in the hope they would be the upgraded type. Sounds like I’m going to be disappointed. I’ve already had one backplate develop a hairline crack, luckily I found it before it failed in flight.

Comment

• Aros in post 4214 had a comment on this back in June.

-GG

Comment

• I just looked at my spinners again. The backplates do have the re-enforced plastic where the blades screw in; so, they are the upgraded backplates, I guess. I was expecting that an upgraded backplate would have a metal support structure, such as has been done for the 1.6m Spitfire. Hopefully, these backplates will fail less often than the original backplates.
                  ---
                  Warbirder

Comment

• As I was completing the assembly of my new P-38 yesterday evening and was finally installing the props, I realized that the Prop Nuts were missing. Since it was after business hours, I sent an email to Motion CS. A few minutes ago, I received an email response that two sets of prop adapters (which includes the prop nuts) has been shipped. I really, really appreciate no-hassle customer service!! Luckily, I’ve got prop nuts that can be cannibalized from my dead P-38 to hold me over.

I looked more closely at the plastic backplates yesterday evening. They do seem much beefier than the original backplates. Has there been many reported problems of these upgraded backplates failing in flight. I will balance my props before the maiden.

Chuck
                    ---
                    Warbirder

Comment

• I just now ordered a new set of hopefully beefed up backplates and elev servo. Although no issues with the originals so far I feel like alot of you its semi cheap insurance especially since the planes cost has gone up almost a hundred dollars since I bought it in March of this year. Good luck on the maiden and like your first one, dont forget to keep the power on her in the turns and landing.

Comment

• Oxotnik,
                        I’ve made less than 50 flights on my new P-38. With the old style backplates, there was a very slight change in the sound when a backplate cracked. So far, I have not detected any sound changes with the newly designed back plates.

Once I get about 150 flights, I intend to take things apart and do a close inspection….or when I detect any sound change during a fly by.

I will post an update after the inspection.

-GG

Comment

• Yes I noticed the slight change in sound when my backplate cracked, there was a kind of a buzzing quality to it. Luckily I was the only guy flying so I could pick the sound change up fairly easily.
                          I got my replacement spinners and backplates today and am pleased to see they are the new upgraded type.
                          Very cheap insurance for a beautiful plane like this, thanks to Motion RC for mailing them out to me so quickly, great customer service guys!

Comment

• Sounds like the "old" style stock has been replaced with the stronger backplate design. Excellent!

-GG

Comment

• My replacement P-38 has been fully assembled and programmed for most of this week. The cruddy weather is moving out with a stable cold-air mass coming in behind. Hopefully, I get my P-38 radio-checked and in the air tomorrow. I'm looking forward to being an RC P-38 pilot again.

I have setup my P-38 with an FrSky X8R and 4-channel SBus expantion. I've given each throttle its own channel and have mixed them with the rudder for differential thrust (on a 3-position switch for no-differential, 15% differential with rudder, and 50% differential (which I'll only use on the ground, if needed, but it won't be, as I never had any trouble with ground steering on my first P-38). I gave the nose-wheel-steering servo its own channel and trim tab, so that it can be subtrimmed and trimmed independently of the rudder. IIRC correctly, I mixed the nose-wheel steering servo with the rudder at 50% of the rudder rate. I can always bump it up or down, if needed. I just don't like for my nose-wheel-steering to be too active, especially since I like full throws on the rudder. I set up each rudder servo with its own channel, too. No real reason that I did that, other than it was easy to do. The aileron servos have their own channels as well and I've set them up to add a little reflex for half flaps and more reflex for full flaps. It's sort of a mild crow, but I didn't go overboard with the full-flap reflex.

I'm really anxious to get her in the again tomorrow. Unfortunately, my Callie graphics haven't arrived yet. So, she'll be flying tomorrow unmarked.

I've also fixed a flaky retract on my FMS F7F and am equally anxious to get the Tigercat back into the air, too. I soooooooooo love twins!! :-)

---
                              Warbirder

Comment

• Oxotnik - What do you mean by flap reflex?

Typically, reflexed flaps = negative flaps. The P-38 has split flaps, so "reflex" in the purest sense isn't possible. See below:

Sounds like you'll be a busy man with this set-up.

-GG

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2021-12-12 211334.jpg Views:	0 Size:	51.3 KB ID:	332394

Comment

• He said reflex with half and full flaps for crow so he is adding reflex to the ailerons...

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                                    He said reflex with half and full flaps for crow so he is adding reflex to the ailerons...
                                    Yep. Reflexing both ailerons up...which essentially adds some more washout and a little more drag for landing. Sorry if I was being vague.
                                    ---
                                    Warbirder

Comment

• Speaking of landing...
                                      I maidened my new P-38 yesterday. The flight went fine. It flew as well as my first P-38. I got a surprise on the landing though. I was going in at a nice glide slope and speed and was expecting a greaser landing, but got an ugly bounce instead. It caught me off guard and I almost didn't get on the throttle quick enough to get her back down in one piece. I forgot to never stop flying until the wheels stop. :-/

I had my hatcam angled down too low; so, I edited out almost all of the flight. I did catch the ugly landing though. LOL
                                      ---
                                      Warbirder

Comment

• Nice job on the bounce recovery!

Yep…missed the “crow” reference. My bad.

Looking forward to seeing the final product after your application of Callie graphics.

-GG

Comment

• Well done on the recovery, might invest in the upgraded struts. Especially on grass. https://www.motionrc.com/products/fl...-set-flw301089

Comment

Working...
                                          X