Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David5211 Welcome to Hobby Squawk! Looking forward to some posts with radial installs.

Comment

• A previous post mentioned a Saito FG 90R3
      I like that idea. It’ll be a while before I start working on this plane though. Buying it to have in my store up of ‘funtirement’ projects.

Comment

• Any update on the newly acquired models and build progress?

DaleD

Comment

• DaleD I often wonder the same thing. The roar of crickets is deafening LOL.

Comment

• i have a stupid question, how did you put the wood propellor on the dualsky motor, there is no central screw , only the 4 bolts ... am i missing something ?

Comment

• i used the engine mount to locate the holes for the electric motor mount.
              Attached Files

Comment

• That Dualsky motor comes in two versions...one with a single center prop shaft (GA6000S)...and another with the same 4 bolt pattern you would see on a DA60 (and others) with is a 30mm bolt circle. (GA6000)

You will need to drill your prop for the 4 30mm bolt pattern. There are 60cc prop drill jigs that help with this.

Originally posted by RC ML View Post
                i have a stupid question, how did you put the wood propellor on the dualsky motor, there is no central screw , only the 4 bolts ... am i missing something ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
                  DaleD I often wonder the same thing. The roar of crickets is deafening LOL.
                  As djmoose said, it's the same 4 bolt drill pattern as the 50cc-60cc DA and DLE gas engines. Do use a proper drill jig for those motors. The holes need to be the right spacing and drilled perfectly straight.

Comment

• I've been staying put in Florida since the beginning of February, but come mid-April I'll be back in Baltimore, ready to get to work. Ray English has worked on my Saito engine, so that will be delivered in a few weeks.

Comment

• It's almost time to get started on mine! I have to finish up a few things, but took some time to assemble THIS 1:32 diecast Red Lion. 😁
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0035.JPEG
Views:	580
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	304430Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0040.JPEG
Views:	554
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	304431Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0037.JPEG
Views:	543
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	304432

Comment

• Looking forward to seeing the progress on the other builds. I noticed that there is only one Gilmore left in stock in the U.S. warehouse.

Comment

• Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
                          Looking forward to seeing the progress on the other builds. I noticed that there is only one Gilmore left in stock in the U.S. warehouse.
                          Now there are none left in stock in the U.S Warehouse!!! I just pulled the trigger on it. Super excited!!!!

Now just contemplating power system. Thinking gas, Saito FG-60R3 Radial. I believe that will be enough for some good sport flying with the right prop. Thoughts?

Comment

• 406PIlot Congrats on scoring a Gilmore! I think you'll be pretty happy with the build quality.

As for gas power, here is what Senior Product Manager Alpha Enos told another Squawk member about the Saito FG-60R3, "A Saito FG 60R3 will fit and fly, but a Saito FG 90R3 would really wake the model up and make good use of all the space in that giant --air brake-- I mean cowl."

With this model, it's best to run a power system that will spin at least a 24" prop. The 60R3 will get it to fly, but won't leave much overhead to get out of a tough situation. This bird has quite a bit of frontal surface area. It will slow down quickly, especially in a head wind. Thrust is your friend if you need to get the airspeed back up in a hurry.

The Saito FG-84 or 90 R3 might be better choices IMHO.

Hope you'll share some of your build here on the thread.

Comment

• Twowingtj hahahhaha giant air brake. I suppose the cowl will help then since it has no flaps.

I need to dig through the forum some more, but motion recommends a 22x8 prop for gas. Are a lot of people running bigger 24" props? I've watched the small handful of videos people have on YouTube of this beautiful bird. A lot of those seem to be DLE-55's or an engine in that range. I've seen 1 or 2 with a FG-60R3 at least I thought. Might have been the FG-90R3 I'll have to go back and check. The radials sound so good just so expensive!!!

I appreciate all the input and welcome more. This bird deserves to be done right!

Comment

• Also wanted to ask. Does anyone have a recommended wing bag for this plane? All the descriptions say easily removable wings for transport, but I haven't seen dimensions. I'm also not sure if the landing gear are attached on the wing sections or the fuselage section.

Comment

• I must apologize. I just spent all morning drinking coffee and reading through every comment in this thread. If I had done that in the first place I wouldn't have re-asked what seems to be a very popular question about the radial engines / engine size.

Really great full to you guys that have posted details on your builds, CG, control throws etc. This will make things much easier going thru my build before doing the maiden and finding it to be a tail heavy monster to handle etc.

I'll be posting up some pictures and such once it comes in and the build gets started. I just need to figure out FG-90R3 or maybe 75R5 or perhaps a UMS radial. Ohhhh the decisions to be made.... They are all going to leave a dent in the wallet HAHAHA

PS

Does anyone else think motion should include a free t-shirt when you spend over 1,000$ HAHAH

Comment

• Got all of the electronics ready.

Name:	IMG_0073.jpeg
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	305204

Comment

• Hello , Would it be a good idea to replace the engine mount from wood into metal , to get the weight from +-25 oz in place . Or prefer the firewall ? your thoughts . is the CG from 112 still ok ?

Comment

• Originally posted by djmoose View Post
                                        Got all of the electronics ready.

Name:	IMG_0073.jpeg
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	305204
                                        Are you running any sort of UBEC or redundant battery for your receiver?

Comment

• I run a separate smaller 2S LiPo (1000-1500mAH) directly plugged into the Rx.

I make a custom power harness with 3 power connections from a PowerPole (rx battery) to 3 servo connectors directly into the Rx. (red servo connectors into the Rx in the picture below)

No real redundancy, per say, but pure isolation...and 3 separate power connections into the Rx to really assure I can get 15 Amps of pure DC power without voltage drop due to the 5 Amp rating of typical servo connectors.

I set a voltage alarm on my Jeti radio to help detect Rx pack issues. I also see the Rx voltage on my main screen and get a real-time visual of the voltage.

Name:	power2.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	305292

Click image for larger version  Name:	power1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	76.9 KB ID:	305248
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X