Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• djmoose Great. I usually do something similar 2 packs directly to the RX if i'm not using big power hungry servos and then separate out my retract landing gear etc. With this plane no retracts to worry about. So I was just curious what other people were doing as there is almost always a better way to do things. The input helps and is greatly apprecaited.

Can't wait to see yours all finished up. Will we get a maiden video or any flight video's once it's done? Would love to see some.

I'm so pumped about getting this plane!!! Can't wait for it to get here!!

Comment

• 406PIlot Awesome! You're absolutely correct and I'm with you. It's great to ask and see how other people do things...that's how we all learn!

For flying videos, I have the camera, now I have to convince my wife to come to the field with me to do some filming! :-) More to come!

Comment

• Very excited about this.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0075.jpeg
Views:	509
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	305337

Comment

• Originally posted by 406PIlot View Post
          Also wanted to ask. Does anyone have a recommended wing bag for this plane? All the descriptions say easily removable wings for transport, but I haven't seen dimensions. I'm also not sure if the landing gear are attached on the wing sections or the fuselage section.
          I have my wings in a Hobby-Pak wing double wing bag. I don;t think that that brand is available anymore. It measures 45" long by 23" at the the widest end of the bag and 16" at the narrow end. The wing panels are 41" long(counting the aluminum wing bolt tab), 19" at the wing root, 16" cord near the wing tip, and 2 3/8" thick. The landing gear is mounted to the fuselage.

For receiver power I use a ZTW 18A UBEC powered by a 3S 3000mah lipo. The UBEC output is set to 6v.

Comment

• Twowingtj Appreciate the info!! Having the wing panel dimensions now I can start looking for a bag.

Motion sent me confirmation my plane shipped today!!! Can't wait till it gets here!

Comment

• So when I ordered the plane I ordered the recommended hitec hs-645mg servos motion had listed. Are these going to be strong enough for a plane of this size??? I'm really starting to wonder if I need to go with something else.

Thoughts???

Comment

• 406PIlot there are a lot of factors to consider when choosing servos for an application. Hitec recommends those servos for a 12 to 15lb sport plane. The Gilmore will come in at 22 to 26 lb range.

The surfaces are fairly small, have one servo per surface, and don't need a lot of defection. Here is a handy tool for calculating "minimum" servo torque requirements: https://mnbigbirds.com/Servo%20Torque%20Caculator.htm It does require a few "best guesses" to figure out.

Like choosing most other components, it's best to allow a fair amount of overhead to lessen the risk of stressing the equipment.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC ML View Post
                  Hello , Would it be a good idea to replace the engine mount from wood into metal , to get the weight from +-25 oz in place . Or prefer the firewall ? your thoughts . is the CG from 112 still ok ?
                  The firewall on my plane had somewhat softer wood that compressed easily. Black Horse did install hard points to help with this. I did harden mine with CA and fender washers on the back side. The wood used for the forward part of the motor mount was OK. Since my bird is electric powered, and not prone to vibration, I feel comfortable with the stock mounts.

If someone chooses an IC engine, especially a single or twin, some strengthening might be worth doing.

Since the wood used for the firewall/mounts is made from natural materials, some could be much denser than my model's was. It's kind of an individual judgment call based on what you have to work with.

As for the CG, I haven't had a chance to change out the servo yet that wasn't centering correctly. It may have been contributing to the touchy feel to the elevator. Once that's done and I get it out flying again, I'll provide any updates to the CG I used last.

Comment

• Twowingtj What servos are you using in your Gilmore?

Comment

• 406PIlot I'm running these https://pilot-rc.com/py-23ah-23kg-1-6%e2%80%b3-alu-arm/ at 6v. They've been discontinued by Pilot RC and replaced with HV ones. I had a full set in the bench stock. The original ones I ran had the same torque, but were a more "budget" brand and some had problems centering reliably.

Comment

• Well, got my engine ordered today. Saito FG-90R3. I'm so dang excited!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• I was toying with the idea of a small plush lion as the pilot...and me being me I spent about an hour doing research and found out Gilmore the lion's last flight was in 1930, 2 years before NR61Y was built. (I still might do it)

https://aviationoiloutlet.com/blog/r...%20a%20payload.

Comment

• I like the idea of the lion as the pilot!!!

Comment

• Also, NR61Y absolutely never had cowl blisters while in the Gilmore scheme. What's interesting is that I had just assumed that the Gilmore scheme was around for years....it was really only around for 1932. In 1933 the fuse was painted gold and covered with sponsors. (even more interesting, the wings REMAINED in the Gilmore scheme for a bit...I've only seen one small color picture, but it was quite ugly)

Comment

• Well decided I'm definitely not using the "motion" recommended Hitec 645MG servos. I ordered Savox SA-1230SG servos for all the control surfaces & Savox SC-025MG for the throttle and choke of the FG-90. Pricey, but I feel better just knowing that I'm not risking such a beautiful & expensive build on a cheap servo.

I also decided on running a Falcon 24x10 beechwood prop to start with.

This build is getting a bit more spendy than I had originally anticipated, but it will be done right with no corner cutting. I might have to part with something in my hangar to help support this project HAHAHAH

Comment

• Originally posted by djmoose View Post
                                  Also, NR61Y absolutely never had cowl blisters while in the Gilmore scheme.
                                  The problem is the cowl comes with depressions to glue the blisters onto. So either way it will look a little odd up close. I will try to glue the blisters on, and if I am feeling up to it, I may try to use some bondo or something similar to hide the glue seams. It would probably mean having to repaint the cowl. We'll see.

Comment

• Originally posted by RCBobP View Post
                                    The problem is the cowl comes with depressions to glue the blisters onto. So either way it will look a little odd up close. I will try to glue the blisters on, and if I am feeling up to it, I may try to use some bondo or something similar to hide the glue seams. It would probably mean having to repaint the cowl. We'll see.
                                    That sounds like a plan!

Comment

• Blisters attached . The red lines correspondent not with all the planes . So here is some cutting and shaving to do. but the end result is ok for me.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

• Next problem , make the cg thru extra weight or thru extra batteries .
                                        I measured both .
                                        No landing gear mounted . (not possible to measure , practical issues.)
                                        With extra weight cg 111,9 mm total wit = 10358 gr Click image for larger version

Name:	48ACCB9B-0865-4DC3-90B7-F7F9B8937E95_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	479
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	305781

Comment

• First set of batteries = 2x 6000mah (in series)
                                          Now with extra batteries 2x 5000mah (i don't have others ) that have to go parallel.
                                          The 4 batteries setup :
                                          cg=113,5 but can go to 112 just by adjusting the batteries on batterie holder in the Gilmore.
                                          The weight is 11453 gr , that is +1100gr .
                                          I am going first for the 2 batteries setup . (See how long i can fly)

Click image for larger version

Name:	91B4C00B-8DE4-444E-87FC-EE39DCA38E27_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	472
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	305783

Comment

Working...
                                          X