X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by davegee View Post
    I've been working on various parts of the P-47 OLE COCK while I wait for the graphics from Callie to arrive. This is actually good for me as I can do most of the detailing I want to do before I start applying the graphics.

The past few days I've been working on the cockpit. I really hate that goofy looking kit-supplied pilot, but he fits, and I rearranged his arms to be a little more realistic and my wife totally repainted him. I am expecting a 1/8 scale Warbird Pilot to arrive in the mail, but I think since this canopy is going to be closed anyway, I'll save him for another project down the road.

I did add some details to the cockpit like a Mk .VIII gunsight as was used earlier in the war as this model depicts, a scale seat back, headrest, and if you can check it out a scale cord for the headset with a period looking two part red/black phone jack. Also, the oxygen hosing was completely redone to a scale appearance as was on the real aircraft. I'll be closing up this part with the canopy later this week and that should be it for this section. Last, included some scale looking shoulder harnesses for the pilot.

Attached are some pics.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG-0392.jpg Views:	0 Size:	124.8 KB ID:	366368Click image for larger version Name:	IMG-0391.jpg Views:	0 Size:	158.5 KB ID:	366369Click image for larger version Name:	IMG-0390.jpg Views:	0 Size:	270.6 KB ID:	366370Click image for larger version Name:	IMG-0398.jpg Views:	0 Size:	124.5 KB ID:	366371Click image for larger version Name:	IMG-0395.jpg Views:	0 Size:	141.6 KB ID:	366372
    This most likely is "over the top" for most modelers, but I decided to find out exactly how the "plumbing" on the P-47 and other American fighter headsets went on the real airplane. I found a picture today online, and now I know how it worked.

For those interested, the leather or cloth helmet (winter or summer) had an earphone for each ear. They were connected with a cord that then went down about 12 inches or more to a male red phone jack plug. The red phone jack plug was then in turn plugged into a Y-harness and plugged into a female plug on one part of the Y harness and then the other part of the Y harness had a special connector to the oxygen mask microphone. This now connected, became a single larger cord with a larger single male end plug that went into a receptacle on the left side of the cockpit side wall.

I'll attach a photo of the finished changes I did on my pilot, and a photo of a mannequin that shows how everything went together. I am happy I solved this little question in my mind, as I always wondered how these cables all hooked up.

Cheers

davegee

Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	366535Click image for larger version

Name:	nored51.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	366536

Comment

• Davegee,

Glad they arrived. The brass bushing is pressed into the Robart hub. I use the axle as a press. Next the alum spacer slides over the axle on the strut side allowing clearance for the wheel to rotate and not rub. Hope this helps. Photo;s below. Also a pic of the brake housing that is in the beginning stage. Had to use my tweezers to put the styrene pieces in the sawn groves and zapped. Now I need to trim, then build the next one. It takes patience, my fingers are in the way. I had to trim my axles after putting it all together.

Rex

Name:	IMG_2715.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	366538

Name:	IMG_2716 (1).jpg
Views:	211
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	366539

Name:	IMG_2714.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	366540

Name:	IMG_2717.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	366541Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2718.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	366542

Name:	IMG_2719.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	366543

I cleaned my workbench before starting this project and now I am working in a little space, everything is cluttered. Does this happen to you?

Comment

• Davegee,

My bushings were made from aluminum, I made yours from brass rod and the O.D. dimension was right on .250". My alum. were a little oversize and I used the axle to press in. The brass slid in the hub and may need a drop of glue if they rotate. Think they will last either way, glue or no glue. I plan to use some silicone spray on axle bushing.

Rex

Comment

• Originally posted by jetfool View Post
          Davegee,

My bushings were made from aluminum, I made yours from brass rod and the O.D. dimension was right on .250". My alum. were a little oversize and I used the axle to press in. The brass slid in the hub and may need a drop of glue if they rotate. Think they will last either way, glue or no glue. I plan to use some silicone spray on axle bushing.

Rex
          Thanks for the explanation and pictures, Rex. I have them set to replace the current setup I have on my Corsair. Should work fine, I would think.

In regard to your question on the cleanliness of my workshop, with a new project, I start out with everything neat and orderly, almost like a surgical room. But then, everything eventually goes downhill. Things don't get put away, scraps are on the floor, etc., and eventually I have to call a time-out to take a little breather and clean up everything to where I have some space to work.

With the OLE COCK project, most of the heavy lifting is now done. Lots of little details to add, things to correct where they might not look quite right, etc. I think once I get Callie's decals, they can go on in about a day or two, followed by weathering, which is a never ending process!

Do you happen to have the STL file numbers for those scissors for the Corsair? I might be able to send them to my guy on the East coast to do while he is finishing up my Curtiss Electric prop domes for the P-47. I'll modify the props to look like CE props, see how it goes. I'm encouraged so far with about half a dozen flights with another plane and the V3 Corsair prop. It's much more scale, still even a bit undersized but much better than the stock prop which almost looks silly, but flies well with it.

Cheers

davegee

Comment

• strutmod.zip

Davegee, I hope this works. Had it saved and it is what my gradson printed. Let me know if it isn't correct

Rex

Comment

[ATTACH]n366614[/ATTACH]

Davegee, I hope this works. Had it saved and it is what my gradson printed. Let me know if it isn't correct

Rex
              Thanks, Rex. I'll send them on to my guy to print up and see if they work. I'll let you know.

Cheers

Davegee

Comment

• I got most of the work done for some scale details for attaching the drop tank to the fuselage of the FMS 1500mm P-47D. I added some scale looking sway braces out of hard wood and drilled some holes to put some finishing nails that looked reasonably close to the attach brackets on the sway braces to keep the tank still during flight. I'll attach some pics. The black tube in one of them is the feeding tube for the fuel from the drop tank to the engine. I won't add any weathering until I get the nomenclature markings from Callie and applied them first. There are several that go on the tank itself and other areas on the lower fuse.

Name:	IMG-0405.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	366701Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0406.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	366702Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0408.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	366703Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0407.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	366704

Comment

• Davegee,

Outstanding work. Really going to look nice sitting on the taxiway and in the air. Your tank is one that I want to make for my Yellow P-47. Just need to turn a mold on the lathe.
                  You should enter it in some contests this summer.
                  Best Regards, Rex

Comment

Davegee,

Outstanding work. Really going to look nice sitting on the taxiway and in the air. Your tank is one that I want to make for my Yellow P-47. Just need to turn a mold on the lathe.
                    You should enter it in some contests this summer.
                    Best Regards, Rex
                    Thanks, Rex. This and my most recent completion Hairless Joe were P-47s that operated fairly early in the (USA) air war in Europe. The P-47 was being modified as best they could to give it longer legs. At this point, the best they could do was the 108 gal. paper tanks attached to the belly shackles. They still had not come up with wing pylons that really made it a much more versatile fighter/bomber adding fuel tanks/bombs, etc. So, I had to remove all the wing connectors for those things and cover them up. I do have an older jug, painted up as it flew in the summer of 1944 that does use all the stuff that FMS included in the kit like bombs and the three tube rocket pods that were on both wings.

If they have a warbird contest somewhere out West this summer not too far away, and included foamies, I might like to enter one or more of my planes in a contest. For the big contests, at least in the past, you had to have big gasser planes like your Yellow or my Aerotech P-47s to be competitive or even allowed to enter. We'll see...

Comment

• Davegee,

I hope you do enter contests. My scale flying buddy and I started going to events in 2019. We enter in fun scale and attend some warbird events. Don't expect to place but we have a ball. My 80 ish models look good but it seemes that now they are 100" or more to really be competitive. I have a few unfinished 1/4 scale started but the costs for me are getting too high. I think more and more modelers are buying and entering fun scale with foam arfs and having more fun than spending thousands on one model. I hope to fly in a few events with this Corsair. I really wasn't a fan of these foam planes until I saw how detailed they are coming from the factory and watching our club members fly all day long while I was working on my nitro/gas engines to get 3-4 flights in before getting fed up. Now I am dreaming of a Motion Tigercat, P-38, Phantom or T-45. Wish list for X-Mas! Wife keeps me settled so I will have to choose. Couldn't ask for a better partner! I still enjoy my larger planes too just costs to build are out of sight IMO.
                      Horizon Hobby is only 1 1/2 hour from me so I may go to some of their events. There are scale flying events almost every weekend in IN, IL from June to sept. Went to a scale contest last sept and a retired air force gentleman brought 25 scale foam models to fly. He flew most of them and said he had over 80 at home. Said his kids all on their own and a widower and he enjoyed his models.

Rex

Comment

Davegee,

I hope you do enter contests. My scale flying buddy and I started going to events in 2019. We enter in fun scale and attend some warbird events. Don't expect to place but we have a ball. My 80 ish models look good but it seemes that now they are 100" or more to really be competitive. I have a few unfinished 1/4 scale started but the costs for me are getting too high. I think more and more modelers are buying and entering fun scale with foam arfs and having more fun than spending thousands on one model. I hope to fly in a few events with this Corsair. I really wasn't a fan of these foam planes until I saw how detailed they are coming from the factory and watching our club members fly all day long while I was working on my nitro/gas engines to get 3-4 flights in before getting fed up. Now I am dreaming of a Motion Tigercat, P-38, Phantom or T-45. Wish list for X-Mas! Wife keeps me settled so I will have to choose. Couldn't ask for a better partner! I still enjoy my larger planes too just costs to build are out of sight IMO.
                        Horizon Hobby is only 1 1/2 hour from me so I may go to some of their events. There are scale flying events almost every weekend in IN, IL from June to sept. Went to a scale contest last sept and a retired air force gentleman brought 25 scale foam models to fly. He flew most of them and said he had over 80 at home. Said his kids all on their own and a widower and he enjoyed his models.

Rex
                        Hi Rex: you're right about size of models that are needed to be serious contenders for big contests. I flew a bunch of shows from 2004-2008, haven't done too much since. But even back then, my 85 inch planes, no matter how beautiful they were or how well they flew, were eclipsed by planes that were 100 inches or better. The level of competition has also gone way up, as has the amount of money you have to spend to get to that point. I decided years ago that I wouldn't pursue that next level, I had plenty of fun doing it for those few years.

The smaller contests might still appeal, although I haven't really seen many warbird contests in these parts. I'd have to go someplace like maybe where you live which is rich in great flying fields and well done competitions to fly in. That's probably more than I'm willing to venture at this stage of life. But if I hear of one next spring that is within my willing range to drive to, I'd certainly consider it. If not, I enjoy flying out of my little field here in remote northwest Wyoming.

Cheers

davegee

Comment

• I worked out there in the 80s during my sales traveling. Fantastic country. Kept looking for the Indians and Calvary to come over the hills

Comment

I worked out there in the 80s during my sales traveling. Fantastic country. Kept looking for the Indians and Calvary to come over the hills
                            Their ghosts are not too far away!! One story that appeals to me is Chief Joseph of the Nez Perce tribe. Shortly after the debacle at Little Big Horn in Montana, they were going to be rounded up and put on a reservation. A very long and arduous chase ensued which went right through Yellowstone NP and off to the Canadian border in Washington state, I think. They were apprehended just a few miles short of their goal, the Canadian border, and were forced back on the reservation. There is a spectacular drive called the Chief Joseph highway that brings you into the northeast entrance of YNP, via Montana. Highly recommend it for anyone traveling that way.

Cheers

davegee

Comment

Davegee,

Rex
                              I still have my F-4N Phantom, but have also had the P-38, Tigercat, and T-45, among many others the past 10 years of flying foamies. Although several of them eventually came back in a body bag, I had a lot of fun with those planes. And of course, many others like F-14s, F-15s, etc. I totally agree with you that these foamies fill a niche for many of us who don't want to fly and pay for expensive big gassers or glo planes. Plus, you can fly almost anything you want for a fraction of the cost of ONE of these more expensive planes.

Cheers

Davegee

Comment

• Davegee,
                                A little off topic, but which of the P-38 and Tigercat did you find the best flying. I have a JHH F-4 that needs to be finished but what is the best flying Phantom or T-45. I like all of these and looking at all the flight reports. Rex

Comment

• ​ I currently have these among others...

F4U-1 Corsair, Flight Line, Not a fan of Corsairs but it flies great
                                  Spitfire 1600, Flight Line, have a Mr RC Sound system in it, absolutely love it, ground handling is fantastic

FW-190, Hobby King Avios, also have a Mr RC Sound system in it. Quality nowhere near FL but flies great
                                  OV-10 Bronco, FL re-powered with 3X the power and digital FPV with head tracking. My favorite war bird
                                  F7F Tigercat, Fl, my third one. Digital FPV with head tracking. Very close second to favorite
                                  F8F Bearcat 1200, FL, great small warbird
                                  Spitfire 1200, 2 blade APC I fly it on 4S and 5S. 6S makes the wings warp in flight. FPV in this one, great small war bird

Had and sold my P-38. I really liked it but got bored with it. Imagine that, a P-38 that flies so well it gets boring!

Name:	IMG_0867.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	366954 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1093.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	366955Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1505.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	254.5 KB
ID:	366956

Name:	IMG_2343.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	210.8 KB
ID:	366960Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue Angels.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	366961

​​
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Davegee,
                                    A little off topic, but which of the P-38 and Tigercat did you find the best flying. I have a JHH F-4 that needs to be finished but what is the best flying Phantom or T-45. I like all of these and looking at all the flight reports. Rex
                                    Hi Rex: I enjoyed both the P-38 and the Flightline Tigercat. I had one years ago but sold it to a friend who was once a pilot in the Navy. I more recently bought a new Tigercat, same type, and had fun with it. Eventually I had some mechanical issue with the motors or one of them and it crashed. I harvested pieces of it like the electronics and other things, but to be truthful, I got bored with it. It was somewhat underpowered, but easy to fly.

The P-38 I had for a long time, flew it a ton. I don't know if I'd buy another one now, mainly for lack of space at home, but it was a great flyer. The outer wing panels were a pain to put on as you had to individually plug in the separate connectors for the ailerons, flaps, and lights on each wing. I was able to get away with just taking off one wingtip and then assembled it at the field.

I think the T-45 was a good flyer, unfortunately I didn't get many flights on it before it stalled and crashed, apparently. Still a mystery to me how it happened, but I never did buy another one. They have a new version where they don't have the extensible leading edge devices, maybe that makes it a bit lighter and less prone to problems.

My Freewing F-4N is a great plane, a big sled that you need to go fast. I have simulated afterburners and brakes which helps out on our short bumpy runway. I wouldn't shy away from any of these airplanes, really.

Name:	DSC_6214.jpgcropped.jpglightened.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	366971

Name:	DSC_4021cropped.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	366968Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4015.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	366969Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0729.jpgadjusted.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	366970

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post
                                      I got most of the work done for some scale details for attaching the drop tank to the fuselage of the FMS 1500mm P-47D. I added some scale looking sway braces out of hard wood and drilled some holes to put some finishing nails that looked reasonably close to the attach brackets on the sway braces to keep the tank still during flight. I'll attach some pics. The black tube in one of them is the feeding tube for the fuel from the drop tank to the engine. I won't add any weathering until I get the nomenclature markings from Callie and applied them first. There are several that go on the tank itself and other areas on the lower fuse.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0405.jpg Views:	24 Size:	87.6 KB ID:	366701Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0406.jpg Views:	21 Size:	104.9 KB ID:	366702Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0408.jpg Views:	21 Size:	87.1 KB ID:	366703Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0407.jpg Views:	21 Size:	105.3 KB ID:	366704
                                      Did a bit more work on some details for the P-47D. I'm starting to run out of things to do until I get Callie's markings set. I had some nomenclature left over from a previous model, and used some of those, but I still have a bunch I need to wait for. I have to get her markings on before I can start the weathering process look for this bird. Looking forward to that. I'll attach some pics of what I was doing this afternoon. I got some scale looking screw heads with adhesive backing that I have started putting on in various places. Painted red boxes around the fuel filler ports.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0410.jpg Views:	0 Size:	170.1 KB ID:	366974Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0412.jpg Views:	0 Size:	111.5 KB ID:	366975Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0414.jpg Views:	0 Size:	97.6 KB ID:	366976Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0415.jpg Views:	0 Size:	82.3 KB ID:	366977Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0416.jpg Views:	0 Size:	84.3 KB ID:	366978Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0413.jpg Views:	0 Size:	85.7 KB ID:	366979

Comment

• You are making it come alive. Rex

Comment

You are making it come alive. Rex
                                          Not to much further I can go until I get the markings package from Callie. That might be another few weeks. I might take it out for another test flight in the meantime, though.

Cheers

Davegee

Comment

Working...
                                          X