Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got around to repairing my P-47 after the motor ejected a few months back. I pieced the front fuselage back together, and used the motor board from the 1700mm Corsair to mount my few motor, an FMS 5060 300KV. After my experience (possible hub failure) I was reluctant to use the 1700mm P-47 Prop again. This time, I got an 18.6" 4 blade Varioprop, almost exactly on scale diameter. With an appropriately reinforced firewall, I'm expecting a great balance of scale appearance and some excess power for those large, scale sized loops. Also, I took the opportunity to reposition the motor a bit farther back this time, allowing me to leave the cowl stock with no trimming, and maintaining a scale spacing from the engine.

Comment

• Nice work! That prop looks massive with no wings or anything else to reference it by.

Comment

• Originally posted by WAY BAD View Post
        Nice work! That prop looks massive with no wings or anything else to reference it by.
        Thanks, I'll get some shots of it with the wings on once I paint the prop tips. Then I'll do one test flight to test out the power system before I start work on the new paint job and fillings the dents/wrinkles.

Comment

• DD.........can't wait to hear.
          And then you'll be King of the Macerators again if successful.;)
          My 550kV and 4S 6000 setup with the HSD Skyraider prop proved it's capabilities as being the top dog force majeure @ NEFI :Scared:
          Warbird Charlie
          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• OV 10,
            I picked up one of those Skyraider props. I'm thinking of trying with the stock motor and six cell power. I'll watt meter it first, but with the decrease in pitch, I think it should be close on draw to the stock set up.

It should be a bit slower, but have great vertical.

Comment

• I was planning on the re-maiden tonight, but the weather had other ideas.. So here are a few photos with the wings attached. I love this prop, really ought to to look the part once it is painted and decaled.

Comment

• Originally posted by Plastic_Aviator View Post
                Hey guys, coming from 3D Planes and the Durafly Warbirds, I noticed this bird flys much slower. In some videos I've seen this plane looks like it can pack a punch and some even describe "unlimited vertical", which I cant seem to even attempt without seeing it stall out. It just seems like Im not getting full power out of it. Even the guys at the field think its really slow and nimble, almost like a trainer or Cub plane.

Do you guys think im not programming the throttle correctly? I noticed on my DX7 that the throttle trim is in the middle, which is normal to me. Should this be higher or at his lowest value when configuring the throttle for the first time? I've never really had to fool with my throttle settings on any of my models.
                Sometimes the throttle calibration doesnt work. My friend uses a dx9 and went into throttle endpoints and put them all the way up and you could hear the power increase

Comment

• Originally posted by wvrailfan View Post
                  OV 10,
                  I picked up one of those Skyraider props. I'm thinking of trying with the stock motor and six cell power. I'll watt meter it first, but with the decrease in pitch, I think it should be close on draw to the stock set up.

It should be a bit slower, but have great vertical.
                  TiredIron did the Raider prop on the stock power plant. He indicated that it was slower than stock set up.
                  I'm suspect of the vertical but I'm sure he'll be able to let you know if it had "great" vertical ;)
                  Warbird Charlie
                  HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post

TiredIron did the Raider prop on the stock power plant. He indicated that it was slower than stock set up.
                    I'm suspect of the vertical but I'm sure he'll be able to let you know if it had "great" vertical ;)
                    6S will cook the motor (trust me on this), I'm running mine on 4S.
                    TiredIron Aviation
                    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post

6S will cook the motor (trust me on this), I'm running mine on 4S.
                      Are you still running the stock 460Kv?

Comment

Are you still running the stock 460Kv?
                        Yes, but I'm going to switch to the FMS 4258 550KV.
                        TiredIron Aviation

Comment

• Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post

Yes, but I'm going to switch to the FMS 4258 550KV.
                          Thanks.

I would expect the plane to be a little slower when going from an 8 pitch to a 6 pitch, but I was also thinking that vertical should improve going from a 14 inch to a 16 inch prop. What is your impression of the 16 X 6 X 4 with all other factors being equal?

Comment

Thanks.

I would expect the plane to be a little slower when going from an 8 pitch to a 6 pitch, but I was also thinking that vertical should improve going from a 14 inch to a 16 inch prop. What is your impression of the 16 X 6 X 4 with all other factors being equal?

It looks great ;) to be honest I haven't flown it in weeks.
                            TiredIron Aviation

Comment

• Man that prop is massive. How much ground clearance when she is setting level?

Comment

• Originally posted by WAY BAD View Post
                                Man that prop is massive. How much ground clearance when she is setting level?
                                It has around 1" or so of clearance. Probably a bit less with the struts compressed. Did 2 flights yesterday testing out the power system and it was awesome! unlimited vertical, and the most awesome prop noise I've heard from any of my planes. Advancing the throttle smoothly was fine, but when applying power rapidly, the prop slips on the shaft, even with the prop nut secured as tightly as possible with a wrench. I'm with going to try filing some light grooves in the motor/shaft backplate, and the washer to give it a better grip. The smooth finish from FMS really makes it easy for the prop to slip without the hex key.

Comment

• Cut a circular piece (disc) of sandpaper (220 or finer) and put between the prop and the adapter. That will prevent it from slipping.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thomas W View Post
                                    Cut a circular piece (disc) of sandpaper (220 or finer) and put between the prop and the adapter. That will prevent it from slipping.
                                    I'll give that a try next time that I'm flying, thanks!

Comment

• OK Guys. In serious mode about buying this plane, but I before I do, give me the straight scoop. Does this plane have enough power with the stock motor and prop? I've bought an FMS warbird before and had to upgrade the power system. I'm not looking for rocket speeds, but the 1450mm P-51 I have was just way too slow.

How about this plane? How do you rate it, especially for level speed and climb. Give me your thoughts please. Looking for honesty.

Thanks!

Comment

• For its size it hauls the mail
                                        AMA 1102566

Comment

• Originally posted by AZFlyer View Post
                                          OK Guys. In serious mode about buying this plane, but I before I do, give me the straight scoop. Does this plane have enough power with the stock motor and prop? I've bought an FMS warbird before and had to upgrade the power system. I'm not looking for rocket speeds, but the 1450mm P-51 I have was just way too slow.

How about this plane? How do you rate it, especially for level speed and climb. Give me your thoughts please. Looking for honesty.

Thanks!
                                          It will scoot right along with that new motor that FMS used.
                                          Just a shame that they used the 1400 Corsair prop which looks way stupid undersized but I'm sure you've had to seen the comments about that through out this thread.;)
                                          Warbird Charlie

Comment

Working...
                                          X