Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [QUOTE=paulrkytek;n356554]Photos of my Spitfire in the air and my Bearcat at warbirds day/carrier deck landing at DDMAC./QUOTE]

Paul, very realistic photos of your gorgeous Spitfire and Bearcat. Best, LB
    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post

Been working hard on a fix for my FMS P-47D Hairless Joe. Did trade out some parts from my other FMS P-47D I Wanted Wings, and both planes operate perfectly on the ground, anyway. Actually, the I Wanted Wings has always flown and operated great, and Hairless Joe works perfectly on the ground, with the only complaint last flight test was the left gear not retracting when commanded. Next time I get to fly it again, I'll see if all these problems have been ironed out.

I really enjoy flying these planes when they are working properly. They have a very realistic presence in the air and on the ground, too.
      I'm happy to report that I finally had good, calm wind weather to test the problem landing gear on my Hairless Joe FMS P-47D. After lots of testing, swapping out parts from one of my P-47s to the other to try and determine the source of the problem, and the fact that the gear cycled perfectly each and every time after that work, the moment of truth came this morning when I flipped the gear switch right after takeoff. Success! Came up just as it should. I did many passes, cycling the gear, to be sure I finally had a fix to this issue. Also, all the problems I had earlier with the left wing and intermittently losing signal to the flap, gear, and aileron on that wing (very scary) none of that has come back. Still a bit leery of those connectors on that wing, but, for now, they work just fine.

I'll give this plane a rest for awhile and go back to flying some of my jets and other planes that I have that have been "neglected" as of late.

Beautiful morning in northwest WYO this morning, and I snapped a pic of it after the flight with Heart Mountain in the distance.

davegee

Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpgadjusted.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	356620

Comment

• davegee beautiful photo of one good-lookin' "Jug". Bravo Zulu, Sir. Best, Steve
        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post
          This morning I finally had the chance to recreate the recovery of Alan Shepard's Freedom 7 Mercury Capsule with my RC UH-34 Choctaw over the water at the Southern Scale Helicopter Challenge. The helicopter was modeled and painted in the scheme of the real Mercury Redstone 3 recovery chopper, so it was tons of fun to actually sling load a capsule underneath it.
          That is Awesome!! What scale is the helicopter and the Freedom 7 spacecraft?? Were you actually able to hook the cable onto the spacecraft somehow while it was floating on the water, or did you do that before the flight and flew it down to the water before pulling it up? Either way, very well done! I remember that paint scheme of the retrieval helicopter through videos and photos of the event back in 1961.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
            davegee beautiful photo of one good-lookin' "Jug". Bravo Zulu, Sir. Best, Steve
            Thanks, Steve. It took some effort, but whatever was going on with it the past couple weeks seems to be settled down, now.

Cheers

davegee

Comment

This morning I finally had the chance to recreate the recovery of Alan Shepard's Freedom 7 Mercury Capsule with my RC UH-34 Choctaw over the water at the Southern Scale Helicopter Challenge. The helicopter was modeled and painted in the scheme of the real Mercury Redstone 3 recovery chopper, so it was tons of fun to actually sling load a capsule underneath it.
              Very Cool! Thankfully it wasn't the reenactment of Gus Grissom's recovery.
              Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
              Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Did not get out over wend but thisarvo tuesday flew the p51,, no sighn of probs.. so i think that hard join btween fuse wing is troublesome. Made aileron part a loose floating wire.... got my new bats from china,, hrb 5000 50c 2 of them.. 120 grams lighter than 50 c 5000 heavy duty turnagy cool.... have fun

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post

That is Awesome!! What scale is the helicopter and the Freedom 7 spacecraft?? Were you actually able to hook the cable onto the spacecraft somehow while it was floating on the water, or did you do that before the flight and flew it down to the water before pulling it up? Either way, very well done! I remember that paint scheme of the retrieval helicopter through videos and photos of the event back in 1961.
                  Thanks! Both are roughly 1/14 Scale. I had the helicopter hooked up to the capsule prior to flight and then dipped it in the water before lifting it out. I tried some retrieval methods to pick it up the other way, but the empty oscillates too much to be of any use in a hover. Even when perfectly aligned over the capsule, the large 1” rare earth magnets (1 embedded in capsule, 1 on a puck at the end of the line) wouldn’t make contact no matter what I tried. So I settled for what I could reasonably complete.

Comment

Thanks! Both are roughly 1/14 Scale. I had the helicopter hooked up to the capsule prior to flight and then dipped it in the water before lifting it out. I tried some retrieval methods to pick it up the other way, but the empty oscillates too much to be of any use in a hover. Even when perfectly aligned over the capsule, the large 1” rare earth magnets (1 embedded in capsule, 1 on a puck at the end of the line) wouldn’t make contact no matter what I tried. So I settled for what I could reasonably complete.
                    Totally understand. There is a famous photo of a crewman (named Cox, if his helmet lettering is correct) hanging out over the open door and taking a long pole to help attach the hook onto the Freedom 7 Mercury spacecraft. Without a little man to help you there in your helicopter, it would be pretty tough to snag that spacecraft! Well done, nonetheless. I love how accurate your paint scheme you did for your helicopter, and just the "thinking outside the box" idea of simulating the retrieval of a famous Mercury spacecraft in 1961.

Cheers

davegee

Comment

• Another excellent flight on the King Twin!

Comment

• You should change your name to Smoothie Smooth Wiedman... :)

Comment

• Originally posted by jasmith41 View Post

You should change your name to Smoothie Smooth Wiedman... :)
                          "Wildman" suits my landing style much better (or better yet "Gear Cruncher"), anything but Smoothie Smooth!
                          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                          Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Anyone else noticed the slash in prices of about $50-$100? I guess the "off season" is almost upon us, but sure could use a new release or 2, especially from Flight Line that hasn't seen anything for several years since the Corsair!
                            Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

"Wildman" suits my landing style much better (or better yet "Gear Cruncher"), anything but Smoothie Smooth!
                              sorry - I've got a lock on "Gear-Cruncher'...

Comment

• After a flying hiatus, took the Skynetics Shrike out for a pack...

Shrike over Signal Peak 2022-09-27

Comment

• SHHH!!!! A certain person might say you hiding under a rock if you think Flightline hasn't release anything in years.

Comment

• Took my Shrike out for two sessions today. Two 2200 3S packs yielded just over an hour of airtime.

Me, my Skynetics Shrike, my field and Signal Peak in the background

Comment

• Put some flights on the AH1W today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8_nyXVbt0c

Comment

• Originally posted by sfcfury View Post
                                        Woohooo, glad to see you got her up and flying, looks sweet, wish you were closer, we could fly them together....

Comment

• I know DC! we need get those snakes up in the air together!

Comment

Working...
                                          X