X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got my Raptor!

I haven't completely unpacked, but it didn't take long to form my initial impressions. For all the naysayers who complained that Freewing/Motion "coulda done this" or "shoulda done that", they simply haven't seen the results, first-hand.

This model truly raises the bar on what can be considered "state of the art" for a foamie EDF. The paint job alone is amazing. Then you notice all the plastic reinforced places, or how nicely the waterslide decals have been applied.

No LED's? Unpainted rudder servos? Oh, "poor me." Really, how many postings were on those subjects alone? Lucky for me, I know which end of the paint brush to use... Clearly, decisions were made to spend money in other areas, which really set this apart, and still bring it in for a lower selling price than the (now fairly old) FMS 1700mm warbirds. And I think the design team made very good decisions on where to put their efforts.

I plan to take my time assembling this, as flying weather is marginal for the next few days, but can't wait to put her in the air.

Congrats to Alpha.Motion and the entire team that brought this great F-22 to production!

Comment

• Just a heads up, if you didn't know, second shipment is here and I got my shipping notice today!!! So all of you that are sitting on the fence if I should order or not, go for it, Now there are no preorder excuses, the PNP is in stock.

Comment

• Where do the aftermarket afterburner glow rings come from as pictured earlier? I haven't ordered this plane yet, still dithering on the F-22 vs the next WWII warbird to be released, whatever that might be. Hey George, what wheel did you replace the nose wheel with? Also wondering if there is a way to add nav lights without cutting allot of surface foam. Also hoping some body takes the canopy frame and uses it to make an operable canopy. Would have gladly payed more for these things or as upgrades.

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post
          Where do the aftermarket afterburner glow rings come from as pictured earlier?
          I'm not sure if which ones were pictured but Chris, "The RC Geek", makes some fantastic after burner LED rings: http://thercgeek.com/the-centerburner/

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom.MotionRC View Post

I'm not sure if which ones were pictured but Chris, "The RC Geek", makes some fantastic after burner LED rings: http://thercgeek.com/the-centerburner/
            Yes, these are the ones you want...they come with a controller which emulates the flicker as they come on and go off.
            TiredIron Aviation
            Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Where do the aftermarket afterburner glow rings come from as pictured earlier? I haven't ordered this plane yet, still dithering on the F-22 vs the next WWII warbird to be released, whatever that might be. Hey George, what wheel did you replace the nose wheel with? Also wondering if there is a way to add nav lights without cutting allot of surface foam. Also hoping some body takes the canopy frame and uses it to make an operable canopy. Would have gladly payed more for these things or as upgrades.
              The Freewing F-16/F-104 nose wheel.

60mm (2.55") x 17mm EVA Treaded Wheel for 4.2mm Axle from Freewing - W31212156 This product is used on the following Freewing aircraft: 90mm F-16C (main wheel)
              TiredIron Aviation
              Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Thanks for the info George. Do the vertical stabilizers also have leading protection? Also thanks to Tom for the info on the afterburner setup. They're out of stock 'til January. I asked them which one would work best for the Raptor or if they were making one specifically for the F-22.

Comment

• Motion RC customers in Europe,
                  Motion RC Europe has updated the arrival date of the Freewing F-22. The new arrival date is December 24. If you choose local pickup in the Netherlands you may be able to get your Raptor right before Christmas

Comment

• Originally posted by Bajora View Post
                    A friend and fellow EDF jet enthusiast at the local club, my pal Michael Troy, kindly captured a few flights of mine with his iPhone ... I edited down a couple quick minutes to share with those of you now getting on board with this one.

Watch for a full review, together with additional hi-res photos and video, coming soon in Model Aviation Magazine.

That sure was a SWEET landing. Well done.

Comment

• Hey rcjetdude and george, have you guys given any thought to outer gear doors, nav lights, or operable canopy? You both wrote the book on mods.....just wondering.

Comment

• Hey Brad, I will be adding nav lights, a center burner, operable canopy, 3D printed cockpit parts, a JHH 1/12 pilot bust, and outer gear doors when they become available. That is my plan anyway. I hope to maiden mine tomorrow up at George's as it is a TIA hangar day. I want to fly it stock before adding anything to see if I can notice any change in performance after I do. I have installed the receiver and a gyro, set all the throws, calibrated the ESC, checked the CG and set the gyro. It is all set. Sitting on the ground it has quite an impressive presence.

Comment

• On the 8s version, what is recommended for the Bec wire for redundancy. Plugged into a open port on the control box or into the receiver ?

Comment

• I’m guessing fate works for me, because I ordered my F22 2 days ago and it’s already shipped. I wanted to preorder for the first shipment, but my wife said, 40+ jets and Planes is plenty. She now knows, there is never a “plenty” when it comes to FE MRC EDF Jets. V1 Rotate...

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
                              Hey Brad, I will be adding nav lights, a center burner, operable canopy, 3D printed cockpit parts, a JHH 1/12 pilot bust, and outer gear doors when they become available. That is my plan anyway. I hope to maiden mine tomorrow up at George's as it is a TIA hangar day. I want to fly it stock before adding anything to see if I can notice any change in performance after I do. I have installed the receiver and a gyro, set all the throws, calibrated the ESC, checked the CG and set the gyro. It is all set. Sitting on the ground it has quite an impressive presence.
                              Steve, good luck on the maiden- I'm sure you'll have success! Mine is due to arrive Tuesday but will sit unopened 'till the 25th (c'mon Christmas!) It's winter here now any way so ... I have plans similar to yours but don't think I'll be doing the burner or nav lights as most of my flying is in bright sunlight so don't know if the time (and , frankly, cost), would be worthwhile. I would, however, like to do an opening belly weapons bay if there's room, as well as removable wing tanks. i have foam tanks that are close in length (18", measured from a 1/72 Raptor model I have) but aren't really "pointy" enough. At 2 ounces each though (glassed) the weight is right. Perhaps someone will print a set... (hint :)) I think I'll be painting up the bottom of the jet too- it's just light grey from what I've seen? I'd also love to experiment with LE flaps at some point, perhaps get an extra set of wings and start cutting- I'll bet with them deployed this baby could REALLY land slowly.
                              Anyway, looking forward to your flight report! :Cool:
                              Tom
                              P.S. Hi Brad!

Comment

• Hey Pogo, good to hear from you. I look forward to seeing your progress along with Steve and George on mods for this plane. I love the Raptor and have seen it fly numerous times at Reno Air races. However my first love is WWII Warbirds. I may get one after the first run hoping more parts and mods or upgrades become available. Merry Christmas to everyone and hope you all get R C stuff we crave.:)

Comment

Hey Pogo, good to hear from you. I look forward to seeing your progress along with Steve and George on mods for this plane. I love the Raptor and have seen it fly numerous times at Reno Air races. However my first love is WWII Warbirds. I may get one after the first run hoping more parts and mods or upgrades become available. Merry Christmas to everyone and hope you all get R C stuff we crave.:)
                                  Brad, I saw (for the first time actually) a couple of Raptors on the ground at the London, Ontario airshow last Sept.- half the U.S. Air Force was there! An A-10 pilot told me it may have had something to do with the offer of free (and Canadian!) beer LOL.
                                  Tom

Comment

• Alright, I am in! Time to get me an F22

Comment

• Welcome to Hobby Squawk EddyRC! And welcome to the "Raptor Pack".:Cool:

Comment

• Originally posted by MrSmoothie View Post
                                        Just got my Raptor!

I haven't completely unpacked, but it didn't take long to form my initial impressions. For all the naysayers who complained that Freewing/Motion "coulda done this" or "shoulda done that", they simply haven't seen the results, first-hand.

This model truly raises the bar on what can be considered "state of the art" for a foamie EDF. The paint job alone is amazing. Then you notice all the plastic reinforced places, or how nicely the waterslide decals have been applied.

No LED's? Unpainted rudder servos? Oh, "poor me." Really, how many postings were on those subjects alone? Lucky for me, I know which end of the paint brush to use... Clearly, decisions were made to spend money in other areas, which really set this apart, and still bring it in for a lower selling price than the (now fairly old) FMS 1700mm warbirds. And I think the design team made very good decisions on where to put their efforts.

I plan to take my time assembling this, as flying weather is marginal for the next few days, but can't wait to put her in the air.

Congrats to Alpha.Motion and the entire team that brought this great F-22 to production!

Thank you!! I can't explain how much I appreciate hearing this. I know Mark and Alpha and all the guys here do too. The amount of work that goes into these planes is huge and it is a labor of love for us. Many of us came from other industries where we made a lot more money but we made a career change because we love doing this. There is nothing better for me and the guys than to see people enjoying this plane. This is why we do this. Well, ok, we like flying them too. Yes, honey, I have to go fly this plane for work. I'll be home to help you with the kids later. lol. We love our job. Anyway, thank you for your support and thank you to all of you who ordered this!

Comment

• Fully assembled and ready to go but the weather has been lousy. I must say this is one of the nicest planes I have purchased in quite a while. All parts fit well and look really nice. Went together easily and needed a little help with the receiver which I got here on the Squawk and from a very good friend. Obviously a lot of work was done with the design, manufacture and production. It is truly outstanding and can't wait to see what you fellows come up with next. I'm sure it will be a winner.

Comment

Working...
                                          X