Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESCs are specifically designed for some voltage ranges.
    If FW's stock 150A ESC isn't rated for more than 8S, don't push it. Even if it doesn't fail in the first attempt, it won't be long before it does because components such as caps and mosfets won't be able to take it.

As for the motor, it probably will work but overheat very quickly. And when motors overheat they also tend to fail rather sooner than later. Magnets break or unglue, coils can melt and fry, etc.

Motors have a kv value, which is a speed constant. This is the link between your operating voltage and target rpms. System voltage times 'kv' gives an approximate of max rpm at full throttle for that particular motor running at that tension. Ofc, this is just an approximation and it will depend on things like load (propeller drag, etc).

So if you get an EDF with a 1600kv motor meant to turn at say, 50k rpms on 8S and hook it to a 10S battery (provided the ESC is designed to work with 10S), you will be aiming at 1600 x 3.7 x 10 = 60k rpms approximately. On modern EDFs with 9 to 12 blades, motor load grows VERY quickly. You may get away with murder on an EDF running a smaller blade count, but on a 12b system, 10k extra rpms are going to make the amps skyrocket, potentially destroying not just the motor, but also the batteries or even the ESCs. It may even cause enough heat to damage connectors and solder joints... so there's that too.

As for other paintjobs for the Raptor, someone around here had one with a starscream scheme I think...
    I have kept mine stock but given the canopy a golden tint to add to the scale effect :)

It's not visible all the time but when it hits the correct angle makes a very cool golden reflection (check minute 3:10 for instance):

Comment

• Originally posted by SDW2001 View Post
      It has the 150 amp speed control, but it will not run on 10s. Must be some sort of overvoltage protection. It turns on and you have control of the surfaces, but it will not throttle up. Thoughts?
      What is that 150A ESC rated for? If it's only rated for 8s, what would make you think it will work with 10S or 12S? To do that, you have to have an ESC that IS rated for up to 10S or 12S, regardless of what the amp rating is. I also have an 8S F-22. It flies great but I can tell you right now that it will not even run on 10S unless I change the ESC to one that is rated for 10S. As for the motor being able to take 10S even if you have the proper ESC, you'll know in just a few seconds. I ran a motor on 1 cell too many and it took about 10 seconds into the flight before a trail of smoke formed. The BEC still worked so I could land it but by the time it got on the ground, the interior was all burnt up anyway making the plane a throw away.
      Originally posted by SDW2001 View Post
      You know, I put aside what I perceived as your tone on the last post. I don’t appreciate it now. I am trying to gather information from several sources. By the way, I have several reputable and knowledgeable sources in the hobby who disagree with you.
      You're likely not going to appreciate my responses either, but .................................... Just saying you have "several reputable and knowledgeable sources" doesn't mean they are reputable and knowledgeable. I stayed at Motel 6 once but I tell people I stayed at the Hilton because I travel a lot and people think I know my standards. Doesn't mean a thing. It seems to me that you are NOT looking for peoples' thoughts. It's more like you are looking for someone to give you what you want to hear and to massage your beliefs. OK, good luck. And since you have so many reputable and knowledgeable sources at your disposal, I guess you don't need any "thoughts" from anyone here.

Comment

• Don’t take this the wrong way but you don’t really know hotels. I can tell by your example…

the only thing he has going for him is that he has a BEC rated to 10S

Comment

• Should I have said Motel 8?

Comment

• Awesome! Happy thanksgiving my friends!

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
              What is that 150A ESC rated for? If it's only rated for 8s, what would make you think it will work with 10S or 12S? To do that, you have to have an ESC that IS rated for up to 10S or 12S, regardless of what the amp rating is. I also have an 8S F-22. It flies great but I can tell you right now that it will not even run on 10S unless I change the ESC to one that is rated for 10S. As for the motor being able to take 10S even if you have the proper ESC, you'll know in just a few seconds. I ran a motor on 1 cell too many and it took about 10 seconds into the flight before a trail of smoke formed. The BEC still worked so I could land it but by the time it got on the ground, the interior was all burnt up anyway making the plane a throw away.

You're likely not going to appreciate my responses either, but .................................... Just saying you have "several reputable and knowledgeable sources" doesn't mean they are reputable and knowledgeable. I stayed at Motel 6 once but I tell people I stayed at the Hilton because I travel a lot and people think I know my standards. Doesn't mean a thing. It seems to me that you are NOT looking for peoples' thoughts. It's more like you are looking for someone to give you what you want to hear and to massage your beliefs. OK, good luck. And since you have so many reputable and knowledgeable sources at your disposal, I guess you don't need any "thoughts" from anyone here.
              Wow. Just…wow. I have been gathering different people’s opinions who have been in the hobby a long time. As I am returning to it after many years, I want to get as many opinions as possible. I just don’t know where you are getting this notion that I don’t want to hear opinions. I even thanked Evan for his opinion, even though he delivered it rudely.

I have spoken with folks who fly Bob Violet EDF’s, turbines, and more. One is a current US military drone pilot and superb RC pilot. He happens to be someone who thinks the motor will handle it. Others think it will heat up too much and not give much more performance. Still others think it will fry the motor. My plan is to err on the side of caution and upgrade both the EDF power system and ESC.

What I fail to understand is the ad hominem attacks when someone is asking legitimate questions. It’s as if the message was “no, stupid, it won’t work.” The immediate condescension and snark is really sad, and represents the worst in our hobby. I’m a member of two clubs and frequently visit a third in another geographic area. i’m happy to say that I’ve never been treated like this nomatter how many questions I asked.

Comment

• Sadly, many people on forums behave like that but don't let that intimidate you ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by SDW2001 View Post

Wow. Just…wow. I have been gathering different people’s opinions who have been in the hobby a long time. As I am returning to it after many years, I want to get as many opinions as possible. I just don’t know where you are getting this notion that I don’t want to hear opinions. I even thanked Evan for his opinion, even though he delivered it rudely.

I have spoken with folks who fly Bob Violet EDF’s, turbines, and more. One is a current US military drone pilot and superb RC pilot. He happens to be someone who thinks the motor will handle it. Others think it will heat up too much and not give much more performance. Still others think it will fry the motor. My plan is to err on the side of caution and upgrade both the EDF power system and ESC.

What I fail to understand is the ad hominem attacks when someone is asking legitimate questions. It’s as if the message was “no, stupid, it won’t work.” The immediate condescension and snark is really sad, and represents the worst in our hobby. I’m a member of two clubs and frequently visit a third in another geographic area. i’m happy to say that I’ve never been treated like this nomatter how many questions I asked.
                  You don't know and you don't understand is a function of your own mind. Noone has any control over these.
                  Rudely is just your perception of it. Factual and to the point may be someone else's.
                  "Bob Violet"? Am I supposed to know who that is? Means nothing to me. Name dropping is a trait of very insecure people.
                  "Attacks"? Well, again, that's your perception of it.
                  I'm a member of two clubs and visit TWO others. What's that got to do with any of this? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

It's the end of this for me. You will NOT be getting any further "thoughts" about anything you post henceforth. Totally pointless and achieves nothing. Good Bye.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                    You don't know and you don't understand is a function of your own mind. Noone has any control over these.
                    Rudely is just your perception of it. Factual and to the point may be someone else's.
                    "Bob Violet"? Am I supposed to know who that is? Means nothing to me. Name dropping is a trait of very insecure people.
                    "Attacks"? Well, again, that's your perception of it.
                    I'm a member of two clubs and visit TWO others. What's that got to do with any of this? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

It's the end of this for me. You will NOT be getting any further "thoughts" about anything you post henceforth. Totally pointless and achieves nothing. Good Bye.
                    You can refuse to respond, but I just wanted to laugh at the fact that you don’t know what a Bob Violet jet is and accused me of “name dropping.” 🤣🤣. It’s a high end jet. I only mentioned it because the kind of people that fly them aren’t exactly amateurish.

I’m sorry you’re so angry. I guess the mere fact that I asked a question and referenced other points I’ve gotten infuriated you. As for my part, I actually wish you the best.

Comment

• Please, if you want to go 10 or 12S do it right. Buy a BEC, ESC rated for the voltage and a fan/ motor combo that will handle it. When I had my F-22 on 10 and 12S I had a Castle Talon HV ESC with built in BEC that was good to 12S and a Jetfan edf unit with a HET 1200kV motor. I ended up with it 8S with the Jetfan and HET 1680kV. I was going for a slightly lighter, more 3D type set up as I have TVs on mine. The JF/ HET is a bit more powerful and efficient than the stock 8S but I can understand the draw of 10 and 12. There is a JP fan 12S set up that works well too.

While my personality may not be great I have been flying for 55 years, was an electronics engineer and worked electronics in the US Navy. I also, for a short time was an external pilot for the Navys Pioneer drone project. And I know who Bob and Frank are.

Happy Thanksgiving

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                        Please, if you want to go 10 or 12S do it right. Buy a BEC, ESC rated for the voltage and a fan/ motor combo that will handle it. When I had my F-22 on 10 and 12S I had a Castle Talon HV ESC with built in BEC that was good to 12S and a Jetfan edf unit with a HET 1200kV motor. I ended up with it 8S with the Jetfan and HET 1680kV. I was going for a slightly lighter, more 3D type set up as I have TVs on mine. The JF/ HET is a bit more powerful and efficient than the stock 8S but I can understand the draw of 10 and 12. There is a JP fan 12S set up that works well too.

While my personality may not be great I have been flying for 55 years, was an electronics engineer and worked electronics in the US Navy. I also, for a short time was an external pilot for the Navys Pioneer drone project. And I know who Bob and Frank are.

Happy Thanksgiving
                        Thanks, Evan, that is excellent advice and consistent with what I heard from my main club’s VP yesterday. He didn’t think it would fry per se, but it would get really hot even with a HV ESC and have minimal performance gain. I’m just coming back to the hobby after a 25 year hiatus (flew glow fuel then) so I’ve really dug into the electric side. Thanks for your help. Happy thanksgiving.

Comment

• Ha, yesterday I flew my FAA compliance aircraft, an almost 30 year old glow control line Ringmaster! I'm getting too old for that!

I do still have a bunch of glow RC but most, and all my gas have been converted to electric.

Comment

• SDW, here is a really good, great deal on a really good system.

HET 90mm 12s setup - RC Groups

Comment

• What alternative EDF do you guys recommend for some more power? Like 10% more power or more would be nice. Want to stay on 6s.

Comment

• Well, I'm late to the 8s F-22 party but I've done my homework! Done pretty much all the recommended mods structurally and beefed up the elevator servos... after getting it programmed enough for a maiden. Then I had to "fix" the right Elevator by reversing it to function properly... forgetting about my flaps>Elev mix. Between no rifgt elevator working, working opposite direction, not working at all with flaps but would work by itself, and insult to injury about 3 hours of YouTube videos and troubleshooting to figure it out (add in I'm setting this all up on my new iX20 radio... literally second plane on the thing). WHAT A LEARNING CURVE. But... it now functions properly. Should be confident enough for a maiden flight on Thursday. We'll see how it goes. Been flying the last 15 years pretty much all helis, drones and planes. Fun sized, aerobatic, 3D, scale and giant scale. All disciplines. This is the first official EDF/Jet. Game on!

Comment

• She’s a easy plane to fly as EDFs go, good luck!

Comment

• Could I ask what battery packs folks are using on the 8S version? My 6000 4s ( 100C Yowoo Graphine ) packs make her fly like a pig.

Comment

• I usually use a Power Hobby 5200 50C 6S and a Coddar 5200 60C 2S. I also use a few different 6000-6200 (Hobby Star 6200 50C, ESpeed 6200 50C or Socokin 6000 60C) and a CHLn6200 30C 2S.

Comment

• Originally posted by dsmithwc04 View Post
                                        Could I ask what battery packs folks are using on the 8S version? My 6000 4s ( 100C Yowoo Graphine ) packs make her fly like a pig.
                                        I use a combination .............................................
                                        1. One HRB 6000mah, 6s and one HRB 6000mah, 2s in series.
                                        2. Twin HRB 5000mah, 4s in series.

Comment

• Thanks for the info. Perhaps I need to move my CG back to assist with rotating.

Comment

Working...
                                          X