Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Guys, I got my hinges last night and started getting the left wing spoiler attached. I'm still waiting on the control horn. I thought I had them in my order, I mistakenly didn't order them, so I ordered them last night as well as a full set of wing servos for the stock wings I have. Hopefully this weekend I'll have bother spoilers done and the full fuse painted.

Dougcarr73, I am going to have to model setups for it in my Horus X10. ​I'm using a S8R RX setup with Delta Config for the Tailerons and Rudder. My outputs on this RX will be Throttle, Taileron Left, Taileron Right, Rudder, Gear, Wing sweep and Steering. Then I'll have an X8R RX for main wing control sufaces, Left Aileron Or Spoiler, Left Flap, Right Aileron or Spoiler and Right Flap.
    I will also be using Air speed sensor and two Battery cell sensors so I can log and use call outs for important information. I'm hoping with time to gather enough data on the airspeed that I can use it for wing sweep in sweep mode and also landing. I'm going to have it call out every 2 seconds while on final. I under stand there will be a lag but with enough use age over time I should build up a pretty good predictability with air speed while landing.

Model 1 will be with Stock wing (Aileron and Flaps)
    ​ and use Stock setup and RCgeeks full span flaps with flaperons (Flight mode select-able) Basically My last setup.
    Model 2 will be with Spoiler and full span flap wings and be programed with Scale setup.

Gravy

Comment

• Does anyone know if there planning on a V2 anytime soon?

With the new in-runner EDF's that are soon to be released. I would think after 7+ years that they would be revamping the F-14.

I've been holding off on buying one for some time with the hope that they would announce a V2.

Alpha, it is time for overhaul. I have money burning a hole in my pant pocket.LOL

Comment

• You could just buy an ARF+ and put whatever drivetrain in it that is the biggest and bestest at the time.

Comment

• TGoelzer, What xviper wrote is spot-on. I bought the Freewing F-14 as an ARF+ and bought the MiG-29 9-blade EDF/ESC setup for it. Chris Wolfe (The RC Geek) made a couple ewtoob vids adding the Freewing A-10 EDF/ESC Setup to his Freewing Tomcat. The point is, if you want to build one sooner rather than later, there is a precedent for a power upgrade. Costs to do an ARF+ would most likely be close to an upgrade total cost. Just my $00.02 USD. Best, LB
          I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
          ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
            TGoelzer, What xviper wrote is spot-on. I bought the Freewing F-14 as an ARF+ and bought the MiG-29 9-blade EDF/ESC setup for it. Chris Wolfe (The RC Geek) made a couple ewtoob vids adding the Freewing A-10 EDF/ESC Setup to his Freewing Tomcat. The point is, if you want to build one sooner rather than later, there is a precedent for a power upgrade. Costs to do an ARF+ would most likely be close to an upgrade total cost. Just my $00.02 USD. Best, LB
            I liked your post for the word in red. I've never heard it called that but it is soooo fitting. For a couple of years now, I've have hated what they think I might like and recommend every possible piece of garbage to my home screen. I diligently go to each one and tell them to "don't recommend" this channel. Now, I've got them down to only a couple of recommendations per session. Now, if only I can get them to stop putting the "ad" vids up that I can't seem to remove even though they have a "remove" button. I have no reason to go to UTube for music videos and they keep sending those to me. I've got YouTube music app for that.

Back to the F-14 ..........................
            As for the powertrain for the F-14, at the time, I put in the highest static thrust EDFs that I could find at RC Castle and those just happened to be 12-blade ones. I've never regretted it and to this day, even with the latest super-duper high zoot EDFs that Freewing has introduced, the increase in thrust doesn't make me want to change. The only thing I wish they had back then, were thrust reversing ESCs. I will take another look at this after I've flown the plane a few more times this coming season. If I get real good at planting it near the beginning of the runway and have it slow down enough before the end for the turn, I'll save some money on the reversing ESCs. I also have more robust main retracts sitting on the table just in case the stock ones grenade.

Comment

• Gravy, wow! Sounds like you've got it all figured out with your Horus X10. I did quite a bit of mixing with mine as well; however, instead of going up with the spoilers, I went down with the full span flaps. Look closely at the trailing edge of my wings from flap to aileron and you'll see the full span flap engaged. My buddy was flying a small drone and was struggling to keep up, so I kept it partially dirty to go slow enough for him to capture these shots. Ever since I made this upgrade my landings have been extremely controllable and the rollout is much shorter. I consistently stop before nearing the end of the runway. Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYttBK_D2Ac

Xviper, ​​​​​​you are spot on with respect to the EDF upgrades. I installed the FMS 3665-2000kv motors and I can go vertical after takeoff. Night and day difference. The FMS motors are a tad bit wider in diameter, so I had to get out my dremel tool sander and shave away some foam to get the perfect fit. It was soooo worth it.

Comment

• I too put FMS 3665 2000 units in mine along with the MiG 29 ESCs. Plenty of performance.

Comment

• Did some more work on her tonight. Decided to just shoot a heavy breathing video for update.
                  I’m happy with the progress so far.

Gravy

Comment

• Update pics, base is all done just some small areas to paint left.
                    back of engines that show before the nozzles.
                    area that is where the wings site when swept.
                    leading edge of wings.
                    then It’s clear coats and decals.

Gravy
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Gravythe clown View Post
                      Update pics. Gravy
                      GC, love the 'greys' and all the pre-shading work. Bravo Zulu, Sir. Best, LB
                      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Thank you sir, laters on layers on layers. I still got a bit but I’m happy with it so far.

Gravy

Comment

• Got my second load out set today. Now I can have her set with full load out.
                          also got my left wing spoiler complete.

need to paint the back Phoenix rail section to match the front and add some wooden braces to secure the back section.

Gravy
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Spoiler Video.

Gravy

Comment

• Elbee
                              Elbee commented
                              Editing a comment
                              GtC, Very Nicely Done, Sir. Smooth operation, scale appearance and function. Bravo Zulu. Best, LB

• Got it decaled and clear coated. I use a combination satin and matte. I’m happy with it and will start now on the reassembling. I still need to finish the spoiler wings. That will be my project this weekend.

Gravy
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Exceptional!

Comment

Got it decaled and clear coated. I use a combination satin and matte. I’m happy with it and will start now on the reassembling. I still need to finish the spoiler wings. That will be my project this weekend.

Gravy
                                GtC, What Evan D said and I'll add 'stunning/menacing. Best, LB
                                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Thank you guys. The pressure will be on for the first couple flights. Even though she’s an oldie, the hands will be shacking on the first landing. Lol

Gravy

Comment

Thank you guys. The pressure will be on for the first couple flights. Even though she’s an oldie, the hands will be shacking on the first landing. Lol

Gravy
                                    I can do the maiden for you buddy, its not mine so I won't be shaking one bit................ You got his one Gravy, she will fly perfect, you watch.

Comment

• I’ll bring it down to your house, we’ll shoot the new bridge. 🤣

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                        Do you know if the spoilers will help decrease the landing roll of this model? My biggest problem with this plane is it rolls for a long distance before it slows down enough to turn. Many times, it just rolls off the end of the runway and slams into the grassy lip at the end, damaging the nose gear if the speed is too high.
                                        The long landing rollout is part of the "breaking" system LOL. The spoilers probably won't help much to slow the plane down on landing but that's a cool detail. I want to try adding BRAKES to mine. I think that should help avoid the dreaded grass lip at the end of the runway. I've had the same problem...
                                        Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

Working...
                                        X