X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
    I doubt it. I think if people are reporting a roll (and I've not seen these reports), it could be that they haven't trim it properly for each wing configuration. One way to tell for sure, is to trim the plane (wing out) so that it flies "hands off" at medium throttle. Once trimmed, slow down to near stall speed and suddenly throttle up to max. If it rolls, that might be due to motor rotation.
    The Eflite F-14 utilizes trimming tied to flight modes for each wing position. This is something that I first heard of when Evan posted it. I was going to follow suit for next season on my FW F-14. Makes a world of sense since we can't be sure that there isn't a bit of wing irregularity (warpage, sweep deployment, control surfaces, etc.) from one side to the other.
    PS. Mine rolled left before fully trimmed.
    The spectrum tx can have at least 5 flight modes. Different trims of all control services. I use three flap settings and wing swept and extended.

Comment

• It has 80A ESCs. You'll want to upgrade to at least 100A.

Robbie, I do too.

Comment

• Originally posted by marshallfamily@yahoo.com View Post
        Will the current ESCs handles the FMS 2100KV motor upgrade or do the ESC's need to be upgraded as well?
        I put the MiG 29 ESCs and BEC in mine with the FMS 2100kV fans.

Comment

• Originally posted by TAG-teacher View Post
          Will the current ESCs handles the FMS 2100KV motor upgrade or do the ESC's need to be upgraded as well?
          Unfortunately, you'll need to upgrade to 100a ESCs. I ordered the ESCs for the MIG-29 and replaced the 80s. If you fly conservatively, you may be able to keep the 80s, but I actually hadn't tested that setup. Everything I've seen shows the 100amp ESCs are the way to go... I believe it was pulling around 96amps at full power.

Comment

• You guys had me second guessing what I did for my F-14. I upgraded to the FMS Pro fans myself but I couldn't remember if I had replaced the ESCs. Took a look and I'm relieved to see that I did put 100's in there.

Comment

• Hi Guys, I have just completed a similar modification to a new F14 (my second) I have fittted XFLY 80mm 3280-KV2200 12 blade fans and Predator 100A ESCs. Haven't flown it yet but it certainly has a lot of thrust on the ground. I recently upgraded my FMS BAE Hawk using the same fan unit and it sounds absolutely great in the air and has superb performance. A friend has a new Hawk which has the upgrade FMS 2100 fan unit and they perform pretty much the same. I cant wait to see how the F14 flies on two of these fans! I use ZEEE 5200mAh 100C 6S lipos now although I prevously used HRB 5000mAh 50C 6S.

Comment

• By the way I have a Spektrum flight pack current sensor fitted and these fans draw up to 120A peak with fully charged batteries but this is ok with the 100A Predators.

Comment

• Originally posted by FAREASTRADER View Post
                  Hi Guys, I have just completed a similar modification to a new F14 (my second) I have fittted XFLY 80mm 3280-KV2200 12 blade fans and Predator 100A ESCs. Haven't flown it yet but it certainly has a lot of thrust on the ground. I recently upgraded my FMS BAE Hawk using the same fan unit and it sounds absolutely great in the air and has superb performance. A friend has a new Hawk which has the upgrade FMS 2100 fan unit and they perform pretty much the same. I cant wait to see how the F14 flies on two of these fans! I use ZEEE 5200mAh 100C 6S lipos now although I prevously used HRB 5000mAh 50C 6S.
                  You'll enjoy the XFLY. They will push your F14 to new heights when compared to the stock fans.

On your next 80mm upgrade try out the FMS 3665 2000KV motor. It will give you a smidge more thrust and flight time. Here are the specs for comparison:

XFLY-MODEL GALAXY X8 80MM 12 BLADE 2200KV: Static Thrust: Around 3400g (25V, 98A)
                  FMS 80MM V2 12 BLADE PRO 3280 2100KV: Static Thrust: Around 3400g (25V, 98A)
                  FMS 80MM V3 12 BLADE PRO 3665 2000KV: Static Thrust: Around 3450g (25V, 96A)

Comment

• For all of your tomcat guys.. check out this link , its full Jeti programing but might help you with other radios..

Comment

• Well tried to find the post on FB where the guy posted his F-14 build, but could not find it again.
                      Anyway he posted adding Spoilers so, I just had to follow suit.
                      im still waiting on hinges and need to finish shaping one of the spoilers, but they are coming along nicely.
                      I bought a second set of wings, this way I can go either way.
                      The refresh is coming along nicely too. Prim coat is all laid down and ready for weathering and topcoats.
                      going Grime Reapers.

Gravy
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Gravythe clown View Post
                        Well tried to find the post on FB where the guy posted his F-14 build, but could not find it again.
                        im still waiting on hinges and need to finish shaping one of the spoilers, but they are coming along nicely.
                        The refresh is coming along nicely too. Prim coat is all laid down and ready for weathering and topcoats.
                        going Grime Reapers.

Gravy
                        What is the intended function of these spoilers on the model? How are they used on the real F-14?

Comment

• There are no ailerons a the real F-14. Only spoilers and full span flaps. Spoilers are used as ailerons when wing are out and part of the breaking system after touch down.

Gravy

Comment

There are no ailerons a the real F-14. Only spoilers and full span flaps. Spoilers are used as ailerons when wing are out and part of the breaking system after touch down.

Gravy
                            Do you know if the spoilers will help decrease the landing roll of this model? My biggest problem with this plane is it rolls for a long distance before it slows down enough to turn. Many times, it just rolls off the end of the runway and slams into the grassy lip at the end, damaging the nose gear if the speed is too high.

Comment

• That I don’t know, but plan to find out. I will be eventually setting it up so after I land I can flip switch which will put both spoilers up. That with the already full span flaps, I should help.

it’s going to be a bit though before I get to that point.
                              first o need to finish the build.
                              get it all trimmed out and flying with my stock wings with stock setup. Then I’ll go back to my setup like RCgeek uses. Up ailerons only and full span flaps with Flaperons.
                              then after I get that flying hood I’ll switch out to the full span flaps and spoiler wings.

I’m also adding function Pitot tube in the nose for actual airspeed, which after testing I plan on using it to sweep the wings in and out based on speed.

lots to do still but I’m getting there.

Gravy

Comment

• Got some airbrushing done finally. Got a lot more to do but it’s coming along.

Gravy
                                Attached Files

Comment

Got some airbrushing done finally. Got a lot more to do but it’s coming along.

Gravy
                                  Lookin' seriously good, GC. Best, LB
                                  I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                  ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Thunk you.
                                    Actually I'm always surprised how it comes out after this part, because really as it is right now it looks like crap. LOL It's what I like about weathering is how it all starts to come together as you start laying down the different tones.

Gravy

Comment

• Gravy does great work, I have seen his projects in person, he did an awesome job on my big Roban 800 Cayuse that I sold.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                        Do you know if the spoilers will help decrease the landing roll of this model? My biggest problem with this plane is it rolls for a long distance before it slows down enough to turn. Many times, it just rolls off the end of the runway and slams into the grassy lip at the end, damaging the nose gear if the speed is too high.
                                        Great work, Gravy. Here's a tutorial that helps setup spoilerons for those of us sans your modification skills. Xviper, spoilers will reduce the roll out of the F-14. Spoilers are similar to flaps, but in the opposite direction. When used correctly your landings will be under power, more precise, and consistent. Very nice upgrade:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Well tried to find the post on FB where the guy posted his F-14 build, but could not find it again.
                                          going Grime Reapers.

Gravy
                                          Very cool mod... well done!

Comment

Working...
                                          X