X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Carlbrainiac View Post
    Anyone else noticed that the velcro strap for the battery is very short. Can only just get it round my 4500 but it wont go round my 5000. Havent tried round the admiral 6000 yet. Gonna have to put a longer one in.
    I use a RoaringTop 6250 in mine and the strap is plenty long enough. Maybe yours got a shorter strap by accident.
    Pat

Comment

• Y'all realize this is one of the most active topics on Hobbysquawk lately?

Freewing seems to have a thing for battery straps that are too short. The one that came with my 64mm A-10 was barely long enough to go around the smallest sized battery recommended for the plane, and that was even before installing some Velcro on the battery tray to prevent any forward-back sliding of the battery. I've replaced the battery strap.

Comment

Anyone else noticed that the velcro strap for the battery is very short. Can only just get it round my 4500 but it wont go round my 5000. Havent tried round the admiral 6000 yet. Gonna have to put a longer one in.
        I picked up these from Amazon. they are tough and plenty long enough for all your batteries. I have also, been installing 2 straps in my planes because I do not use Velcro on my batteries. I really like the rubber pads supplied by MRC. The battery will not move at all.
        Rich

Comment

• Carl, nice crisp lines! Well done...As for the battery strap, yes it most definitely is too short. It barely covers my Admiral Carbon 5100 and RT 5500's...Freewing really needs to increase their battery strap lengths! Cost me an earlier version F-18 a few years back while performing an inverted high speed pass...Battery flew out and nearly struck me at impressive speed!
          My YouTube RC videos:
          https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• I have a roll of this 3/4' wide 2-sided velcro strap:

You can cut it to any length you need, and it holds very strong. Great stuff!
            Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by Hoomi View Post
              Y'all realize this is one of the most active topics on Hobbysquawk lately?

Freewing seems to have a thing for battery straps that are too short. The one that came with my 64mm A-10 was barely long enough to go around the smallest sized battery recommended for the plane, and that was even before installing some Velcro on the battery tray to prevent any forward-back sliding of the battery. I've replaced the battery strap.
              Hoomi it's not just FW, it's all of them. I guess that extra 2" of Velcro would make them loose money on the planes. But I'm like most I just buy my own Velcro. Home Depot always seems to have a good stock. So my point! Why bother putting it in the kit if it's obviously too short. They should just save themselves additional time and money and just ignore it. LOL

Woody

Comment

• Thanks for your kind comments guys. I'm so pleased with the result. I couldn't believe my luck when I didnt have a single bleed anywhere. But then I did spend the best part of 2 hours masking it up. I've always been told painting is all in the preparation and in this case all that time really paid off. Just hope it lasts. Have to admit I'm a little nervous with someones comment earlier in the post mentioning what did I do before the paint to help prevent gatoring. Was I supposed to put some filler on or something? Guess I'll just have to cover the plane when it's not flying. Then again i live in the uk so consistent hot sun shine is quite a rarity lol.

Comment

• One thing I would do to help protect the paint is to add a clear coat to it. What I do on all of mine is use Testors Dullcote (not sure what you would have available in the UK). This helps protect any weathering I do, and knocks the shine off the decals (and helps protect them too). I have the Blue Angels version, so I did a gloss coat on it for the same reasons.
                  Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
                    One thing I would do to help protect the paint is to add a clear coat to it. What I do on all of mine is use Testors Dullcote (not sure what you would have available in the UK). This helps protect any weathering I do, and knocks the shine off the decals (and helps protect them too). I have the Blue Angels version, so I did a gloss coat on it for the same reasons.
                    Yeah I will be doing that. Just the other guy specifically mentioned that I should've put something on before the paint to prevent gatoring...

Comment

Score 1 for beginners luck lol.
                      Looks amazing - brilliant job!
                      Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• Thank you. Just gluing the antennas and Peto tubes on now then decals then clear and then hopefully maiden tomorrow. 😁

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
                          So I reduced my throws today on roll from 60% to 45% and it was MUCH better. Unfortunately this jet's roll out is crazy on pavement landings... I really wish it had brakes...I had to turn it towards the end where the parking lot curves or it was going to hit a light pole or crash into a berm. By doing so, I lost visual and it plowed into a cement curb busting up the nose gear mount. The approach didn't seem or feel fast at all like it looks in the video. It's fixable but AGGRAVATING!! lol!! Oh well, at least otherwise she's relatively unscathed. I really need to find a nice club to fly. This flying at the school is for the birds.

I’d say if you have the potential to mix your ailerons and use as speed brake coupled with up elevators ( like on the F-35), you might be able to slow it down a lot quicker.

Comment

• Well that's all the decals on finally. Just need to spray on the clear coat then get to bed and hopefully maiden tomorrow. 😁

Will add more ordinance later. Wouldn't maiden it with all that under the wings anyways.

Oh and I fitted some new longer battery straps. Should be all good now.

Really pleased with how this has come out.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Good luck with the maiden.

Comment

• Thank you.

Comment

• Carl that truly turned out "Factory Fresh" my man, well done! papa thanks for the tip and welcome to Hobby Squawk!
                                  My YouTube RC videos:
                                  https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Didn't chance the maiden today. We only had a 7 mph wind and it was 90 degree cross wind most of the time. I struggled to slow my Avanti down and we only have a small field so figured I'd rather take it home in one piece and try again another day. Not worth risking it after waiting 3 months for it and doing all that work on it

Comment

• Comment

Didn't chance the maiden today. We only had a 7 mph wind and it was 90 degree cross wind most of the time. I struggled to slow my Avanti down and we only have a small field so figured I'd rather take it home in one piece and try again another day. Not worth risking it after waiting 3 months for it and doing all that work on it
                                        Good call!
                                        Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• Such a pain though. Was really looking forward to getting her airborne.
                                          Hopefully will have better luck on Sunday.

Comment

Working...
                                          X