X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
    I essentially made the strips using micro LED's and 3/16" square Styrene tube. What I may do it just create a thread specifically for them. I took quite a few pictures along the way. They are not the easiest things to make and the wingtip/missile rail lights were the biggest challenge. They light up on both sides top and bottom.
    A separate thread would be sweet. I imagine it would be worth the time and effort for others to learn from your methods.

My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Luqman Khan View Post
      JLambCWU this is running stock 9 blade fan with 6s batteries??? Very impressive performance especially that vertical on take off .. in fact way way better than some of the other 6s reviews out there.

Yes, stock 9blade 6S.

Pushing it with 70C 5500mah Roaring Top batteries from RCjetwerx.com though.

They make a big difference when you’re pushing big 90mm motor/fans.

Huge boost on my Thunderbird running the 1835 inrunner!

Comment

• So this evening I have been busy painting up my new canopy after losing the first.

I have also been wiring in a ubec to power my centre burner. Could some one just confirm where I have the jumper set on the ubec that I will get 8 volts and no more than 8 volts. Instructions aren't particularly clear.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Carlbrainiac View Post
          So this evening I have been busy painting up my new canopy after losing the first.

I have also been wiring in a ubec to power my centre burner. Could some one just confirm where I have the jumper set on the ubec that I will get 8 volts and no more than 8 volts. Instructions aren't particularly clear.
          In your picture it looks like you have it set to 12 volts. Move your jumper over to have it positioned on the 8 volt block. Hopefully someone else chimes in to verify..
          In other words, you have 3 prongs there. The top one is your positive 12 volt one. The bottom one is your positive 8 volt one, and the middle is the common ground.

Comment

• Originally posted by hilldebrandt View Post

In your picture it looks like you have it set to 12 volts. Move your jumper over to have it positioned on the 8 volt block. Hopefully someone else chimes in to verify..
            In other words, you have 3 prongs there. The top one is your positive 12 volt one. The bottom one is your positive 8 volt one, and the middle is the common ground.
            Yes thanks you are correct. Also I was being a moron. Realised all I have to do is put a volt meter on it to check it. Lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Carlbrainiac View Post

Yes thanks you are correct. Also I was being a moron. Realised all I have to do is put a volt meter on it to check it. Lol
              I have been there my friend...lol. On more than one occasion too !

Comment

• Just as well I checked otherwise I may have had a real after burner lol

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post

I essentially made the strips using micro LED's and 3/16" square Styrene tube. What I may do it just create a thread specifically for them. I took quite a few pictures along the way. They are not the easiest things to make and the wingtip/missile rail lights were the biggest challenge. They light up on both sides top and bottom.
                  +1 on this! Would love to see how you did it. I have been looking for a set of these lights myself.

Comment

• I looked at JanMB's page on converting his A-10 to turbine. Very cool project, and the same for the F-18 conversion.

Looking up the engines that Jan used in the Warthog, though, I have to say, I couldn't imagine doing this kind of conversion. I think I'd be too scared to fly something that I had that much money invested in! My hat's off to both of you (and anyone else flying real turbines) for having the confidence to put those birds in the air!

Comment

• I just received my gray F/A-18C Hornet in the mail today and plan to do the Navy's VFA-94 Mighty Shrikes livery on it. I saw Youtube vidoes discussing 3D printing for the various armaments and wing loads and would like to find out more and get copies of the files if they exist. Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hoomi View Post
                        I looked at JanMB's page on converting his A-10 to turbine. Very cool project, and the same for the F-18 conversion.

Looking up the engines that Jan used in the Warthog, though, I have to say, I couldn't imagine doing this kind of conversion. I think I'd be too scared to fly something that I had that much money invested in! My hat's off to both of you (and anyone else flying real turbines) for having the confidence to put those birds in the air!
                        Thanks!

The anxiety for flying something really expensive goes away over time. Besides, when putting turbines in a foamie, especially something like the A-10, the changes of having the engines destroyed in the case of a crash are very, very small. So in many ways, it's better to have the value invested in something that won't break easily, than in a fibreglass model where a crash means a total loss of value.

The A-10 is sitting at 80 flights with turbines this far. Currently on a bit of a break to avoid growing tired of it.
                        Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• I have a brand new, still in the box, base grey F-18 i’d like to sell. PM me if interested and I will send pictures. It’s still in the shipping box and hasn’t been opened. I’m located in NW Ohio. This will likely need to be a local-pickup item due to shipping costs.

Comment

• JM, Welcome to "Hobby Squawk". The folks here are great and I trust you will you find a buyer quickly. Best, LB
                            I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                            ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Jmiracle View Post
                              I have a brand new, still in the box, base grey F-18 i’d like to sell. PM me if interested and I will send pictures. It’s still in the shipping box and hasn’t been opened. I’m located in NW Ohio. This will likely need to be a local-pickup item due to shipping costs.
                              Welcome to Hobby Squawk! Glad you are here! You may also want to post this under Classified and Vendors For Sale or Trade. Good luck! Jerry

Comment

• Well today was interesting. I took mine out and was taxiing when suddenly the flaps started "flapping" up and down very fast like it was possessed! In all of my RC years I have never seen anything like it! No clue if it is the BB or servos or what?! So I unplugged the flaps from the rx and flew without them. Ugh, gremlins!!
                                My YouTube RC videos:
                                https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• I had flights 2 and 3 of mine today. This time I used my Admiral 6000 packs which gave me the power I was lacking on my maiden so very happy there. Also gave pretty good duration. But of course at the cost of weight so really struggled getting her off the deck. We just have a very small and very bumpy patch.
                                  The canopy stayed on this time which was good after I added some very strong magnets.
                                  I did break the nose leg strut again on the third flight and the glued joint failed on the nose gear mounting in the nose so I applied more foam tac there. Was quite a heavy landing on the third flight. Just slowed her up too much. Is really strange to me. I'm used to big heavy models coming in hot but this thing just stops and is super easy to high alfa.
                                  Was very pleased with the second flight landing though.

Watch this space for the videos... I was fortunate enough to have my fellow club member of essential rc on youtube come down to film for me.
                                  No hat cams here. Proper video 😁 Just gutted I forgot to connect up my centre burner.

I'm sure he will film it for me again at some point though. Hopefully when I'm more used to the model. Plus have ordered some lighter Admiral 5000s now in the hope she'll get off easier.

Anyways will post the video links as soon as he uploads them 👍

Comment

• This is a really bad thing to do, unplugging the servos allows the wind/ aerodynamic forces to push a surface with catastrophic results. If you can fix it in place that's okay but don't just unplug it.

Originally posted by Aros View Post
                                    Well today was interesting. I took mine out and was taxiing when suddenly the flaps started "flapping" up and down very fast like it was possessed! In all of my RC years I have never seen anything like it! No clue if it is the BB or servos or what?! So I unplugged the flaps from the rx and flew without them. Ugh, gremlins!!

Comment

• Yep

Comment

• Glad you are OK after that!

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                                          This is a really bad thing to do, unplugging the servos allows the wind/ aerodynamic forces to push a surface with catastrophic results. If you can fix it in place that's okay but don't just unplug it.

Second that tidbit of sage advice
                                          Warbird Charlie
                                          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Working...
                                          X