X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by davegee View Post

I have 11 flights on my Freewing F/A-18C as of today. This was the first time that I traded out the lighter, stock cockpit with the super detailed Elbee printed cockpit design, which looks so much better, but is quite a bit heavier. I felt comfortable enough flying the jet to where I was now ready to fly it with the detailed cockpit. I did have to move the battery aft about 50mm to account for the extra cockpit weight so that the CG would end up in the same place on the wing, where it flies best for me.

Results were good. Flew almost identically to that using stock cockpit, and I think I'll now fly it with the detailed cockpit instead. I'll post a couple pics of the deluxe cockpit. Elbee really knocked it out of the park with this one, but then, what's new??😁😁😁

Cheers

davegee

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0975.jpg
Views:	726
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	349785Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0986.jpg
Views:	704
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	349786
    SWEEEET Dave! Awesome looking bird and the cockpit knocks it outta the park!!
    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
    Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

SWEEEET Dave! Awesome looking bird and the cockpit knocks it outta the park!!
      Thanks for all your help with my questions on the 3D printed cockpit and CG stuff, Hugh. I was happy that my calculation of CG and yours for your plane were fairly close. It flies great with the new cockpit, which is a relief. I don't think I used a single click of trim on the flight today with the new cockpit.

Comment

• Originally posted by InTheTubeDeep View Post
        Elbee, Aros- apologies for my rants- the fact that this is a privately run group was lost in the reactions to my beach flying- As for FAA looking at your F4U blowing up and wondering if the hobby is too unsafe has to be a joke right? He must've been messing with you- if not I gotta say its truly disturbing that the FAA has nothing better to do than that!!
        Rants are part of the fabric of any forum community. As long as they don't fester and become destructive to a thread or the general discourse of the community I could care less. Appreciate the apology. The FAA looking into my video and taking it seriously was no joke. He was dead serious about what his buddy said. And I definitely believe it. This was a year or three before drones became the hot topic too.

The FAA could care less about our feelings as RC pilots. They care about the safety of the US Airspace, period. They look at us, and civilian drone "pilots" (and boy do I use that term loosely) as nothing more than a threat to said airspace. Make no mistake, they are looking for any and every reason to sanction the hobby.

My YouTube RC videos:
        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Elbee, Aros- apologies for my rants-
          ITTD, this would have been enough; however, apology appreciated/accepted. Respectfully, LB
          I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
          ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

ITTD, this would have been enough; however, apology appreciated/accepted. Respectfully, LB
            All good- btw did you 3D design print that cockpit?

Comment

• Elbee
              Elbee commented
              Editing a comment
              For the Freewing F-18C, yes. The STL files are buried somewhere in this Official Thread. Like 10 sets or something. If I knew the post numbers, I'd tell you, but I don't. Probably easier to check the Prusa repository. It is called Prusa Printables I think, just search it there's only one. Search the User name: Stevie or Freewing I think works there. Best, LB

All good- btw did you 3D design print that cockpit?
            LB's "unofficial" job is lead secret designer for the Skunk Works division. You should see his work on the 1600mm Corsair, complete with cockpit, moving canopy, functional cowl flaps and double wasp engine, just to name a few.

The F18 cockpit is a work of Art! Unfortunately the files are now highly classified and have been removed from public access by the military to keep China from stealing them.

I used the JHH 1/10 scale full body pilot in my F18 Canadian.

Never miss an opportunity to show it off
            🤣

Name:	20200406_202903.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	349926

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200427_180045.jpg Views:	0 Size:	175.2 KB ID:	349922Click image for larger version  Name:	20200406_203452.jpg Views:	0 Size:	214.6 KB ID:	349923
            Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
            Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

LB's "unofficial" job is lead secret designer for the Skunk Works division. You should see his work on the 1600mm Corsair, complete with cockpit, moving canopy, functional cowl flaps and double wasp engine, just to name a few.

The F18 cockpit is a work of Art! Unfortunately the files are now highly classified and have been removed from public access by the military to keep China from stealing them.

I used the JHH 1/10 scale full body pilot in my F18 Canadian.

Never miss an opportunity to show it off
              🤣

Name:	20200406_202903.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	349926

Click image for larger version Name:	20200427_180045.jpg Views:	0 Size:	175.2 KB ID:	349922Click image for larger version Name:	20200406_203452.jpg Views:	0 Size:	214.6 KB ID:	349923
              Never gets old, Brother. That's why you are the Southeast Group Commander, your attention to detail combined with all the fun toys. Best, LB
              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Never gets old, Brother. That's why you are the Southeast Group Commander, your attention to detail combined with all the fun toys. Best, LB
                Wow amazing work LB- Impressive!! I have the Prusa MK3 great printer, I put the $199 down on the hopefully soon to be released XL, saw the promo vid could not resist! I really needed a larger build area the XL was rumored to be 400x400x400 but the production XL came out at 360x360x360. I grabbed a Anycubic Kobra Max in the meantime- 450x400x400 perfect for my project, an Su30 same scale as the E-flite, also I designed floats for the Grand Tundra with built in retracts and LEDs. I made wingtip rails for this FW F-18 one piece in PETG-If any one needs wingtip rails LMK!

Name:	IMG_7013.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	349954Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7050.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	349955Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7012.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	349956Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7016-1.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	349957Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7015.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	349958Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7014.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	349959Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-06-09 at 8.43.48 AM.png
Views:	517
Size:	432.6 KB
ID:	349960

Comment

• ID, Great addition to your BA Bug. The missile rails were an absolute requirement to this model, IMO. There were several designs floating around from both RCG and here early on. I, too, designed a rail but in 4-parts mostly to add some additional detail. The inner most NAV light part was my objective though mine does not light up like RCjetdude did to his Hornet. If you find those posts to his model, it is a masterpiece in both lighting and modification. He does great work. Best, LB

~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

ID, Great addition to your BA Bug. The missile rails were an absolute requirement to this model, IMO. There were several designs floating around from both RCG and here early on. I, too, designed a rail but in 4-parts mostly to add some additional detail. The inner most NAV light part was my objective though mine does not light up like RCjetdude did to his Hornet. If you find those posts to his model, it is a masterpiece in both lighting and modification. He does great work. Best, LB
                    Very nicely done LB! I printed mine in 2 pieces at first then figured out the ordnance attachment piece could be printed in place much easier. On my beloved EF Su30 I flew a few flights with full armaments but that 'Sokol' Aerobatic scheme would never fly with missiles so I made pylon rails looks way more scale 🤩

Name:	IMG_9791.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	350239Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9805.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	350240Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9786.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	350241

Comment

• Gorgeous morning on the beach

Name:	IMG_0535.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	350799Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0534.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	350798Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0536.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	350797Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0540.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	350796Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0541.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	350795

Comment

• As I've mentioned in the past, both of my F-18's have had issues with one flap (not always the same one) not deploying while in flight (works fine on the ground even with holding them to see if they stop). Guess I'm lucky, but had the same issue on my Avanti and both of my B-24's. With those, I reduced the speed to 1 second or less and have never had the problem again. On both F-18's, even at 0 seconds, it sometimes occurred and unlike with the Avanti or B-24, when one doesn't go down to landing flaps and the other does, it's a "Fire Drill" trying to keep it from spiraling while offsetting with Ail and flipping the flap switch back up! So with both, I bypassed the circuit board wiring the ailerons and flaps directly to the RX and finally replaced both flap servos on each (I suspect the 9 gr servo's just don't have enough guts when in the air, but who knows). The only issue was I did not like plugging and unplugging ail/flaps every time out, which ultimately wears the connector out, so I just found a really nice alternative.

When building out my Extreme Flight FW 190, they use a multi wire servo plug for easy connection. Comes either for 3 servos or 2. So I put the 2 servo ones in each wing of both and now I'm happy as a clam. The side with the flange even fits nicely in the space where the ribbon connector was and mounts with 2 screws. The connection is much nicer than even the ribbon cables. If you have need of something like this, you can get them at Extreme Flight.

Name:	20220710_215648.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	350902Click image for larger version

Name:	20220710_220247.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	350903Click image for larger version

Name:	20220710_220429.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	350904

Don't they look Happy!

Name:	20210701_175333.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	350905
                        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Flying Toaster survives another Beach mission...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Hugh Wiedman;n350901]As I've mentioned in the past, both of my F-18's have had issues with one flap (not always the same one) not deploying while in flight (works fine on the ground even with holding them to see if they stop). Guess I'm lucky, but had the same issue on my Avanti and both of my B-24's. With those, I reduced the speed to 1 second or less and have never had the problem again. On both F-18's, even at 0 seconds, it sometimes occurred and unlike with the Avanti or B-24, when one doesn't go down to landing flaps and the other does, it's a "Fire Drill" trying to keep it from spiraling while offsetting with Ail and flipping the flap switch back up! So with both, I bypassed the circuit board wiring the ailerons and flaps directly to the RX and finally replaced both flap servos on each (I suspect the 9 gr servo's just don't have enough guts when in the air, but who knows). The only issue was I did not like plugging and unplugging ail/flaps every time out, which ultimately wears the connector out, so I just found a really nice alternative.

When building out my Extreme Flight FW 190, they use a multi wire servo plug for easy connection. Comes either for 3 servos or 2. So I put the 2 servo ones in each wing of both and now I'm happy as a clam. The side with the flange even fits nicely in the space where the ribbon connector was and mounts with 2 screws. The connection is much nicer than even the ribbon cables. If you have need of something like this, you can get them at Extreme Flight.
                            /QUOTE]

Hugh, great idea. I will be updating all the wiring in my 'bug' this winter. I just don't like my lighting layout either. There's got to be a neater and more efficient layout. Best, LB
                            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• The slow down issue is another thing. I think for the F-18 the servos on flaps are just borderline powerful enough and at speed the forces are too much for the little servo. Also some set it up with more travel and there could be binding of the flap on the side of the fuselage.

When I set up mine I moved the pushrod in on the servo for better mechanical advantage and have had no issues.

Comment

• I also have the exact same problem with my flaps.
                                It has resulted in me always landing with take off flaps. Because it has always worked. I'm going crazy when I can't find the error. I thought this error was solved with V2 of this F18 but apparently not. But you may have to change to a stronger servo or change to the inner hole on the servo arm?

Comment

• I couldn't help myself. I am a glutton for punishment as they say. Welcome home #8. Yes, as in my 8th Freewing F/A-18C Hornet. It was a deal I couldn't pass up. This was my buddy's pride and joy. He is intensely meticulous with his models (even came with wing AND stab bags). He said this one flew "right" out of the box. Zero issues or gremlins, no trouble at all. Perfectly dialed in and comes with a Spektrum gyro that works flawlessly. I'm going to upload his .SPM file so I will have his exact setup and settings. So now, if the unthinkable occurs, I will have nobody to blame but Mr. Dumb Thumbs. I also told him if the unthinkable DOES happen, I will never tell him and move to another state.

Bonus points, she fits in my Toyota Supra!!
                                  My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Aros Congratulations. "This time for sure...", he said. (Insert ROFL emoji, if I had one ???) In the mean time, insert Archer GIF. Best LB

Name:	archer-danger-zone.gif
Views:	327
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	351355
                                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• In some parallel universe my friend, I'm almost certain the common phrase is "Eighth time's the charm!"
                                      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Best of luck!

Comment

Working...
                                        X