Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Zakir hussain syed View Post
    I can’t connect with radio t4k…?
    I don't know what a t4k is. This plane is a "PNP". You need your own radio and receiver and battery. If your radio and receiver can support at least 6 channels, I don't know why it wouldn't work.

Comment

• Hello all. I recently purchased a al37 to add to my collection. I own a spektrum dx8e and i purchased the spektrum ar8360t receiver. I have the plane built and i have verified all the control surfaces are functional. My concern is that im extremely unfamiliar with how to use this controller. It has so many setting that im scared i have possibly missed something in programming and binding. Does anyone have experience working with this receiver and transmitter combo. Any inputs on what i need to setup. Would like to possibly get safe activated.

Comment

• Originally posted by Macosta1492 View Post
        Hello all. I recently purchased a al37 to add to my collection. I own a spektrum dx8e and i purchased the spektrum ar8360t receiver. I have the plane built and i have verified all the control surfaces are functional. My concern is that im extremely unfamiliar with how to use this controller. It has so many setting that im scared i have possibly missed something in programming and binding. Does anyone have experience working with this receiver and transmitter combo. Any inputs on what i need to setup. Would like to possibly get safe activated.
        You should not fly any airplane with such a RX installed in it until you fully understand what it does and how to make it do what you intend for it to do. The RX likely comes with some default settings that may or may not need activating and assigned to a switch. Even though your control throws are "functional", the gyro response direction may not be appropriate for that airplane. You at least need to know how to test for all the functions of the plane and the AS3X and SAFE responses. If a gyro response is inappropriate, the plane can either shake itself to death or take a dive into the dirt.
        Go to the product webpage: https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...PMAR8360T.html
        There, you will see a video for setting up these types of RXs. They use an AR737T RX as an example. The programming is similar for your RX.

If you are anxious to fly the plane before you figure out how the RX works, you might be better off to go with a receiver that has no gyro in it or go into the 8360T and at the very least, reduce the gains severely for everything (30 or less). Then it'll act more like a "normal" RX (if gains are set to zero). Use "forward programming" to assign SAFE to a switch so you can use it when you want to. There should be default settings for SAFE that should be OK to begin with. However, the advice is to watch as many of those set up videos as you can before flying the plane.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
          You should not fly any airplane with such a RX installed in it until you fully understand what it does and how to make it do what you intend for it to do. The RX likely comes with some default settings that may or may not need activating and assigned to a switch. Even though your control throws are "functional", the gyro response direction may not be appropriate for that airplane. You at least need to know how to test for all the functions of the plane and the AS3X and SAFE responses. If a gyro response is inappropriate, the plane can either shake itself to death or take a dive into the dirt.
          Go to the product webpage: https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...PMAR8360T.html
          There, you will see a video for setting up these types of RXs. They use an AR737T RX as an example. The programming is similar for your RX.

If you are anxious to fly the plane before you figure out how the RX works, you might be better off to go with a receiver that has no gyro in it or go into the 8360T and at the very least, reduce the gains severely for everything (30 or less). Then it'll act more like a "normal" RX (if gains are set to zero). Use "forward programming" to assign SAFE to a switch so you can use it when you want to. There should be default settings for SAFE that should be OK to begin with. However, the advice is to watch as many of those set up videos as you can before flying the plane.

to be completely honest. When i bought the plane i emailed spektrum asking them what they recommended for my TX to work with this specific plane and so that i could have safe. There is just so little information out there about this rx. I definitely wont be flying the plane anytime soon. I wont dare take that risk. Im gonna watch this video. Hopefully it shines loght on something im missing.

Comment

to be completely honest. When i bought the plane i emailed spektrum asking them what they recommended for my TX to work with this specific plane and so that i could have safe. There is just so little information out there about this rx. I definitely wont be flying the plane anytime soon. I wont dare take that risk. Im gonna watch this video. Hopefully it shines loght on something im missing.
            Actually, that is just the first video. There are over a dozen of them.
            I think Spektrum over-sold you. Shame on them, but I guess they're in the business to sell. First, you don't need an 8-ch RX to fly this plane. You could have got the job done with their 6-ch AS3X/SAFE/telemetry receivers, costing less. Do you need telemetry? Without some extra cost modules and Spektrum smart ESCs and a Spektrum smart battery, the information you get will be somewhat limited anyway. You can save some money getting just a 6-ch AS3X/SAFE RX without the telemetry. However, even those require you do some studying on how to program them.
            You can always save that RX for a future plane where you will benefit from having 8 channels. For now, you could simply get a basic 6-ch Lemon RX and a cheap HobbyEagle gyro that will do the same thing at a third the price.

Comment

• I'm not disagreeing with what has been said before about telemetry, but frankly I insist using at least 7 channels for all planes in with nose gear and flaps. ​​​​​

Putting the nose gear on a separate channel allows you to trim the steering independently from the rudder. This significantly improves ground handling and simplifies tracking on the ground. Steering adjustment will not affect the rudder so the plane flies better and stays in fight trim.

​​​​​​

​​​​​​

Comment

Actually, that is just the first video. There are over a dozen of them.
                I think Spektrum over-sold you. Shame on them, but I guess they're in the business to sell. First, you don't need an 8-ch RX to fly this plane. You could have got the job done with their 6-ch AS3X/SAFE/telemetry receivers, costing less. Do you need telemetry? Without some extra cost modules and Spektrum smart ESCs and a Spektrum smart battery, the information you get will be somewhat limited anyway. You can save some money getting just a 6-ch AS3X/SAFE RX without the telemetry. However, even those require you do some studying on how to program them.
                You can always save that RX for a future plane where you will benefit from having 8 channels. For now, you could simply get a basic 6-ch Lemon RX and a cheap HobbyEagle gyro that will do the same thing at a third the price.

yeah i dont think i really needed the telemetry. I watched a couple build vids and there was an older gentlemen that was setting it up with a different rx and at the end he switched to the one i currently have saying it was the correct one to use(droneman productions). Oh well i got it already. I guess ill have extra channels for mods when i figure it out and get in the air.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gilatrout View Post
                  I'm not disagreeing with what has been said before about telemetry, but frankly I insist using at least 7 channels for all planes in with nose gear and flaps. ​​​​​

Putting the nose gear on a separate channel allows you to trim the steering independently from the rudder. This significantly improves ground handling and simplifies tracking on the ground. Steering adjustment will not affect the rudder so the plane flies better and stays in fight trim.

​​​​​​

​​​​​​
                  I can see this being helpful. To adjust it now is quite a challenge with the planes size. I also see people are bypassing the bluebox. So far mine seems to be functioning where i dont think it’s necessary. I can say the retracts are extremely slow to raise and a bit slow to drop in my opinion. Maybe the blue box has something to do with it.

Comment

I can see this being helpful. To adjust it now is quite a challenge with the planes size. I also see people are bypassing the bluebox. So far mine seems to be functioning where i dont think it’s necessary. I can say the retracts are extremely slow to raise and a bit slow to drop in my opinion. Maybe the blue box has something to do with it.
                    Blue box has everything to do with retract speed. There are some advantages for slowing down. 1, it's more scale sometimes... and 2, it gives you a chance to correct an accidental retract on the ground.

Some planes I bypass the blue box, others I don't. It is very subjective about the speed.

Comment

You would also be farther ahead of the game if you spend the time necessary to read all 109 posts in this forum. Lots of knowledge here that may help you avoid a crash.
                      Couldn't hurt, for sure.

-GG

Comment

• Hello to all again. Today was the Maiden of the Al-37 and it flew great !!!! Photos attached. Click image for larger version

Name:	20220130_125307.jpg
Views:	665
Size:	273.6 KB
ID:	336100Click image for larger version

Name:	20220130_154839.jpg
Views:	672
Size:	275.4 KB
ID:	336099Click image for larger version

Name:	20220130_154832.jpg
Views:	662
Size:	305.2 KB
ID:	336098Click image for larger version

Name:	20220130_125209.jpg
Views:	664
Size:	287.4 KB
ID:	336097Click image for larger version

Name:	20220130_125147.jpg
Views:	708
Size:	286.0 KB
ID:	336096

Comment

• Here are some photos extracted from the maiden flight using a drone as a chasing camera.
                          Also you can see the video from this link: https://youtu.be/fac5T2A1mJs
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Will adding a second battery give me more than 5 min of flight time? The batteries would be 6s 5000mah 100c. Looks like all I would need to do is undo the Y connection from my esc's and run them individually. Right?

Comment

• Originally posted by MeyerVW View Post
                              Will adding a second battery give me more than 5 min of flight time? The batteries would be 6s 5000mah 100c. Looks like all I would need to do is undo the Y connection from my esc's and run them individually. Right?
                              You would be better off using a parallel adapter to hook the two batteries together and then just hook up to the existing connector. It will likely get you more than 5 minutes but don't expect to double your current flight time using 1 battery as you'll be doubling the battery weight.

Comment

You would be better off using a parallel adapter to hook the two batteries together and then just hook up to the existing connector. It will likely get you more than 5 minutes but don't expect to double your current flight time using 1 battery as you'll be doubling the battery weight.
                                I only get 3.5 min flight times right now and land with 30 percent left. I dont fly wide open throttle either. Would like to see better times out of my aircraft, just not sure how to achieve it.

Comment

I only get 3.5 min flight times right now and land with 30 percent left. I dont fly wide open throttle either. Would like to see better times out of my aircraft, just not sure how to achieve it.
                                  What kind of battery are you using? Some brands of batteries of the same mah, perform better and give better flight times than others.

Comment

• Spektrum 6s 5000mah 100c battery

Comment

Spektrum 6s 5000mah 100c battery
                                      Not a fan of Spektrum Batteries. The telemetry with their ESC and receivers is nice but they're way overpriced and guaranteed they are nowhere near 100C. I think that battery weighs about 730gr. IMO, the SMC's are far superior, cost less and are a true C as per their labels. The SMC graphene 6200mah 6S 40C flight battery weighs in at 810 gr (so only about 80 more gr) and I guarantee you it's actual C is very close to 40C and higher than the Spektrum 100C (you can look up the battery test charts on RC Groups-don't have the link-but I'm sure someone else will provide it). I use these in virtually all of my EDF's now as well as my Corsair and Spitfire (12 minute flight times). You can also try the SMC 8100 mah 6S 20C (which actually tests out higher than 20C-which is all you'll need with the AL37) and it weighs about 895 gr. I use this in my F-16 and both my F-4's for flight times over 5 minutes (7 if you're very throttle management conscious) with virtually no degradation in flight performance (but then I'm using the 12 blade inrunner in all my 90mm EDF's). We've tried the SMC 6200 mah 40C in the Gulfstream (granted, not the FW model, but I'm sure it performs almost exactly the same) and IMO that's the battery for it, with flight times of 9-10 minutes, so I'm confident that that battery will work excellent in the AL37. Just my 2 cents.
                                      Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                      Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

Spektrum 6s 5000mah 100c battery
                                        They are, in fact, only 25C as per the 2021 load tests. A LiPo that tests that poorly, is not likely to give any decent flight times either when compared to other, better tested products.

Comment

• Thats very irritating to know, good but irritating. Those batteries were not cheap either. I think I paid around 180 each for them. Thank you for the info. Where is a good place to get them from?

Comment

Working...
                                          X