X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
    The power lead (2 wire) from the external BEC can be "Y'd" to any channel on the RX, OR you can plug it into any channel (except throttle) just for the binding process. Once bound, you can plug it into the "bind/batt" port.
    Gotcha, thanks man! I have it Y'd to one of the aux channels, but had heard some stuff about having to cut the red wire from the ESC, so didn't want to mess anything up first time I plugged it in.
    Nelson Hobbies on Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3M...ljJd2Md45tOJsw

Comment

• Originally posted by ndrew3 View Post

Gotcha, thanks man! I have it Y'd to one of the aux channels, but had heard some stuff about having to cut the red wire from the ESC, so didn't want to mess anything up first time I plugged it in.
      You only cut the red wire on ONE ESC throttle lead IF your plane uses dual non-opto ESCs, so you don't two possibly competing power sources. Planes like the AL-37 uses opto ESCs (no internal BECs) and thus, a single external BEC is used to power the RX. If you have ANY unused channels on the RX, the BEC can be plugged into one of them, no need to "Y" it to anything. I use a 10-ch. RX for this plane and the upper ports aren't used for anything.
      On Dynam twins, they don't cut any red wires. They just use both power leads in parallel.

Comment

• I would add an extension to the ESC lead, then cut the red wire on the extension.

Comment

• This last week end, we took the Nok Air out for a spin. The skies were clear and blue. Dan Metz of the Coachella Valley RC Club flew the plan while Bob Husar, builder/owner, recorded the flight. We had an RC truck with a 4k runcam 2 to capture the low passes. We call it a mobile "buzz cam". Here's a shot where Dan took it down to about 12 inches (or lower?).

Click image for larger version

Name:	NoiAirBuzz.jpg
Views:	698
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	312489

Comment

• Originally posted by Straightshooter View Post
            I would add an extension to the ESC lead, then cut the red wire on the extension.
            The ESCs on this plane are "opto" and thus, have no power going thru the red wire and as such, an extension will also have no power going thru the red wire.

Comment

• Jeremy has come a long way with his flying ability and, social media skills. Awesome to see the growth of fellow pilots throughout the years. I remember replacing servos for him! Ha.

Comment

The ESCs on this plane are "opto" and thus, have no power going thru the red wire and as such, an extension will also have no power going thru the red wire.
                Butt, you have to admit. That picture above your post is a beautiful fish! "IF" you can read between the lines...

Comment

• Hello
                  Friday was maidenflight. Weather good, gras cut and up in the air.
                  Flies very good and looks awesome.
                  Thanks to CallieGraphics for the decals
                  video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

Comment

• Bueno después de mucho sudor, cinta y botes de pintura el Boeing ha quedado espectacular
                    Os dejo unas fotos
                    Attached Files

Comment

• I got re-acquainted with a fellow RC pilot and I had forgotten that he is a long haul 777 pilot (real one) for WestJet. Since the pandemic, those long haul flights have been curtailed and he got a bit of a demotion to fly the 737 Max8 when they started to get re-certified. I told him I had the model of the plane he normally flies in the WestJet livery. He got very excited and wanted to see it fly someday soon.
                      Anyway, we got talking about the mods I did to my model, one of which was chopping off the lower winglets because I wanted to help control the yaw waggle a bit. I said that to completely eliminate the waggle, I'm putting a gyro back in. He tended to agree with both mods - removal of the lower winglet and the addition of a gyro. He said that in his Max8 training, they went through various scenarios, one being turning OFF the Max8's yaw damper. When that's done, any passenger sitting at the rear of the plane would most likely upchuck their cookies from the plane swaying side to side. So it would seem that the real Max8 relies heavily on a yaw damper and those planes that have only the upper winglet don't waggle nearly as much when the damper is turned off.
                      PS. I also fly RC with a fellow from DOT whose team is re-certifying both the Max8 and the Max8 pilots in our city (WestJet's head office).

Comment

• I think most airliners suffer from dutch roll due to the immense lateral stability from the extremely long wings and the swept angle, the vertical stabs are already enormous so I guess there's a limit to how large they can get.

It would be interesting to configure the gyro to have gain only on the yaw axis and move from 0 to 100 during a flight to see how it altered the flight characteristics of the AL37.

Comment

• Originally posted by mshagg View Post
                          It would be interesting to configure the gyro to have gain only on the yaw axis and move from 0 to 100 during a flight to see how it altered the flight characteristics of the AL37.
                          Interesting thought. I'll give it a try - only connect the rudder to the gyro and see how high I can crank up the gain.

Comment

Interesting thought. I'll give it a try - only connect the rudder to the gyro and see how high I can crank up the gain.
                            You could stop referring to it as a gyro and call it a yaw damper then :)

Comment

• True, but fewer letters to type. Not sure these little electronic devices should ever be called gyros. I’ve traditionally thought of a gyro as something that spins very rapidly. There’s nothing spinning inside these things. My first helicopter tail gyro sounded like it had something spinning up.

Comment

• You can always type these….more properly:

Solid State Gyro or….

Microelectromechanical gyro

While solid state accelerometers are used inside these tiny marvels vs spinning wheels, the function is as that of a gyro.

AND….gyro is easy to type!

Hint: Not that you would not, but keep the mods symmetrical to both sides. I once flew with only one winglet on (waiting for glue to dry). BIG MISTAKE. The roll this induced was BAD!

Side story: Many years ago, I was given a tour of the USS Francis Scott Key (SSBN-657) nuclear submarine during which the engineer discussed the INS (inertial nav sys). A tiny Beryllium sphere suspended in a vacuum held in place with a magnetic field spinning at many thousands of RPM and its orientation was measured by lasers to give the computers the needed INS info. I was impressed! Current INS technology is improved on this…no doubt.

​​​​​​-GG

Comment

• My buddy “Crazy Juan” had an exciting first flight of his new AL-37. Got the basic Motion RC version, with no mods. But exciting maiden, nonetheless!

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	4C4EC257-12C1-40EA-99D8-E93FEEEDABA1.jpeg
Views:	581
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	313750Click image for larger version

Name:	E05D69B3-3CEB-4D17-A6DC-2FAF08BFF118.jpeg
Views:	596
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	313749 Got the maiden done finally! Ordered a gyro for it so it will fly nice and locked in! Fun seeing the blue belly with the delta logo.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

• In flight shot of my AA 738 in the silver bird livery. Click image for larger version

Name:	8DBB6430-2E7C-496C-A705-2D0EDA2AEF84.jpeg
Views:	612
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	313873

Comment

• I actually got some time to paint and do some lettering. Looking forward to getting this thing in the air!Click image for larger version  Name:	frcjet.jpg Views:	29 Size:	89.3 KB ID:	313877
                                        Last edited by Marco Polo; May 24, 2021, 05:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by vduniec View Post
                                          In flight shot of my AA 738 in the silver bird livery. Click image for larger version

Name:	8DBB6430-2E7C-496C-A705-2D0EDA2AEF84.jpeg
Views:	612
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	313873
                                          Nice shot, but I can’t tell if you painted it silver...or is still white? If it’s painted silver, what paint did you use?

Comment

Working...
                                          X