X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mshagg View Post
    I put 3 coats of PU down on the one I just built. It helps when removing masks but still had spots lifting. Had the local big box hardware store match some paint, they got it pretty close but it's difficult to do the really small pots of off white.

Your best bet is probably leave the stock paint on, paint it true white, so it's easy to touch up.

The stock paint is quite thick, so when it does lift up you get a noticeable ridge, so helps to fill/sand before touch up.

It's a big plane, hard to get it completely perfect!
    Good advice for sure. I've got experience painting Tamiya models etc. with an airbrush so have a good handle on all the basics but never attempted anything close to this big or that I would care about as much so definitely not something I want to jump straight in to. Also none of those ever come pre-painted so a bit weird having to deal with someone else's base coat! I definitely would want to go for a very simple scheme too to cut down the chance of errors, thinking a FedEx livery could look really nice.
    Nelson Hobbies on Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3M...ljJd2Md45tOJsw

Comment

• Originally posted by themudduck View Post

Hey Capt, I'm an instructor at my club field, and would highly recommend you seek out that help and comradery. Its helpful if you get a radio that is compatible with the same radio that your local club instructor uses, because RC radios have a feature called "buddy box" which essentially allows the instructor to be the pilot, and for you to be the co-pilot, and the pilot can instantly take over in case you make a mistake. This is probably the least stressful way to learn how to fly RC because it takes away the most frustrating part of learning - which is crashing. (if you pick a instructor who has skills, duh)

I have taught several full-scale pilots. You already know exactly how planes fly, which is helpful. But flying RC is different because its all done from your vantage point on the ground, you don't have the benefit of your butt being in the seat. So its all about hand-eye coordination and depth perception so you'll have to get used to that. This model is not difficult to fly - one plus is that its fairly large to its easy to see. It does require some finesse. If you get someone to be your "buddy" instructor you will have great success.

While you're cooped up this winter consider getting an inexpensive RC flight simulator for your PC or laptop. You can play with that all you want and never damage your plane. Its not the same a real life but it will familiarize you with the RC controls and the experience of controlling your plane while watching it from the ground. The students I've talked who had experience with the simulator have picked up RC outside very quickly.
      Thank you so much for this thorough response, it truly has helped! Yeah I’ll have to figure out where there is a flying club near me, I live in the metro Detroit area. I’ve also heard of RC simulators and have already been looking for one to purchase. I need a receiver and a radio, what do you recommend for this aircraft? I have a 5000mah charger, should I get a 6000?

Comment

• Always recommended to visit with the guys at the field and weigh their recommendations. I use this model for a couple of years and have had experienced excellent reliability...even after long hours of charging on hot days. Takes about 45 min to pump a 3600 mAh charge into a 6S battery. With 2 of these, I can get 20 AL37 flights done in about 2.5 hours while running the chargers off my truck’s electrical system (truck idling).

If you fly longer each flight, it’ll take longer to charge the batteries. Sucking down about 3600 mAh gives you about a 4 min flight with throttle management.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087216GMB...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Flying at a club, that much flying won’t happen...you’ll find a lot of good conversation will occupy your time.

Note: Corrected 10 to 20 flights...original posting typo.

Comment

• Originally posted by CaptPola View Post

Thank you so much for this thorough response, it truly has helped! Yeah I’ll have to figure out where there is a flying club near me, I live in the metro Detroit area. I’ve also heard of RC simulators and have already been looking for one to purchase. I need a receiver and a radio, what do you recommend for this aircraft? I have a 5000mah charger, should I get a 6000?
          Hi there, hey you can check the AMA website (modelaircraft.org) and they have an easy tool to locate the clubs in your area. Here's the link!

Well there are many brands of radios out there, most of them are very good. The two main brands seem to be Futaba and Spektrum. There are lower-cost options that are compatible with Futaba and Spektrum but most of us use these brands. The two systems are not compatible with each other - so if you get a Spectrum system and you work with another pilot who has a Futaba system then you won't be able to link them together. If you find a local club and see what others are using then that will help. Most of the guys in my club use Spektrum, but I know that Futaba is an excellent system.

The airliner is designed to use 6S batteries in the 4000mah - 7000mah range. Many pilots use the 5000mah pack (I use a 6250). LiPos can be charged at higher rates but for the best life, they should be charged at a conservative setting of 1C (1 x the Capacity rating). So for example if you have a 5000mah battery then you should charge it at 5 amps (5000mah). That's exactly what you have. So your charger should be good but you'll be using it at its maximum setting. Keep your eyes open for other battery chargers and later on you can get a bigger one. A larger charger won't have to work as hard and you'll be able to charge your batteries faster once in awhile (but most of us don't do that).

Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Hello this AL-37 is such a cool EDF i did my Maiden in the Qanats scheme and wow it does fly like a trainer , Photos are with Dirk.S NSW RFS (operated by Coulson) air tanker 138 in last Summer's scheme. please check out my Maiden flight Landing

Comment

• Nice livery! Great landing! Welcome!
              My YouTube RC videos:
              https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Darrell King View Post
                Hello this AL-37 is such a cool EDF i did my Maiden in the Qanats scheme and wow it does fly like a trainer , Photos are with Dirk.S NSW RFS (operated by Coulson) air tanker 138 in last Summer's scheme. please check out my Maiden flight Landing

https://youtu.be/TM0DMzGgMuI
                Book me into first class on your next scheduled flight, beautiful smooth landing!
                Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

Book me into first class on your next scheduled flight, beautiful smooth landing!
                  Thankyou Mate thats very kind

Comment

• Some MORE AL-37 and a checky Hawk Flying with Dirk Streefkerk Photos Taken From Penrith Electric Model Aero Club. Photographer/Pilot Chris Lundie

Comment

• Originally posted by Darrell King View Post
                      Some MORE AL-37 and a checky Hawk Flying with Dirk Streefkerk Photos Taken From Penrith Electric Model Aero Club. Photographer/Pilot Chris Lundie
                      Darrell King , those are some of the best photos I've ever seen, congrats to you, Dirk and Chris. What a couple of gorgeous birds.
                      Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                      Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

Darrell King , those are some of the best photos I've ever seen, congrats to you, Dirk and Chris. What a couple of gorgeous birds.
                        thanks alot Our club photographer Chris Lundie is just amazing with a camera in this you can see a dragon fly Bug stike lol

Comment

• Boy we all could use a Chris Lundie when we fly! Beautiful shots!
                          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Model complete everything works but the retracts. All 3 do not retract . If I install the retracts to the receiver they work but not when connected to the internal box

Comment

• Originally posted by Dcarpenter View Post
                              Model complete everything works but the retracts. All 3 do not retract . If I install the retracts to the receiver they work but not when connected to the internal box
                              Beyond the obvious “recheck your wiring - diagrams” to ensure proper set-up, contact MRC support and walk thru with them on the phone. They will make the determination of a bad blue box or otherwise.

-GG

Comment

• Originally posted by Dcarpenter View Post
                                Model complete everything works but the retracts. All 3 do not retract . If I install the retracts to the receiver they work but not when connected to the internal box
                                1. There is a delay of 2 to 4 seconds after you flip the switch. Did you wait?
                                2. How did you connect up the main retracts to the RX? They run through those wing cables directly to the control box. Did you take apart the wing board and hook up servo extensions to the RX? Is the polarity correct at the wing boards?
                                3. There is only one servo connection to the control box and that's the nose retract. Is the polarity correct into the control box? Using the provided wiring diagram for the box, did you plug the nose retract into the correct pins?

Comment

• Ordered my AL37 last night! Just waiting for the shipping confirmation email now =) I ordered the plain white version & have graphics on the way from Callie.

Can't wait to get this bird!

Comment

• Nice! From what I hear you won't be disappointed! Good luck with your scheme...I plan on grabbing one by this Summer and doing the Alaska Airlines livery...
                                    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Absolutely one of the most stress free flying model.
                                      one of my favorite jet was the f-15 for landing, just incredible, but this one is outstanding for it .
                                      if you don’t have it get one , if you hot one then get another one .
                                      all stock , nothing add beside white and few decals .
                                      infact I’m planning to sell this one and get another one and do better scheme .. gonna be around for a wile so no rush on that for me .
                                      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Griffon Wings View Post
                                        Absolutely one of the most stress free flying model.
                                        one of my favorite jet was the f-15 for landing, just incredible, but this one is outstanding for it .
                                        if you don’t have it get one , if you hot one then get another one .
                                        all stock , nothing add beside white and few decals .
                                        infact I’m planning to sell this one and get another one and do better scheme .. gonna be around for a wile so no rush on that for me .
                                        Beautiful livery, the pilots look so content, almost like they just had a slice of some awesome pizza (private joke so don't anyone waste time decoding it)
                                        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• I got my shipping confirmation just a short while ago. Looks like it will be here early next week!!

I am going with the NASA scheme.

Super excited!!!

Comment

Working...
                                          X