Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone looked at the control rods on the elevator side? Where they still attached or where they off, don't like those chincy white clips that are supposed to keep the rod in the servo arm. Just a thought.

Comment

• Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post
      Skosh25 - I have done all sorts of passes in many throttle, speed, nose angle, inverted, diving, and level configurations. Always had solid control response...all axis (several hundred flights logged).

I have not done high speed flaps down, but I always put flaps down (30 mm) at 1/2 throttle then lower the gear for approach after she slows down. She’s clipping along pretty fast at 1/2 throttle.

Gut feeling....It is not an aerodynamics issue.

-GG
      I don't think it is either. If it were aerodynamic it would likely have happened to yours by now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jet jocky View Post
        Has anyone looked at the control rods on the elevator side? Where they still attached or where they off, don't like those chincy white clips that are supposed to keep the rod in the servo arm. Just a thought.
        In how many of the known and documented crashes has there been an incident where either end of the rod was found detached? The elevator side is a ball link. The servo side has the white retainer clip. One can always put a piece of fuel tubing over the white clip for added insurance, however, I don't recall seeing any of the crashes as having that as a failure point.

Comment

• Sorry I meant the servo side. My bad.

Comment

• Does anyone know where you can get those chokes?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jet jocky View Post
              Does anyone know where you can get those chokes?
              I bought mine on Amazon:

Comment

• See post #2437 above.

Comment

• Thanks guys!!!

Comment

• Unfortunately I had a crash yesterday with my Mig 29 - reported it on RCG. I am sharing a video of the crash site aftermath. Very disappointing.

I lost elevator control as I was attempting a shallow dive in preparation for a low altitude speed pass. Instead of correcting the 20 to 30 deg from nose down to level the jet went straight into the runway. As you can see in the silent video (I was very upset) the model hit the ground at speed and then took off and rolled and cart wheeled and finally stopped by the fence. The RX was still connected and the batteries intact - which was remarkable to see in the first place. This crash is under review by MRC and others on RCG are proactively trying to see why so many Freewing Mig 29 twin 80mm EDFs are crashing in the same exact way.

Comment

• Sorry for the loss Captain / Can you provide all the details of your set-up?
                      CG
                      Servo upgrades
                      Push rod upgrades
                      RF filter chokes installed, if so....where
                      Radio details and installation details
                      satellites / same orientation plane or different planes
                      Flaps down/up
                      control box bypassed
                      observer comments
                      anything else....

Lots of folks trying to sort this out here.

Thanks,
                      GG

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain MoMo View Post
                        Unfortunately I had a crash yesterday with my Mig 29 - reported it on RCG. I am sharing a video of the crash site aftermath. Very disappointing.

I lost elevator control as I was attempting a shallow dive in preparation for a low altitude speed pass. Instead of correcting the 20 to 30 deg from nose down to level the jet went straight into the runway. As you can see in the silent video (I was very upset) the model hit the ground at speed and then took off and rolled and cart wheeled and finally stopped by the fence. The RX was still connected and the batteries intact - which was remarkable to see in the first place. This crash is under review by MRC and others on RCG are proactively trying to see why so many Freewing Mig 29 twin 80mm EDFs are crashing in the same exact way.

Dang, sorry for your loss. I am curious if you were using tailerons or not?

Comment

• Does anyone know where I can get an 8s balance lead protector? I want to put them on the wing wiring plug to make it easier to plug/unplug.

Comment

• Hello!

This is the "Official Freewing MiG-29" thread, right? Isn't it high time then that Freewing & MotionRC actually say something about the current situation? For example,
                            1. Does MotionRC have the opinion that the MiG is safe to fly, if the replacement elevator servos are built-in?
                            2. Is MotionRC investigating the crash reports?
                            3. Does MotionRC have the opinion that all the reported crashes so far are pilot errors?
                            4. Is there any sort of advice or reassurement that MotionRC wants to give MiG-owners regarding their aircraft and its operation?
                            Thanks & cheers,
                            Henrik

FYI: In Germany, flying a model above 5kg already requires adherence to stricter regulations. Flying it knowing that it may have a structural weakness or built-in design flaw that may lead to uncontrolled crashes is a legal risk. There are all kinds of nasty liability issues around the corner.

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain MoMo View Post

I lost elevator control as I was attempting a shallow dive in preparation for a low altitude speed pass. Instead of correcting the 20 to 30 deg from nose down to level the jet went straight into the runway. ...
                              Sorry! Which servos did you have on the elevators, and which hole on the servo arm? Also did you use the stock elevator control rods, or some thicker (e.g. 4-40) rod? Any detail you can provide on your setup will add to the data (*).

(*) Well, I once heard a wise man say "the plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'". LOL, that is very true, but still it's all we have.

Comment

• Originally posted by HK111 View Post
                                Hello!

This is the "Official Freewing MiG-29" thread, right? Isn't it high time then that Freewing & MotionRC actually say something about the current situation? For example,
                                1. Does MotionRC have the opinion that the MiG is safe to fly, if the replacement elevator servos are built-in?
                                2. Is MotionRC investigating the crash reports?
                                3. Does MotionRC have the opinion that all the reported crashes so far are pilot errors?
                                4. Is there any sort of advice or reassurement that MotionRC wants to give MiG-owners regarding their aircraft and its operation?
                                Thanks & cheers,
                                Henrik

FYI: In Germany, flying a model above 5kg already requires adherence to stricter regulations. Flying it knowing that it may have a structural weakness or built-in design flaw that may lead to uncontrolled crashes is a legal risk. There are all kinds of nasty liability issues around the corner.
                                It's an official discussion thread but not an official support channel.

I've not seen anything other than transparency in the way they go about their business; if they have something to say publicly, I'm sure they will say it. In the meantime you're probably best reaching out to them directly.

Comment

• People have posted their particulars in the crash thread poll over on RCG. Interesting data.

Comment

• Originally posted by HK111 View Post
                                    Hello!

There would certainly be civil liability in the USA (we have more lawyers than anyone else), and if the issue were known about beforehand, possible criminal negligence in the case that an out of control heavy object going 100mph or more hit an individual or vehicle.

And by definition, "out of control" means you have no control over where it crashes or what it hits.

Comment

• Originally posted by leithalweapon View Post

Dang, sorry for your loss. I am curious if you were using tailerons or not?
                                      Thanks - I have joined a number of others who are losing Mig 29s apparently. No, not using tailerons. Standard setup with 23g servos that were sent. I have details on the RCG thread and can provide them here as well. Only changes I made were 1) added a 20A castle Pro BEC 2) added two capacitors, each 3300 uF - one at the RX and one at the BB 3) used a 12 Channel Spektrum RX with 3 x sats 4) added 75mm JP ebrakes - powered direct from battery and 5) coated her with one coat of epoxy - which I do on all my models without a significant weight gain.

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post

There would certainly be civil liability in the USA (we have more lawyers than anyone else), and if the issue were known about beforehand, possible criminal negligence in the case that an out of control heavy object going 100mph or more hit an individual or vehicle.

And by definition, "out of control" means you have no control over where it crashes or what it hits.
                                        I never thought of this angle - so no wonder no one is responding to this..... wow.

Comment

• Ah dangit. Now you've done it.

The FAA will see this and use it as an excuse to regulate us even more, and all the manufacturers will have to go through quality testing with friggen nasa or whatever in the name of "safety" and the "greater good", making a little 100$ foamy cost 1k.

Stop flying them before you crash into a puppy and it becomes a national story LMAO

Comment

Working...
                                          X