Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the days of 72Mhz I think we had a good bit of RF issues both from within the plane and external. I think 2.4G has done away with most of the effect of RF noise. Even counting noise from gas motors spark circuits I have to say I've had very little RF interference over my 50+ years of flying, none since being on 2.4. Also since going to 2.4 I've removed most of the ferrite rings on my ESCs. But again my opinion based on my experience and knowledge of electronics and RF.

Comment

• Are these chokes placed on the key wires to the servos? I normally have ferrite rings around my ESCs and BEC power supplies and also try to keep power lines routed separately.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
        I understand how you feel... And you do fly a lot to have a lot of data. As I said that was my opinion.
        Hi Evan.... Your feedback is important as is everyone’s as the attempt to solve this continues.

Please understand I don’t have a personal attachment to the chokes. They may well end up being judged as a placebo which is fine by me. Less to mess with.

All I am doing is presenting the data and passing along the “suggestion” from the HAM radio guy that put me on to the chokes as a potential solution for the high-current ESC crashes I was having.

The mystery continues.....

-GG

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain MoMo View Post
          Are these chokes placed on the key wires to the servos? I normally have ferrite rings around my ESCs and BEC power supplies and also try to keep power lines routed separately.
          To start with (search “ferrite” for more posts), the placement was as near to the ESCs as possible on the non-motor side of the ESCs. Since multiple wires can route through a choke, a total of 3 were added to the MiG - 1 on either side of the rear battery and, for good measure, another small barrel-type choke was added up by the green ferrite ring choke (probably overkill).

https://www.amazon.com/Cedmon-Pieces...8870654&sr=8-4

Later on, 2 more were added....one at each elevator servo in the rear. See photos....

Are these the reason my MiG hasn’t had issues in about 400+ flights? Who knows. Just a data point to consider.

-GG

Click image for larger version  Name:	D2B5D898-6CAF-4E16-BB74-0F060565AD7A.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	37.0 KB ID:	282898Click image for larger version  Name:	823CA9FD-9A25-42B3-8777-BC8DE73B27DE.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	49.4 KB ID:	282899

Comment

• Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post

To start with (search “ferrite” for more posts), the placement was as near to the ESCs as possible on the non-motor side of the ESCs. Since multiple wires can route through a choke, a total of 3 were added to the MiG - 1 on either side of the rear battery and, for good measure, another small barrel-type choke was added up by the green ferrite ring choke (probably overkill).

Later on, 2 more were added....one at each elevator servo in the rear. See photos....

-GG

Click image for larger version Name:	D2B5D898-6CAF-4E16-BB74-0F060565AD7A.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	37.0 KB ID:	282898Click image for larger version Name:	823CA9FD-9A25-42B3-8777-BC8DE73B27DE.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	49.4 KB ID:	282899
            Thanks - I know about the caps on the ESC side - which are for voltage spikes to protect the ESC. I was asking about your "chokes" which are at the servos I see. Thanks for getting back to me.

Comment

• You will get/ are getting induced RF noise in many of our circuits. Most do not cause issues due to the noise level or frequency. Vibration is another thing that most should consider, both within or mechanical and electronic items or between servo connections or motor connections. We should also consider fatigue...

GG, I'm in no way saying the chokes are not a good idea to consider. I think you know that.

Comment

• I was about to order the Mig29 last night as my third edf. When I decided to check the thread and found all of this very concerning. It seems the issue has yet to be identified with this plane. Looks like it isn't a bec issue as there are crashes with 20amp becs, which should be more than enough. Has someone tried upgrading the extensions running to the elevator servos? I haven't read the entire thread, sorry if that has been addressed already. I went to the Poll on RCG and it seems the loss of elevator is the main issue here. I have several motion products and they've been the best out of any other scale foamy I've owned, and their CS team seems to be top notch, but I do not see much activity from them on these MIG threads. Hopefully they're discussing this issue internally and trying to find and resolve the issue.

I may hold off ordering at this time until a solution can be found for this issue. I tend to fly my planes very aerobatically, I do not want to risk not only the plane but anyone else's well being.
                Last edited by shortbus; Oct 28, 2020, 01:46 PM. Reason: Removing RCG poll, you can click as many options as you like not just one. Makes confirming number of crashes difficult.

Comment

• I've got 2 migs and I'm not going to fly till this issue is solved. I don't like throwing money out the window.

Comment

• Originally posted by shortbus View Post
                    I was about to order the Mig29 last night as my third edf. When I decided to check the thread and found all of this very concerning. It seems the issue has yet to be identified with this plane. Looks like it isn't a bec issue as there are crashes with 20amp becs, which should be more than enough. Has someone tried upgrading the extensions running to the elevator servos? I haven't read the entire thread, sorry if that has been addressed already. I went to the Poll on RCG and it seems the loss of elevator is the main issue here. Also, the total is 71 crashes at this time which is $45,369 in losses not including batteries, RXs, or other parts added to the plane. I have several motion products and they've been the best out of any other scale foamy I've owned, and their CS team seems to be top notch, but I do not see much activity from them on these MIG threads. Hopefully they're discussing this issue internally and trying to find and resolve the issue.

I may hold off ordering at this time until a solution can be found for this issue. I tend to fly my planes very aerobatically, I do not want to risk not only the plane but anyone else's well being.
                    Where do you see 71 crashes?

Comment

Where do you see 71 crashes?
                      Guess I have my name for a reason derp... The RCG poll allows you to check as many boxes as you like, I thought it was one check box per user/crash. Edited my original post as well.

Comment

• I've seen a whole lot of great flights. Even Pilot Ryan posted a great flight. I didn't see any flight issues during his flight. Sport jets fly differently than military jets. The weather here in Michigan has been terrible. Getting mine ready for the maiden. Still some work to be done.

Comment

• I would be willing to bet that Motion isn't going to say anything about this. Have you seen Caddyshack? The golf course is exploding and they are Bill Murray walking away trying not to attract attention.

Comment

• Originally posted by hmarmaizmd717 View Post
                            Has anyone installed brakes in this plane? Which ones??

Hector
                            Hey Hector, congrats on the maiden!
                            I dont know about everyone else, but i fly off a 350 foot paved runway and feel that this plane would never require brakes. Unless you like landing with a tail wind. I keep the nose up as long as i can after the main landing gear touched the ground feeding in more elevator until i have full up elevator. This plane can bleed off a ton of speed this way It slows down to a stop in about 100 feet from where the mains touched down. Those horizontals are so huge that it acts as a great air brake. One thing i will caution when landing and slowing like this is that the plane my want to try and lift off again if you are too quick to go full up elevators. It will most lokely tip stall.
                            Granted that all the times i been able to fly my mig, the winds were stabile, calm , and going right down the runway. We will see how my landings are on a bumpy crosswind day. I may want wheel brakes then. lol

Comment

• Yeah seen one fly at the club, they can flare really well. Shouldn't need brakes.

Comment

• I have. Not only did I upgrade, I also used ones about 40cm shorter since I moved my MCBe and rcvr to the back of the battery area. Each of my elevator and each of my rudder, aileron and flap servos are also plugged into their own receiver channels.

Originally posted by shortbus View Post
                                I was about to order the Mig29 last night as my third edf. When I decided to check the thread and found all of this very concerning. It seems the issue has yet to be identified with this plane. Looks like it isn't a bec issue as there are crashes with 20amp becs, which should be more than enough. Has someone tried upgrading the extensions running to the elevator servos? I haven't read the entire thread, sorry if that has been addressed already. I went to the Poll on RCG and it seems the loss of elevator is the main issue here. I have several motion products and they've been the best out of any other scale foamy I've owned, and their CS team seems to be top notch, but I do not see much activity from them on these MIG threads. Hopefully they're discussing this issue internally and trying to find and resolve the issue.

Comment

• Originally posted by ColtPilot View Post
                                  I've seen a whole lot of great flights. Even Pilot Ryan posted a great flight. I didn't see any flight issues during his flight. Sport jets fly differently than military jets. The weather here in Michigan has been terrible. Getting mine ready for the maiden. Still some work to be done.
                                  You are right but you also need to read the threads more to see that all is not rosey!

Comment

You are right but you also need to read the threads more to see that all is not rosey!
                                    I have and taking everything into account. Check and double check everything. The first A-10 off the boat was a breeze. No issues and put a lot more into it. The V2 Blue Angels F-18 HP a snap. Love it. I'm not into speed but flying the aircraft comfortably.

Comment

• Hello,

I have only 8 flights on my Mig-29. I am all in stock configuration. Only elevator servo replaced by MotionRC new servos. No chokes, no satellites, no any modification to it. Receiver Futaba R7008SB, transmiter Futaba T16SZ, batteries Admiral 5000 50C - rear and middle position, CG 5mm offset, elevator trim by Freewing manual. I am flying scale style to about 250 metres distance circle. All flights was without any issue for me.

Comment

• One more down in Germany. I translate a posting from today at RCNetwork.

"mine went in on the 4th or 5th flight due to the lack of elevator function in a nice 45 degree angle into the field. I flew with a turbine, Xicoy x45, about 50% gas. During the first flights I noticed that the HR function is deficient in all downward angles, to say the least; however, during the relaxed approach nothing more came (through)... Total write-off."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jacckall View Post
                                          Hello,

I have only 8 flights on my Mig-29. I am all in stock configuration. Only elevator servo replaced by MotionRC new servos. No chokes, no satellites, no any modification to it. Receiver Futaba R7008SB, transmiter Futaba T16SZ, batteries Admiral 5000 50C - rear and middle position, CG 5mm offset, elevator trim by Freewing manual. I am flying scale style to about 250 metres distance circle. All flights was without any issue for me.
                                          There are those with hundreds of flights without accidents too. Unfortunately, since we don't know what the issue is, it is also hard to say exactly why it haven't occurred for them (yet)
                                          Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

Working...
                                          X