Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have reversed my struts per TiredIron's recommendation, but have not modified the front at all. I've seen some little fixes to help reinforce the slop up front but wasn't sure if this was necessary at all with the strut reversal for the mains. I believe TiredIron mentioned reversing the struts is really all that needs to be done but just wanted to make sure.

Comment

• Other than the plate you mention I have done nothing with my nose strut. I don't think any other mod is needed on it.

Comment

• Same here. I only have about 20 flights (more tomorrow can't wait!), and all off Tarmac - (there is that one landing on grass where I bloody missed the runway entirely though lol). As I've said, I've had the bounce twice but no dramas or damage. I'm using the same batts and stacked about the same cg as tcat, similar set up except I have the throws on the tail maxed. I also haven't done the landing gear mod, and I haven't used any mix either for flaps if it helps. But the planes done awesome. I've nothing but fun to report so far. Touch wood.
        :)

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirty View Post

Great video, enjoyed that. Nice stuff boys :)
          I believe Captain Mike performed the Lomcovak maneuver. Tough enough with a Sport Aerobatic plane but an edf like the A-10 ? Holy Cow !
          Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
          Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
          I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

• Originally posted by Clearblue View Post
            To Alpha, Aros and anyone else at Motion who would like to chime in! What's with the complete silence about the replacement struts for this Bird? I don't live on here and quite possibly have missed it? But there are several thousand of these birds in the hands of your customers now. And a lot of us have had to continually deal with the gear issue on this amazing flying plane. The speed in which the nose gear parts and complete units sell out? It's obvious it's not just a few less than perfect landings. This forum was visited quite frequently by Alpha and Aros prior to delivery. Now IMHO they are MIA! Now in this continued discussion about this gear, and the "Fix" that T.I. has shared with all of uf is great! And I've since completed it and Proved to myself, it's a way to continue to fly without fear of destroying the airframe. I understand that there have been " New Models" that have became available, and I'm sure new products yet to be unveiled eats up a great deal of time. I get that, But Some time back there was mention of a possible replacement gear like Tony's prototype A 10 had! Can any of you shed some light on, Or confirm that these will be, Or will not be made available please. While the T.I. "Fix" has worked, I would like to move my CG back just a little more. But with the reversed mains? That isn't possible. The plane tilts back onto the rudder stabilizers, because the gear geometry has changed. Now the Plane is NOT tail heavy, And flies quite well. But I feel still just a touch nose heavy, as several folks here have discussed the CG needs to be moved back some. Those that haven't reversed the mains can and have push their CG back. Just would like to hear from someone if these are, Or are not coming? Thanks. Jim
            Jim, I'm 100% with you on the lack of attention to the strut upgrade. After all the hype and excitement about this bird early on and through the first shipment, I feel like we've been dropped like a burnt match! As you said, new planes and Christmas is looming but follow up and customer service have been the hallmark of MRC and it seems to be lacking here. I think the video that T.I. modified demonstrates beyond any reasonable doubt that this is a real issue that rates some attention. How about it Alpha? Respectfully,Brad

Comment

• Radar tested the a-10 today. Best speed recorded (downwind), was 136km/hr or 85mph. Averaged around 130. (80mph). Also tested the hsd 90mm viper on the stock 6s system, 168km/hr. (104mph). not sure how some guys are saying the a-10 does over 100mph, when the viper at less than half the weight barely gets there.

Comment

• Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post

Why take a chance...your betting on landing perfectly 100% of the time.
                Yep, I am betting on it. But I clearly understand the reason for the mod. Glad you discovered it! It may bite me one day, but until then I’ll keep working on the greasers.

It’s like any plane- every one of them is different in their flight characteristics. I love the challenge of each of them.

While there are many who have obviously had problems landing her without incident, there are probably many who haven’t had an incident either...yet.

Clearly though, you’re right. There is an obvious issue with the way it reacts when it imperfectly touches down, and should be addressed in the future.

Comment

I've slowed the video down and zoomed in, looks like mains first then compressed into a three point...no matter which the stock, high sprung nose strut launches the nose into the air. Reversing the struts forces the nose down and keeps it down.

TI, just watched your slowed down video of that flight. You’re dead on...that nose gear really pops the plane up all 3 times. That’s amazing how the reversal of the mains can actually keep that nose from responding like that.

Man, you did some experimenting to figure that one out!

Superb!!

Are there any pics of how it looks on static display...not just the up close retract view? If so, I must’’ve missed it.

Comment

• I'm going to go ahead and do the TI mod today. I had changed out pins on the nose and it got slightly bent at our event last Saturday. Had it been the OEM pin, it would have sheared off . Bending it back in place is a beech.
                    Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39

Comment

• Originally posted by Sky Wolf View Post
                      Are there any pics of how it looks on static display...not just the up close retract view? If so, I must’’ve missed it.
                      This is all I have but I can take some this evening.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170826_154352287_iOS.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	292.7 KB
ID:	100122
                      TiredIron Aviation
                      Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Yep, I am betting on it. But I clearly understand the reason for the mod. Glad you discovered it! It may bite me one day, but until then I’ll keep working on the greasers.

It’s like any plane- every one of them is different in their flight characteristics. I love the challenge of each of them.

While there are many who have obviously had problems landing her without incident, there are probably many who haven’t had an incident either...yet.

Clearly though, you’re right. There is an obvious issue with the way it reacts when it imperfectly touches down, and should be addressed in the future.
                        Here's what you're gambling on ;)

Name:	20170720_003410585_iOS.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	100124
                        TiredIron Aviation

Comment

• I've got 20+ flights on mine. I fly from a grass field. I've had only one "rodeo" bounce and that was caused by me releasing the elevator too soon after the mains touched, while carrying a little too much speed. My CG is at 86mm. I have not done the TI gear swap.

My theory why TI's fix is working so well is that it's putting more of the aircraft weight aft of the main wheel axel. This, in turn, reduces the amount of energy put into the nose gear strut spring (less spring compression, less energy to rebound). OV10 and I have flown our A-10s on grass together and both use full flaps and keep a nose high slowed approach. Works well as long as you stay on it consistently. Current configuration does make the plane less "forgiving" than many airframes.

TI's leading link, while a good band-aid, could lead to other problems down the road. It also limits moving the CG rearward. I too am hoping for a better "factory fix" so new buyers don't have to mod the gear. Options are good, whether it be a trailing link nose gear or re-speced spring combos for those that already have the bird. Patiently waiting ..........

Comment

Here's what you're gambling on ;)

Name:	20170720_003410585_iOS.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	100124
                            Ha! Man I hope I can keep the landings scale. That’s nasty looking!

Comment

• LOL
                              Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
                              I've got 20+ flights on mine. I fly from a grass field. I've had only one "rodeo" bounce and that was caused by me releasing the elevator too soon after the mains touched, while carrying a little too much speed. My CG is at 86mm. I have not done the TI gear swap.

My theory why TI's fix is working so well is that it's putting more of the aircraft weight aft of the main wheel axel. This, in turn, reduces the amount of energy put into the nose gear strut spring (less spring compression, less energy to rebound). OV10 and I have flown our A-10s on grass together and both use full flaps and keep a nose high slowed approach. Works well as long as you stay on it consistently. Current configuration does make the plane less "forgiving" than many airframes.

TI's leading link, while a good band-aid, could lead to other problems down the road. It also limits moving the CG rearward. I too am hoping for a better "factory fix" so new buyers don't have to mod the gear. Options are good, whether it be a trailing link nose gear or re-speced spring combos for those that already have the bird. Patiently waiting ..........
                              Well-said! My thoughts exactly. I don’t have 20 flights on her yet, but my many hours of EDF jet landings, and turbine sim training have come in handy for controlling that angle of attack and landing approach.

So far, so good! But if MRC comes out with an upgrade or even a recall action, I’ll jump on it.

Also, I’d still like to see what the plane looks like with the gear reversed in a static view. Does anyone have a pic of the entire plane in a stance, with them reversed? If it doesn’t look weird I may look into the TI mod so I don’t give him a chance to say “I told you so” LOL.

Comment

This is all I have but I can take some this evening.

Name:	20170826_154352287_iOS.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	292.7 KB
ID:	100122
                                TI, that would be awesome my friends!

Thanks so much!

And I still want to stop by your place the next time I’m in Tennessee. That place looks cool!

Comment

• Here you go Wolf.

Name:	20170815_194604.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	100138

Comment

If it doesn’t look weird I may look into the TI mod so I don’t give him a chance to say “I told you so” LOL.
                                    And I will and already have...one guy bragged about having 28 flights with no issues at all, then 29 got him.

TiredIron Aviation

Comment

• That was me with the basketball analogy . Was undefeated at 26-0 then 26-1, then 29-2. . LOL Kind of fell asleep at the wheel

Comment

• So I've got to go on a RANT here which is not what I have ever done on this forum but I think everyone including Motion needs to be aware of this.
                                        During the process of my reclamation of electronics from the destroyed Artic Thunder A-10, this disturbing find was uncovered.

Name:	IMG_0721.JPG
Views:	454
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	100161

What you are looking at is the port outer flap servo that has 2 of it's leads spliced back together. THIS WAS DONE AT THE FACTORY.
                                        Now to me, having a repaired part installed into a brand new $600 model is just unadulterated BULL:Poo: ..................SERIOUSLY FREEWING :Angry:
                                        Someone needs to have the factory stop with the cutting corners practice and give the customer a full value product
                                        Warbird Charlie
                                        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• OV - Hope my browser is not belly up, but the photo you just posted of the splice doesn't show up.....?

Cheers,
                                          Dan

Comment

Working...
                                          X