X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tim K View Post
    So I made a couple of scale additions to my Corsairs landing gear and wheels. I 3d printed scissors and disk breaks. I would like to add the folding braces too but I don't think there will be enough space in the wing.
    Now we're talking!! :Cool::Cool:
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Tim K View Post
      So I made a couple of scale additions to my Corsairs landing gear and wheels. I 3d printed scissors and disk breaks. I would like to add the folding braces too but I don't think there will be enough space in the wing.
      Now that is talent.................some of the best printer stuff I've seen submitted.:Cool:
      I thought it was about time when FL did the scissor on the Spitty cause all FW struts have been barren in the past.:)
      How could they not do them on this Corsair.:Confused::(
      Warbird Charlie
      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Hi. New to hobbysquawk. Been longtime member on other forum's.

i have the birdcage version. I would like to ask on the decals where do the narrow cut black stripes go? Guessing they are about 1/8" wide and maybe 15 or so in number.
        thanks in advanced.

Comment

• Never mind. I found a picture. I will maiden mine tomorrow. Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by Lowknifedge View Post
            I will maiden mine tomorrow. Thanks!
            LKE, Welcome to "The Squawk"! :) Great advice here and just a bunch of great "Guys & Gals". :Cool: Best of Luck on your First Check Flight! Best, LB
            I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
            ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Thanks! I have been following this thread awhile. I have always loved the Corsair. Grew up watching Baa Baa Black Sheep.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lowknifedge View Post
                Thanks! I have been following this thread awhile. I have always loved the Corsair. Grew up watching Baa Baa Black Sheep.
                Yeppers, didn't we all. LOL Best, LB

Click image for larger version

Name:	Blacksheep Series 1976.jpg
Views:	758
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	175940
                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post
                  I thought it was about time when FL did the scissor on the Spitty cause all FW struts have been barren in the past.:) How could they not do them on this Corsair.:Confused::(
                  Yeah that was the one only real head-scratcher to me as well. As beautifully scaled out as this model is, I was disappointed when the struts weren't given the same scale treatment. I did mention it to Alpha but it always boils down to having to make concessions here and there to keep within a targeted price point. Tim K did a wonderful job with the 3D parts! Would love to make those available. And if we could somehow figure out the folding braces, yowza!!

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Been chatting with Elbee regarding the downloadable STL files...Here's an image of where I had to cut (in green) in order to get all the parts to fit in the OEM foam cockpit tub.

Name:	cut.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	282.6 KB
ID:	175946
                    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Just got my 3d printed parts in the mail from my co-worker (who owns a 3d printer) i'm so psyched, still saving up for the F4u, but can start painting the cockpit!!!!

Attached Files

Comment

• I have both 1/8 and 1/7 Aces of Iron pilots on hand. The scale of this model is 1/7.8, so 1/7 for all practical purposes. But clearly to my eye and tons of reference I've collected, the 1/8 pilot is too small. My NORMAL complaint is pilots that are too large. I've decided on the 1/7 AOI pilot and started making the rest of his body. I think this goes to show how in many cases the "advertised" scale of a pilot bust can be off the mark. Felt this about many of the Williams Bros. pilots as well.

My flying buddy has started to print the 3D cockpit components for me. I've never used these before, so that'll be an experiment.

At the risk of being labeled the "Scale Police", I do want to share what I think is the the one thing terribly wrong on this Corsair, and something that could have been fixed early on with zero cost change: the birdcage canopy framing is too thin/narrow. Normally, models make the frames too wide (like the FMS 1500mm P-47). Not only are the frames too thin, they only made a "single" frame where the sliding portion would hit the windscreen -- there should be two. Finally, at the rear of the sliding portion, there was actually no frame at all.

The frames are about 1/8" wide as produced. I did some careful enlargements of the best photos I could find in Dana Bell's fantastic birdcage reference book, scaled them in Photoshop and determined that the frames should actually be 3/16" wide -- 50% wider than they are.

I consider this the kind of thing that was visibly wrong to me, even from a few feet, so it was the first order of business for me to correct.

The photos show how I went about repainting. I had already removed the frame from the simulated rear edge of the sliding portion using isopropyl alcohol.

PLEASE note that I think that nearly everything on this model, as produced, is a 10 out of 10! It's the best foamie Corsair ever produced and worth every penny -- even with the price increase (although I pre-ordered the morning after the big "reveal").

I have purchased 3.5" Robart wheels, which I think are a slight improvement over the 3.375" supplied. Scale diameter, believe it or not, would be 4.1". But no way that (or anything close) would be practical.

Finally, just sent my Corel file to Callie for output. Keeping the kit paint (too beautiful to overpaint out of the box), but all new graphics.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• MS, Bravo Zulu. Best, LB
                          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Well done! When it comes to the Corsair Scale Police away! She deserves the attention to detail!
                            My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Does anybody have any coupon codes?? I’m about to order the Birdcage version!!
                              thanks!

Comment

• Sorry we don't have any coupon codes. And beware of any external site that says otherwise, it's a scam.
                                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Guys, I am really stumped on this - regarding the 3D printed cockpit parts. I can't figure out the gunsight.

I haven't been able to find many pictures of the real thing - the Corsairs we see these days don't have it.
                                  From what I've been able to see, it looks like there was a reflector panel in front of the gunsight that angles back toward the pilot. The top of the gunsight is supposed to be a flat circle (that's where the lens is).

The instrument panel part seems to have an angled support for the missing reflector panel. But, there is a separate gunsight part that you get with the 3D set, and it looks to me like I'd have to completely remove the center part of the instrument panel to put it in. The separate gunsight part obviously should NOT be glued on top of the original instrument panel part. Because - from the pic I found (below), the bottom half of the gunsight sits below the top edge of the instrument panel.

So it seems to me like the separate gunsight is supposed to replace the less-detailed thing that's sitting in the center of the instrument panel.

What do you guys think, how is the separate gunsight part supposed to be installed?

Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• This is the way it should look at least for this 3D cockpit kit...

Name:	newcockpit2.jpg
Views:	710
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	175988
                                    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Thank you Aros, that's what I assumed from looking at the part, but I can't help but think that it's upside down!
                                      Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Originally posted by themudduck View Post
                                        Guys, I am really stumped on this - regarding the 3D printed cockpit parts. I can't figure out the gunsight.

I haven't been able to find many pictures of the real thing - the Corsairs we see these days don't have it.
                                        From what I've been able to see, it looks like there was a reflector panel in front of the gunsight that angles back toward the pilot. The top of the gunsight is supposed to be a flat circle (that's where the lens is).

The instrument panel part seems to have an angled support for the missing reflector panel. But, there is a separate gunsight part that you get with the 3D set, and it looks to me like I'd have to completely remove the center part of the instrument panel to put it in. The separate gunsight part obviously should NOT be glued on top of the original instrument panel part. Because - from the pic I found (below), the bottom half of the gunsight sits below the top edge of the instrument panel.

So it seems to me like the separate gunsight is supposed to replace the less-detailed thing that's sitting in the center of the instrument panel.

What do you guys think, how is the separate gunsight part supposed to be installed?

The larger gun site is for later model Corsairs. You would have to remove the attached one to use the big one. I will only speak of the small one that’s attached as it applies to my F4U-1 Birdcage.
                                        Behind the actual windscreen was a bullet proof glass to protect the pilots from frontal attack. It had nothing to do with the gunsight. The gunsight proper on early models was small and was comprised of the projector lens below and the reflector glass above. The reflector glass is angled at approximately 45 degrees to the projector.
                                        Study the attached pictures and you’ll see what I’m explaining. The Australian F4U-1 restoration cockpit shows the upper reflector lens flipped horizontal and this may indeed be to aid pilot forward visibility when the gun site was not in use. Another thing to note is the bubble level to be used during an attack. Before wasting ammunition the fuselage of the Corsair had to be aligned with the target and not slipping sideways through the air or the bullets would be left or right of the target. One last check on that slip indicator, step on the ball n center it, then fire!

Click image for larger version  Name:	145FA459-BE51-4E46-A990-F98A3BBB3F64.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	207.8 KB ID:	175996Click image for larger version  Name:	0022CB52-C3DB-49F3-B88B-0F9587B5B57A.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	68.4 KB ID:	175995Click image for larger version  Name:	E91C94FE-254D-4049-B2CB-F6F64E05BA7E.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	61.0 KB ID:	175997Click image for larger version  Name:	3088AA50-9183-4AA1-8518-7D12679E8A20.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	47.9 KB ID:	175998Click image for larger version  Name:	14AF65E6-BA9B-4B81-8C58-66878E2502DC.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	86.7 KB ID:	175999

Comment

• From the beginning I’ve not been fond of the main wheels. They are indeed undersized and as I stated in an earlier post, I’d be stuffing the biggest Robart scale’s in there I could.
                                          I ordered 3 3/4 inch scales and they finally arrived. With some careful sanding they indeed fit and will be the largest size you can fit into her.
                                          I used my dremel and a larger drum sander to do the deed. There will be a small gap at the rear of the gear doors but I’d rather have the big tires and the gap is a minimal sacrifice.

Name:	6525A7DF-0C09-46A4-96E5-54867BD43E7B.jpeg
Views:	704
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	176004Click image for larger version

Name:	E78E1852-A623-4737-9E1D-1F9B38ADE289.jpeg
Views:	748
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	176010Click image for larger version

Name:	F7776E29-7C76-479D-87FC-B78A6F7526A0.jpeg
Views:	729
Size:	103.9 KB