Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got my birdcage the other day and assembled it today. It's beautiful, however, I have a question about the throttle setting/calibration. I have a Spektrum DX7. Typically, I set the throttle trim all the way to the bottom when I bind and then with the prop off after plugging in the battery move the throttle from the bottom to the top and back to bottom What I'm experiencing is after doing all that I still have to move the throttle about 20% before the motor starts to spin. If I move the throttle trim all the way to the top then it will start to spin when I begin to move the throttle off the bottom. It seems to have full throttle at the top. What are other folks doing with regards to the throttle or what am I doing wrong? Haven't had this issue with other planes/esc's including the FL P-38 Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by Chalredline1 View Post
      I got my birdcage the other day and assembled it today. It's beautiful, however, I have a question about the throttle setting/calibration. I have a Spektrum DX7. Typically, I set the throttle trim all the way to the bottom when I bind and then with the prop off after plugging in the battery move the throttle from the bottom to the top and back to bottom What I'm experiencing is after doing all that I still have to move the throttle about 20% before the motor starts to spin. If I move the throttle trim all the way to the top then it will start to spin when I begin to move the throttle off the bottom. It seems to have full throttle at the top. What are other folks doing with regards to the throttle or what am I doing wrong? Haven't had this issue with other planes/esc's including the FL P-38 Thanks
      If I take what you said verbatim, the way you say you calibrated the throttle is not correct.
      Turn your Tx on with throttle stick at full top.
      Now plug the LiPo into the plane.
      You'll hear the motor give a double chirp sound indicating the ESC went to default safe mode.
      Now pull the throttle stick to full bottom.
      You should now hear the ESC sing out(via motor) its initialization tones for cell count.
      Your ESC is now calibrated for the throttle range.
      Warbird Charlie
      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by Chalredline1 View Post
        I got my birdcage the other day and assembled it today. It's beautiful, however, I have a question about the throttle setting/calibration. I have a Spektrum DX7. Typically, I set the throttle trim all the way to the bottom when I bind and then with the prop off after plugging in the battery move the throttle from the bottom to the top and back to bottom What I'm experiencing is after doing all that I still have to move the throttle about 20% before the motor starts to spin. If I move the throttle trim all the way to the top then it will start to spin when I begin to move the throttle off the bottom. It seems to have full throttle at the top. What are other folks doing with regards to the throttle or what am I doing wrong? Haven't had this issue with other planes/esc's including the FL P-38 Thanks
        Do what Charlie described. TX on to full throttle. Then plug in the aircraft battery. 2 beeps, then go immediately to low throttle and let it initialize and you should be done!! :Cool:

Comment

• BTW. go back and do your other planes the same way, and you will have some more power and throttle response!!! It will be all good!!!

Comment

• Throttle trim should be at the lowest point and left there permanently. Throttle calibration should then be done as OV stated. Using the throttle trim like that to get the free play out of the throttle can be a bit dangerous as you will not be able to shut the throttle off completely and quickly when you want to. A further safeguard is to activate your throttle cut switch.

Comment

• Originally posted by apmech1 View Post
              I just remembered that Callie Graphics is using a picture of my 1700mm Corsair. It is in VMF223. The HP that Calliie offers was the initials of the civil owner of that corsair. WP was that squadron's actual letter designator. I did that for my dad as he was in VMA-223 when they flew A-4 Skyhawks. Well unfortunately he passed away yesterday, so I can't bring myself to part with the model. This is the livery that I have. My wife took the photo.

Chance Vought F4U-4 "Corsair" (9456) (USMC 97302) (NX68HP) (HP-68) (Howard Pardue) Photo by Erik Lacey

I recently purchased the FW A-4 and ordered the VMA-223 decals from Callie as well. I intended for my 2 sons myself and my dad to complete the plane together. Unfortunately we did not have the opportunity to finish the A-4 together.
              So sorry to hear you lost your father. It's the finality that gets you more than anything. Time will heal this wound and let you and your family remember the best of your dad. I feel your pain. Brad

Comment

• Jerry, you are a true gentleman if I may say so Sir!

Comment

• I will have to try this on all my planes also the throttle trim I just left at 0 so you say I can get better response and low throttle accuracy by doing this? My dx6 won't engage the motor til around 15 or 20 as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by sethscorsair View Post
                    I will have to try this on all my planes also the throttle trim I just left at 0 so you say I can get better response and low throttle accuracy by doing this? My dx6 won't engage the motor til around 15 or 20 as well.
                    If by "0", you mean as low as the trim will go, then yes. It's actually -129 on the monitor. Remember what OV-10 said about calibrating the throttle? Once the trim is down and you do the calibration, the motor should start up within 1 or 2 "clicks" from the start. It won't necessarily get you "better throttle response", but the ESC will know where zero and 100% throttle is. Right now, it doesn't. Just do the throttle calibration as stated and see what happens. You can't believe it till you try it.

Comment

• Surtout !!! N oubliez pas de retirer l hélice avant toute manoeuvre

Comment

• Originally posted by didier galmiche View Post
                        Surtout !!! N oubliez pas de retirer l hélice avant toute manoeuvre
                        Toujours de bons conseils! :Cool:

My YouTube RC videos:
                        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• QUOTE=Hardway;n175171]

My heart hurts for you and your family. May the Lord give you His peace and comfort and grace... When the time is right, finish the plane with your boys and do it in your Dad's honor!! Jerry [/QUOTE]

Thank you, Jerry, for your kind words. My 2 sons, 1 just turned 18 and the other is 6 and my daughter who is 12, were all looking at pictures that he had from his A-4. We all worked together putting Callie's decals (which my daughter called stickers lol). They debated over what Gramps said and I mediated :). We were smiling and laughing, and for a while all seemed right in the universe. Thank you again.
                          ps final photos of the model will be displayed at his service and already the kids are proud of what they have done. I will post them here as well.

Comment

• Thank you all for your kind words about my father.

Back to the Corsair.
                            i orderd mine on Sunday. The A (birdcage) and really love that paint scheme. As I mentioned before I have the FMS 1700mm Corsair. I do like how it flies and lands. But i DO NOT fly this near dawn or dusk. The dark paint job makes it easy to lose orientation. I cant wait to check that one out. My 6 yr old says it's his. I said no, santa just bought you a 1450mm p-51. His response: "What, I can't have 2 planes?" I told him he can have 2 when he gets a job or a hand me down....;)

Comment

• Thanks OV-10. I tried what you noted about how to calibrate the throttle range. When I plug the lipo in I hear a musical chirp (do do doop sound) then I hear beep, pause, beep, pause,etc. I never hear just a double beep. So, I've tried moving the throttle back down immediately after the initial chirping sound as well as after a couple of beeps. Then I hear the 6 beep sound for the lipo engage. I still have to move the throttle stick up at least 4 clicks before the motor engages. BTW, I'm binding with the throttle trim at the bottom -100 on the main screen (throttle subtrim shows -129) and attempting to do the throttle calibration with it there as well.
                              Also, this is done with throttle cut off. I get high throttle warning when I power on the tx. Also using a Lemon rx
                              Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by apmech1 View Post
                                Thank you all for your kind words about my father.

Back to the Corsair.
                                i orderd mine on Sunday. The A (birdcage) and really love that paint scheme. As I mentioned before I have the FMS 1700mm Corsair. I do like how it flies and lands. But i DO NOT fly this near dawn or dusk. The dark paint job makes it easy to lose orientation. I cant wait to check that one out. My 6 yr old says it's his. I said no, santa just bought you a 1450mm p-51. His response: "What, I can't have 2 planes?" I told him he can have 2 when he gets a job or a hand me down....;)
                                After flying the birdcage a bit it's lighter blue blends in nicely with the sky during the day. The good part is when you roll it around the two color bottom helps a lot. With that said it's better than a solid overall scheme.

Comment

• I wasn't going to actually start this project, but it was sitting there. :Silly: I removed the stock pilot and part of the base he was sitting on... More foam will come out below that to help accommodate the Warbirds pilot... Next, after sanding the mold marks off and seams on the leading edges, I started to give a base coat of aluminum. It will be over the entire airframe except the control surfaces... Then panels of chromate yellow and dark gray and gunmetal will be added in places. Then the real work begins!! :Whew:

Comment

• After spraying these parts, I am glad that most of the silver will be covered... Silver just shows every little flaw in the foam surface... But this foam is really nice, non-the-less. :Cool:

Comment

• Originally posted by Hardway View Post
                                      After spraying these parts, I am glad that most of the silver will be covered... Silver just shows every little flaw in the foam surface... But this foam is really nice, non-the-less. :Cool:
                                      My YouTube RC videos:
                                      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• I know it isn't the correct color scheme for the Royal Navy but at 50ft and 50mph she looks like a Corsair anyway! Added an FMS T'Cat engine mold -- not sure worth the $ and work to do ? Has Mr RC Sound, P/W sound system which drowns out any natural prop noise very well. Looking at that large three blade finger slicer also added a SafeStart system. The panel mold lines are huge so why not highlight them I say.

Looks like a 12mph, 90 degree cross wind tomorrow, not good for the maiden so the EDF's will have to be flown.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hardway View Post
                                          I wasn't going to actually start this project, but it was sitting there. :Silly: I removed the stock pilot and part of the base he was sitting on... More foam will come out below that to help accommodate the Warbirds pilot... Next, after sanding the mold marks off and seams on the leading edges, I started to give a base coat of aluminum. It will be over the entire airframe except the cloth covered control surfaces... Then panels of chromate yellow and dark gray and gunmetal will be added in places. Then the real work begins!! :Whew:
                                          I am on the same page Jerry! I hate those pesky mold marks too! I've been researching the yellow chromate versus zinc...I see photos of engine compartment and components but none of wheel wells and wing roots? I can't wait to try the aluminum technique...it will mean a coat of hairspray on top before the color coat, and then I'm thinking a clear coat on top of that for decals and washes. This is such a large canvas, and it will take a lot of paint, but the result will be awesome! I learned a lot from doing the A-10...I can't wait to see how yours turns out! Rob

Comment

Working...
                                          X