Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hardway View Post
    Cockpit details....
    Jerry, check this out!! It is from the website of a pro builder, Larry Horyna. This is a 1:32 scale Tamiya kit. Here's the website...some amazingly accurate detail! https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/b...am_60325.shtml

And did you listen to the audio on my previous post of the Corsair flyby??? Check it out at 1:45 min/sec! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQxb-V-rZqA That is the sound of Whistling Death! Rob

Comment

• It warms my heart to see so much attention to detail when it comes to this great bird. Salute!
      My YouTube RC videos:
      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Mine was delivered today and have to say the finish is the best "in foam" so far. In many places, even getting the light to hit just right, I cannot see any cell structure whatsoever ! I expect that the foam density required to eliminate cell visibility does make for a heavier component, seems the current F/L and F/W models are much "denser" EPO foam than my ancient F-7F, F-86 or A-6 models are.
        Looks like mine might be the only stock version you will see out there with all of this brilliant weathering, cockpit detailing, etc, .that is being done --- mine will have Brit insignia and a sound system (with whistle) though.
        Do not see where those red/green/white dots (decals) go? Must be for some cap or inspection port ?

Comment

• Originally posted by brk6188 View Post
          Mine was delivered today and have to say the finish is the best "in foam" so far. In many places, even getting the light to hit just right, I cannot see any cell structure whatsoever ! I expect that the foam density required to eliminate cell visibility does make for a heavier component, seems the current F/L and F/W models are much "denser" EPO foam than my ancient F-7F, F-86 or A-6 models are.
          Looks like mine might be the only stock version you will see out there with all of this brilliant weathering, cockpit detailing, etc, .that is being done --- mine will have Brit insignia and a sound system (with whistle) though.
          Do not see where those red/green/white dots (decals) go? Must be for some cap or inspection port ?
          Formation lights on the bottom of the wing! Let me find a reference picture!!! Glad you are here on the Squawk... I have to cut up a brisket that just came off of 12 hours on slow heat!!! Please stand by!!

Comment

• Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post

Fits perfectly :Cool:
            That's what she said......but seriously I'm wondering if the 2.6X weight of the Robart wheels over the standard stock wheels will affect the retracts? Will we need to upgrade to a more robust retract at some point to accommodate the weight?

Comment

• Originally posted by Grover54 View Post

That's what she said......but seriously I'm wondering if the 2.6X weight of the Robart wheels over the standard stock wheels will affect the retracts? Will we need to upgrade to a more robust retract at some point to accommodate the weight?
              No, they should be fine.
              TiredIron Aviation
              Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• I can't speak directly to the weight difference, but I would think it would be minimal over the life of the airframe. It is quite a bit heavier... However, in the entire scheme of things, new retracts are about 17.00 per side, so I am going with the scale. Just make sure and do the CG with the gear UP. I have seen two corsairs (big boys) bite the dust when the gear came up. Instantly tail heavy and back with no expo, bam, it the dirt they went!! ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by RCAV8R View Post

Jerry, check this out!! It is from the website of a pro builder, Larry Horyna. This is a 1:32 scale Tamiya kit. Here's the website...some amazingly accurate detail! https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/b...am_60325.shtml

And did you listen to the audio on my previous post of the Corsair flyby??? Check it out at 1:45 min/sec! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQxb-V-rZqA That is the sound of Whistling Death! Rob
                  Yes, the whistle is very distinct in the video!!! Love it!!!! :Cool::Cool::Cool:And thanks for the link!!! Details details!!

Comment

• Originally posted by brk6188 View Post
                    Mine was delivered today and have to say the finish is the best "in foam" so far. In many places, even getting the light to hit just right, I cannot see any cell structure whatsoever ! I expect that the foam density required to eliminate cell visibility does make for a heavier component, seems the current F/L and F/W models are much "denser" EPO foam than my ancient F-7F, F-86 or A-6 models are.
                    Here is where I think they go... Hope this helps!! :-) ;)

Comment

Formation lights on the bottom of the wing! Let me find a reference picture!!! Glad you are here on the Squawk... I have to cut up a brisket that just came off of 12 hours on slow heat!!! Please stand by!!
                      Brisket!! 12 hours on slow heat!! Standing by!!:Drooling::Drooling: Reminds me of my family roots. My dad was born in Muleshoe,Texas and the family farm was in Plainview. DO DAT BARBEQUE!

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post

Brisket!! 12 hours on slow heat!! Standing by!!:Drooling::Drooling: Reminds me of my family roots. My dad was born in Muleshoe,Texas and the family farm was in Plainview. DO DAT BARBEQUE!
                        Love it. Huge metropolis of Muleshoe! Come home!

Comment

• You know how Plainview got it's name don't you? Back when folks were crossing the country a wagon stopped out in west Texas near where Plainview is located today and a lady gets out of a wagon and asks "Where can I go to use the bathroom?" And the guy says "Well just go right over there". And the she says "Right here in plain view?". Bada Boom!

Comment

Under the right wing, I'll get an image for you...

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	CorsairFormationLights.jpg
Views:	697
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	173728

Comment

• Nice picture Beeg.

The red, green, and amber lights on the lower right wing were Aircraft Recognition Lights so the colors of the day could be flashed recognizing the aircraft to ground gunners as Friendly not Foe, early IFF...

Comment

• Originally posted by Ole-Timer View Post
                                  Nice picture Beeg.

The red, green, and amber lights on the lower right wing were Aircraft Recognition Lights so the colors of the day could be flashed recognizing the aircraft to ground gunners as Friendly not Foe, early IFF...
                                  Yes. Technically the the red, green, amber lights were the recognition lights located only on the bottom right wing. The "Formation" lights, on the wing, were amber and located on the tops of both wings.
                                  Click image for larger version

Name:	CorsairFormationLights1.jpg
Views:	712
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	173733

Name:	CorsairFormationLights2.jpg
Views:	685
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	173734

Comment

• Originally posted by Grover54 View Post

Tim K - Nice work there cowboy! Looks like you didn't have any issues removing the canopy. How did you do it? What tools and release agent did you use? Thanks!
                                    I scored around the canopy with an x-acto and then pried it up. I came back later and touched up the paint.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tim K View Post
                                      I got my Corsair this weekend and got to start working on it. I am painting it in the three color scheme and have decals on the way from Calie Graphics for the plane of Ira Cassius Kepford of VF-17. I got most of the plane painted up and am now working on getting the 3d printed cockpit parts installed. I am having to a bit of modifications to get them to fit. One thing that is bugging me is the two cockpit pieces on the sides extend above the foam and the back side can be seen through the canopy. I was thinking I would have to mod the canopy a bit in order to hide this. Anyone else have this issue?
                                      Click image for larger version Name:	f4u corsair1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	130.4 KB ID:	173623Click image for larger version Name:	f4u corsair 2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	79.7 KB ID:	173622Click image for larger version Name:	f4u cocpit3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	91.7 KB ID:	173621Click image for larger version Name:	f4u cocpit2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	94.8 KB ID:	173620Click image for larger version Name:	f4u cocpit.jpg Views:	1 Size:	85.2 KB ID:	173619
                                      Ok, Tim K and the guys.....excuse me if this has already been covered but I can't find the details. It sounds like all these beautiful detailed cockpits are produced by a 3D printer? I'm not ready to invest in that or start eating Top Ramen like HardwayLOLLOLLOL My question is where do you get the image or file to print 1:8 scale and where do you go to use a 3D printer? Kinko's? UPS? or should I just wait until Hardway gets his 3D printer in February and pay him to do it for me? LOL;)

Comment

• Originally posted by Beeg View Post

Yes. Technically the the red, green, amber lights were the recognition lights located only on the bottom right wing. The "Formation" lights, on the wing, were amber and located on the tops of both wings.

Name:	CorsairFormationLights1.jpg
Views:	712
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	173733

Name:	CorsairFormationLights2.jpg
Views:	685
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	173734
                                        Very cool information and history. I did not know that on those lights. I love these bits of information. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

TK, I like the Tri-Color, big time. As for your cockpit, it looks like you've already added some extra material to the cockpit sides to increase the height, so does the portion of the canopy that's OEM painted NOT cover the exposed 3DP cockpit panel and any material you have added? Am I seeing this correctly? Best, LB
                                          Yes the sides on the 3d cockpit are higher than the painted parts on the canopy so you see the back of the panel. I am going to modify the canopy to add some additional canopy frames at the top so I will adjust the bottom frame up to cover when I do it. Im just waiting on my decals from Callie to finish this up. I am looking at least a week of crappy weather before I could maiden it anyway so no hurry.

Comment

Working...
                                          X