Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone else modify real flight aircraft to mimic the specs of their aircraft? Not only do I modify the physics of the realflight models, I go overboard and create custom paint schemes that are an exact match of my own custom model. I have a really nice birdcage F4U model I modified. It would be awesome if plane mfgs would create a custom realflight plane that flies like the actual so when the weather sucks we could still practice and get a feel for the aircraft before our maidens. ;)

Comment

• apmech1 I would love to know more about how you modify your Real Flight models...I try but don't know what the hell I am doing! LOL
      My YouTube RC videos:
      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by themudduck View Post

It wasn't too hard - I used a belt sander. On my first try I shaved too much off - but I had two cones, and I was more careful with the second one!
        Afterwards I measured it and the shaved FMS cone is the same height as the original MRC prop cone.
        I'll try to find a friend with a belt sander. I have a couple extra hubs, too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
          apmech1 I would love to know more about how you modify your Real Flight models...I try but don't know what the hell I am doing! LOL
          + one on that plus how to use the dongle for my IX 12:Confused:

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20190331_113354.jpg
Views:	1324
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	187650Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20190331_113444.jpg
Views:	1309
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	187651Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20190331_113427.jpg
Views:	1189
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	187652 Finally got the basic tricolor scheme done on the bubble top. Still some touchup to do but she's finally on her feet. Got paint on the tires through the gear doors but the Robart 3 1/2" new shoes are next. I used an antique white underneath as straight white just seemed to stark. Even this looks pretty stark in the pictures but oh well. It will probably calm down with some weathering.

Comment

• DWL, OUTSTANDING! Best, LB
              I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
              ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Great job Brad!! :Cool: :Cool:
                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

apmech1 I would love to know more about how you modify your Real Flight models...I try but don't know what the hell I am doing! LOL
                  I start with a model that I download or one that is un the expansion packs. I then go into the model editor and use the edit drop down and select rescale physics to get the physics width down to the wingspan of my plane. I then change the graphical width to match my physics. I then usually have to change the power typ to electric. I usually have to re duce weight on all components (fuselage, wings, landing gears etc) to get the overall weight to match the model in question. I manually move the cg to the amount that the manual calls for. I change the motor to close to the size / kv of the motor in the mode. (You can edito the motors as well like weight & kv). On the battery, I take the weight of my 6s pack and dived the weight by 6 to get the weight of a single cell.. I edit the battery cell to capacity, c rating and weight of a single cell. I set the Amp limit to mirror the amp limit of my esc. I modify the prop diameter and pitch and blade count to match my model. Then I fly it and make small adjustments to make it fly the way I think the real model will fly, based on videos and reviews.

then I ceeate a color scheme to be an exact match to my model. Usually takes me about 2 hours to complete the whole process. I am going to set up a f-18 to mimic the physics of the new f-18.;)

Comment

• Sweet! Thanks for the info...Do you have any links to your models in the Knife Edge forum?

And to keep the thread on track, I just flew mine today and man there was a brutal cross wind on the landing...Lifted the wing up and thought :Scared: but luckily it came back down.
                    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Glad to hear you didnt lose it. I will upload them to knife edge then send you the link. If you get it running, let me know how it compares to the actual model. I have been waiting for better weather.

Comment

• Originally posted by apmech1 View Post
                        Glad to hear you didnt lose it. I will upload them to knife edge then send you the link. If you get it running, let me know how it compares to the actual model. I have been waiting for better weather.
                        Awesome! Look forward to it! Thanks!
                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Thanks to Elbee and Todd for the kind words. Finally made some progress while I'm waiting for the blue box for F 22. Had to banish myself out to the garage for the build (just before the wife did)LOL

Comment

Awesome! Look forward to it! Thanks!
                            FLRC 1600mm F4U-1A

Comment

• Is this "prop" issue going on a problem with the prop setup? The setup looks like the F7F setup which has crashed quite a few planes from blowing apart.

Comment

• Originally posted by prestonowtm View Post
                                Is this "prop" issue going on a problem with the prop setup? The setup looks like the F7F setup which has crashed quite a few planes from blowing apart.
                                What issue specifically are you referring to?

Comment

Will this one work on realflight 6.5?

Comment

Cool, thanks! :Cool:
                                    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by prestonowtm View Post
                                      Is this "prop" issue going on a problem with the prop setup? The setup looks like the F7F setup which has crashed quite a few planes from blowing apart.
                                      PRESTON - If you're referring to the FL Corsair 1600mm 3-blade (18X12) prop setup, an earlier posting asked if the FMS 1700mm Corsair 4-blade (17X10) prop setup (Pic 1) will work with the FL 1600mm? The answer from TiredIron was yes but you'd need the 4-blade prop hub / holder. Turns out the FMS 1700mm P51 also used that same 17X10 props so I wanted to use that same 4-blade setup on my H9 P51 20cc because I like the prop hub / holder.
                                      Unfortunately I've discovered the FMS 1700mm P51 (17X10) 4-blade prop setup (Pic 1) - and spinner (Pic 2) had a reputation of blowing apart BUT - FMS came out with a new prop, a 17X9 (FMMPROP001 - Pic 3) which solved the problem. They're much flatter at the root for a better hold so I purchased a couple sets of those 17X9 props and spinners since they're discontinued. The good news is I ended up with just some extra Corsair 17X10 props and a 4-blade hub/holder so I can interchange between the 3-blade and 4-blade just for looks. :Cool: Now - back to just the Corsair...……:)

Click image for larger version

Name:	FMS 17X10 prop for FMS P51 and Corsair.jpg
Views:	769
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	187909Click image for larger version

Name:	FMS Yellow Spinner.jpg
Views:	745
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	187911Click image for larger version

Name:	FMMPROP001 FMS Prop.jpg
Views:	694
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	187910

Comment

• Good deal...worried me for a bit since this is my next plane. The F7 I have is incredible but the prop issue sucked bad until I found a fix. Wasn't wanting to do the same thing here.

Comment

• It's April Fool's day and this fool finally finished the Corsair. :Silly: The weathers been great with light winds off and on for the last month, but wouldn't you know it, now that I'm ready to fly, the forecast is for our typical Spring high winds for a while. Oh well, that's my luck but I gotta say I love this plane. Did several of the modifications I learned from all you outstanding modelers here on the Squawk, including: Mr RC Sound System, 1/7 scale Navy Warbirds pilot with moving head, the 3D instrument panel that a super nice Squawker printed for me, the 3.5" Robart wheels, the copper fuel lines on the cylinders, an outlandish paint scheme (no, no one from this thread was stupid enough to recommend the paint scheme I used-you should see the bottom, another totally different scheme blue/white/red so when she rolls over it looks totally different) and just finished applying 4 coats of the gloss exterior Spar Urethane.

I was planning on using the Satin finish, but the foam on this plane is the smoothest I've ever seen, so I used gloss (and hey, I'm a shiny gloss kind of guy, god forbid it would in anyway resemble anything scale). From 4 feet or more away, she looks like a wood/monokote model. I also used a host of different graphics from Callie instead of just one livery. You shouldn't be surprised by that, I can't have my plane looking like anyone else's (not that anyone else is crazy enough to do what I did).

I know I posted this earlier, but here is a video of the moving pilot and the sound system: https://youtu.be/r4DPjE9gaNc

Got a little carried away with the urethane and ended up also doing my FL Spitfire, both F-4's, both B-24's and a host of other planes. Used about 2/3 of a gallon already and still planning on doing another 8 planes - I really love the hard shell it gives and the look of the surface (Although using Semi-Gloss on a couple others and Satin on several others).

But I have to say this is the best Corsair on the market. It's a good pound and a half lighter than the 1700mm FMS "dog" Corsair with more power, so can't wait to get it in the air.

Anyone tried the 6000mah battery? Suppose you could remove the weights up front and move the battery back slightly and still get the CG correct. I ended up using only 3 weights in the nose (the sound system affected that) with the battery all the way forward. The 6000 is only 4 ounces heavier that the 5000, so it might be a nice change. Imagine you might get 7-8 minutes or more of flight time.:corsair
                                          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                          Hangar: Mig 29 "Cobra", 8S EuroFighter-Bronze Tiger, A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, 8S F16 Wild Weasel, 8S F4 Jolly Rodgers & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, B-24, Stinger 90, Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 62" Extra 300, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, 62" Edge Demonstrator. FMS-SU-30,1700mm P-51, Corsair, Viper, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P51.

Comment

Working...
                                          X