Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official FlightLine F4U-1A Corsair 1600mm (63") Wingspan

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
    Good to know thanks! I usually don't swap out my wheels...Looks like a trip to the local hardware store is imminent. ;)
    Yeah I used brass tubing on my Robarts because even after drilling out the plastic bushings, they weren't spinning freely enough and had a tiny bit of wobble. I think I left one plastic bushing in on the outside and the rest was brass tubing held in by the wheel collar/strut. BTW I used a wheel collar instead of the original spacer to keep the wheel from rubbing on the strut.:Cool:

Comment

• Good to know, thanks Brad!
      My YouTube RC videos:
      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Sending the Multi Function Control (Blue) Box to MotionRC. They want to check it out.

Comment

• Hey all, so I've had my Corsair since mid March, and I'm finally getting to put some time into it. I got it all together and testing all the Servo's etc. I've skimmed thru the forum and I think I am having a similar 'blue box' issue with the tail wheel. With gear down I have zero tail wheel or rudder control. With gear up I have full rudder control. So I've went so far as to hold full rudder while bringing the gear down and the rudder becomes stuck in that full throw position. Then I can move all the controls and at some point the rudder and tail wheel jumps erratically and the rudder becomes un stuck, but then no control on either (tailwheel/rudder) from that point. I have noticed that if I do a lot of alerion movement with the gear down it causes the tail wheel to jump here and there as well. I haven't notice any loss in elevator or alerion control at any point. I'm going to try the direct y-harness and see how that goes, but obviously this is pretty concerning.

Comment

• Originally posted by sfcfury View Post
            Hey all, so I've had my Corsair since mid March, and I'm finally getting to put some time into it. I got it all together and testing all the Servo's etc. I've skimmed thru the forum and I think I am having a similar 'blue box' issue with the tail wheel. With gear down I have zero tail wheel or rudder control. With gear up I have full rudder control. So I've went so far as to hold full rudder while bringing the gear down and the rudder becomes stuck in that full throw position. Then I can move all the controls and at some point the rudder and tail wheel jumps erratically and the rudder becomes un stuck, but then no control on either (tailwheel/rudder) from that point. I have noticed that if I do a lot of alerion movement with the gear down it causes the tail wheel to jump here and there as well. I haven't notice any loss in elevator or alerion control at any point. I'm going to try the direct y-harness and see how that goes, but obviously this is pretty concerning.
            OK , I had about the same experience with mine , using Spektrum radio, 7 ,8 and 9 channel Spektrum rx , changed to 6 channel rx and all was good , go figure . About 2 months ago I lost the RF board on the tx , ( 6 yr old radio ) and crashed the Corsair , still repairable but have not done anything to it yet , soon I hope

Comment

• I have had my corsair up 5 times now. She handles good but lord is she slow. Not so slow that it is nearing stall speed, it seems to have decent power but there is not much difference between 50% throttle and 100%. My telemetry showed 61mph upwind and 69 down wind. My 1700mm seems to fly with much more authority upwind 82 and 90 down wind. I have recalibrated my esc, and no difference. I am using the admiral 6s 5000 50 c. Anyone else having this scenario?

Comment

• Originally posted by Crazystick View Post

OK , I had about the same experience with mine , using Spektrum radio, 7 ,8 and 9 channel Spektrum rx , changed to 6 channel rx and all was good , go figure . About 2 months ago I lost the RF board on the tx , ( 6 yr old radio ) and crashed the Corsair , still repairable but have not done anything to it yet , soon I hope
                Just to let you know you can send in your radio for a check for shipping and parts if needed.I send my DX9 in yearly for cleaning and checkup. Last cost was about $12 for shipping to HH , they shipped back at N/C. Good peace of mind. Could be a great savings in the pocket.

Ken

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken Smith View Post

Just to let you know you can send in your radio for a check for shipping and parts if needed.I send my DX9 in yearly for cleaning and checkup. Last cost was about $12 for shipping to HH , they shipped back at N/C. Good peace of mind. Could be a great savings in the pocket.

Ken
                  Thanks Ken . Don't believe that would have caught a RF board failure . I took off , climbed about 15' or more motor went to failsafe , Low power ,after stall plane dived but was able to bring nose almost level before impact . Clean break on fuselage broken prop , took rest of impact on gear . The jack screws on the retracts were pushed thru the retract case , the front of the retract mounts and thru the leading edge of the wing . I have all the parts for repairs but have other planes to get in the air , repair soon I hope . I live in Louisiana where I enjoy weekly flying and don't like down time , My choice and sometime you pay the piper , at least it was not a plane that had been flying for a long time . The radio I am using is a DX 18 first gen
                  Last edited by Crazystick; May 26, 2019, 09:42 AM. Reason: Radio info

Comment

• Originally posted by apmech1 View Post
                    I have had my corsair up 5 times now. She handles good but lord is she slow. Not so slow that it is nearing stall speed, it seems to have decent power but there is not much difference between 50% throttle and 100%. My telemetry showed 61mph upwind and 69 down wind. My 1700mm seems to fly with much more authority upwind 82 and 90 down wind. I have recalibrated my esc, and no difference. I am using the admiral 6s 5000 50 c. Anyone else having this scenario?
                    By "recalibrate" the ESC, do you mean you did the thing where you power it up with the throttle at max and then quickly move it to MIN when you hear the first beeps? Did you do this with the throttle trim as low as it will go? This should tell the ESC where 0 throttle and 100% throttle is. Doing this with the throttle trim in the starting middle position may cause slight confusion with the ESC. All new model memory start off with the throttle trim in the middle and should be set as low as it will go before throttle calibration for electrics. The middle position is for gas engines that need to idle.
                    Once it's been calibrated, you can (if you want to experiment with it) increase you servo travel for throttle to more than 100% to see if it will get you a little bit more. In general, it won't but won't hurt to give it a try.
                    Insofar as this Corsair's speed compared to the FMS Corsair, I'm using the same 4-blade prop as on my FMS Corsair and the speeds of both are fairly similar, perhaps the FMS is a bit faster but that may be an illusion due to the bigger size of it. As for acceleration, the FW/FL Corsair has a lot more "get up and go" since it's much lighter. With the 3-blade stock prop, the smaller Corsair should be about the same speed. Again, since I haven't installed my airspeed indicator on the planes, it may only be an illusion.

Comment

• Originally posted by karltrek View Post
                      Sending the Multi Function Control (Blue) Box to MotionRC. They want to check it out.
                      after winter, and the april and may showers I got the corsair out to the field sunday for maiden. I did notice that the tail wheel was not deploying completely. soon after I noticed when I powered up the flaps would go to half setting. checking my radio it was not. moved the slider then the switch and no flap movement at all. finally I plugged the flap plug from the blue box to the aileron socket in the rx and still no flaps. removed and powered up again and the flaps went to the half way position and did not move after. I had already removed the ailerons, elevator and rudder from the blue box. tonight I plan to remove the flaps as well.

once I get to it I think if I can get the tail wheel to deploy fully I will unplug it. I had so much going wrong at the field I never got back to does the rudder work when the retract does not fully deploy.

Joe
                      Platt: fw190d9 Dynaflite:PT-19 IMP:Macchi202 ESM:fw190 ESM:Tank, Hien Jackson:DH-2 BH:macchi200 Extr:fw190 Holman:me109F H9spit2 FL:F4u,spit 9 FW:me262 GP:us60, Stuka, cub, F4u PZ:me109, albi EF Hurri, T-28 FMS: 2x fw190, me109 Lone Star:Skat Kat RSCombat:2xfw190d9

Comment

• Originally posted by paladin View Post

after winter, and the april and may showers I got the corsair out to the field sunday for maiden. I did notice that the tail wheel was not deploying completely. soon after I noticed when I powered up the flaps would go to half setting. checking my radio it was not. moved the slider then the switch and no flap movement at all. finally I plugged the flap plug from the blue box to the aileron socket in the rx and still no flaps. removed and powered up again and the flaps went to the half way position and did not move after. I had already removed the ailerons, elevator and rudder from the blue box. tonight I plan to remove the flaps as well.

once I get to it I think if I can get the tail wheel to deploy fully I will unplug it. I had so much going wrong at the field I never got back to does the rudder work when the retract does not fully deploy.

Joe
                        You're not the first to not give that "blue box" some luv :( And it is now becoming more clear that it is not particular to this airframe only.
                        I'm sure your aware as I am having both worked in the electronics manufacturing zone that these limited/non high volume circuit builds could be skedgy due to traces, etc from hand solder layout.;)
                        Warbird Charlie
                        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• So, is the solution - even before using the “blue box” for the first time - to bypass it and go to Y connections? :Angry:

Comment

• Based on my own experience with it, I would say yes buypass it with flight controls and leave the landing gear on it for the sequencer.

Comment

• Does anyone have a rudder that they don't need mine split in half where the hinge was and cannot repair it. I can pay money.

Comment

• Originally posted by apmech1 View Post
                                I have had my corsair up 5 times now. She handles good but lord is she slow. Not so slow that it is nearing stall speed, it seems to have decent power but there is not much difference between 50% throttle and 100%. My telemetry showed 61mph upwind and 69 down wind. My 1700mm seems to fly with much more authority upwind 82 and 90 down wind. I have recalibrated my esc, and no difference. I am using the admiral 6s 5000 50 c. Anyone else having this scenario?
                                Full scale Corsair flies at 400 mph top speed. At 1/8 scale, 50 mph would be scale. So question is, how much faster than scale do you want to go? I'm flying mine on 5S 5000 mAh, and am very satisfied with speeds, and LOVE climbing ability even on just 5S. That big prop really pulls.

Comment

• Originally posted by sethscorsair View Post
                                  Does anyone have a rudder that they don't need mine split in half where the hinge was and cannot repair it. I can pay money.
                                  If I had one, it would be on the way to you... I am sorry that I can't help at this time! Good luck.... Jerry

Comment

• Originally posted by CorsairJock View Post
                                    Full scale Corsair flies at 400 mph top speed. At 1/8 scale, 50 mph would be scale. So question is, how much faster than scale do you want to go? I'm flying mine on 5S 5000 mAh, and am very satisfied with speeds, and LOVE climbing ability even on just 5S. That big prop really pulls.
                                    full size cub flies at 60mph, so my 80in ws cub should fly at 11mph. that would be so really fancy flying cause the stall speed is 17mph!

Joe
                                    Platt: fw190d9 Dynaflite:PT-19 IMP:Macchi202 ESM:fw190 ESM:Tank, Hien Jackson:DH-2 BH:macchi200 Extr:fw190 Holman:me109F H9spit2 FL:F4u,spit 9 FW:me262 GP:us60, Stuka, cub, F4u PZ:me109, albi EF Hurri, T-28 FMS: 2x fw190, me109 Lone Star:Skat Kat RSCombat:2xfw190d9

Comment

• LOL You can't scale air... Bummer though. The J3 Cub flies just fast enough to kill you if you crash! :Scared:;)

Comment

• wouldn't it be great if we could then the 30mph wind on our corsair turns into a 3.75mph wind. we could fly everyday!

Joe

Comment

• Originally posted by Hardway View Post
                                          LOL You can't scale air... Bummer though. The J3 Cub flies just fast enough to kill you if you crash! :Scared:;)
                                          Exactly! I once made this erroneous statement with regard to "scale" speeds and I was quickly slapped around and put in my place by a couple of armchair RC aeronautical engineers. I was told, in no uncertain terms, that you just can't scale down a real plane's speed to get what the model would be doing for its "scale" speed.
                                          As for this question ........................
                                          how much faster than scale do you want to go?
                                          I don't like to fly scale. I take my DC-3 and do loops and rolls with it. I have jets that will hover - not very "scale", is it? I believe "flying scale" is a term that some people use because speed makes them nervous or it scares them when it comes to models. Some won't or can't fly fast so they say they prefer to fly "scale". Not that there's anything wrong with that BUT, they shouldn't frown upon others if they want more speed or fly a certain way. My Corsairs and all of my planes, for that matter, the faster they are and the more powerful they can reasonably be made, the better - but that's ME. You wanna "fly scale" (whatever that means anyway), that's just fine. I won't dump on your parade.

PS. My FMS Corsair whistles when it comes diving down over the runway. (You know - "whistling death"?) My FW/FL Corsair does not whistle. That's not scale, is it? But I'm OK with that.

BTW, I've seen RC models of flying Dumbo. So, what's the "scale" speed for Dumbo? I mean, just how fast can a real elephant fly? Can anyone remember? And what about pigs? What's the "scale" airspeed for pigs? I recall someone saying it's about 25 snots and any faster than that, is oinkless. :Silly:

Comment

Working...
                                          X